Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paris again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Paris is destroyed and no longer a place you'd feel safe? What a load of alarmist nonsense. As terrible as terrorist attacks are, you're infinitely more likely to be hurt in Paris by someone clattering into you in a moped or falling into the Seine. Yes Islamic terrorism is an issue, but it isn't the defining factor of cities like Paris or London no matter how worked up people get about it.

I've often heard the same exaggerated rubbish about London and parts of it being "no go areas" and the rest but yet I live in the most migrant-prevalent area in the city and the most hassle I've seen was two Poles fighting at a car wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You'd wonder how Paris is the most visited city in the world what with all the Muslims killing and raping everybody.

I think it's a bit of a dunghole meself, my abiding memory of Paris is Rungis and a trailer load of escaped live whelks, but still, we must have been lucky to get out of there alive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Eiffel Tower is ate in rust too, wouldn't pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Mary63 wrote: »
    Paris has been destroyed, its no longer a place where you feel safe, there are millions of Muslims in France so impossible to deal with the risk.There is a very big Muslim population near Nice too so not safe anymore to go there either.This is the future of all of Europe if we don't stop pussyfooting around with the PC stuff,do you think for a nano second any Muslim is going to respect the rights of women or the rights of homosexuals when their numbers are higher than their host populations.I really don't want to be around in a hundred years time when the balance tips in their favour.

I don't feel safe in a world where Parisian Muslim women are not allowed on some of the streets and in some of the cafes as they are now Men Only.
    I don't feel entirely safe in a world where nobody has so much as started a discussion on Boards about it, despite the recent news channel documentary showing what is going on. Anyone who thinks it's ok needs to boil their silly empty head, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It depends on the source - France doesn't gather official stats on religion in census as it's regarded as not the state's business.

2-8% Muslim but 63% non religious according to some surveys.

6-8% is probably accurate.

France has a massive mistreated Muslim population with decades....many of which followed it home from its colonies

Many of the cases of terrorist attacks are using Islamic as an excuse to rebel.....Ireland more than any country knows the effect of long term mistreatment of communities and what happens why it finally boils over into revolt

There is a reason why France and Belgium above all have the highest terrorist attacks.....it's historical amd settling old scores as much as religious....

.the attacks in Germany made no sense as afaik Germany has been quite good to Muslims

Thankfully the days of misogynistic or gender restrictive clubs and groups, and dodgy streets where assholes hang out are decades in the past here in Ireland eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

There is a reason why France and Belgium above all have the highest terrorist attacks.....

Because an increasing percentage of the population there was a muslim majority..

maryishere wrote: »
    Because an increasing percentage of the population there was a muslim majority..
    Nope, I've often found myself close to being radicalised in the Lowlands meself.

In Belgium when you ask for a burger they put gravy on it. . .

. . .AND YOU GET NO BAP!!

Thankfully the days of misogynistic or gender restrictive clubs and groups, and dodgy streets where assholes hang out are decades in the past here in Ireland eh? :)

Oh, come on. Golf clubs? You're not comparing them to highstreets and cafes, are you? And women are barred from being members of them not setting foot in them, I'd imagine? I don't have that much of a problem with men or women only clubs-men's shed is perfectly acceptable and there are various women only social group as well. A cafe is totally different and they've always been open to all.

• Advertisement

France has a massive mistreated Muslim population with decades....many of which followed it home from its colonies

Many of the cases of terrorist attacks are using Islamic as an excuse to rebel.....Ireland more than any country knows the effect of long term mistreatment of communities and what happens why it finally boils over into revolt

There is a reason why France and Belgium above all have the highest terrorist attacks.....it's historical amd settling old scores as much as religious....

.the attacks in Germany made no sense as afaik Germany has been quite good to Muslims

The attacks in Germany undermine your point to be honest. Yes there's a historical component but that's not the main reason. Think about what the Islamist Fascist have done to other Muslims and minority Christian groups and Jews back in their own territories of the Middle East. And what did little children or the disabled do to deserve any retaliation?

A cafe is totally different and they've always been open to all.
    I know more than one cafe owner that would argue with that statement, they'd especially be vehemently opposed to the custom of sexist pricks that don't want women in the same room, but carry on with the alarmist scaremongering anyway, sorry for butting in on you there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wrong. France has a massive mistreated indigenous population. They did not ask for this. The people did not send invitations around the globe to destroy their country.

Gotta hand it to those that class themselves as right leaning, they've always been at the forefront when it comes to protecting indigenous populations.

Not really sure how this applies in the Louvre attack though to be honest, I think Napoleon had a wee go at Egypt but he didn't get on too well there if I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Wrong. France has a massive mistreated indigenous population. They did not ask for this. The people did not send invitations around the globe to destroy their country.

Will you ever go on. A few decades ago they were galavanting around the world claiming ownership of swathes of the globe and its people; in the 60s they presided over mass persecution and torture in Algeria. In Paris the cops even drowned scores of Algerian men in the Seine in broad daylight during a demonstration.

It's gas like, the same people you find in France and England crying over immigrants are always the same ones utterly incapable of acknowledging their own countries imperialism.

I know more than one cafe owner that would argue with that statement, they'd especially be vehemently opposed to the custom of sexist pricks that don't want women in the same room, but carry on with the alarmist scaremongering anyway, sorry for butting in on you there :)

Nobody said other cafe owners want a males only cafe, I haven't a clue what you're on about them for.

It's not alarmist scaremongering, it's a fact, one that for some reason you're stubbornly trying to deflect from, and you're not helping the women in those areas one bit, hope you feel proud for that!. I will carry on commenting without your agreement, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,646 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh, come on. Golf clubs? You're not comparing them to highstreets and cafes, are you? And women are barred from being members of them not setting foot in them, I'd imagine? I don't have that much of a problem with men or women only clubs-men's shed is perfectly acceptable and there are various women only social group as well. A cafe is totally different and they've always been open to all.

It wasn't so long ago that women were not allowed in pubs in Ireland, and even when they were allowed in it was only the lounge not the bar, that was strictly men only.

It wasn't so long ago that women were not allowed in pubs in Ireland, and even when they were allowed in it was only the lounge not the bar, that was strictly men only.

Yes and did you know around the same time some women would slit the throat of a cockerel and string it up to bleed to death for St. Martin's day? A lot of them kept their hair covered in public, too. That was the 1950's in rural Ireland. This is 2016 Paris (when documentary was made) we're talking about now. It helps if you remind yourself of that every now and then.

Hint: It's not something we want to go back to, anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yes and did you know around the same time some women would slit the throat of a cockerel and string it up to bleed to death for St. Martin's day? A lot of them kept their hair covered in public, too. That was the 1950's in rural Ireland. This is 2016 Paris we're talking about now. It helps if you remind yourself of that every now and then.

One of the local pubs down the road from me in Dublin only began admitting women in 1993, I think it was.

Billy86 wrote: »
    One of the local pubs down the road from me in Dublin only began admitting women in 1993, I think it was.

Ok I said ''1950S'' I did not say it was ended in the 1950s, not sure what the necessity to point that out was. I would have thought the obvious issue is a modern day return to it, except it involves cafes and the street they're built on, NOT just bars, and it's Paris, not Ireland.

I don't want to have anything to do with men who justify and belittle the appalling human right abuse of women in Paris so I'm going to put all involved on Ignore setting. Pretty disgusted.

• Advertisement

Yes and did you know around the same time some women would slit the throat of a cockerel and string it up to bleed to death for St. Martin's day? A lot of them kept their hair covered in public, too. That was the 1950's in rural Ireland. This is 2016 Paris we're talking about now. It helps if you remind yourself of that every now and then.

Actually this was up into the late 80's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

There is simply no comparison between the lives women lived in Ireland in the 1950s and the lives homosexual people lived doesn't bear thinking about.We with the help of the EU and better education available to the entire population we did manage to enshrine laws in our constitution that guaranteed equal rights to every citizen regardless of their gender and sexual orientation.

The predominately Muslim countries are a mess led by one unstable dictator after the other, you would have to despair really of any progress.The women need to be kept underfoot so best way to do this is to make sure they can't read and write very well.Keep them tied to the home and if they dare to ask for a divorce stone them to death, ditto if they complain about being raped or beaten half to death, this will keep other women in line.

We are now in 2017 so why on earth is anyone talking about life in the 1950s, what is the point being made, that Muslim womens lot isn't really so bad after all and what are they complaining about.

There is simply no comparison between the lives women lived in Ireland in the 1950s and the lives homosexual people lived doesn't bear thinking about.We with the help of the EU and better education available to the entire population we did manage to enshrine laws in our constitution that guaranteed equal rights to every citizen regardless of their gender and sexual orientation.

The predominately Muslim countries are a mess led by one unstable dictator after the other, you would have to despair really of any progress.The women need to be kept underfoot so best way to do this is to make sure they can't read and write very well.Keep them tied to the home and if they dare to ask for a divorce stone them to death, ditto if they complain about being raped or beaten half to death, this will keep other women in line.

We are now in 2017 so why on earth is anyone talking about life in the 1950s, what is the point being made, that Muslim womens lot isn't really so bad after all and what are they complaining about.

Who is talking about the 1950's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Women in the lounge was a fact in the early 80s

That's fine so. Let the women in Paris be kept out of sight because of something in Ireland 30 years ago. Sexism is alive and well and thinly veiled by faux religious 'tolerance'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I love how these comparisons work. The golf club, the snug, the crusades...

They're so similar...

Ye cannot blame muslims for believing that us infidels should be outbreed and converted. Our granddaughters will be lucky enough to live in a sharia law, muslim majority Europe. Wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Which countries are we talking about here ? Turkey ? Iran ? Iraq ? Saudi Arabia ?

Just asking, you seem to think they are all similar.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Which countries are we talking about here ? Turkey ? Iran ? Iraq ? Saudi Arabia ?
    I would not like to live in any of the 56 or so muslim majority countries in the world. Some are "less worse" than others, but nevertheless God help our great-grandchildren under Sharia law.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Sureiknow

FTA69 wrote: »

Will you ever go on. A few decades ago they were galavanting around the world claiming ownership of swathes of the globe and its people;

Islam has been doing that since the 6th century.
    It infiltrates first as we are now seeing in Europe then it conquers.
    It's Facist entirly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I would not like to live in any of the 56 or so muslim majority countries in the world. Some are "less worse" than others, but nevertheless God help our great-grandchildren under Sharia law.

If you genuinely think your grandchildren will live under Sharia law then you're just swallowing the hysteria created by the likes of The Daily Mail or The Sun. It has no basis in reality.

Religion as a whole is on a steady decline in the West. Even though Islam is the fastest growing religion world wide, your grandchildren will more likely live in a society where religion doesn't play much of a role (at least not as it used to do) instead of under Sharia law.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/11518702/Mapped-What-the-worlds-religious-landscape-will-look-like-in-2050.html

If you genuinely think your grandchildren will live under Sharia law then you're just swallowing the hysteria created by the likes of The Daily Mail or The Sun. It has no basis in reality.

Religion as a whole is on a steady decline in the West. Even though Islam is the fastest growing religion world wide, your grandchildren will more likely live in a society where religion doesn't play much of a role (at least not as it used to do) instead of under Sharia law.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/11518702/Mapped-What-the-worlds-religious-landscape-will-look-like-in-2050.html

I might have agreed but I'm persuaded otherwise by the pro-Shariah and pro-Islam elements of recent womens marches(as opposed to neutral on religion, as they should be!).

This is quite a new phenomenon. I never expected to see feminists and activists actually glamourising a religion.

And then this documentary about the cafes in Paris banning women. And men on here condoning it! If someone had told me that could happen I wouldn't have believed it but it's insidiously becoming normal and accepted.

I might have agreed but I'm persuaded otherwise by the pro-Shariah and pro-Islam elements of recent womens marches(as opposed to neutral on religion, as they should be!).

This is quite a new phenomenon. I never expected to see feminists and activists actually glamourising a religion.

And then this documentary about the cafes in Paris banning women. And men on here condoning it! If someone had told me that could happen I wouldn't have believed it but it's insidiously becoming normal and accepted.

Who condoned it?

Even though Islam is the fastest growing religion world wide, your grandchildren will more likely live in a society where religion doesn't play much of a role (at least not as it used to do) instead of under Sharia law.

2050 is not great grand-childrens lifetime. And that link is debatable. For example, it estimates the % of muslims in France in 2050 to be 10.9%. FFS, some people estimated it more than that years ago!
    As said before, cccording to Jean-Paul Gourévitch (fr), there were 7.7 million Muslims( about 11 percent of the population) in metropolitan France in 2011. No doubt its higher now ....due to further immigration and high birthrate.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_France
    In 2050, with further immigration, legal and illegial ( possibly accelerated further due to climate change / overpopulation / pollution in certain countries ) and with muslim women being told to veil up and stay at home / not work and have big families, it is certain there will be much higher % than 11%. Most people in France think it is higher than that now, but the govt will not admit it.

All of the countries you mention Jelle1880.

Turkey has turned into a dictatorship and its no way a safe country now for Westerners to travel to or live in.It has become a very sinister place where you can lose your job and be imprisoned for merely exercising your right to protest.

Where is all the marching about the situation in Turkey, what has happened there is much more of a threat to the worlds stability than anything that is happening in the States.

You minimised what widdershins posted which is shocking Timberrrrr, you basically asked her what her problem was as forty years ago she wouldn't have been served alcohol in an Irish bar.

There are schools in the UK which have been entirely been taken over by Muslims, the schools Inspector has voiced his disquiet at what is being taught in these schools and he has been ignored because its not politically correct to object.Non muslims then will travel miles out of there way to other schools and this means then you have sink schools with children being indoctrinated instead of being taught properly.They leave school then with an inferior education and its everyone else's fault but their parents and their religious leaders.

Timberrrr answer to this will shure look at Ireland and the amount of catholic schools we have.

It has been estimate that the number of Muslims in France is at least fifteen per cent of the population, thats the ones who fill in census forms, God knows how many are in the country illegally.Muslim women marry early and have huge families, white French women start their families later while developing their professional careers and they have small families.The Germans and Italians have small families too so for every white western european child born there could be twelve Muslim children, it won't take too long for the numbers of Muslims to become a huge problem and Yes, I would be very concerned about my great gran daughters future too in a muslim dominated country.This is not scare mongering, we only have to look at France, Sweden and the Netherlands to see what has happened and its not pretty.

Could you list the 56 or so Muslim majority countries in the world?
    And please point out which of them are living under Sharia law please?

The Muslims living in Brussels, France, Germany and the UK are probably all living under sharia law bubblypop, they are hardly going to tell you about it.

There are plenty of women in the UK who have been murdered by their fathers and brothers because they choose not to marry someone chosen for them.The religious leaders keep quiet about this because this is the muslim way of doing business.Its very hard for the Police to bring successful prosecutions when girls can be disappeared and the only people reporting them gone are their teachers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The Muslims living in Brussels, France, Germany and the UK are probably all living under sharia law bubblypop, they are hardly going to tell you about it.
    What, all of them?

All of the countries you mention Jelle1880.

Turkey has turned into a dictatorship and its no way a safe country now for Westerners to travel to or live in.It has become a very sinister place where you can lose your job and be imprisoned for merely exercising your right to protest.

Where is all the marching about the situation in Turkey, what has happened there is much more of a threat to the worlds stability than anything that is happening in the States.

You minimised what widdershins posted which is shocking Timberrrrr, you basically asked her what her problem was as forty years ago she wouldn't have been served alcohol in an Irish bar.

There are schools in the UK which have been entirely been taken over by Muslims, the schools Inspector has voiced his disquiet at what is being taught in these schools and he has been ignored because its not politically correct to object.Non muslims then will travel miles out of there way to other schools and this means then you have sink schools with children being indoctrinated instead of being taught properly.They leave school then with an inferior education and its everyone else's fault but their parents and their religious leaders.

Timberrrr answer to this will shure look at Ireland and the amount of catholic schools we have.

It has been estimate that the number of Muslims in France is at least fifteen per cent of the population, thats the ones who fill in census forms, God knows how many are in the country illegally.Muslim women marry early and have huge families, white French women start their families later while developing their professional careers and they have small families.The Germans and Italians have small families too so for every white western european child born there could be twelve Muslim children, it won't take too long for the numbers of Muslims to become a huge problem and Yes, I would be very concerned about my great gran daughters future too in a muslim dominated country.This is not scare mongering, we only have to look at France, Sweden and the Netherlands to see what has happened and its not pretty.

I can't see Timberrr's posts, I find that kind of oppression-apologism quite disgusting.

• Advertisement

Everywhere in Europe the Muslims live turns into a ghetto, look at Paris, Sweden,Brussels, the Uk, huge areas of deprivation caused in the main by muslims having families too big to provide for.If we get large numbers into Ireland they will set up ghettoes in West Dublin or in a similar area of disadvantage.They will swarm the local schools so white Irish people will then send their children elsewhere, its called the white flight.We already have schools in Dublin where there isn't a single white irish child.

I heard recently that there are hardly any white Irish students in Bolton Street DIT now, is this true does anyone know.

I can't see Timberrr's posts, I find that kind of oppression-apologism quite disgusting.

The Muslim population in England and Wales nearly doubled in the past 10 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/11/muslim-population-england-wales-nearly-doubles-10-years

Do you really think the muslim population there will not double again he the next 10 years, given the much much higher birth rates etc ?

They will swarm the local schools so white Irish people will then send their children elsewhere, its called the white flight.
    You clearly don't know how the Irish school system works.

.They will swarm the local schools so white Irish people will then send their children elsewhere,
    Thats happening already.
    I was talking to a couple who send their kids to a Gaelscoil and the reason they said they did was "because they were much less coloureds / blacks there. " Just saying.

Thats happening already.
    I was talking to a couple who send their kids to a Gaelscoil and the reason they said they did was "because they were much less coloureds / blacks there. " Just saying.

Well, your friend is a racist. And an old timey one at that. Just saying.

The vast majority of school gives preference to baptised children and have done since the foundation of the state so you can sleep easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

they said they did was "because they were much less coloureds / blacks there. " Just saying.
    How did they actually say it?

Was it like this: "coloureds slash blacks", or maybe "coloureds forward slash blacks" or did they do a gesture of a slash mark between words?

• Advertisement

Well, your friend is a racist. And an old timey one at that. Just saying.
    I did not say it was a friend. I said it was a couple I was talking to. And if they are racist or not is beside the point. I pointed out the reality of what is happening. They do not want a load of immigrants ( some of whom may not even speak English) in their young kids class.

The vast majority of school gives preference to baptised children and have done since the foundation of the state so you can sleep easy.
    You do not think thats sectarian / wrong?

You can't blame them maryishere, who wants to stand at the school gates beside women dressed in black tents with a slit cut in the material for their eyes.

Its happening in inner city Dublin and in parts of West Dublin.I want my children to go to school with children of people I am comfortable with and I am not comfortable with men who refuse to shake my hand.If there is an influx of non nationals into an area the white irish will move their children to Gaelscoils, this is the main reason for the growth in Gaelscoils in Dublin.

You are better to avoid single sex secondary schools too if you don't want large numbers of muslims in the school.The muslims in some secondary schools are causing huge issues with school uniforms, they aren't just happy with the hi jab thing, they also want the girls to cover the neck area up completely so they wear extra clothes on top of the school shirts.They get away with this of course because its culturally sensitive, everyone else gets notes home if the uniform isn't correct.

A school in Nutgrove Dublin renamed it self Jesus Mary and something because of the amount of Muslims attending who were complaining about the Cross on the wall, I go to their countries and I have to dress they way they want and yet they come here and object to our crosses.

osarusan wrote: »
    How did they actually say it?

Was it like this: "coloureds slash blacks", or maybe "coloureds forward slash blacks" or did they do a gesture of a slash mark between words?

yeah, words to that effect;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Well this is just racial stereotyping now.

I would say they just said too many non nationals if they said anything at all.Most people are afraid to open their mouths in case they get a lecture from looney left types, thats how Brexit and Donald Trump happened.

Whats racial stereotyping Flint Fredstones, its another meaningless lefty type saying, what does it even mean.

Is me being called an infidel racist stereotyping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement