Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First human traffickers convicted.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I am assuming a person enslaved to prostitution would present differently but i have no metric as i have no experience as a customer. FWIW i agree with an earlier poster, this trade is as old as time, it needs to be legalised and regulated to protect the workers.
    I would judge the customer.
    If you saw any sign of distress or hesitation how the hell could you....

How the hell could you pay to have sex with a sex worker in the first place. I suspect a strong degree of desperation on both sides : supplier and consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭gw80

Almost every single person that manage to leave the shores of Libya/Tunisia has been subjected to human trafficking, that's generally how they get through the central Mediterranean migrant route. In almost all cases, trafficking ends at the shore. Some are even ****ed overboard by the traffickers.

The trafficking for the purpose of prostitution in Ireland by those means would be very very small. While I don't doubt the story, it would be the exception and not the rule. To be honest, it really doesn't add up.

Anyway, getting back to your comment, which the real purpose was to denigrate the humanitarian efforts of the Naval Service who were directed by the government to perform the task. Their responsibility is to get people out of the water alive and onto shore, irrespective of circumstance. Unless you believe that aiding vulnerable people in dire circumstances should not be done, and those crossing should simply be left to die. Well, good luck with that.

Ultimately, the responsibility for registering, vetting, detaining and deporting migrants lies with the authorities of the landing country, Italy or Malta.

For context, the real reason for migration from that area is because Libya was a failed state. While Ghaddafi ruled, the EU used to pay him Millions of $ per year to counter migration to Europe. Eventually the EU stopped, so then migration increased and Ghaddafi was now looking for Billions to stop it again.

Ultimately, irregular migration was happening, with or without EU Naval Asset involvement. NGO fleets were also there, so they would reach the EU no matter what.

All the Irish Naval service did was to try to reduce the deaths......while also having a limited anti-piracy mandate. Suggesting the are complicit in facilitating prostitution et al, is frankly being a c.unt.
    Don't really appreciate being called a c.unt, but you do you,.
    How many lives would be saved if they just start returning them back to the African coast, how long before word got out that you will be wasting your time and money to make the trip in the first place,
    Then you would see lives being saved,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Of course not, id rather they didn't put their life in danger to make the journey.

What a stupid post

For many, NOT making the journey is putting their life in danger. Just think about the level of desperation it takes to bring your child in one of those boats.

For many, NOT making the journey is putting their life in danger. Just think about the level of desperation it takes to bring your child in one of those boats.

Africa's population is exploding, expected to hit more than 3-4 billion people in the next few decades. Nigeria alone will have up to 700,000,000 people.

How many of them do you want to move to Europe? I know you won't answer this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

For many it's about Money and nothing more ,sky news interviewed on chap who was rescued who happily told the reporter he owned several businesses in Africa and was coming to Europe to make more Money ,others interviewed else where claimed to be Syrians fleeing the war ,yet when asked questions in Syrian they looked totally confused and didn't understand Syrian ..

• Advertisement

Meanwhile reports are coming in that the Belarus authorities are laying on extra planes to fly in Iraqis and Syrians to move them to Lithuania and the EU at $5000 a person. Lithuania says a state of emergency may be needed as hundreds are flying in every day.

So now we have non EU governments getting involved in the illegal immigration trade either for money or political purposes.

We, Homo Sapiens, the last time I looked, fit the definition of animal and the OP has made no mention of colour so perhaps back up\off

An animal is a living creature such as a dog, lion, or rabbit, rather than a bird, fish, insect, or human being. ... a habitat for plants and animals. 3. countable noun. Any living creature, including a human being, can be referred to as an animal.

What would be interesting is crime rates by original nationality/ethnic minority groupings, ignoring the barrier created by Alan Shatter's mega citizenship drive?
    It's just gas like. The topic is about trafficking - a horrific matter - but more concern from Overheal about it being mentioned that they are Nigerian, and this being noted as not the first time.

Would that poster raise the same objection if it was a Slavic gang of traffickers (and same is a big problem) and others noting it's not the first time? I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Well did you buy drinks or dinner or something else for a partner.

That's paying

You can pay physically, emotionally, intellectually or financially, it's all a form of payment.

The difference is society deems certain methods of payment acceptable and others unacceptable.

It is not really transactional like you say, if I buy dinner, gifts, give compliments or make them laugh at no point do they have an obligation to return the other leg of the transaction. They may choose to or they might not, it is not payment for services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Africa's population is exploding, expected to hit more than 3-4 billion people in the next few decades. Nigeria alone will have up to 700,000,000 people.

How many of them do you want to move to Europe? I know you won't answer this question.

They should start filling up boxes with condoms and the pill with the next foreign aid deliveries. I find it hard to understand why poor people keep on having large families .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

And somehow it be are the responsibility of the EU to look after it all while rest of world hides and giggles at us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,152 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Gatling wrote: »
    I beginning to think we need a massive swing to the right across the whole of Europe and governments enmass saying sorry no more ,all illegal arrivals will be returned to countries of origins ,and confiscate ngo vessels and ban them from operation at sea .
    Use naval blockades in hot spots to turn around or deter boats getting into the med

Beginning to think that? It is all you go on about.

And somehow it be are the responsibility of the EU to look after it all while rest of world hides and giggles at us.

There is opposition in large parts of the EU to what is going on, unfortunately it's practically non existent in Ireland, all our political parties and official opposition are gutless when it comes to immigration.

I see Sinn Fein are surging in the polls, they are going to have a hard time reconciling their nationalist policies they use in the North with their woke, pro mass-immigration policies they exude in the South. Anyway that's for another day... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Beginning to think that? It is all you go on about.

He has a point though, unless the EU puts a stop to these illegals landing on European soil by boat it will get worse as the population of Africa continues to rise.

A time is going to have to come when they will just have to be stopped at sea and forced to return home.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Whatever happened the guys who were doing the same at Dublin Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Lurleen wrote: »
    It's just gas like. The topic is about trafficking - a horrific matter - but more concern from Overheal about it being mentioned that they are Nigerian, and this being noted as not the first time.

Would that poster raise the same objection if it was a Slavic gang of traffickers (and same is a big problem) and others noting it's not the first time? I have my doubts.

As much as they are taken for our own, by confetti throwers I’d rather even in this murky instance they might be at least mistaken for our own.

Not that we’d ever indulge in this filth…. it’s just not in our dna, need to get a handle before Ireland loses a sense of itself and truly does go to the dogs

Advertisement