Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Far Cry 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭Cordell

Most of the reviews are good, 8+ and so on. There are a few that complain that it's just another Far Cry game like they were surprised, like somehow they are still hoping for a totally new take on a proven formula just because they had enough of it ... to them I say if you want a game that's not built on the Far Cry formula then go and buy a game that is not the 6th installment in the Far Cry series (or 9-10th if we count the spinoffs).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As someone who will never be inclined to pick up another Ubisoft game unless it does something widely regarded as fresh and interesting, I’m glad there are reviewers coming at it from a point of skepticism or in some cases even hostility. Reviews aren’t solely aimed at people who’ll be picking up the game (unless it proves to be an absolute stinker), nor should the review gig automatically go to someone more likely to rate the game positively. A plurality of perspectives is entirely healthy and necessary.

I’ve said several times before I’d love to see a Far Cry game embrace the experimental spirit of Far Cry 2 and improve on it (because lord knows it was a game that needed some *serious* improvements alongside its great ideas). I know it’s now extremely unlikely given Ubisoft’s track record over the past decade, but it would be something that’d encourage me to pick up a new game in the series. If it’s indeed yet another giant Ubisoft choreathon like everything else they do, I’m glad there are reviews highlighting that in no uncertain terms. Much like I’m sure there are other reviews approaching it from the perspective of someone who liked the recent games and tackles it on those terms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's like buying a ticket to Fast and Furious 9 and being affronted because there's too many car chases in it.

@johnny_ultimate sure that's fine, it ok to say that it's more of the same, but if you say it's bad because it's more of the same you're doing nothing good for those not familiar with the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

full map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭brady12

iv played and finished all the main line far cry's . i only finished 5 about 6 weeks ago and loved . found the dialogue really funny taking piss out America .

i just felt this one would be a forwards step and just what iv seen of it seems be a sideways step and more of the same ( which is what i wanted to a degree )

only way to find out for myself is to buy it tomorrow but i'm just worried it will be feel too familiar 6 weeks after beating 5!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Because a lack of innovation and repetition is boring. It's fine if you enjoy a farcry game, nobody said you can't but when you have games like botw coming out showing how good the Ubisoft formula can be with a bit off experimentation and innovation it's only right to call out something with so much resources playing it safe again.

Even fast 9 went to space this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is up on Argos now for 65, just 3 in my local so not tons of copies of anyone was looking to reserve one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

I wish you could just highlight what you want to quote.

I haven't looked into the game at all but the cockfighting caught my eye in your post just had a quick youtube and it kind of looks like a fun albeit shallow little mini game, the puns on old fighting videogames and how the cocks look is well played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

• Advertisement

lol, slaughtering thousands of people is ok but the animal cruelty is one step too far :)

*I know you said context is key but I found it funny

Sorry, you said something about animal cruelty?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

A big thumbs up from me to Ubisoft. I was supposed to get my physical copy of the game yesterday and it never arrived. Same situation today. So a short time ago, Ubisoft sent me an e-mail with a code for the full game. Very nice!

gave in to my own doubts and bought disc version of it . every time i try and play it all i get is black screen when i go into app 😅well this is great 🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just picked up a copy, will be playing it later. Had to trade in Scarlet Nexus as it had dropped from 40 to 30 trade in, and with the level 3 bonus I got the standard PS5 edition for 32. I couldn't get into 4 or 5, so I'm not expecting myself to love this, but at least I'll get more on trade in than I've paid for it so...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Well, it certainly is more Far Cry. Stunning location and I'm still only on the first island. Map looks huge. Acting is good. Picked male Dani and so far voice acting is pretty solid. Like the little bits like singing or whistling along to songs, but the music is starting to grate, hopefully more variations will be available once I'm on the main island.

To be honest, it's not doing anything new, but this feels the most solid so far. I'll stick with it for a while at least.

Let me know if you are off loading the physical copy when it arrives :)

Why in the **** does the PS5 disk version need the 37gb HD Texture update? Surely that should have been on the disk?

On PC the HD texture pack actually made everything worse, low res textures everywhere like it was 2000 again...

• Advertisement

So, it's the PS4 version with fancier graphics then. It's still not bad, played a small bit there before work and got to the main Island. It's so big....

Game is absolutely gorgeous and Fem Dani is a badass. Only on the first Island bit really like what I'm playing so far. Goddam though, is 2021, why can't you pause the cutscenes?

Also, highly recommend turning on the option to highlight loot. The graphics are so good, somethings don't really stand out. Now it's easy to scan an area and quickly loot without too much immersion breaking.

I might enable that myself, as it is I have to be relatively near something for the little o to pop up above something I can loot, and even then I nearly need to be standing on top of the thing to pick it up, often having to crouch to pick stuff up off the ground. An auto pickup, like the ammo, would have been better. Crapped myself earlier when I learned that O turns your horse around 180, wasn't expecting it and thought I was being thrown off.

On the main Island but won't get to play it for a while again. It seems to have the right level of fun right now, something which I think a lot of people overlook in a game. It's still Far Cry, but it's possibly the most polished so far. Did a mission on the first Island where you burn tobacco plants. Not half as fun as the Kicking the Hornets Nest from 3, but at least Dani referenced it!

Definitely needs to be pushed to pickup loot easier, far too much time trying to position myself correctly over it. Loving it though. Typical Far Cry but like you said, most polished yet, just a lot of fun.

so annoying not being able pause cut scenes . herself start talking to me during them and i no way pausing the game or herself 😂

played a hour the opening tutorials in these games are fair annoying . after that i loved the story and world is beautiful . map seems massive . just feels more the same doesn't help me i only finished 5 about 3 weeks ago

Advertisement