Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

BMW drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

BMW, ultimate driving machine. Best car going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

BMW, ultimate driving machine. Best car when it's going.

FYP:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

I'm sensing a lot of Badge Envy here, from people who can only afford to drive a focus or a duster.

Also known as the cockduster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm a BMW R1200GS rider and yiz can all go fvck yourself in your cars :D:D

474871.jpg

Photo was taken at The Bailey lighthouse in Howth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We need an Irish car brand to improve driving standards. All these foreign cars seem to be liable to misbehave.

FYP:p

Hurhurhur

What happens if you drive multiple brands?

Say BMW and KIA?

Safest most boring non indicting driver going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

ya it's called the Bingo Bus!:D

:D its de missus, i retired from driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

oh-you-drive-a-bmw-guessiwont-be-needing-these-com-15174487.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm a BMW driver and an AH mod :cool:

Everyone hates me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

BMWs have become the motoring equivalent of Burberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

bmw-drivers-parking.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

oh-you-drive-a-bmw-guessiwont-be-needing-these-com-15174487.png

That reminds me of an old chat up line "My car has leather seats? You'll love them. They are so much easier to wipe down afterwards".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

bmw-drivers-parking.jpg
    The white one started it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

I drive an Audi, whats your fooking problem eh?

Theres a reason its says Quattro on the sides, Its so that I can drive over ye peasent cnuts in all weather conditions.

And its owwwdeeee ya...
    Not awwwdeeeee...
    If I had my Audi driving glove id slap you so hard right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Modern BMW are overpriced heaps of ****, a quick look over in the motor forum and it's mostly tales of woe over stretching timing chains.
    Secondhand is where it's at. Let the first buyer take the mahoosive hit. Then you get a very nice bit of metal on wheels. Yeah they have their issues and - Just my humble - in certain areas quality has gone down and not just with Beemers, but they are a higher end car and that tends to come with higher end prices if and when they go wrong.

I have to say I like Beemers in general. They are one of the very few cars out there that you can stick a man or woman, of any age behind the wheel, from 19 to 90 and it doesn't look wrong. Mercs have a sniff of older gentleman, or in two seater form older ladies of a certain blonde. A Porsche is like Rolex watch, work very well, but traditional and safe and obvious. Beemers are kinda universal. VW Golf's the same. Few cars can pull that off over the years for very long.

On the other hand... signal...

Proof. Earlier that I'm not a BMW driver.

474873.jpg

:D *runs*

I'm a BMW R1200GS rider and yiz can all go fvck yourself in your cars :D:D
    Funny enough M, for some reason I never saw you as a two wheeler chap, but yeah, I see it now. Nice bike, suits you Sir. :)

Modern BMW are overpriced heaps of ****, a quick look over in the motor forum and it's mostly tales of woe over stretching timing chains.

Timing chains and fly wheels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"fun fact, this is not beer, it is pee pee wasser. It is Swiss" :pac:

It's always the ones that can't afford them giving out about them I fin

I'd say every second or third car on the road is a BMW nowadays. I don't quite think they still have the 'prestigious' image they once had (though of course, BMW drivers would never say that).

I know lads on the dole with BMWs. :rolleyes:

I drive approx 70,000km a year (which is a fair bit) and I have to agree, that, although it is a stereotype, it holds true, that BMWs and Audi's rarely ever use an indicator, and are almost always aggressively driven.

The one that bugs me most is the tailgating on motorways. If you decide to overtake a truck or other car, and still remain within the speed limit, some drivers (almost always an Audi or BMW) think it's acceptable to practically get into the boot of your car.

Almost always driven by people who struggle with the basics of driving and time management.

Also, same is true of the stereotyping of the Yaris, i10 and Micra - Almost exclusively driven by skeletons that can't travel any faster than 40% of the posted speed limit. If tractor is overtaking you, at least have the decency to move over a bit so others can do so, too, rather than hugging the centre lane for jaysus sake! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I'll only buy a bmw, I like to lord over all the peasants
    While broken down at the side of the road?

I'd say every second or third car on the road is a BMW nowadays. I don't quite think they still have the 'prestigious' image they once had (though of course, BMW drivers would never say that).

That goes to show how durable they are. They only sell in small numbers new.

The best-selling car brands in 2018 were Volkswagen, Toyota, Hyundai, Ford and Nissan, with the hatchback the most popular model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It just shows they are imported from the UK.

Ah the old simi, keeping the "you dont need a decent car only new number plate" going 2019...

Diesel has opened open the market massively for the big car brands.

Buying is not the problem running cost and maintenance is the killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

BMW drivers are vermin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I'm a BMW driver. I'v got a 3 year old 5 series which I love. I passed my test first time and have never put anyone in danger with my driving. I don't drive like a 90 year old but I don't take corners on my door handles either. I always use my indicators and enjoy the look of amazement on other drivers faces when I extend any kind of courtesy to them on the road. Can't believe people actually believe I'm an asshole just because of the car I drive.

Never put anyone in danger. ******. We all make mistakes. Everyone has done it once, even if it just sticking nose out too far at a junction and moving back in. "Never put anyone in danger" 🙄.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That goes to show how durable they are. They only sell in small numbers new.

The best-selling car brands in 2018 were Volkswagen, Toyota, Hyundai, Ford and Nissan, with the hatchback the most popular model.

Durable has little to do with it. And by the way, BMW have done very badly on driver reliability / satisfaction surveys in the last few years.

There's a fashion amongst eastern european residents to run aging german super saloons and tinker with them extensively at the weekends, for the purpose of exerting some sort of status. I remember a few years back seeing a muscle bound easterner pull into a petrol station across from me in a distressed looking 540i and proceed to put €5 of petrol into it. I remember thinking that that summed up the car culture in a nutshell. Be lucky if it got him home.

Old stolen 3 series are also the preferred transport of gangland hitmen (or shall we say scumbags with firearms that havent a clue what they're doing) lot of those to be seen too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Aegir wrote: »
    I went from a golf to a fairly sporty looking 3 series and instantly noticed other drivers treating me differently.

It seems like every ****er wants to race you, no one ever lets you out at junctions and the number of drivers who would rather hog the outside lane than let you pass is unbelievable.

It’s lovely to drive, but I won’t be buying another one, it costs a ****ing fortune to maintain and almost as soon as the three year warranty ran out, things started going wrong.

I had a side light bulb go the other day, so bought a replacement in Halfords and googled the instructions to replace it. They started by saying “jack up the car and remove the near side wheel “ what sort of **** designs a car where you can’t change a front bulb from under the bonnet.

Don’t get me started on 250 quid run flat tyres that can’t have a puncture repaired......

I think the mk6 golf requires the bumper off to change some bulbs.

I love my 5 series. Bought it for a song, drinks petrol like no one's business, I spend most weekends fixing or changing something, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Never had a car that looks so good, sounds so good, has so much power and feels so good to drive.

You can keep your Kia's, Hyundai's, and Ford lunchbox cars. :D

Andrew00 wrote: »
    BMW drivers are vermin
    Jaysus Andy, no one could ever accuse you of not getting to the point. :D

BMW drivers are vermin

Am I?

Lets see if good ol' entrapment works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Never put anyone in danger. ******. We all make mistakes. Everyone has done it once, even if it just sticking nose out too far at a junction and moving back in. "Never put anyone in danger" ��.

I’ve more than 20 years driving experience. Never been the cause of an accident or ever caused harm or hurt to anyone. I’ve never driven under the influence of drink or drugs and I have never had a penalty point. That’s doing pretty good in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Bmw's are seriously rubbish car's, I've a chipped vw 200 bhp 2.0 hybrid turbo 2 litre passat estate....

Leaves most of those tossers in a pile of dust....

I don't drive fast much but, when these guys drive up your arse, and youre pushing up a hill it leaves them hooning and pissinng the fuel out of the exhaust trying to catch up with you....

Eventuality i just let the **** pass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

BMW drivers are vermin

Good tag line for a Mercedes ad

An old one, but..

474887.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

bri007 wrote: »
    Not just bmw drivers, my partner is learning to drive and every time we are out in the car some asshole is trying to overtake just Caus they spot the L plates and she drives within the speed limit, how I know is I get the same when I drive her car, beeping flashing behind the car with headlights.

Driving in Ireland is shocking, my job is spent most days in the car and it’s no wonder our road death toll is so high!

I was driving the other day, respecting the speed limit in a residential area. Saw flashing blue lights in the rear view mirror just as I was exiting a roundabout.

I had no room yet to pull over so the guards started to beep at me. Then they overtook at speed.

I followed them into a carpark where there parked and then strolled in to get lunch.

Worse drivers in Ireland? Traffic Corps.

I still think it must be durability that accounts for up to half of all cars on the road being BMW's. They do feature a bit more on the list of imports than new sales. But other brands outnumber them there, just as they do with new sales.

https://www.thejournal.ie/top-cars-imported-ireland-4215182-Sep2018/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I still think it must be durability

Is it durability or a perceived premium product "kept alive" for longer. An old micra someone will scrap it. An old 3 series and you'll find someone further down the food chain to think it's the dog's danglies.

I'd say it's less down to built in reliability and durability and more down to owners being less likely to get rid or scrap them if and when they cause trouble. The extreme of that would be something like a Ferrari. They've gotten somewhat better, but for most of their history they were about as reliable as a baby's arse. You knew it would shit itself, it was only a question of when and how much, but the vast majority that came off the production line are still out there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The only experience I have with BMW cars is a loan car from a dealer in Dublin which saved myself and my wifes lives.

It was a 320 saloon and we were hit at 100kph on the M1, junction 13 by a HGV. The rear of the car took the brunt of the impact and my wife who was driving was able to maneuver it into the hard shoulder even with the extra velocity from the impact.

When the rescue services arrived they were gobsmacked that we had survived the impact and actually had the body bags ready when they got the news over the radio.

I dont have any brand loyalty but we have both agreed based on that experience that if we can afford it a BMW car would be on the books in the future.

We've got two of their bikes as well , never had an issue with them. Never had any issues from other bikers or road users with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A fella I work with bought a BMW and a few days later it had been keyed.

Are people that jealous of someone who can afford a nice car?

Let's see your BMW's / units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Here's mine. Fcuk yiz :)

BA1KArd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I wonder if you become a wanker when you buy BMW
    Or if you buy BMW because you are a wanker

xHQcNxKl.jpg

Ideal conditions for it :D

PtKfrPJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Both the BMW and Z were somewhat broken when I took this :p
    ldUURSTl.jpg?1

Says me who daily drives a hideously complex, mistreated, old, cheap Peugeot 607...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Looking at the pics of the BMW's here from older to newer...

63bH880.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Proud owner. I think my indicators work, not sure. Haven't tested them in a while.

0WMFNaD.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Awwwww, car friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,322 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Awwwww, car friends!

awww fwiend!