Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rainfall Warning : Fri 30th / Sat 31st Aug 2019

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy rain arriving here near Tralee now.

ZPxjZEV.png

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

A day of heavy rain, and it's still falling...between Oranmore and Athenry. This is more akin to weather in Autumn or Winter moreso than August judging by my pictures from this time of year on previous occasions....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pauldry

Another 5.4mm in Belmullet

Sligo has 18mm today
    Newport 40mm
    Athenry about 30mm sick of adding
    Finner about 35mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Absolutely appalling rain in Galway as I type. It’s lashing all day long and only seems to be getting heavier.

I know “it always rains in Galway” but I can’t remember an August as bad as this, it’s been incessant:( I’m trying to get a building job done right now though which is making me acutely aware of it. Crap timing.

Here’s hoping for the fabled Indian summer but a glance at the forecast for next week looks like it’s more of the same FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

47.8mm now in Castlebar, looks like we will hit 50mm by midnight.

Actually looking back we had 81mm on the 14th of October 2015, which was the most that fell in 24 hours in the last 60 years here.

It was actually the 14th of November 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Have no figures here but its been moderate to heavy rain non stop since around 3pm (after about 20 hours of light rain before that) and judging by the radar we're nowhere near done yet.

Tops off one of the worst summer weeks in memory for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Xenji wrote: »
    47.8mm now in Castlebar, looks like we will hit 50mm by midnight.

Actually looking back we had 81mm on the 14th of October 2015, which was the most that fell in 24 hours in the last 60 years here.
    Not sure that's the right date as mid-October 2015 was anticyclonic, before a change occurred on the 20th ushering in a more unsettled end.

EDIT: You mean 14th November 2015 when the remnants of a hurricane hit Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

33mm so far sw donegal wettest day in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭pauldry

Were still only at 18mm in Sligo

In fact since 9pm theres been barely any

Tonight though another 10mm

Nowhere near the record of Desmond for my rain gauge. There was over 90mm then. Our alley flooded completely. Never has since

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not sure that's the right date as mid-October 2015 was anticyclonic, before a change occurred on the 20th ushering in a more unsettled end.

EDIT: You mean 14th November 2015 when the remnants of a hurricane hit Ireland?

Yeah you are right, looking again it was November and we had over 350mm of rain that month.

• Advertisement

Backend of the front now showing on latest radar. Clearance should push on to the Mayo coast in next hour or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Backend of the front now showing on latest radar. Clearance should push on to the Mayo coast in next hour or so.

Two slow moving to clear in an hour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

https://twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1167547939847360513?s=20

Rainfall today so far, heaviest of the rain moving in now.

v040ldz.gif

So 53.4mm for the 24 hour period in Castlebar and currently we are having the heaviest falls of the day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The rain we have had here in Castlebar has just been extraordinary. It feels odd to look out the window and record what feels like an almost everyday event but I can't recall such a sustained downpour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfxb1v1JiGc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

As heavy as its been all day here, I think the scientific term is 'pissing down'

Very heavy rain going through Tralee now.

14mm

cAGYmft.png

Very heavy rain going through Tralee now.

14mm

Stopped now in the Westport area. The amount that has come down would rival any decent winter day. Back garden flooded. Manhole cover removed to let excess flow away. Normally only do this for the wettest days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Some nice rain falling here now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Woken from sleep to the sound of a deluge on the roof...someone tell it to stop...we cannot take much more rain here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Some mad rain in Cork. Love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thought the rain was going to come through the bedroom window just now. 5 mins of very heavy rain, here in Wicklow. Horizontal rain, woke us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭OldRio

Non stop rain for over 12 hours here in Leitrim. Woke up at 4am by torrential rain on the roof and windows.
    The ground is utterly saturated.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Highest rainfall total, for ME stations yesterday, up to midnight, was 48.7mm at Newport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

It was absolutely correct that Limerick was removed from the Yellow Warning.

I didn't hear much rain last night. Just a pitter patter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

30mm of rain from that system here in West Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Premises in Naas flooded overnight. Rain woke me up thought it was going to come through the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Monthly total now 299.8mm at Athenry up to 0900.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Beautiful sunny morning here in Cork City.

Going by the timeline of the warning it worked out at just shy of 65mm of rain in Castlebar up to 06.00.

• Advertisement

18.6mm for event here near Tralee

UmQMUAO.png

EpImnDW.png

TNmQSST.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I finally recorded some rain last night after just over a week since 22nd August, 1.0mm was recorded between 4 and 7 am - didn't hear anything. It's much cooler since the rain . It's currently 14.1C and seemingly still falling, since the high of 17.4C at 2am. DPs have been tumbling since the rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

some very heavy rain for a while around 3am, which brings an end to the all too brief dry spell, but compared to the west the amount of rain we got was very small in comparison. Ground dry here already and feeling much cooler today but there is plenty of nice sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

More rain fell here between 12.30am & 3.30am this morning than what did over the entirety of yesterday. Event total 41.1mm.

A number of stations have now breached the 200mm for this month inc Valentia, Newport, Knock, Claremorris and Markee Castle. Not sure about Mt. Dillon given that there seems to be an issue with the totals as extracted from the daily reports and the totals given in the monthly reports, but given the biblical rain last night, it is a good contender. Galway city (NUI) monthly total on 283.3mm but may come close to the 300mm after today.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Lampost watching the rain last night - I know.. sad. Rainfall rate was about 30mm/h at this time.

https://streamable.com/hrqmr

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    some very heavy rain for a while around 3am, which brings an end to the all too brief dry spell, but compared to the west the amount of rain we got was very small in comparison. Ground dry here already and feeling much cooler today but there is plenty of nice sunshine.

A little over 5mm is all we got here, im about 25km north of you, a few of heavy showers today have added another 4mm, but has been nice in between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got 3.3mm of rain from the front on Friday night. I'd say Electric Picnic got similar and were happy with that.
    Interestingly there was 2.8mm from showers on Saturday afternoon.
    No rain until yesterday evening around 7pm when there was a brief bit heavy shower.
    Dodging rain so far on Tuesday.

Advertisement