Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out-of-control’ Chinese rocket falling to Earth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Predicted reentry has moved forward about 35 mins, and uncertainty narrowed from plus/minus 16 hours to 8 hours... current reentry predicted north of New Zealand. If that moves forward another 23 to 33 mins roughly, it's over North America/ USA, forward 45 mins to 1 hour it's over Africa

https://aerospace.org/reentries/cz-5b-rocket-body-id-48275

So pretty much be prepared to put your head between your legs and kiss goodbye to your arse if you're in those areas

Total lack of concern by the CCP (no surprise) throwing stuff in to orbit and waiting to see where it crashes

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Reminds me of donnie darko

Can we talk about the Chinese space programme for a minute.

Like, they're not thick.

They could have figured out where it would be coming back in and when just as easily as the aerospace crew above. Easier then these sites, as they had exact figures.

Are they sick?

Perhaps they want people to be required to crack their Acme umbrellas for the first weekend of the summer after a pandemic that their gross animal abuses (or biochemical weapons research) triggered. Keep us on our toes. (not Ireland, but humanity generally?)

I think they're probably just pricks.

I've heard it reported that there are so many people in China that there is much less value placed on individual human lives. However if it happens to kill a feen, I just don't know how the individuals responsible will live with themselves knowing they've dropped a bus out of space on top of someone.

Definitely taking the mick.

Incredible. Something related to a space program falls to Earth like has happened countless times before, and you somehow make that a commentary on how much they value human lives.

Since American-made satellites and rockets have crashed to Earth far more, do they care about life even less?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Incredible. Something related to a space program falls to Earth like has happened countless times before, and you somehow make that a commentary on how much they value human lives.

Since American-made satellites and rockets have crashed to Earth far more, do they care about life even less?
    American ones fell by accident afaik.

Chinese plan on doing this 9 more times.
    Also, not "even less" but "equally little" for the yanks probably.

I mean if the pandemic has shown anything it's that human life is utterly worthless to certain governments.

American ones fell by accident afaik.

Chinese plan on doing this 9 more times.

And they're doing this because they have such a large population, they care less about individual life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fritzelly wrote:
    Total lack of concern by the CCP (no surprise) throwing stuff in to orbit and waiting to see where it crashes

More or less what all other nations have been doing all along, we re hardly littering space as well as the planet, are we?

We were supposed to have flying cars by now and be post-money and have conquered disease. Instead here we are, still apes, throwing stuff wildly up into the sky and wondering where it will land.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Smaller pieces of space debris burn up in the atmosphere before they reach the earth, larger pieces like this are usually given a controlled reentry, so they fall in the ocean

And they're doing this because they have such a large population, they care less about individual life?
    Presumably.

Look at their human rights record (and America's and the UK's and loads of other places whose populations are absurdly, unnecessarily and unsustainably large).

I get that their own population is seemingly expendable (sealing people into internment camps during covid with no treatment etc) but like you can't go dropping busses on random countries... that should, and might well be regarded as some kind of act of war. It won't fly in feckin Canada if that's where it lands (pun intended).

Surely controlled reentry can't be that much more difficult to plan. Its pathetic.

Far fewer of their population died because of Covid-19. The West are the ones who treated their populations as expendable.

• Advertisement

Far fewer of their population died because of Covid-19. The West are the ones who treated their populations as expendable.

All humans are expendable in the modern world, look at the way we treat each other, all nations are as bad as each other

If this is a feature of other space programmes I 100% withdraw my statement specific to China being irresponsible, but I've never heard of another country letting this happen.

Anyway best of luck to NA, NZ and Africa from 8pm tonight. :D

We were supposed to have flying cars by now and be post-money and have conquered disease. Instead here we are, still apes, throwing stuff wildly up into the sky and wondering where it will land.

Elon Musk has a flying car. Up there, somewhere.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    All humans are expendable in the modern world, look at the way we treat each other, all nations are as bad as each other

Humans treat each other better than at any time in human history. And no, not all nations treat their people equally badly.

Humans treat each other better than at any time in human history. And no, not all nations treat their people equally badly.

Very questionable, humanity has moved into a very covert form of abuse to one another, this takes many different forms from debt peonage, selling goods and services to one another that aren't actually safe for human consumption, and beyond, we actually haven't truly advanced in many ways

If this is a feature of other space programmes I 100% withdraw my statement specific to China being irresponsible, but I've never heard of another country letting this happen.

https://www-space-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.space.com/amp/13049-6-biggest-spacecraft-falls-space.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16204527838584&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.space.com%2F13049-6-biggest-spacecraft-falls-space.html

Satellites and rockets falling back to Earth is just an inevitability. It's why satellites have to boost themselves to keep in orbit.

In the coming decades, loads of non-Chinese stuff will crash to Earth, and you won't care.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Very questionable, humanity has moved into a very covert form of abuse to one another, this takes many different forms from debt peonage, selling goods and services to one another that aren't actually safe for human consumption, and beyond, we actually haven't truly advanced in many ways

Far too pessimistic in my opinion. Earth gets better every single day.

Far too pessimistic in my opinion. Earth gets better every single day.

Partially disagree, elements are improving, but critical elements are rapidly disimproving, this is very evident socially, politically, economically and environmentally, this is what's called being realistic and honest with ourselves

https://www-space-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.space.com/amp/13049-6-biggest-spacecraft-falls-space.html?amp_gsa=1&amp_js_v=a6&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16204527838584&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.space.com%2F13049-6-biggest-spacecraft-falls-space.html

Satellites and rockets falling back to Earth is just an inevitability. It's why satellites have to boost themselves to keep in orbit.

In the coming decades, loads of non-Chinese stuff will crash to Earth, and you won't care.

How do you know I won't care?

If somebody points out to that a piece of tech has been launched by a particular country which will fall to earth, we reserve the right to be mildly irritated by that country's actions because of the wider implications of their recklessness.

(ie killing people /destroying somewhere /littering)

How do you know I won't care?

If somebody points out to that a piece of tech has been launched by a particular country which will fall to earth, we reserve the right to be mildly irritated by that country's actions because of the wider implications of their recklessness.

(ie killing people /destroying somewhere /littering)

I know you won't care because you're in here saying they did this because they don't care about individual lives. You're talking about camps and Covid-19 for some reason.

Stuff like this is just a way for people to be anti-Chinese in a socially acceptable manner.

• Advertisement

Eh it's a thread discussing a Chinese aeronautical incident and I also named several other countries which specifically have no regard for human life but that's cool.

Feel free to find me any other situation where another country has done something comparable.

Eh it's a thread discussing a Chinese aeronautical incident and I also named several other countries which specifically have no regard for human life but that's cool.

Feel free to find me any other situation where another country has done something comparable.

Skylab. ISS will be an interesting one.

Anything large in space that won't burn up entirely is at risk of this since almost all of it will come back down. The countries that put them up there are just as guilty as China is.

For something more dramatic, why not look at other things dropped by countries. Like nuclear bombs on Bikini Atoll.

So what you're saying is there's nothing comparable.

And I'M biased about China in this thread about a situation where China is currently the only country who has done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

If I recall correctly the Aussies jokingly issued NASA a littering fine for Skylab and NASA jokingly paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Some craic if it lands/crashes at Area 51.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

If I recall correctly the Aussies jokingly issued NASA a littering fine for Skylab and NASA jokingly paid it.

nazmoalex wrote: »
    Some craic if it lands/crashes at Area 51.

this is simply impossible, as it doesnt exist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Most other space capable countries will tend to deorbit any defunct satellites or equipment over the South Pacific as its the remotest place on earth and the safest place to drop this stuff without hitting anyone. The only time this doesnt happen is if a satellite were to be crippled by a strike from space junk. In this case tho this just seems to be the chinese bring negligent.

dresden8 wrote: »
    Omg i just looked this up and this is very shady.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-31/nasa-skylab-fell-to-earth-esperance-retrofocus/12282468
    As the spacecraft began to re-enter some 48 hours before its ultimate collision, a command was sent to alter the orbit away from North America "to avoid risking American lives".

Robert Gray from the US State Department would later maintain the decision was made to ensure it landed in the Southern Atlantic or Indian Ocean.

"It was our hope that we would never see it again," he told reporters.

"The most dangerous orbit it could have been on did not have it going over North America at all. It had it going over Europe, over India and over China."

While some may argue Somerville-Smith's claim of a sordid conspiracy held little stead, declassified diplomatic cables from the US Department of State — dated September 4, 1979 — lends itself to public opinion at the time about the involvement, or lack thereof, of American officials in the Skylab debacle.

Addressing reports that Skylab was "deliberately brought down near Pine Gap so that secret military espionage equipment could be recovered from it", the cables noted any attempt to reply to the "obvious untruths in the article ... would be counterproductive".

Bold America!

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is there's nothing comparable.

And I'M biased about China in this thread about a situation where China is currently the only country who has done this.

The only way you can argue that no other country has done anything like this would be to argue that satellites and rockets are perfectly reliable.

Which country has had the most stuff crash back to Earth endangering lives?

Advertisement