Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The laughable headline below is why "staycations" are a joke

IRELAND is set to sizzle as temperatures to hit 17C as Met Eireann forecast "a good deal of dry weather".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

krissovo wrote: »
    Lovely that you "jumped on the lockdown trend of building our own campervan" but do you realize that there are 14,000+ camper vans in Ireland and only ~3000 camper pitches in the country?

I dont think there is campsite in the country with availability and already local authorities are going crazy installing height barriers in the "normal" camper van off grid locations.

Nonsense. I can book plenty of campervan sites today for lots of dates during the summer. I know this as I just did!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Lovely that you "jumped on the lockdown trend of building our own campervan" but do you realize that there are 14,000+ camper vans in Ireland and only ~3000 camper pitches in the country?

I dont think there is campsite in the country with availability and already local authorities are going crazy installing height barriers in the "normal" camper van off grid locations.

Im sure all the camper vans in the country arent parking in those spaces on the same nights though.

7 nights in a very good hotel in kilkenny for €1200, in August.
    Kids under 4 stay free.

€1200 for ONE week. Am I the only one who thinks thats taking the p!ss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Im sure all the camper vans in the country arent parking in those spaces on the same nights though.

The biggest issue I see is guys trying to drive these yokes up the Conner Pass or out to the tip of Mizen Head etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

How do you mean? About €170 per night. In August. In a top Hotel. It will be filled.

finbarrk wrote: »
    How do you mean? About €170 per night. In August. In a top Hotel. It will be filled.

Maybe ive just been spoiled by the foreign holiday prices over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Ginger83

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hmmm not sure €1200 would cover a week in any half decent hotel in Ireland for 2 adults and 2 small kids though.
    Have checked a few places and that’s more the price for 3 or 4 days unfortunately.

We've got 3 nights booked in June in dungarvan on the greenway. €387 for two adults and two children b+b

It wouldn't be my cup of tea but you are correct. There's plenty of people willing to spend €170 on a hotel room in Ireland for 2 adults and 2 under 4's. irrespective of foreign travel restrictions. I've no idea what a similar package would cost in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

I see what you mean.

But why would you be choosing Kilkenny anyway?
    It's landlocked. Not even a cold desolate pebble beach or a decent enough mountain to climb up.
    Even Diageo has pulled the Smithwicks Experience.

Lesotho would be better.

consider Kerry instead.

• Advertisement

wandererz wrote: »
    I see what you mean.

It's landlocked. Not even a cold desolate pebble beach or a decent enough mountain to climb up.

Lesotho would be better.

consider Kerry instead.

Kilkenny is not the worst place.
    Well for a weekend anyway. Dont know if any longer would drain you though.
    Ive been on holidays in Ireland a few times and when it rains in Ireland when you are on your holidays it is the most miserable experience imaginable.
    Once, last year, we had great weather on an Irish holiday.

thought i'd have a look at The Europe in Killarney.
    All booked out except for a couple of days in early September @ €1900/night for the presidential suite.

I wonder, does that include Las Vegas style in-room live entertainment as well.

It cetainly would be cheaper to fly to LV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

thought i'd have a look at The Europe in Killarney.
    All booked out except for a couple of days in early September @ €1900/night for the presidential suite.

I wonder, does that include Las Vegas style in-room live entertainment as well.

It cetainly would be cheaper to fly to LV.

Are you a president? If you went to Vegas, would you look to book a presidential suite? No? This is lack of preparedness, coupled with high demand.

I've booked two nights in a hotel in Westport and two nights in a B&B in Cork for June. Can't wait.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Are you a president? If you went to Vegas, would you look to book a presidential suite? No? This is lack of preparedness, coupled with high demand.

I've booked two nights in a hotel in Westport and two nights in a B&B in Cork for June. Can't wait.

No i would not. Neither did I mention that's what I was looking for. I mentioned availability. No need for tangents.
    Presidential suites are just a term. Anyone can book them, President or not.
    I am the President of my own Republic (Dub15tan) so I have leeway.

I've booked 2x 7 nights in Connemara, 14 nights in total for 2 adults and 2 dogs for under €900, so I'm happy.

I'm just saying that for 2 nights at the Europe based on availability one could get 5-7 nights in LV including flights.

No i would not. Neither did I mention that's what I was looking for. I mentioned availability. No need for tangents.
    Presidential suites are just a term. Anyone can book them, President or not.
    I am the President of my own Republic (Dub15tan) so I have leeway.

I've booked 2x 7 nights in Connemara, 14 nights in total for 2 adults and 2 dogs for under €900, so I'm happy.

I'm just saying that for 2 nights at the Europe based on availability one could get 5-7 nights in LV including flights.

Good work on Connemarra.

I've seen some student Campus accommodation added to booking.com in the last few days circa €500 a week which might be of interest to people.

I saw this advertised in the excellent staycation supplement that came in Saturdays Indo. I think its good value. €240 for 3 nights for 2 B&B.
    https://www.redcastlehoteldonegal.com/promotions/3-for-2/51-29974/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I’ve two weeks booked across the south west and south east - nice road trip planned with the two kids.

Normally we would always book a week somewhere in Ireland as well as abroad.

We booked it in January taking a chance that July would be open and the prices were not all that bad for some really nice spots - budget was higher than normal for an Irish holiday as we are not going abroad this year.

Really looking forward to it - plenty of beaches and pools for the kids to enjoy. Thankfully my kids really enjoy day tripping to see stuff as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

we decided to book two nights for June bank holiday weekend. was surprised how much availability there is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Nonsense. I can book plenty of campervan sites today for lots of dates during the summer. I know this as I just did!

Thats great would share some for those who are struggling to find them? Any of the popular sites have banners on their pages stating they are fully booked for 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Thats great would share some for those who are struggling to find them? Any of the popular sites have banners on their pages stating they are fully booked for 2021.

I booked IOAC, Wexford the other day - their calendar is good and you can see availability.

Stayed in Castle Archdale, Fermanagh last weekend and they seem to have availability.

Also booked Westport hours and Lough Key but these may be full now.

Good availability in Blarney Caravan park which is a lovely clean park in Cork

• Advertisement

holidays start this weekend with a stay in the NW
    really looking forward to it

Off to Clare next week, 3 nights B&B, one dinner, 195euro pp.
    Cannot wait! Massage booked also :D

Very enjoyable weekend in the NW with fantastic weather, brilliant views and mainly spent on beaches.
    We all got a colour, managed to get pints from a pub on sunday night even though they weren't officially opened until today.
    Then we enjoyed family dinner today al fresco with drinks.

Enjoyed hotel stays in Ballyvaughan, Galway City and Mullingar for the Royal Canal Greenway cycle on the long weekend. Great buzz in Galway.

Enjoyed hotel stays in Ballyvaughan, Galway City and Mullingar for the Royal Canal Greenway cycle on the long weekend. Great buzz in Galway.

Sounds like you had a good time. How long would you have been cycling a day? Any logistical issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

We holiday in Ireland every year and take a big holiday once every 2 or 3 years.

Last weekend was Clare. Pubs opened on the Friday evening thankfully so we could sit outside looking across the water with a drink for an hour or 2.

End of June, Aghadoe Heights Killarney. More expensive than what we would usually book but I rang them directly and got them to add a dinner on one evening for us at no extra charge. A treat after the last year being rotten.

End of July is Killarney again but will do Airbnb cos we will be bringing the dogs and having an active break.

August, back to Clare to stay with family and visit some local restaurants that we like.

I'll have to fit in a weekend in Connemara/Mayo somewhere in there to climb Mweelrea in Mayo and do Coasteering in Connemara.

Ireland is a grand little country to holiday in. The craic is what you make it and deals are there if you shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Can anything kill the buzz in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I see what you mean.

Lesotho would be better.

consider Kerry instead.

Off the top of my head, The castle, round tower, caves, design center, lots of great food places. It's central so nowhere is really very far away from it. I've only ever done a weekend in Killarney, but we've always enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Myself and husband have the first 2 weeks of August booked off but no holiday booked yet and from looking now it's either booked up or really expensive (2 adults and 3 kids). We live in South Donegal and explored north Donegal last summer which was amazing.

I have a relative in Galway we could stay with to save on accom so thinking of fun things to do there-without having to go into the city centre. I'm looking at Aran Islands for a day(rent bikes) etc, anything else that would be nice/outdoor/child friendly from Galway city centre as a base?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Myself and husband have the first 2 weeks of August booked off but no holiday booked yet and from looking now it's either booked up or really expensive (2 adults and 3 kids). We live in South Donegal and explored north Donegal last summer which was amazing.

I have a relative in Galway we could stay with to save on accom so thinking of fun things to do there-without having to go into the city centre. I'm looking at Aran Islands for a day(rent bikes) etc, anything else that would be nice/outdoor/child friendly from Galway city centre as a base?

Thanks!

North Clare is very accessible from Galway - Burren, Ailwee Caves & Birds of Prey, Cliffs of Moher etc.

Advertisement