Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

RangeR wrote: »
    What's going on with Newstalk recently on TuneIn [radio internet streaming service]. They appear to be injecting advertisements, out of place, over actual conversation. This is in addition to regular broadcast ads. It's a bit infuriating when you are listening to people talk on a subject, they hear an ad injected, and miss what the person actually said.

Happens on their website lately also. They jump backwards periodically,only on the breakfast show though that I've noticed.

You could just add a shortcut from their website if the app is dodgy.

Hmmm, I'll give it a go but I don't like the reviews.

Newstalk on TuneIn doesn't do it all the time. I could go for days without hearing one but I just got 2 in 10 minutes at around 12:30pm today. PITA.

It also happens every time I start the stream. It's definitely NT and not TuneIn injecting. It doesn't happen with any other radio station using the app.
    I had a similar problem last week listening back to NT podcasts, where the podcast would randomly cut out briefly, and skip to 30 seconds ahead or so.

Not sure if it's related, as you're probably listening live. Haven't noticed a similar problem with another station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Always changing,unlike their oppositions schedule locked in the basement under several layers of dust and cobwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

What's going on with Newstalk recently on TuneIn [radio internet streaming service]. They appear to be injecting advertisements, out of place, over actual conversation. This is in addition to regular broadcast ads. It's a bit infuriating when you are listening to people talk on a subject, they hear an ad injected, and miss what the person actually said.

I think Tune In inject ads to create a buffer. You get it when first connecting, then also if you drop signal for say up to 20s.

It's a little annoying especially as I paid for premium, but arguably less annoying than dropping the audio altogether or replaying X seconds (which was how they used handle dropped connections).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Getting rid of the Henry McKean and Talking Books shows is a good call. Those were weak links in the existing schedule and shows that had me reaching for the change channel button straight away. There's too much Off the Ball in the schedule for my liking but I'll be in the minority there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

What's Soundscape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That looks so much better than RTE Radio 1. Mind you I'll miss Between the Lines (repeat?) on Sunday at 8 AM. Going with a live news programme both days is interesting, even the beeb doesn't do that on Radio 4 where God still rules on Sunday.

One weakiness is Down to Business - not the programme, the host Bobby Kerr who remains a genuine turn off for me.

That looks so much better than RTE Radio 1. Mind you I'll miss Between the Lines (repeat?) on Sunday at 8 AM. Going with a live news programme both days is interesting, even the beeb doesn't do that on Radio 4 where God still rules on Sunday.

One weakiness is Down to Business - not the programme, the host Bobby Kerr who remains a genuine turn off for me.

If he stopped giggling to himself even it might be half bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I've quoted this before, but my favourite ever boardsie line is describing Kerr as sounding like "a drunken vagrant who's wandered into the studio.":D

• Advertisement

By any rational measure Bobby Kerr should not be on the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Cuddihy with his usual bleeding heart bullsh1t again this morning. Every time I make the mistake of hitting Newstalk in the morning, his self righteous snowflake voice makes me turn the radio off straight away. As I said before, he is an absolute dose, I don't know how anybody can listen to him.

All NT presenters are gone to Northern Ireland for the week apparently. If anybody in NT had any sense, they would change the locks, and get in a new schedule. The one that they have now really is dreadful when compared to what they had a few years back.

Cuddihy with his usual bleeding heart bullsh1t again this morning. Every time I make the mistake of hitting Newstalk in the morning, his self righteous snowflake voice makes me turn the radio off straight away. As I said before, he is an absolute dose, I don't know how anybody can listen to him.
    What exactly did he say that has, er, triggered this reaction?

Cuddihy with his usual bleeding heart bullsh1t again this morning. Every time I make the mistake of hitting Newstalk in the morning, his self righteous snowflake voice makes me turn the radio off straight away.

And yet you listened to enough of him this morning to discern that he was engaging in "his usual bleeding heart bullsh1t again"...35-thinking-face.png

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like John Fardy's new Screentime show. What happened to Phillip Molloy?

On a side note, the RDS for Newstalk has been showing as 00000 in my car for a few months now. Is this the same for anyone else?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Really enjoying Andrea Gilligan at 6am in the mornings, I'm up early so great to get the news bits at that time before business breakfast.

Molley was/is a terrible broadcaster - a good example of someone who having become drilled in one form of expression - the written word applying it to a different medium the spoken word and sounding as if he was reading a script which he was.

This weeks broadcasting was brought to you by The Northern Ireland Tourist Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Is Henry McKean Newstalk’s version of rte’s Paddy O Gorman?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Yep, pretty much.

• Advertisement

Less patronising than Paddy in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Newstalk have their new weekend schedule running a couple of weeks now.

Two of the presenters who seemed to have lost out are Susan Cahill of Talking Books and the movies guy from Saturday evening. Susan's shows are available on playback but the former movies shows don't seem to be.

Can anyone recall the name of the guy who presented it? I know John Fardy is the new guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Newstalk have their new weekend schedule running a couple of weeks now.

Two of the presenters who seemed to have lost out are Susan Cahill of Talking Books and the movies guy from Saturday evening. Susan's shows are available on playback but the former movies shows don't seem to be.

Can anyone recall the name of the guy who presented it? I know John Fardy is the new guy.

Philip Malloy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Mr E wrote: »

On a side note, the RDS for Newstalk has been showing as 00000 in my car for a few months now. Is this the same for anyone else?

I was on two occasions in the west Limerick / north Kerry area over the past 4 weeks and on both occasions RDS there was 0000. Haven't seen it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah showing up as 0000 for me as well the last few months

Newstalk seems to have been silenced on my Sky Q:confused:

Updated their app. Actually seems to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Yeah, doesn't happen on this, it also happens on Tunein.

They are now. I've heard two adds injected into the stream today on the Irish Radio Player. This can't be the future of Radio Streaming. There are already ads in the stream, direct from the FM transmission.

I guess I'll just get an FM radio for the office desk.

Shame on you money grabbing Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They are now. I've heard two adds injected into the stream today on the Irish Radio Player. This can't be the future of Radio Streaming. There are already ads in the stream, direct from the FM transmission.

I guess I'll just get an FM radio for the office desk.

Is it not the case that the ads on the Radio Player are being inserted by the owners of the App?

I don't know for sure, I haven't used the player in a a number of weeks as am going through a podcast phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a Communicorp Newscorp thing, they also do it on Today FM (current one is for Virgin Media). They don't seem to be doing it on their other stations such as Q102. It has been amusing in the past when they had injected ads for gambling firms during segments on gambling addiction.

I do also wonder if it contravenes advertising standards when it comes to gambling and alcohol advertising during shows during the day when kids listen, but I don't know if such restrictions exist, or if they apply to internet radio streams.

All it does is have me switch to RTE instead during the drive time shows in order to avoid it, so the advertisers are reaching at least one less in their audience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement