Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First human traffickers convicted.

Options

Comments

Overheal wrote: »
    Are we dehumanizing brown people again today. I know they're criminals, and great they were convicted for such a horrible thing, but animals? Cast an awful light about what you are really looking to stir up with this thread OP.

These indentured servitude schemes are not new - in Colonial era America it used to be an acceptable legal practice. Should never be allowed to happen again of course, but I hope you're not trying to act as though this type of plot is a Nigerian creation.

Where you in the thread talking about the dehumanisation of white people when similar was said about the scumbag Maurice Robinson, or is it only when it's said about black scumbags that you care?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Gradius wrote: »
    There's more than a few ngo's that are involved in people trafficking. Their salaries could easily be broken down "per person".

Just so happens to be legal for now.

If it is legal, then it's not trafficking, by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

I wonder how many trafficked women and girls the irish navy have brought into Europe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

MkSavage wrote: »
    Even though it would make life much safe for sex workers?

That is the problem in this country. The argument against is a moral one led by the church (Ruhama). Very little concern for the actual sex workers.
    The goal is still to stop the activity even though that has been proved impossible over and over again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

gw80 wrote: »
    I wonder how many trafficked women and girls the irish navy have brought into Europe

Almost every single person that manage to leave the shores of Libya/Tunisia has been subjected to human trafficking, that's generally how they get through the central Mediterranean migrant route. In almost all cases, trafficking ends at the shore. Some are even ****ed overboard by the traffickers.

The trafficking for the purpose of prostitution in Ireland by those means would be very very small. While I don't doubt the story, it would be the exception and not the rule. To be honest, it really doesn't add up.

Anyway, getting back to your comment, which the real purpose was to denigrate the humanitarian efforts of the Naval Service who were directed by the government to perform the task. Their responsibility is to get people out of the water alive and onto shore, irrespective of circumstance. Unless you believe that aiding vulnerable people in dire circumstances should not be done, and those crossing should simply be left to die. Well, good luck with that.

Ultimately, the responsibility for registering, vetting, detaining and deporting migrants lies with the authorities of the landing country, Italy or Malta.

For context, the real reason for migration from that area is because Libya was a failed state. While Ghaddafi ruled, the EU used to pay him Millions of $ per year to counter migration to Europe. Eventually the EU stopped, so then migration increased and Ghaddafi was now looking for Billions to stop it again.

Ultimately, irregular migration was happening, with or without EU Naval Asset involvement. NGO fleets were also there, so they would reach the EU no matter what.

All the Irish Naval service did was to try to reduce the deaths......while also having a limited anti-piracy mandate. Suggesting the are complicit in facilitating prostitution et al, is frankly being a c.unt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

I am completely baffled as to how she was able to get into Ireland using a fake passport? It makes you wonder as to the real numbers making the illegal journeys across Europe and into Ireland, or who or what else is being illegally imported into the country.

The woman took part in some sort of voodoo ceremony before leaving where she took an oath to the traffickers that were arranging the journey which she thought was for “legitimate work”. She was coerced. Or/and the family intimidated. I have read about this many times before regarding cases of human trafficking all around the EU. Including the promise "a land of milk and honey", which Ireland is not. In my honest opinion, I don't agree that the victims have a right to remain in Ireland and feel that should be repatriated.

According to a report by Europol on the trafficking and exploitation of underage victims, Nigerian gangs are highly organized and are were divided into cells, typically run by females who execute the core business recruitment and exploitation, they're known as “madams”, with men working in supporting them. Each cell earns “extremely high profits” from trafficking children into 12 EU countries, including Ireland, for prostitution.

The report shows southern EU countries, such as Italy and Spain, are the main entry points in the EU for trafficked Nigerians. The victims were aged between 15 & 17, though the reports document children aged 11-15 & some aged 6-10, and even under 5. The victims were frequently subjected to physical assaults and subsequently sexually exploited and were passed from trafficker to trafficker.

Just like 4 female victims, these victims swore oats via voodoo rituals and were often promised well-paid jobs. I do wonder if they were promised a land of milk and honey by the 'Madams'....

The annual Trafficking in Persons Report 2020, puts Ireland among the worst 3 performing countries in the EU when it comes to our approach to the prevention of the crime of trafficking in human beings. Ireland has not increased its efforts to actively combat trafficking since 2019 and the year before that.

"disorderly migration often leads to exploitation, human trafficking and tragedy."

Ireland needs to get its sh*t together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Almost every single person that manage to leave the shores of Libya/Tunisia has been subjected to human trafficking, that's generally how they get through the central Mediterranean migrant route. In almost all cases, trafficking ends at the shore. Some are even ****ed overboard by the traffickers.

The trafficking for the purpose of prostitution in Ireland by those means would be very very small. While I don't doubt the story, it would be the exception and not the rule. To be honest, it really doesn't add up.

Anyway, getting back to your comment, which the real purpose was to denigrate the humanitarian efforts of the Naval Service who were directed by the government to perform the task. Their responsibility is to get people out of the water alive and onto shore, irrespective of circumstance. Unless you believe that aiding vulnerable people in dire circumstances should not be done, and those crossing should simply be left to die. Well, good luck with that.

Ultimately, the responsibility for registering, vetting, detaining and deporting migrants lies with the authorities of the landing country, Italy or Malta.

For context, the real reason for migration from that area is because Libya was a failed state. While Ghaddafi ruled, the EU used to pay him Millions of $ per year to counter migration to Europe. Eventually the EU stopped, so then migration increased and Ghaddafi was now looking for Billions to stop it again.

Ultimately, irregular migration was happening, with or without EU Naval Asset involvement. NGO fleets were also there, so they would reach the EU no matter what.

All the Irish Naval service did was to try to reduce the deaths......while also having a limited anti-piracy mandate. Suggesting the are complicit in facilitating prostitution et al, is frankly being a c.unt.

Does it not seem a bit mental NGOs have fleets?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Gatling wrote: »
    Strip them of any rights to stay here and send them back to Nigeria

Highly doubtful. House and welfare for life. All paid for by the Irish taxpayer. Followed by Irish citizenship and family reunification. I'd put money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Yes, its batsh1t crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

It seems hypocritical, to me, for us to vote for bodily autonomy on one hand in the abortion referendum but deny bodily autonomy to sex workers.

It seems the 'bodily autonomy' argument only holds sway, once women don't choose to do anything with their bodies that might fly in the face of third-wave feminist orthodoxy.

It's quite the irony, that long after the demise of the RCC in Ireland, those who pushed back against the power the church exerted over women's bodies should be pedalling the same 'saving women from themselves' bullsh1t.

Total hypocrisy.

• Advertisement

Would you prefer that more people drown?

Let's be honest, men are going to pay for sex. The male sex drive ensures that.

I have a male sex drive. I've never paid for sex, and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to pay for sex.

I'd prefer that traffickers weren't actively aided and abetted in their nefarious endeavours by NGO's

It seems the 'bodily autonomy' argument only holds sway, once women don't choose to do anything with their bodies that might fly in the face of third-wave feminist orthodoxy.

Well the third wave is over. The fourth wave believes the exact opposite.

I'd prefer that traffickers weren't actively aided and abetted in their nefarious endeavours by NGO's

And by "aided and abetted" you mean "rescued from serious risk of drowning".

And by "aided and abetted" you mean "rescued from serious risk of drowning".

Many foolhardy migrants still drown, so no.

They're flung out to sea following consultation and coordination between traffickers and NGO's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I don't agree. The customers may not be aware that the women are unwilling participants. There was a thread in the ask me anything I read recently where a woman stayed that she made a good living as a sex worker and she seems empowered in the current situation which is without regulation how is a customer supposed to differentiate between an unwilling participant and a willing one ?

Yeah you can't tell, that's why you don't pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah, no other agency here or abroad ever falls for a faked passport

Well no actually they shouldn't, its their job to spot the fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

How do you spot a genuine passport that someone has fraudulently obtained?

Well how the hell am I supposed to know I don't work in the immigration departmant at the airport.

We're supposed to have people trained to spot these things and keep our borders safe from this kind of thing but this doesn't seem to be happening.

How do you spot a genuine passport that someone has fraudulently obtained?

Why can't we use facial recognition to match the user with the official document in a database, would be impossible to fake. Or do we still have immigration authorities just glancing at passports and waving people through?

• Advertisement

I believe the problem is they create a fake identity and then succeed in getting a genuine passport. Need to stop them getting a passport in the first place.

Ya, seems very strange to me. If we scanned a person going through immigration using facial recognition and matched that photo to the official photo maintained by the immigration authorities in a passport database it would be impossible to use a fake passport (unless they managed to hack the database before hand and inserted the fake user) To me in this day and age it seems such an easy thing to stamp out.

And put in a comprehensive policy in place to get entered into the system in the first place.

You don't understand. Their real image is already on the database. They created a fake identity and they tricked the state into giving them a passport. There is nothing to stop a Nigerian producing birth certs and claiming his father was Irish.

If the state can be tricked that easy it's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember the story of the Nigerian asylum seekers who were massive drug dealers in Italy who disappeared before they could be prosecuted , turned up in tallaght with new identities and Irish citizenship .

Gatling wrote: »
    Remember the story of the Nigerian asylum seekers who were massive drug dealers in Italy who disappeared before they could be prosecuted , turned up in tallaght with new identities and Irish citizenship .

Jesus, depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I beginning to think we need a massive swing to the right across the whole of Europe and governments enmass saying sorry no more ,all illegal arrivals will be returned to countries of origins ,and confiscate ngo vessels and ban them from operation at sea .
    Use naval blockades in hot spots to turn around or deter boats getting into the med

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Helping people come into this country illegally is a crime?

Do the NGO sector know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Of course not, id rather they didn't put their life in danger to make the journey.

What a stupid post

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Screwthebeast

the worse animals are the customers who made it a profitable enterprise.

You're assuming they knew

When you wear clothes from Primark do you think of the slave conditions, the child labour and exploitation used to produce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Screwthebeast

I have a male sex drive. I've never paid for sex, and I'm pretty sure I'm never going to pay for sex.

Well did you buy drinks or dinner or something else for a partner.

That's paying

You can pay physically, emotionally, intellectually or financially, it's all a form of payment.

The difference is society deems certain methods of payment acceptable and others unacceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Mimon wrote: »
    A large proportion of prostitutes won't be willingly doing it so or having mental issues/addiction problems etc has lead them down this path.

The empowered prostitute you describe would be very rare.

No one with a conscience can justify using prostitutes.

To be clear I have never even contemplated visiting a sex worker but l do not feel it nessicary to judge either the sex worker or the customer.

Advertisement