Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think they could make that slot a bit longer, maybe another 5 mins or so.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I've just popped in to the threads on Ciara Kelly show, Off the Ball and Ivan yates. So many posts are about how bad each show is or the presenter or the fill in presenter or whatever.

And yet JNLR figures show an increase right across all main shows on the station.

What is it about the internet that leads people to be so negative? Is it the anonymity? Is it begrudgery because some part of them thinks they could be hosting a radio show but haven't had the opportunity.

So few posts are actually discussing the shows content but are just complaining about some element of it. I genuinely don't understand it.

On the JNLR figures. Impressive results by Ivan to be so successful on that slot on his own. Now the most listened to show on the station.

The people who are bemused at how the shows are doing well in the JNLRs are the same people listening to the show everyday just to bitch and moan about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

The Stephen Travers (repeat) interview was amazing this morning. Particularly when he spoke of the moment he played dead while a gunman mere feet away standing over him after he administered coup de grace shots on other members. Another gunman called out for them to leave --'these bastards are dead.' Another member on the other side of the road also survived. The interview was great, Kenny not trying to interrupt every five seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bobby Kerr played his trolling of Dragon presidential candidates perfectly this morning. Said he had an announcement to make. Mentioned all the cliches, had taken time to think, spoken to his family, was looking for the next big challenge. And then "I am announcing that I am entering the race for the Aras..... In 2019. As part of the Dublin marathon."

I had stopped what I was doing, turned the radio up and was looking at it during the first part of his speech.

I expected he was taking the mick but part of me was also thinking "look at what has already happened in this race".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

George Hook getting jealous of the attention Peter Casey has been getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

edit: oops meant to post in breakfast thread

• Registered Users Posts: 55,457 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can't find any mention on this forum - I heard Tom Dunne is out until the new year due to surgery. Does anyone know what's wrong with him?

Hope it's nothing too serious - I've been a fan since the 80s and he is one of my favourite presenters on Newstalk - I wish him a speedy recovery....

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/tom-dunne-steps-away-briefly-due-to-illness-as-george-hook-set-to-hang-up-mic-37557711.html
    https://extra.ie/2018/11/22/entertainment/celebrity/newstalk-broadcaster-tom-dunne-takes-time-off-air-due-to-sickness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

God alone knows what Newstalk are up to here, one Gammon out another gammon in?

https://www.thejournal.ie/newstalk-working-on-new-project-with-peter-casey-4368838-Nov2018/
    FORMER PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE Peter Casey is currently working with Newstalk on a project that is due to be broadcast early next year.

A Communicorp spokesperson denied that Casey would be replacing George Hook, who recently announced he was leaving the station.

“Peter Casey will not present his own show on Newstalk or host a regular slot

“Newstalk is working with Peter Casey on a project due to be broadcast in the New Year,” a Communicorp spokesperson said.

The Irish Times has reported that Casey’s project will centre around topics he touched on during his presidential campaign.

Hmmm, we'll see. Easier gig than trying to start a political party.

Mod note

Moved to newstalk thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/presidential-candidate-peter-casey-is-newstalk-s-latest-recruit-1.3715725?fbclid=IwAR23uUPJstmeGnM-lZeRqGEqTdKQDv3Tjngcx_zRXw1Qt9pomZsc2MKtwoQ

Whats the problem with having a fresh voice on Newstalk.Are you afraid he might say something that a lot of people think.Have a look at the Times article.Straight away trying to discredit him.With the reference to travellers and being a US taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

There's not much point putting Peter Casey on NT. It won't be a week before Kieran Cuddihy, Jonathan Healy and all those other precious flowers put together another poison letter and hand it in to management, like they did with George Hook.

From the sound of it, it seems like just a once off pre-recorded program about a specific topic, more so than giving him free rein to talk about whatever he wants on a live radio show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The station for angry old men has to keep up their angry old man quotient with Hook going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

https://extra.ie/2019/02/03/news/irish-news/peter-casey-newstalk-reaction

I bet it will be heavily edited, NT are unlikely to give him free reign.

See what they did to G Hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

"You Couldn't Make It Up" was utterly awful yesterday morning. Not sure I laughed once. struggling to see the point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

"You Couldn't Make It Up" was utterly awful yesterday morning. Not sure I laughed once. struggling to see the point of it.

It was almost worse than Jess Kelly's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Keep hearing the adds for this, it sounds utterly atrocious, what's the idea behind it seriously? They trying to get the OTB roadshow feel or what?

The promos make funny friday seem like right craic

redbuck wrote:
    It was almost worse than Jess Kelly's show.

I like her on the PK show but her own show falls flat, similar thing happened with Philip Molloy when he was on regular with George Hook then gets his own show and I find myself changing stations

Aska wrote: »
    I like her on the PK show but her own show falls flat, similar thing happened with Philip Molloy when he was on regular with George Hook then gets his own show and I find myself changing stations
    I agree. I love her segments on the PK show but I'm not crazy about her own show. Maybe that's down to us, though. I for one am not very interested in the finer aspects of technology and data, so it's no surprise that I'm slightly bored by a programme which wasn't aimed at me anyway.

I'd love to hear JK fill in for Pat someday. She's very quick minded, I'd say she would make a good job of presenting a current affairs programme.

Maybe that's down to us, though. I for one am not very interested in the finer aspects of technology and data, so it's no surprise that I'm slightly bored by a programme which wasn't aimed at me anyway.

You might have a point there, i think thats why I am not fond of both her show and philips,

The quick fire questions suited both of them, I don't want to listen to Philip talk for 15 minutes to some obscure director etc. I tune in because I want to here movie news, similar to Jess I don't care for her interviewing people regarding gadgets and the likes I like hearing her opinions on the gear

Newstalk keeps going off air in Waterford, usually it only for a few minutes at most but today it's just not there - not even the carrier signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Any chance I wonder they'll get their listen back service to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Anyone tune in to pat o mahoneys Saturday morning show?

Can't stand the man so just wondering if the show is as you would expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Anyone tune in to pat o mahoneys Saturday morning show?

Can't stand the man so just wondering if the show is as you would expect?

It is if you were expecting it to be a hate crime against your ears.

Beyond awful.

What the feck is that mirthless comedy panel thing? Why would even bother with it at such an hour? 9.30 AM is possibly the least receptive time I can think of!

What the feck is that mirthless comedy panel thing? Why would even bother with it at such an hour? 9.30 AM is possibly the least receptive time I can think of!
    Aimed at an older demographic, I guess - the Mums and Dads sitting in carparks while their kids are at GAA/swimming/rugby training etc; parish priests psyching themselves up for mass; people who wake up perilously early to climb mountains, or don lycra and cycle side-by-side on country roads.

Basically the opposite of that famous description of the Oireachtas Report demographic - drunks and insomniacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Aimed at an older demographic, I guess - the Mums and Dads sitting in carparks while their kids are at GAA/swimming/rugby training etc; parish priests psyching themselves up for mass; people who wake up perilously early to climb mountains, or don lycra and cycle side-by-side on country roads.

Basically the opposite of that famous description of the Oireachtas Report demographic - drunks and insomniacs.

As I said:
    It is if you were expecting it to be a hate crime against your ears.

Beyond awful.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

What's going on with Newstalk recently on TuneIn [radio internet streaming service]. They appear to be injecting advertisements, out of place, over actual conversation. This is in addition to regular broadcast ads. It's a bit infuriating when you are listening to people talk on a subject, they hear an ad injected, and miss what the person actually said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

RangeR wrote: »
    What's going on with Newstalk recently on TuneIn [radio internet streaming service]. They appear to be injecting advertisements, out of place, over actual conversation. This is in addition to regular broadcast ads. It's a bit infuriating when you are listening to people talk on a subject, they hear an ad injected, and miss what the person actually said.

Doesn't happen on the Radioplayer app

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

5555555555 wrote: »

Hmmm, I'll give it a go but I don't like the reviews.

Newstalk on TuneIn doesn't do it all the time. I could go for days without hearing one but I just got 2 in 10 minutes at around 12:30pm today. PITA.

It also happens every time I start the stream. It's definitely NT and not TuneIn injecting. It doesn't happen with any other radio station using the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

5555555555 wrote: »

Yeah, doesn't happen on this, it also happens on Tunein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its probably the app doing it rather that Newstalk themselves.

The app is free, so this is their way of making money. Sort of like adds in the middle of YouTube videos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement