Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will television survive?

Options
  • 09-03-2019 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I have 2 sons. One 8 the other 4.
    They do not know is what rte is.
    Only that the late late toy show is on once a year.
    I barely watch television only the football.
    Is anyone else in the predicament?
    How will TV continue?

Like seriously, if everyone is watching streams and the what not. how will any channel manage!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Monkeynut wrote: »
    I have 2 sons. One 8 the other 4. They do not know is what rte is. Only thar the late late toy show is on once a year. I barely watch television only the football. Is anyone else in the predicament? How will TV continue?

Will football survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

feargale wrote: »
    Will football survive?

well its acting now, but you know what i mean.

I would download a television.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Telly on demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Nope. I listened to the European cup matches during the week on the interwebz radio broadcast and was just as what I saw the day afterwards on the youtube highlights. Was better craic too

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

video killed the radio star

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Music videos were great. Do they even make them anymore?

kneemos wrote: »
    Music videos were great. Do they even make them anymore?

i don't know, i think it's all 'lyric' videos on youtube now, or has that fad passed? I know a drake video became a meme...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I hope it does. Tv imo is more social. Couch potato has taken on a new level. Years ago you had to watch what was on and you only had so many channels so you all watched it together, you compromised and you anticipated programmes.

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I hope it does. Tv imo is more social. Couch potato has taken on a new level. Years ago you had to watch what was on and you only had so many channels so you all watched it together, you compromised and you anticipated programmes.

teletext 180 used to tell you whats on now remember?

well it still does!!!

• Advertisement

backspin. wrote: »
    Is this a sh*t replies competition?

seems to be all-right
    :rolleyes:

seems to be all-right
    :rolleyes:

its the sh*te replies competition. please don't confuse with the sh*t replies competition.

regards

the management

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Yes, there will continue to be a 'main screen'.

There is a need for a central screen for group gawping at low quality nonsense, and for viewing each others boring cringey pointless recordings and photos.

The tv screen will just adapt to information tech, so smart-tv's doubling as computers.

tl;dr hybrid computer-televisions will become the norm. youtube, amazon, etc, and desktop apps on the big screen in your sitting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Lorelli! wrote: »

It also meant that every kid in the country was stuck with Glenroe on a Sunday night. And remember that weird 15 minute period where only songs of praise was on.

well it still does!!!

It only told what was on but you couldn't pick and choose when to watch it!

I remember teletext very well! Bamboozle!! :)

Grayson wrote: »
    It also meant that every kid in the country was stuck with Glenroe on a Sunday night. And remember that weird 15 minute period where only songs of praise was on.

My parents only went through a small phase of watching glenroe although the music still does give me the fear of going to school the next day and that the weekend was over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I have 2 sons. One 8 the other 4.
    They do not know is what rte is.
    Only that the late late toy show is on once a year.
    I barely watch television only the football.
    Is anyone else in the predicament?
    How will TV continue?

Like seriously, if everyone is watching streams and the what not. how will any channel manage!!

The channels will have catch-up streams as well as live tv channels options. I recently got in Sky Q which has the apps like Netflix, YouTube and Spotify all integrated into a sort of a “hub” as it were, with the live channels and the catch-up tv services. It’s all a fairly seamless experience, and that’s exactly the point - broadcast channels will still make their revenue from advertising as they always did, and premium services will make their money from subscriptions, as they always did.

TVs themselves won’t be going anywhere any time soon either even given the rise in popularity of viewing content on mobile devices, there’s still a huge market for bigger screens, thinner TVs, higher definition etc. They’re still generally the centrepiece in many people’s living rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I still like TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

OD killed the video star

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

I just watch for dust now on my TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

well it still does!!!

I remember watching football scores flashing between 3 pages on teletext. You’d always be waiting for the page to refresh to your team... You don’t get that drama these days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

OD killed the video star

Heroin? coke?

branie2 wrote: »
    I still like TV

I love lamp.

Seeing as we're sharing.

Heroin? coke?

It works on multiple levels :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the OP's question. It's not whether we will still own physical screens in our living rooms, it's pretty obvious that we will. It's whether the channels like RTE and Virgin (and to a lesser extent BBC - much bigger market and license fee) can survive to provide for the box in the face of competition from digital.

My own feeling is that while most things that TV channels do is now being done better on subscription services like Netflix and Amazon Video, there is still a massive market for news and sport with some local entertainment (like the Toy Show) on live TV, so that's why we'll continue to have live local Irish channels.

Of concern for TV channels would be the recent development of Amazon moving into live sport in America, and matches are among the highest-viewed programming on Irish television. It's possible we could be watching our Premier League, GAA or Six Nation games on Netflix or something similar in the years to come, which would shrink the usefulness of our local stations to just news and The Late Late Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm watching TV more than ever to be honest, loads of channels loads of choice

*any of you live in two channel land back in the day? thats right kids there was a time in this country we had only two TV channels

fryup wrote: »
    i'm watching TV more than ever to be honest, loads of channels loads of choice

*any of you live in two channel land back in the day? thats right kids there was a time in this country we had only two TV channels

There was even a time, so the legend goes, that there was only one :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

There used to be a band called pop will eat itself.

T.V is currently eating itself.

The standard of content has clearly decreased and shpws no signs of recovery

there was also a band called Television (check out Marquee Moon album)

I think that TV as we knew it, is almost dead. About 15 years ago I realised that there was no point in having a TV because I could watch DVDs on the laptop, and there were so many great films I hadn't seen. 2 hours in the evening after work was plenty of screen time for me.

If I really want to watch a game, I'll go to the local, and that might be 4 times per year, that would cost me about €150 - €160 ..... theres the price of the license.

Now lets have a look at what we get for our money:

Monday 11th RTE1

06:40 Teleshopping

07:15 My Kitchen Rules: Australia

08:10 Today

10:05 The Ellen DeGeneres Show

11:00 Dr Phil

11:55 Shortland Street

12:25 Doctors

13:00 News

13:30 Home and Away

14:00 Neighbours

14:30 Eastenders

15:00 Fair City

15:30 Today

17:40 Nuacht

18:00 Angelus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There used to be a band called pop will eat itself.

T.V is currently eating itself.

The standard of content has clearly decreased and shpws no signs of recovery

Has it? The standard of TV, if you include streaming, is clearly much higher than the 80’s and most of the 90’s. Even if you don’t, it probably is higher. Better direction, camera work, acting and scripting.

Advertisement