Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat loss advice and training program

Options
  • 02-06-2021 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Hello all you fine folks

I’m carrying a lot of extra baby fat from well since I was my baby 40 odd years ago. Currently 117kg and around 35% body fat. (Maybe 32 or 37 depending on method)

How do you calculate calories to start with?

I have access to a rack, barbell, adjustable dumbells, bench and have ordered a pulley system. Anyone got any program recommendations? Not so interested in a straight strength program like 5x5 but more of a PPL split

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sharky86 wrote: »

There are lots of calculators online.

I like this one. Use KatchMcArdle method in step 8 as it considers bodyfat percent

https://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator

Diet will be more important the weight routine. There are lots of routines out there, pick one you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

For calorie tracking, My Fitness Pal would be one of the most popular apps available. There’s also one called Chronometer.

Also by all means do whatever programme you enjoy most. I would strongly recommend searching the ‘beginner strength programmes’ thread on here though. PPL probably wouldn’t be a great choice as you only train each muscle group once per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Hello all you fine folks

I’m carrying a lot of extra baby fat from well since I was my baby 40 odd years ago. Currently 117kg and around 35% body fat. (Maybe 32 or 37 depending on method)

I have access to a rack, barbell, adjustable dumbells, bench and have ordered a pulley system. Anyone got any program recommendations? Not so interested in a straight strength program like 5x5 but more of a PPL split

Thanks!

Along with fitness I would revise my diet. And try to reduce food with high fructose & sugar content to 0 grams per day at least for the first 12 month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The only advice I can give is to try make small changes that you can stick to, rather than radically changing your lifestyle.

- for example, cut back on sugar in tea or coffee (if you take it)
    - switch out a biscuit for something else, or even eliminate them.

once these changes stick, move onto addressing something else.

If you go at it too hardcore - as in, decide to go from being a couch potato to getting up at 4am to workout for 2 hours, only eat porridge with water, or some other such misery, you'll never stick at it , and indeed will likely turn to treats as a way of 'rewarding' yourself for your sacrifices.

- best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Qgirl

Hello all you fine folks

Thanks!

Where do you have majority of fat build up? Hips, legs, abdominal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Qgirl wrote: »

Nearly all of it in the belly, some on back but legs hips and arms don’t seem to hold it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Why does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

markmoto wrote: »
    Along with fitness I would revise my diet. And try to reduce food with high fructose & sugar content to 0 grams per day at least for the first 12 month.

Why would you completely remove fructose?

So no tomatoes in a salad, or no apple as a to-go snack when tight for time? Absolute nonsense. People need nutrition guides based on the real world not some fanciful exclusion diet that builds notions of good and bad foods.

OP correctly calculate your TDEE, and accurately weigh and measure your food and stick to your calorie allowance as closely as possible on a daily basis and absolutely rigidly on a weekly basis. Focus on colourful fruit and veg and high protein whole foods where possible to ensure you get sufficient macro and micro nutrients. Use MyFitnessPal or similar.

Manage your calories and you will learn and find foods that work for you. Learn that if you’re within your calories for the day, it’s okay to have some chocolate on the couch once you manage the quantity. Learn that if you have a low calorie week, having a meal out, or a takeaway, or a few drinks at the weekend, is something to be encouraged, once you are honest with the calories.

Nearly all of it in the belly, some on back but legs hips and arms don’t seem to hold it at all

Have you ever done blood sugar test HbA1C, free from your GP?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Why does it matter?

This way you can see hormonal pathways, body type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Have you ever done blood sugar test HbA1C, free from your GP?

Thanks, I’m not diabetic thankfully. Fairly healthy food selection I just eat too much it

Thanks, I’m not diabetic thankfully. Fairly healthy food selection I just eat too much it

But if you never done how do you know? : )

This way you can see hormonal pathways, body type.
    Not really.
    He’s male, 117kg and around 35% body fat. The fact he’s carrying fat on his belly with those stats is entirely normal. There’s no hormonal insight there. And the suggestion of diabetes based on two posts is pretty inappropriate.

Mellor wrote: »
    Not really.
    He’s male, 117kg and around 35% body fat. The fact he’s carrying fat on his belly with those stats is entirely normal. There’s no hormonal insight there. And the suggestion of diabetes based on two posts is pretty inappropriate.

No one made suggestion of diabetes.
    But if he would go to GP with the same questions he end up with ref. to blood tests including hba1c

Obviously you are not a doc of any kind.

You implied he should be checked. Which is inappropriate and ridiculous.
    I never said I was a doctor. :confused:

Are you claiming you are qualified to give out medical advice based on two short posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

But if he would go to GP with the same questions he end up with ref. to blood tests including hba1c

Have a protein shake and chill out

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

don't mind them, there is few long established trolls in Fitness/Nutrition forums who know little about health scene but waffle all day long about fitness equipment and branched-chain amino acids in a form of strawberry/vanilla protein powders. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

markmoto wrote: »
    don't mind them, there is few long established trolls in Fitness/Nutrition forums who know little about health scene but waffle all day long about fitness equipment and branched-chain amino acids in a form of strawberry/vanilla protein powders. :D

Irony.

Advertisement