Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

As a side note anyone looking to get this cheap on PC I'm sure will find keys on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

Just wondering, would you have to have played previous instalments of this game in order to properly enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Corvo wrote: »
    Just wondering, would you have to have played previous instalments of this game in order to properly enjoy it?

Devs said that it is very open to newbies to the series as Witcher 2 was very full on apparently if you didn't know the backstory. In this, the prologue will catch you up on what has happened so far and explains the world around you.

Edit: Found a great article explaining each of the main characters and The Wild Hunt itself in preperation for the game. No spoilers, info from the last couple of games.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/this-is-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-350?utm_source=vicetwitterca

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭naughto

How much like skyrim will this be was not a big fan of skyrim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

naughto wrote: »
    Well they're both open world RPG's so they will have similar elements like questing, exploration, lore etc. etc. But from the gameplay's we've seen and information from the dev's the questing in the Witcher is going to be a whole lot less "go to the same generic cave, get my item, return for gold," (something that ruined Skyrims long-term playability on console) and a whole lot more diverse and entertaining. The combat is more similar to Dark Souls i.e. Hack and dodge, hack and dodge than Skyrim's run in all guns blazing and bate the ****e out of dragon..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The Witcher series is very different from Elder Scrolls. The two most important to me are that it doesn't scale. You will meet enemies you can't beat and will simply have to leave and come back later (which is far more satisfying to me) and secondly you can't be a jack of all trades. You pick the skills you want but don't expect to have all skills by the end of the game.

The world looks a lot more diverse and less shallow (don't mistake me I loved Skyrim but it is shallow imo) overall. CDPR were big fans of the Gothic games (gothic 1 to 3 are true classics in my mind) and have cited them as influences on many occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Maybe try a copy of The Witcher 2 and imagine it put into an open world setting?
    It's probably cheap now.

It's a very plot heavy series, so getting the lead up would be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

The combat should be meaningful, rather than stand and slash until you need to pause and eat 3 wheels of cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The biggest difference between Skyrim and the Witcher games is probably the story. It's an engaging, immersive and mature story with interesting characters.

Plus it will often let you choose the outcome of quests with varying consequences and there'll be different paths to choose from in the main storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's much closer to the likes of Dragon Age or Mass Effect than Skyrim.

2 minutes of Ciri Gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

2 minutes of Ciri Gameplay

Cool. Didn't even know she was in this. Certainly not as a playable character.

Is it DLC or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Gbear wrote: »
    Cool. Didn't even know she was in this. Certainly not as a playable character.

Is it DLC or something?

No. Is part of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you control her for a short time in a linear sequence of the game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not supposed to be short though. I've heard a good few hours controlling her, mainly as flashbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

playstation store game and the add on's for 84.99 or gamestop 75.99 for stand alone game...

If the game lives up to the hype then you will certainly get your moneys worth, might go for the download option, I have been doing this alot with the ps4 compared to the ps3.. downside of downloading is that no trade in option...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

€75.99 for any game is utterly insane. Do not pay that. Even Gamestop will be cheaper. Nope, i was wrong :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im getting it for 54 on amazon for ps4, I have it are ordered a while though .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Had $60 still on my PSN account so preordered it for $53.

Absolutely wasting your money on the likes of gamestop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Actually its saying the total is 44 in sterling when I click on the order , so that's closer to 60 :/

Review embargo is up the 12th of May, one week before release. Shows some confidence.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Review embargo is up the 12th of May, one week before release. Shows some confidence.

10 days !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

10 days !

AhnZQb9.gif

livestream on now
    http://www.twitch.tv/gogcom

Highlights from livestream Q&A
    • There are three types of armor: heavy medium and light. Heavy armor gives more protection, but hampers stamina regeneration.
    • When fighting groups of humans there could be archers with them.
    • Focusing on one enemy will deplete his stamina (displayed as a yellow bar under his life bar), this will prevent him from blocking your attacks further.
    • You have two types of dodge, a long one (which is a roll) and a short one (which is basically a sidestep/backstep).
    • Adrenaline points are very important. They let you trigger several special effects, like casting signs using them instead of adrenaline.
    • With perfect timing on arrow deflection you can actually send an arrow back to the one that shot it.
    • Slotting skills let you link them to mutagens in order to increase their effect.
    • Of course you can combine different trees, but you’ll need to experiment on what is best to fit your playstyle.
    • If you focus your build on swordplay, you’ll have trouble casting many signs in combat. You can compensate with runes and adrenaline.
    • Alchemy is a little more challenging and complex, but it’s very rewarding.
    • If you slotted a rune in a sword, but you want to remove it, you can either destroy the sword and get the rune back, or destroy the rune and get the sword back to having an empty slot.
    • Slotting a rune in a sword activates a visual particle effect on the blade.
    • If you counter an enemy while holding higher ground than him, there’s a chance that he’ll fall.
    • There are explosive barrels that can explode when set fire to.
    • Alchemy recipes can be bought or looted.
    • Every point spent into the signs tree increases you stamina regeneration. That means that if you max the signs tree you you’ll be able to spam spells.
    • Places of power are monoliths you can find in the word and meditate at. They give you a buff and a skill point. Exploring you will let you build up faster and in a more flexible way.
    • If you have enough sign power you have a chance to one-shot enemies.
    • You can unlock a second form of each sign, which you can equip. The second form isn’t necessarily better. They’re situational. One version is cast by tapping the button, the other by holding it pressed.
    • Your horse can have equipment as well, a trophy, saddlebags, a saddle and blinders. They all are visible on your horse.
    • The saddlebags increase the weight limit you can carry, the saddle increases the horse’s stamina, the blinders increase the threshold at which your horse will panic.
    • The level of difficulty are named: Just the Story, Story and Sword, Blood and Broken Bones and Death March.
    • On higher difficulty levels meditation does not regenerate health. Geralt’s stats also don’t scale as well.
    • Your decisions will carry over from your save game of the previous games (on PC), but armor, weapons and items won’t. You can also choose not to import a save game. Choices from The Witcher 2 will be very important in The Witcher 3.
    • Toxicity fades over time. The alchemy skill tree actually plays on toxicity. Certain effects happen only when you’re intoxicated.
    • When you upgrade armor, it will change visuals and look cooler. Eventually you’ll have to let go of a piece of armor, since you can upgrade only up to a point.
    • Geralt’s speed will be affected by terrain like swamps. He will be slowed down when going uphill.
    • There are some quests that you can only accept or continue only during a certain time of day. Certain monsters also don’t return to their lair until a certain time.
    • Preloads for PC will be available in a “matter of days.”
    • You cannot turn off blood, as CD Projekt is creating a mature game.
    • Fist fighting has been reworked with the removal of quicktime events.
    • You cannot get a new horse permanently. You can tame wild horses with the axii sign, and you can ride them, but they won’t be permanent.
    • You can turn off health bars on enemies, but it will make the game harder, as the health bars flash when you can counterattack. That won’t happen if the health bar is invisible.
    • Side quest choices can affect the main story.
    • You can craft different bolts for your crossbow, exploding ones, bleeding ones, knockback ones and more. The crossbow is your main weapon underwater. You can also upgrade it and get new ones.
    • You can threaten NPCs that are too rude to you, and they will run away in fear, but that might upset the guards in cities.
    • If you get “killed” by a guard, you get knocked out and you lose part of your gold.
    • You can finish the game without using ranged weapons. You don’t need to use a specific strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Highlights from livestream Q&A
    • Your decisions will carry over from your save game of the previous games (on PC), but armor, weapons and items won’t. You can also choose not to import a save game. Choices from The Witcher 2 will be very important in The Witcher 3.

Wasn't paying attention so not sure this was mentioned before, hope it'll be something decent like seeing certain characters again (provided they survived the previous games).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Wasn't paying attention so not sure this was mentioned before, hope it'll be something decent like seeing certain characters again (provided they survived the previous games).

have they mentioned anything for console players that'll let you make a series of choices to reflect what you did in the previous game (kind of like mass effect 2's interactive comic when the game came to playstation after the first game being an xbox title?). I have witcher 2 sitting in my backlog of games with gold, and I wouldn't mind giving it a go before I dive into this.

Advertisement