Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday 2019

Options
  • 04-11-2019 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭

Now that Brexit is off again for another while, Black Friday shopping is saved for another year, esp for Amazon UK.
    If memory serves me right, they started their sales in the 2 week preceding the Friday (29th this year) so should start in 2 weeks.
    Not sure I'll be getting much unless there are some serious savings on certain products as I've invested a fair bit over the summer on smart tech for a home renovation project. What's on my wish list is on the more expensive side, such as a robo vacuum cleaner so that may be as much as I go for.
    Maybe some smart blinds.
    And a spare hue bulb or two.

Ahh crap :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

I'm on the hunt this year to replace my in house wifi mesh with some ubiquity gear i think, so i can "easily" extend the damn wifi outside, and install a few shelly 1's and POE camera's here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Hoping to pick a ring 2 doorbell. Raging I didn't pick it up a few weeks ago when it was 150 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Junior

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    I'm on the hunt this year to replace my in house wifi mesh with some ubiquity gear i think, so i can "easily" extend the damn wifi outside, and install a few shelly 1's and POE camera's here and there.

I have been using https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com to track them on Amazon with the last while.

Junior wrote: »
    I have been using https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com to track them on Amazon with the last while.

Just need to figure out what all i really need ..

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Installed a Ubuquiti UniFi setup in my home a few weeks ago. Got 2 of their PoE cameras which are brilliant but as yet the UniFi Protect ecosystem doesnt integrate with anything else which is fustrating. You can get an RTSP stream but not motion events :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

beanian wrote: »
    Installed a Ubuquiti UniFi setup in my home a few weeks ago. Got 2 of their PoE cameras which are brilliant but as yet the UniFi Protect ecosystem doesnt integrate with anything else which is fustrating. You can get an RTSP stream but not motion events :mad:

Did you get a deal somewhere?

beanian wrote: »

I think i'd go Foscam my self tbh, as opposed to the G3 ?? cameras from ubiquiti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

Official BF sales start on Amazon this Friday but some good deals on there already. Echo show 7" and Ring Floodlight Cam for £169.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Blink XT2, two camera system: €162

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

paulbok wrote: »
    Official BF sales start on Amazon this Friday but some good deals on there already. Echo show 7" and Ring Floodlight Cam for £169.

That's a great price for just the camera, crazy good with the echo included

• Advertisement

I have four of the original blink outdoor cameras, and they are brilliant. Would highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Looking for a smart door bell, anyone have any opinions on nest Vs ring smart door bell?

EletricMan wrote: »
    Looking for a smart door bell, anyone have any opinions on nest Vs ring smart door bell?

have the Ring 2 in my in-laws'. it's grand. Charge doesn't seem to last very long, but my missus has motion sensing on.

I wouldn't be arsed getting one for myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

EletricMan wrote: »

Installed the Ring doorbell pro 2 weeks ago and very happy with it. Going to get the floodlight camera for the back garden now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah I have a ring 2 as well and it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Blink XT2, two camera system: €162

I wonder will these drop any further over Black Friday? £45 off atm, tempted to pull the trigger

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

EletricMan wrote:

I've had both.

Overall I like the nest hello

But I miss the access to the motion detector to switch other things like a porch light that ring offer

They are very similar

I switched to nest as I'd more Google speakers than Alexa speakers

I'd the Eco show too

I've an Android TV with a built in Chromecast and assistant so calling up nest cameras to cast on it is smooth

TBH I switched based on other bits of kit and the casting options with nest.

Ring cameras have improved in this space now, and nest have become more closed again with less integration than they had when I bought them as Google pushes it's own automation features over generic options.

TBH I think you'll like both.

I'm very marginally a Google assistant fan over Alexa, but many of the reasons to select one over the other change over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Stoner wrote: »
    I've had both.
    But I miss the access to the motion detector to switch other things like a porch light that ring offer

How were you accessing the motion detector? I am aware of IFTTT but find the lag makes it useless. Stringify was great for that (little lag and more complex rules) until it closed down and I have yet to find an alternative.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

2011 wrote: »

Got the Google Nest Hub for £69 with delivery via Addresspal this morning off of the Google UK store, £60 off, down from £119.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Decoda wrote: »
    Got the Google Nest Hub for £69 with delivery via Addresspal this morning off of the Google UK store, £60 off, down from £119.

D.

Are Addresspal better to use than Parcel Motel with the Google UK store?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Are Addresspal better to use than Parcel Motel with the Google UK store?

Not sure, I tried to use my Parcel Motel address but for some reason I couldn't seem to enter it in a format that they accepted. It took the addresspal first time so used that instead.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Took my parcel motel just now

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

The black friday week has started on the google store, can anybody remember if the prices dropped any more last year on actual black friday or did the offers stay the same as the rest of the week? , looking at the nest wifi mesh from the uk store.... ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dam099 wrote:
    How were you accessing the motion detector? I am aware of IFTTT but find the lag makes it useless. Stringify was great for that (little lag and more complex rules) until it closed down and I have yet to find an alternative.

Sorry, yes it was IFTTT.

The lag for me was not too bad.

I miss stringify too

Home assistant should do it too though.

That would be faster on your own rpi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

paulbok wrote:

Must have been a Lightening Deal? Nothing like that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Must have been a Lightening Deal? Nothing like that now.

Keep an eye out each day. Wouldn't be surprised to see it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Anyone get any good deals?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Anyone get any good deals?

Arlo Pro 2 _ Amazon.com
    Eufy 15C Max _ Amazon.es
    Stellar 7000 pots _ Arnotts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

I got 3 Philips hue GU10 bulbs,the new type for 79.99, considering they're usually nearly 50 quid each that's alright,I needed 4 so I got the 4th at near full price for 46,so saved about 65 to 70 quid altogether

Advertisement