Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College and Gaming

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I mean, we can keep talking about “moderation” but these people don’t appear to take anything in moderation. Well, maybe they take their hygiene in moderation.

There's plenty of people skimping on their hygiene who don't play games last time I checked.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

ranto_boy wrote: »
    Two lads I know have taken today off, because of the new (well old) Mario game. Yeah the one they played when younger. Supposed men in their thirties.

I knew some people working in a Telecom Company in Cambridge a few years ago who used to take a half day once a week to go home and watch television because - BBC I think - was showing one rerun episode a week of Thunderbirds.

They were in their 30s and entirely normal upstanding hard working members of society. They just had an interest in something many others do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We are in a pandemic, we can go shopping, go to a cafe, go to a pub if you pay for food too.
    Its not strange that more people are spending more time gaming.
    Games are very advanced now , with 3d hd graphics .
    Games like the last of us have a complex story with realistic characters ,
    maybe better than many of the cliched crime drama,s on tv.
    The time when pc gaming was just for kids or teens is long past.
    i think fallout 4 has a better story than most of the programs that are on tv.
    Many people that never tried gaming are buying a nintendo switch
    and playing games like animal crossing.
    for obvious reasons students are spending alot of time at home
    since many schools are doing teaching using zoom and other online apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

s1ippy wrote: »
    Hopscotch is specifically a children's game to develop balance, proprioception and turn-taking skills. It has its place in childhood but it wouldn't be of benefit to or enjoyable for an adult. Drawing on the footpaths could be compared to the groups who go around decorating cities with murals and planting pots to add character. There's nothing wrong with occupying some of your time doing the latter as you get a feeling of fulfilment and the city looks better for it.

I play video games as a way of rewarding myself for tasks and achievements, or if I'm stressed in the run up to an event, interview or presentation to make the time go by more quickly. I hate winter and usually get to go out playing music in pubs but I suspect that this year I'll spend a lot more of my time playing games with friends online.

Tbh I think it's sad if people don't have the fine motor coordination, concentration or imagination required to enjoy games. Why don't you watch a few episodes of computer chronicles with Stewart Cheifet and he'll give you a crash course :D

Handheld console, GAMEBOY. An auld bit of stockhammer on the side as well

It is funny that if someone in an office on a Monday morning says they spent the weekend binge watching the entirety of seasons 428 of their favourite show in one or two sittings on a box set or netflix this is considered somewhat ok - but someone who spent a few hours gaming not so much.

It is also funny to see it being made out to by solely a guy thing. More and more of the fairer sex are into gaming these days. My own girlfriends would be into gaming on occasion as much as I would. Some games are even so well made the girls would be happy just to watch me play them like watching any TV or Movie.

I am a very infrequent gamer myself. But when I do invest in a game I then invest myself completely in it. I will play it for hours at a time until completion on one binge and I will complete it to 100% if possible. Every side mission and every bit of storyline.

I play one or perhaps two games a year so it almost never happens. But I will give it hours when I do. The Witcher series for example probably got 200 hours of my life. I somewhat expect the upcoming Cyberpunk game will take a fair chunk too.

The phrase "Computer Game" however is very misleading. It encompasses too much. Some games are mindless tripe while others are true works of actual art. Investing 200 hours in a single game for me depends mightily on the game. With a decent work of art 200 hours is fine. While with another game even 200 seconds would be an egregious and unforgivable waste of my time. Something like Minecraft will never get 5 minutes of my attention. And even 5 minutes is generous.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    My experience with people playing that sh*te for hours is that they’re far from social and do unfortunately often correspond to the idea of withdrawn loners cooped up in their rooms.

There is a large element of what is called "Selection Bias" there though. It happens with many things. Not just computer games. Take drugs for example. Many people have certain negative stereotypes of what people who take drugs are like.

The reason for this is very simple. The people who play a lot of games or take a lot of drugs - but not to the detriment of the rest of their lives - we simply do not notice.

We only _notice_ the ones who are problematic and so our stereotypes are only fed by the noticeable extremes. The rest - even those who play a lot - simply do not register with you so do not feed into your stereotypes.

I do not see the problem you do with defining it as a hobby. Unless you are using a dictionary very very different from the ones I own - the word hobby covers it perfectly. It is certainly no more or less a hobby that watching television or watching grown men on television playing ball games. Nor are computer games more or less infantile than grown men playing ball games or watching other grown men play ball games rather than do so yourself.
    I dunno, seems to me part of a wider infantilisation of people I see going on.

Some of that goes on but not as much as I think people imagine. Actually quite often the opposite is happening as things aimed at a younger audience are so often done in a mature way that does not patronise or infantilise that audience - or treat them as children - that it naturally makes it accessible to adults too.

For example a whole swath of young adult fiction - fiction aimed at children or teens - is very accessible to adults. Not because the adults are being made into infants. But because the material aimed at children respects it's audience and does not talk down to them. I would much rather read young adult fiction from John Green - or something like the "Gone" series than many works supposedly written for and targetted at adults.

It comes down for me not to the target market of any particular product service or media - but to how the producer treats that target audience in their work. And this can leave something aimed at tiny children accessible to adults - while leaving things targetted at adults so dumb and patronising I would not even insult a child with it.
    banging away on computer games for hours upon hours a week isn’t healthy by any means.

Pursuing _any_ hobby too much especially to the detriment of other areas of your life is not healthy. There is no reason to single computer games out for this. You can over do any hobby to the point of it becoming unhealthy. You can over do reading. You can over do collecting. You can over do the gym. You can over do drinking. And so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

You are all your own bosses if you are adults. Spend your free time as you wish.

But don't dare ever use that bogus term 'e-sports' in my presence.

You have bikes and electric bikes. You have mail and electronic mail. This is modern times. OK.

But pressing buttons in room on a summer day with the curtain closed is the fupping 180-degree diametric opposite of sport. Consider this a cordial invitation to get real on that.

And I suppose it would be more acceptable to you if they took the day off to go shopping for new shirts and slacks, then home to guffaw at the paper while listening to liveline? Mind your own business what people do in their own time, I'm pretty sure your hobbies would have some people rolling their eyes as well.

I have friends who take the week off work for Cheltenham and go to the pub all day. That to me is absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ranto_boy

I have friends who take the week off work for Cheltenham and go to the pub all day. That to me is absolute madness.

I think to be comparable to what I said, your friends would have to take time off to watch Cheltenham from twenty years ago. Ones they remember well. Races that they could easily if they wanted to, watch for free on Youtube. But maybe the racing post is selling HD versions of the races. And you'd fork over 80 quid for them.

I think to be comparable to what I said, your friends would have to take time off to watch Cheltenham from twenty years ago. Ones they remember well. Races that they could easily if they wanted to, watch for free on Youtube. But maybe the racing post is selling HD versions of the races. And you'd fork over 80 quid for them.

Yeah taking a day for that particular game is a bit of a head scratcher considering its already out on older systems.

I have once called in sick when a new game came out so I'm clearly biased in this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Christ there's some auld bags in this thread...
    mariaalice wrote: »
    A few things have you got a job?, do you pay for your own heating and food, contribute to the maintenance of the house? and what is you plan when your parent die and you have to house yourself.

I do, full time night shift job, suits me perfect. I pay my way with everything and then some. When they die, I will be allowed to live in the house if none of the siblings have an issue with it (they don't, they all have their own places, be it purchased or council), but if someone has an issue the house will be sold and we'll all get our share.
    Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself of a few things more than anyone else.

Why? Why did you get that from my post? The only time I need to convince myself of anything is when people like you and, who I now consider a complete troll, the OP, tell me that there's something wrong with me because my life is not conforming to your outdated ideologies of what a male adult should do. I then need to convince myself that no, ye are not right and I am right for doing what I want to do with my life which is no one elses business.
    So how are the games then? As good as as they were in 1996? :)

Some are just as good, some are better, some are worse. Depends on what you want in a game.

Re: anime. Have ye actually watched any? Unlike most western cartoons, they contain far better life lessons. Just because it's not something you like, or obviously you don't understand, doesn't mean it's wrong. It's massive in Japan because a: that's where it originated, and b: it's an escape from the totalitarian type of views that older Japanese people believe the younger ones should conform to. More backwards thinking. Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba has one of the most beautifully animated scenes I've ever seen, as lauded by critics around the world (not to mention it's fantastic in general). Also, there are loads of anime out there aimed at the 18+ market, so it's not all "kids cartoons". It's just another medium to tell a story.

Tell me, oh smarter adults, what should I be doing with my life to conform to your ideas of normality? Please inform me, because apparently I'm not able to adult properly because of my love of gaming and anime. Genuine question, please tell me what I'm supposed to be into as an adult.

Edit: I wanted to add, I was a Garda for 9 years (good(?) job), I had a mortgage, a long term girlfriend (7 years) and the possibility of having kids if I actually wanted them (I don't). I reckon I was in the pit of depression during all that, trying to keep up with the Jones', and it nearly drove me to do something stupid to myself. Actually, it did, I was borderline alcoholic drinking a bottle of rum nearly every night. Since I quit the Gardai, sold the house (and took a 20k hit), ended the relationship (she wanted kids even though she said she didn't, she has one now) and moved home, and I'm in a far better place mentally since. I could even say I'm happy. But then you've these people coming along here and in real life telling me there's something wrong with me because I'm a 37 year old anime loving gamer who doesn't have the patience to be dealing with these people anymore. I put it down to pure jealousy these days, jealous of the free time I have for myself and the way I spend it (doing what I like) while they are stuck in the typical life of mortgage/kids/wife/job they hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Tbh, the people who seem least mature are the ones who dismiss someone else as being childish because they have a hobby that they themselves have no interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its not just a guy thing, plenty of women and teen girls play games,
    consoles and the nintendo switch are designed to be easy to use
    by anyone.
    i think gaming is more popular than ever and its a safe thing to do,
    in the time where more people have to spend more time at home .
    Everyone has different hobbys, some people watch every single gaa or soccer match show on tv, or binge various shops on netflix.
    gaming is social in that you can do it while talking to people or
    play games in coop , eg 2 player games with someone else in the same room .

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Lockheed

I'm in college at the moment studying aviation/flying, and I have a part time job in a hotel, and sometimes I like to play games. I hate shooters like call of duty, apex, any kind of game that values reflexes over strategy. Altough sometimes I indulge myself to a 9-10 hour flight on flight sim. I take off around 6am, plop her on autopilot and do chores around the house, and land before dinner. When you have a healthy way to enjoy something it is a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Rothko wrote: »
    Tbh, the people who seem least mature are the ones who dismiss someone else as being childish because they have a hobby that they themselves have no interest in.

Yeah, they tend to be the pub bully type.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

My Dad is 62. He retired 7 years ago and restored some vintage cars, improved the house etc, got a little bored. My brother bought him a ps4 which he hadn't any great interest in until last year. He's happy out playing the Witcher and RDR2 (he always liked westerns anyway) now. He's not great at games but still. During lockdown Dad my brother and I ended playing online together one or two evenings a week, which was a handy way to keep in contact as we live in Limerick, Galway and Kildare. No awkward silence or anything and you'd remember if you'd something to tell or ask them compared to a phone call where you be off the phone 5 min and you'd think of something.

Rothko wrote: »

Close minded people are usually immature and afraid of something a little different so need to insult it and claim they are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The recent call of duty game requires, insanely an 200 GB download . As I currently only have 2tb in hard drive space and wireless mostly 3G internet connection I couldn't play it even if I wanted to.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Feisar wrote: »
    In my thirties and would still give Baldur's Gate (an RPG, pure nerd central) an odd run. I pretty much stopped when I went to college. It wasn't conscious. Work, study, women, gym and beer took up to much time.

Ha ha started bg1 again there recently, playing today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

John66 wrote: »
    I suppose like most teenagers he doesn't lift a finger at home

Make him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I knew some people working in a Telecom Company in Cambridge a few years ago who used to take a half day once a week to go home and watch television because - BBC I think - was showing one rerun episode a week of Thunderbirds.

They were in their 30s and entirely normal upstanding hard working members of society. They just had an interest in something many others do not.

Imagine you could record TV programmes. What an amazing game changer that would be for people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My oldest son has adhd, gaming was recommended to us as relaxant for him by a psychologist .. it’s the only time he sits still. It fulfills his need for constant stimulus.
    He only has a switch, and his go to is strategy games, he watches then being played online also, it’s down to parenting tbh, he wants a pc for Christmas from Santa, and Im considering getting it for him for him because he knows where the line is and when he can play and when he can’t.
    I never allowed him to play fortnite as kids with adhd can have traits of addictive personality - I’ve done the research and know games like fortnite aren’t a good idea for him
    Unfortunately he is useless at chores, by the time he gets to one room... he has forgotten why he’s in there but that’s from adhd not anything to do with gaming.

We have his adhd under control, no medication as we use sport as an outlet (5/6 times a week training) and when he needs to wind down his brain, gaming works for him, he gets the stimulus he needs without actually moving. Most people dont believe he had adhd, he is a popular kid and great in school...he’s constantly moving but that’s about it, and I can honestly say it’s through sport/gaming or watching gaming.
    It’s a win for us! Got to set boundaries when they are young tho.. so OP you just gotta hope your son steps up when he goes to college... and it more than likely will, gaming is not the worst thing out there

• Advertisement
Advertisement