Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcade and Retro – 3D Prints

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Myrddin wrote: »
    Resistance is really becoming futile...A Majoras's Mask & the Star Gate thingy would go nicely on a shelf somewhere here...

I'll eventually get around to offering a proper print service. I'll stick an ad in the marketplace for retro related things, and probably something external for non retro stuff.

Next big print will be a Lightsaber, but i really will need to paint this one for it to look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

^^ Drool. Serious painting/weathering skills in that vid

^^ Drool. Serious painting/weathering skills in that vid

Yeah, the trick with the salt is pretty cool.

Having a go at printing the Obi-Wan Kenobi Lightsaber from Star Wars: A New Hope.
    About 80 percent printed now and its looking ok. Still need to sand it and do something about painting, but so far I'm very happy with it. There's room internally for a lighting systems should i want it in the future.

3vQw04j.jpg

poTySWI.jpg

yx6Xg8p.jpg

I wont be able to to it as nice as the properly prop replica below, but I'll get some colour on it eventually. Might skip the aged effect and paint it as it would have been new(much easier me thinks).

4MWKzJ5.jpg

Printed a mini Macintosh to go with the PET. Just need to add the apple logo, but it looks bad on regular photo paper. Will wait until i have some transparent print stuff.

WPOvsIV.jpg
    b8PIUK4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thanks again for the Zelda Game and Watch battery cover! :) Arrived this morning.

2zzi884.jpg

tumblr_m0aikwq6811r4gfwoo1_1280.jpg

(I'm using the reverse of that meme in that it actually did fit like a glove :P)

Corholio wrote: »
    Thanks again for the Zelda Game and Watch battery cover! :) Arrived this morning.

2zzi884.jpg

tumblr_m0aikwq6811r4gfwoo1_1280.jpg

(I'm using the reverse of that meme in that it actually did fit like a glove :P)

Cool, glad it arrived.

Yeah the leaf green plastic seems not too far off the original. I wonder is there an easy way to darken it without painting?

Is there a file/model of the Destiny from Stargate Universe I wonder?

Is there a file/model of the Destiny from Stargate Universe I wonder?

Someone designed and printed it. But I don't think they shared the files :(

try.jpg

Aw man....I'd love something like that :(

• Advertisement

In fairness it looks like he designed(or i supposed copied and designed from the show) and printed them and is selling them. So why would he share for free :0)

Some price on some of them though :0/

https://www.tomperys.cz/shop/en/6-stargate

€1k for the big model...bleugh :(

€1k for the big model...bleugh :(

It looks good, but if you look at it closely it's actually not that detailed on the small things. Mad money for it, I wonder does he sell many.

Steve X2 wrote: »
    It looks good, but if you look at it closely it's actually not that detailed on the small things. Mad money for it, I wonder does he sell many.

I thought the same, the close up pics aren't that impressive. The dimensions etc look absolutely perfect, but the detailing isn't great for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,059 ✭✭✭Doge

My clips arrived today along with 2 little goodies sent by Steve. :)

366169.JPG

Here's a close up of the little dudes!

366170.JPG

Huge thanks again to the generosity of Steve, he's a real asset to the A&R community!

I think that pink clip may have been revenge for the comments I made about his iCade's colour scheme though.... 366171.jpg

Some guy/gal on thingiverse designed a nice and simple dock/stand for the Game Boy. Did one for the Color, Pocket and Original Game Boy.
    Pretty nice and very stable if printed heavy. Might pick a more suitable colour for the next one :)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:416445

yOFgp8x.jpg

SL2rUQ6.jpg

48OW7W3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Nice thread. Kudos Steve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice, i want one, how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just stumbled across this now, looks awesome chief!

If you ever get the files to print these out, name your price and I'll pay it!

original.jpg

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just stumbled across this now, looks awesome chief!

If you ever get the files to print these out, name your price and I'll pay it!

original.jpg

They look pretty easy to print apart from a few overhangs. You'd need to paint them though. There are a few similar models knocking around, but not quite as nice as those ones.
    Those actually look like the were 3D printed on a laser sintering or similar professional printer(shapeways maybe).

They look pretty easy to print apart from a few overhangs. You'd need to paint them though. There are a few similar models knocking around, but not quite as nice as those ones.
    Those actually look like the were 3D printed on a laser sintering or similar professional printer(shapeways maybe).

You're spot on!

http://www.cnet.com/news/print-chop-how-copyright-killed-a-3d-printed-final-fantasy-fad/

I havent even played Final Fantasy 7, i know, i know, just not an RGP nut, but i think they look amazing.

He absolutely nailed the low polygon look. I'd love to see him try other PSX era characters like Crash Bandicoot, etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I didn't realise they were available to buy at one stage :(

DAMN YOU SQUEENIX! Can't believe the artist has kept the files. I mean, I probably would in his position also but still, I want them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Hi Steve I was wondering if you would be interested in 3d printing me s psycho mask from borderlands? Obviously I'd cover any expenses. Involved. I found a few models with a quick Google search but knowing nothing about 3d printing, I wouldn't have a clue which would be best.

Hi Steve I was wondering if you would be interested in 3d printing me s psycho mask from borderlands? Obviously I'd cover any expenses. Involved. I found a few models with a quick Google search but knowing nothing about 3d printing, I wouldn't have a clue which would be best.

Hi, not sure that would fall under retro related prints to be honest. And with the work involved it would take a bit of time and effort so would end up costing you a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tobothehobo

Hi, not sure that would fall under retro related prints to be honest. And with the work involved it would take a bit of time and effort so would end up costing you a bit.

OK no hassle. Just thought it would be cool.

• Advertisement

OK no hassle. Just thought it would be cool.

If you can sort out a model, proper sizing etc you could try 3D Hubs or shapeways to get it printed up. Might be pricey though :0/

Did a print of the Wingcrest/Royal Crest earlier.

b3pCv0G.jpg

I quite liked it, so went large and heavy with the next one :)

E8U3ko6.jpgfoVpQ93.jpg

It needs a bit of sanding as it was printed in fairly low resolution to speed up the job, but I like the colour so probably won't paint it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I believe that's "Tunic Green", though this shade differs from game to game...

Lovely stuff! :)

6R1jj10.jpg

ken.jpg

Doge wrote: »
    6R1jj10.jpg

ken.jpg

She looks better in pink :)

http://www.thingsin3d.com/sample-prints/

• Advertisement

So, as some of you might have seen I now officially offer a 3D printing service in the marketplace.
    If you need something arcade and retro related printed up, let me know.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057513983

I have 2 questions.

1. Can you make a life sized model of her?

2. Have you a wide enough drill bit? :pac:

I have 2 questions.

1. Can you make a life sized model of her?

2. Have you a wide enough drill bit? :pac:

1. Sure, i could print her in parts.

2. I could borrow this guys drill to get the job done for you :pac:
    drillfeatured2.jpg

1. Sure, i could print her in parts.

2. I could borrow this guys drill to get the job done for you :pac:
    drillfeatured2.jpg

I bored my way right into that one! :D

How about a good Lament Configuration given the season that's in it Steve, any decent models of it?

How about a good Lament Configuration given the season that's in it Steve, any decent models of it?

There are a few on thingiverse, but nothing really amazing.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1018526
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:612200

My Halloween 3D print, a Celtic skull.

yNN18SP.jpg

DRjvskK.jpg

MWx5xeI.jpg

I've had this new printer for 2-3 months now. Powered up for 1225.5 hours and printing for 914(using 630 meters of material).

k8csr13.jpg

Time to give it a bit of a service me thinks :)

Is there much maintenance involved Steve?

Is there much maintenance involved Steve?

Not really as I keep it tidy and clean as I go. There's a technique called the Atomic pull, if you do that every so often it keeps the inside of the nozzle clean(very important).
    Might need to take the bottom section off and just make sure the electronics are tidy as sometimes bits of plastic end up down there.

Then it's a good idea to level the bed and print some cubes to to make sure the basics are all still aligned.

I've upgraded a lot of parts on it which reduces the maintenance(as well as improve print quality). The great thing about a 3d printer, you can print out most of the upgrades :)

• Advertisement

I'm having a go at printing some miniature arcade machines. Quite a few failures and generally bad prints as a lot of the freely available 3d models are not print optimised :mad:

Ms Pacman Failures:
    ZWOQufe.jpg

I've a candy cab in progress at the moment and I hope the repairs i made to the model help it print properly. There's a lot of support material in there as well in case your wondering what all the extra stuff is under the cpanel.
    WbX85N4.jpg

The unfinished back of the candy looks like an edible wafer!

Nom nom!

The unfinished back of the candy looks like an edible wafer!

Nom nom!

Yes, thats the tasty 20% infill :)

All done, went ok but will need some sanding and perhaps a little filler for some small imperfections.

30BR2oY.jpg

Only real problem is the crt printed a bit small, but I can reprint that fairly quickly a bit bigger.

4JjsNs6.jpg

The plan is to print out some artwork for the cab and then a small print of a MAME screenshot using the HLSL settings to have it look like a proper crt image. Will see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Looks like a little Aero, gorgeous. Will have to nab one of them from you at some point :)

o1s1n wrote: »
    Looks like a little Aero, gorgeous. Will have to nab one of them from you at some point :)

Yeah, its meant to be an Aero City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Yeah, its meant to be an Aero City.

Lol , thats what i was thinking, thats what its meant to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

eddhorse wrote: »
    Lol , thats what i was thinking, thats what its meant to be

Don't mention the war! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Only real problem is the crt printed a bit small, but I can reprint that fairly quickly a bit bigger.

Or you could print a bezel, and stick them together...?

Star Lord wrote: »
    Or you could print a bezel, and stick them together...?

True, although there's already a bezel on the crt model so might be just as handy to resize.

Speaking of 3d prints, had way too many failures today with dodgy models.

• Advertisement

Playing around with some dodgy chemicals. Sure what else would you be doing early on a friday morning before breakfast :)

ZVNsb7H.jpg

You can see there's a loss in detail as i left it in the vapour bath a bit too long, but on some prints this might a desired effect.

Advertisement