Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro – 3D Prints

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

How does it fare regarding power usage? electricity bill etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Corholio wrote: »
    How does it fare regarding power usage? electricity bill etc

I've not measured it myself, but others have. You're only talking a small amount per day of heavy use, maybe 2-5 cents per hour if the heated platform is used.
    It's basically nothing compared to computers I have on all the time.

The waiting is killing me on this print :)

UpAKmPR.jpg

And full size T800 skull done(the printing at least).

ZZQoiqH.jpg

Now I need to sand it, prime it and paint it. Work for another day me thinks.

I'll stop posting non retro game related things now, I'm done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Thats super smashing great.

Doesnt matter keep posting them.

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    Thats super smashing great.

Doesnt matter keep posting them.

I doubt anyone is interested in the vases I'm currently printing out for my Mum :)
    Although I'm using a new material for them that I've not tested before, Formfutura HDglass, very nice it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Steve X2 wrote: »
    I doubt anyone is interested in the vases I'm currently printing out for my Mum :)
    Although I'm using a new material for them that I've not tested before, Formfutura HDglass, very nice it is.

Would be cool to see how the material looks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

So the whole X2 thing runs in the family then, I must say that skull looks might impressive by the way.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Would be cool to see how the material looks though!

HDglass in the middle and right, regular PLA on the left. With the right settings you should be able to print HDglass very clear, I'm still working on it.
    ZYSDv7e.jpg

FjdE1Kn.jpg
    So the whole X2 thing runs in the family then, I must say that skull looks might impressive by the way.

That skull is printed in low resolution as it would have taken a week otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at this thread, I'll have to get you to print something out for me some time.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at this thread, I'll have to get you to print something out for me some time.

Sure, just let me know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And full size T800 skull done(the printing at least).

ZZQoiqH.jpg

Now I need to sand it, prime it and paint it. Work for another day me thinks.

I'll stop posting non retro game related things now, I'm done :)

I have a feeling your next username change will be to Cyberdyne, and the rest of us are history :(

I'm more interested in printing Star Wars and Star Trek stuff that T2, but i had to have a go at that skull :)

Speaking of Star Wars, trying to get this Tie Advanced X1 printed off has been a pain. I have a smaller model (the painted one in the pic) that actually came with some magazine i spotted in Easons a couple of years ago. But I want a larger one so have been searching for a nice model. I eventually found one that has been cut in half to make printing easier, happy days :)

Now i need to learn how to paint it :0/

59GrPzE.jpg

Just started the second half of it now. That'll be glued to the front bit when done.

ZAydzvT.jpg

I'm more interested in printing Star Wars and Star Trek stuff that T2, but i had to have a go at that skull :)

Speaking of Star Wars, trying to get this Tie Advanced X1 printed off has been a pain. I have a smaller model (the painted one in the pic) that actually came with some magazine i spotted in Easons a couple of years ago. But I want a larger one so have been searching for a nice model. I eventually found one that has been cut in half to make printing easier, happy days :)

Now i need to learn how to paint it :0/

59GrPzE.jpg

Just started the second half of it now. That'll be glued to the front bit when done.

ZAydzvT.jpg

While the Star Wars models look fantastic, my eye was more drawn to the battery holder in the back :pac: Genius!

Corholio wrote: »
    While the Star Wars models look fantastic, my eye was more drawn to the battery holder in the back :pac: Genius!

Haha yeah, it's super handy and holds about 20 AA's. I'll be printing the AAA version next and then maybe the C.

qqaL6To.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Im obsessed with star wars model kits at the minute, trying to learn everything i can about model painting. started when i signed up to "Build the millennium falcon" magazine, needed to learn how to paint for that, so ive bought about 10 Bandai star wars kits from Japan to practice on. Ive an Air Brush at home and am getting a compressor for it soon, spent a fortune on paint and accessories the last while while im waiting for my attic to be converted (starting monday!)

Might give you a shout down the road to see if you can print some stuff for me! Would love a whole diaorma of the landing bay on tatooine for the falcon haha but it would be too big. You can check out my Falcon build thread here and my first attempts at painting the cockpit and wiring up leds and lights to it.

Im obsessed with star wars model kits at the minute, trying to learn everything i can about model painting. started when i signed up to "Build the millennium falcon" magazine, needed to learn how to paint for that, so ive bought about 10 Bandai star wars kits from Japan to practice on. Ive an Air Brush at home and am getting a compressor for it soon, spent a fortune on paint and accessories the last while while im waiting for my attic to be converted (starting monday!)

Might give you a shout down the road to see if you can print some stuff for me! Would love a whole diaorma of the landing bay on tatooine for the falcon haha but it would be too big. You can check out my Falcon build thread here and my first attempts at painting the cockpit and wiring up leds and lights to it.

My worry with those magazine things, especially DeAgostini branded mags is that they seem to go out of print about half way through. So you're left with a half built yolk.
    Do they offer any guarantee that they will print every mag?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Dont think they guarantee it, but there is loads of people on the forums for it so i think it will be grand, think i have 40 issues so far. they do stop putting them in the shops after a while i think, i think they only are in shops for a while to get people to subscribe. If they did stop a few half way through it wouldnt be great for their business for future runs. Im pretty sure this one is popular enough that i wont have to worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

First this:
    qqaL6To.jpg

Next this:

printable_ar_15_mag_02_600x_400-tfb.jpg

Then plasma rifles!

Something actually retro related this time :)
    It's quite handy.

0WuMJmx.jpgVhdqE9F.jpg

54IyBGW.jpg

• Advertisement

Thought you made the games for a moment.

Nice vases too.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Thought you made the games for a moment.

Nice vases too.

Well, I have 3d models for the famicom cart shells. But it's cheaper to buy a crappy game for 1-2 euro than to print a bunch of them :)

I'm printing a C64 cart shell at the moment as I have a game I found in a press without one.

Well, I have 3d models for the famicom cart shells. But it's cheaper to buy a crappy game for 1-2 euro than to print a bunch of them :)

I'm printing a C64 cart shell at the moment as I have a game I found in a press without one.

I do have a super hexagon cart from the c64 book kickstarter. Nothing to play it on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

How would one go about taking a physical object and getting it 'into' the computer so it can be modified and the new version printed ?

How would one go about taking a physical object and getting it 'into' the computer so it can be modified and the new version printed ?

I've looked into buying various 3D scanners, but any I've found below 10-20k Euro are really crappy at fine details(and not so great at the larger stuff either).
    I'm still on the lookout for a good option at a reasonable price.

Of course, if the object you need scanned is a simple enough shape you can get the calipers out and take all the measurements and dump them into Rhino3D, OpenSCAD or similar.

I tested out some homemade scanning options a while back, but the results are ok for fun, but not for anything practical. Using a DSLR camera, tripod, laser pointer(for positioning tracking) and various bits of software i got the below results a few years back. Like i said, ok for fun, but that's it.

Sounds like calipers it is then, its the rear casing of a Saturn controller so not particularly complicated.

Sounds like calipers it is then, its the rear casing of a Saturn controller so not particularly complicated.

I'd say you should be able to find a 3d file for a saturn controller online. And if not, the blueprints for the shell should be available with all the dimensions.

Hmm not find much useful stuff. Might just use the old fatter USA controller instead for the moment.

I was setting up a RetroPi installation today for a friend. Decided to sort them out with a retro style case as well :)

The colours are all wrong, but i didn't have time to paint it and just used the best matching plastic colours i had.
    4 hour print on this for the top, bottom and lid, so not bad, but it is very low resolution and rough looking.

izr4Vmf.jpg

ReM9ai1.jpg

OjGPoaq.jpg

• Advertisement

Thats very similar to the ones I had in mind for the test prints, looks good though. Does the lid already sort of hinge itself?

Between this and the Battery Holder you may need to keep my address on file..........in a filing cabinet.

:pac:

Advertisement