Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying mispronunciation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sit - yee - ashun

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

That would sound the same.
    It doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

posh young wans on the radio saying rindabite instead of roundabout

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

People who seem to think it's ok to replace their t's and th's with "sh".

I am nosh in favour of anyshing like thash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I've heard ads for Meteor being pronounced meatier, grinds my gears, wouldn't sign a contract with them on this basis, it only encourages them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

CaraMay wrote: »
    It doesn't

Can you explain the difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Big Davey

Crips instead of crisps
    Salsation instead of Alsatian (dog)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

westren/eastren instead of western/eastern.

Pat Kenny is the biggest culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

What do you use as your standard of correct pronunciation?
    The correct one ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

That would sound the same.

Both pronunciations are common enough to be considered standard.

By whom?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

A few that grate on my ears are:
    Adver-tizz-ment (advertisement)
    Comm-mitt-tee (committee)
    Millun (million)
    Tousind (Thousand)
    Sangich, especially when prefaced by "hang"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Us pronounced as Uzz

Asked pronounced as Axed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

English people who can't say 'Doherty' properly but instead say 'Dockerty'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

People who say "dat" instead of "this" and can't pronounce their th's in general sound like idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

Troath instead of Throat

Pronouncing the letter "H" as haych, "Z" as zee, "R" as or.
    And to the person who said there is no one way to pronounce words correctly, yes there is. The position of broad and slender vowels will dictate how a word is pronounced. In the case of "throat" the position of all the words will dictate how its pronounced!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Howarye - instead of How are you?
    or other extreme
    Roight - instead of right.

Not sure if my family can figure out where they think they're from but sometimes I just wish they would stop talking for a bit...

Can you explain the difference?

I did

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

People who pronounce the word "ask" as "aks"

Let me awks you a question....that kind of thing. Particularly irritating when a person with a London accent does it.

Youz instead of you (plural)

Cuz instead of cos / because

Nordies who say cearr instead of car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭markc1184

My other half pronounces hospital as hostipal and balcony as bankley. They annoy me. Also people who pronounce Cahill as Cayhill.

• Advertisement

I did

Poor trolling or laziness, I can't tell.
    macsauce wrote: »
    Troath instead of Throat

Pronouncing the letter "H" as haych, "Z" as zee, "R" as or.
    And to the person who said there is no one way to pronounce words correctly, yes there is. The position of broad and slender vowels will dictate how a word is pronounced. In the case of "throat" the position of all the words will dictate how its pronounced!

What are the correct ways to pronounce the following: "either," "neither," "tomato," "schedule" and "controversy?"

Oh, and "car."

When people call their children "Leem" and "Dave-it":mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

We had a teacher in Transition year who constantly said 'pacific' instead of specific. The word specific came up so much in the class it got so annoying. Always reminds me of this

Worse still, the word 'specificity' came up a good bit too. His way of pronoucing it: 'pis-if-ity'

It wrecked my head

Oddly enough it was my leaving cert geography teacher who said pacific. You would think that teachers of all people would understand correct pronunciation.

Poor trolling or laziness, I can't tell.

."

Maybe you say dissipline instead of discipline and that's why you can't tell the difference.

Maybe you say dissipline instead of discipline and that's why you can't tell the difference.

I also probably say "trole" instead of "troll" too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

kingtiger wrote: »
    I presume the OP means hi-genie

No, I'm obviously just crap at explaining myself.

Most people pronounce 'Hygienic' as 'high-jean-ic' or 'high-jenn-ic', but this woman said 'high-jee-enn-ic'. She was a home ec teacher too, so it came up a lot.

Oddly enough it was my leaving cert geography teacher who said pacific. You would think that teachers of all people would understand correct pronunciation.

Did he say The 'Specific' Ocean.?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

Oregano http://tinyurl.com/czblr8mnice on pizza
    However it has been called http://tinyurl.com/c4tm983

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Lenth. As in giving up sweets for Lenth. There's no h dammit!

And also the D4 accent. I know it's an accent and not a deliberate way of pronouncing things wrong, but it's just awful. Any vowel sounds just come out all wrong in that accent, ruining most words.

Oregano http://tinyurl.com/czblr8mnice on pizza
    However it has been called http://tinyurl.com/c4tm983

In the original Italian, the emphasis is on the second syllable, "origano." In American English you tend to hear a similar pronunciation (with the "i" changed to "e" of course), and here and in the UK you hear that pronunciation as well as another pronunciation with an emphasis on the the third syllable, "oregano."

If you wanted to be picky you could say that the former pronunciation is preferable as it's closest to the original Italian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

I hate the way Irish people mispronounce "car," "bar," "star" etc. by using the short vowel sound and pronouncing the "r."

You sound like my uppity, elocution obsessed sixth class teacher. That's not a mispronunciation, it's how people with Irish accents say those words.
    Raekwon wrote: »
    Everybody from outside the pale saying "Ye" instead of "You"

Delighted nobody thanked this. 'Ye' isn't a mispronunciation, it's a colloquialism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Guess who this is?

Liz-Bonne.

Stock-Hollum.

Mee-Shell.

Eliza-Beth.

:pac:

You sound like my uppity, elocution obsessed sixth class teacher. That's not a mispronunciation, it's how people with Irish accents say those words.

Delighted nobody thanked this. 'Ye' isn't a mispronunciation, it's a colloquialism.

I know, that was my point.
    In fairness, I was aware before posting that the sarcasm wouldn't come through, but I went with the post anyway for punchiness. It bugs me when anyone complains about "correct pronunciation," but particularly when Irish people do it without acknowledging the perfectly acceptable fact that most of us pronounce lots of words differently to the vast majority of English speakers.
    The inconsistency of internal logic really bugs me.

And I also hate people complaining about "ye." It's a perfectly cromulent word that's quite useful, making it clear you're talking to multiple people.

I also hate the 'do be' and the 'does be' brigade.

I was always taught that it was the height of bad manners to correct people's speech and spelling mistakes and yet, here I am., I'm ashamed of myself.:o

Both pronunciations are common enough to be considered standard.

I have never heard someone pronounce the 'i' in genuine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

When a Guard pulls you over and says, "Shtay in your vehicle. Loosh the haaitittude."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

People saying veh-hicle instead of ve-hicle

I have never heard someone pronounce the 'i' in genuine.

It's quite common in the US, particularly, I believe, in southern states.

I also hear both pronunciations in Ireland, but "gen-yoo-inn" is more common.

krudler wrote: »
    People who say "dat" instead of "this" and can't pronounce their th's in general sound like idiots.

I've discovered that to a lot of English people, we all sound like this.

• Advertisement

As it's a soft c in discipline, I can't figure how they'd sound different. :confused:

And I also hate people complaining about "ye." It's a perfectly cromulent word that's quite useful, making it clear you're talking to multiple people.

Ah ok, using the joke Simpsons word, grand so.

ruthloss wrote: »
    I also hate the 'do be' and the 'does be' brigade

That comes from translating Irish to English. I kinda like it, it's unique to Ireland.

Ah ok, using the joke Simpsons word, grand so.

I actually think it is grand. Of course, one could also use words like "acceptable" or "legitimate," and the joke in The Simpsons was that "cromulent" was not a standard word, being only used in Springfield.

But it's actually quite a useful word, being more specific than "acceptable" or "legitimate" as it refers to language in particular.

That's what's so great about English: it's always expanding and becoming more flexible, using words from a variety of sources to fill niches where we don't have a particular word in English (we can also thank the Simpsons for "schadenfraude," and the Germans too, I suppose), embiggening the language every day.

A teacher of ours gave up on us and said as she wrote on the blackboard.,

"When you see 'THREE' ....say.....'FREE', it's not quite right but it sounds better than TREE".:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The way some English people don't pronounce the h in certain words. Like 'oliday' instead of holiday, or 'at' instead of hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Those idiots with that contrived pretentious moronic D4 (the ones who were not born anywhere near D4) accent who say everything is "Fuuntaaasssstiick", fantastic to you and me, the poverty stricken fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

English people who can't say 'Doherty' properly but instead say 'Dockerty'

Irish people who say derrby instead of Dahbey. (Derby)

we can also thank the Simpsons for "schadenfraude,"

For popularising it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've discovered that to a lot of English people, we all sound like this.

the way some English people over pronounce the G at the end of words like its a word itself annoys me, "that got me thinkinggg-uh!"

As it's a soft c in discipline, I can't figure how they'd sound different. :confused:

Because they pronounce it with 2 hard s's - dis sipline

• Advertisement
Advertisement