Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out after weight loss

Options
  • 12-08-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

About a year ago I finished a year-long weightloss journey of losing 8 stone. Didn't involve much exercise bar a bit of walking and a home exercise bike, but it was 90-95% diet. After that due to personal/professional stresses, I ended up putting back on two stone over about nine months. Recognised it, so went back on the diet (which worked out well as I started it about two weeks before quarantine started hitting which made it easier to stick to the diet) and have lost most of it again, and was planning on losing a bit more after. The trouble is, I'm hitting a serious wall.

My metabolism seems to be shot to sh*t. After so long on the diet and just being so used to eating diet-type food and quantities, I'm usually only eating 1200-1400 calories a day. Trouble is, I'm not losing any weight, and if I eat 1500cals+ I put on weight. My plan when I restarted the diet was to join a gym when I'd lost a bit more in order to tone up (because being so overweight for 15+ years and then losing 8 stone doesn't come without its flabby, saggy consequences). Given the virus however, I want to plan a home gym routine in order to tone up, lose weight (or at least bodyfat which might be the better metric to focus on), and more importantly get my metabolism back on track.

I have the aforementioned exercise bike, but I also have a weightlifting bench I bought years ago (and am still trying to clean the dust off considering how long it was lying in the shed). It's similar to this but without the lat pulldown extension at the front or the arm curl pad.

My current plan that I wanted to run by you that I found elsewhere is:

Workout A:
    3x5 Barbell rows
    3x5 Bench press
    3x5 Squats

Workout B:
    3x5 Incline dumbbell rows
    3x5 Overhead press
    3x5 Deadlifts

Last set in each of the above as many reps as possible. 3 workouts per week on a two week ABABAB cycle. Then two days light cardio on bike. So 3 weights days, 2 light cardio days and 2 rest days per week.

In terms of diet, stick to 1200-1400cals on rest/cardio days, aim for 1600-1800 on weights days.

Any and all tips or advice on the above greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Definitely do some research in to a reverse diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Definitely do some research in to a reverse diet.

Thanks, just took a quick look and that's generally along the lines of what I'm hoping to do along with the workouts, that a combination of workouts and increasing calories gradually will boost metabolism as well as helping me tone up and lose bodyfat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Penn wrote: »
    Hey folks,

About a year ago I finished a year-long weightloss journey of losing 8 stone. Didn't involve much exercise bar a bit of walking and a home exercise bike, but it was 90-95% diet. After that due to personal/professional stresses, I ended up putting back on two stone over about nine months. Recognised it, so went back on the diet (which worked out well as I started it about two weeks before quarantine started hitting which made it easier to stick to the diet) and have lost most of it again, and was planning on losing a bit more after. The trouble is, I'm hitting a serious wall.

My metabolism seems to be shot to sh*t. After so long on the diet and just being so used to eating diet-type food and quantities, I'm usually only eating 1200-1400 calories a day. Trouble is, I'm not losing any weight, and if I eat 1500cals+ I put on weight. My plan when I restarted the diet was to join a gym when I'd lost a bit more in order to tone up (because being so overweight for 15+ years and then losing 8 stone doesn't come without its flabby, saggy consequences). Given the virus however, I want to plan a home gym routine in order to tone up, lose weight (or at least bodyfat which might be the better metric to focus on), and more importantly get my metabolism back on track.

I have the aforementioned exercise bike, but I also have a weightlifting bench I bought years ago (and am still trying to clean the dust off considering how long it was lying in the shed). It's similar to this but without the lat pulldown extension at the front or the arm curl pad.

My current plan that I wanted to run by you that I found elsewhere is:

Workout A:
    3x5 Barbell rows
    3x5 Bench press
    3x5 Squats

Workout B:
    3x5 Incline dumbbell rows
    3x5 Overhead press
    3x5 Deadlifts

Last set in each of the above as many reps as possible. 3 workouts per week on a two week ABABAB cycle. Then two days light cardio on bike. So 3 weights days, 2 light cardio days and 2 rest days per week.

In terms of diet, stick to 1200-1400cals on rest/cardio days, aim for 1600-1800 on weights days.

Any and all tips or advice on the above greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First off, congratulations on the weight loss. That's an amazing achievement. I'll just briefly comment on the weight program.

The best thing about the program is its simplicity. When people are starting out lifting weights, they can get caught up with too much in complexity. Often, the best thing to do is just start lifting weights.

Second good thing is it incorporates 5 major compounds. They will help you to build a good, balanced foundation for strenght. Start off light and learn correct form.

Some advice: While you are starting your program, you should also read up more on lifting weight. You will come across ideas like progressive overload, compounds vs isolation, strength vs hypertrophy, periodization, 1RM, 5RM, etc. You will want to learn about these ideas because you don't want to be doing weights for the next 6 months and not be making progress.

You will also come across programs like Stronglifts and Starting Strenght for beginners and programs for intermediate and advanced athletes. You'll probably need to invest in a power rack or squat stand with spotters as you move on over the next few months if you plan on working from home by yourself.

Overall though, the program is good to start out with. Best of luck with it.

Just a quick edit: Be careful on the squat and bench on the last sets by trying to work to failure. That means you cannot lift the bar off your chest or stand up with the bar on your back. As the weight increases, that's not a place you want to be if you are working alone/without spotters

Great stuff, cheers. Yeah the definition of 'as many reps as possible' I saw basically said to stop when you know you have one or two more reps in you, to avoid injury and like you say the fact you'd be without spotters or safety catches or whatever.

I don't plan on going too heavy or getting to the stage of needing a squat rack, not for the foreseeable anyway, as I'm already a bit cramped in the spare bedroom and it's upstairs too on timber floor so don't want to overload the joists. My current plan is to do enough at home over the next 4-6 months to prepare me for starting in a gym in the new year and being able to push myself further there (covid depending, of course).

In terms of the bench I'm using is there any point keeping the side arms on it or is there anything in my plan I should swap out for something that incorporates them?

I was using a modified version of a routine I found here, swapping the chinups for the incline dumbbell rows (as I've nothing to do chin-ups on).

I think I'll spend the rest of the month with light weights and just practicing form, breathing etc, then start fully in Sept. WIll read up on the other things you mentioned in the meantime too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Great stuff, cheers. Yeah the definition of 'as many reps as possible' I saw basically said to stop when you know you have one or two more reps in you, to avoid injury and like you say the fact you'd be without spotters or safety catches or whatever.

I don't plan on going too heavy or getting to the stage of needing a squat rack, not for the foreseeable anyway, as I'm already a bit cramped in the spare bedroom and it's upstairs too on timber floor so don't want to overload the joists. My current plan is to do enough at home over the next 4-6 months to prepare me for starting in a gym in the new year and being able to push myself further there (covid depending, of course).

In terms of the bench I'm using is there any point keeping the side arms on it or is there anything in my plan I should swap out for something that incorporates them?

I was using a modified version of a routine I found here, swapping the chinups for the incline dumbbell rows (as I've nothing to do chin-ups on).

I think I'll spend the rest of the month with light weights and just practicing form, breathing etc, then start fully in Sept. WIll read up on the other things you mentioned in the meantime too. Thanks.

Just to echo on the AMRAP sets, stop when form starts to break down. You can usually muscle your way through an extra rep or two but technique falls off a cliff so keep it to reps where technique is decent.

What kind of weights do you have? Is it dumbbells and a barbell or just one of those and how much weight could you conceivably have on the DBs/BB to lift?

• Advertisement

Just to echo on the AMRAP sets, stop when form starts to break down. You can usually muscle your way through an extra rep or two but technique falls off a cliff so keep it to reps where technique is decent.

What kind of weights do you have? Is it dumbbells and a barbell or just one of those and how much weight could you conceivably have on the DBs/BB to lift?

Dumbbells and a barbell. Have maybe 40-50kg in different weights (5kgs, 2.5kgs and 1.25kgs).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I have no advice on the workout, but I just wanted to post to say congrats on the weight loss. Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

If you're not overweight anymore, then end the dieting and just try to maintain your current weight while getting stronger. Then start adding calories when you hit a strength plateau.

Plan looks mostly fine. Exercise order could be better though. I would go:

1. Squat/Deadlift
    2. Bench / OHP
    3. Row

I'd also sub the incline DB rows for chin-ups if you have some way of doing them.

Also same things guys above have said about the AMRAP sets.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I have no advice on the workout, but I just wanted to post to say congrats on the weight loss. Incredible!

Thanks. Wasn't going to mention it but was too relevant to my metabolism issue not to.
    Cill94 wrote: »
    If you're not overweight anymore, then end the dieting and just try to maintain your current weight while getting stronger. Then start adding calories when you hit a strength plateau.

Plan looks mostly fine. Exercise order could be better though. I would go:

1. Squat/Deadlift
    2. Bench / OHP
    3. Row

I'd also sub the incline DB rows for chin-ups if you have some way of doing them.

Also same things guys above have said about the AMRAP sets.

I would say I'm still overweight, could stand to lose maybe another 5kgs. But like a previous post, I think maintaining current weight while trying to boost metabolism through exercise/muscle-building should actually facilitate that better than dieting due to me hitting a wall with it. Currently looking at things to add to my existing meals or increasing portion size.

As for the chinups, I might be able to use the bench I have to do incline chin ups using the barbell if you think that'd be better. Just don't particularly want (and possibly don't have the room for) putting a chin-up bar or frame in the door.

Dumbbells and a barbell. Have maybe 40-50kg in different weights (5kgs, 2.5kgs and 1.25kgs).

One thing I would suggest is to record your lifts from the side, particularly for squat and deadlift. Better to start out trying to nail the technique and build everything on that good foundation. If you ingrain bad movements, you'll end up picking up niggles or injuries and it's also more difficult to correct the bad movements when you've spent a while doing them.

Down the line, look at increasing sets and reps as times on. You could hit a ceiling with the weights so you can increase the workload with them.

In time, I'd look at adding in an extra exercise at the end - something to complement the main lifts. You're doing three workouts a week so you could add an exercise at the end of each that would complement squat, bench and deadlift. Something like lunges, incline DB bench and single-leg RDLs, for example.

• Advertisement

One thing I would suggest is to record your lifts from the side, particularly for squat and deadlift. Better to start out trying to nail the technique and build everything on that good foundation. If you ingrain bad movements, you'll end up picking up niggles or injuries and it's also more difficult to correct the bad movements when you've spent a while doing them.

Down the line, look at increasing sets and reps as times on. You could hit a ceiling with the weights so you can increase the workload with them.

In time, I'd look at adding in an extra exercise at the end - something to complement the main lifts. You're doing three workouts a week so you could add an exercise at the end of each that would complement squat, bench and deadlift. Something like lunges, incline DB bench and single-leg RDLs, for example.

Yeah I was going to do an 8-week cycle, maybe increasing weights every two weeks. Then after the 8 weeks change it up in some way by increasing sets/reps or adding something for the next 8 weeks. That should then take me up to near Christmas where I can re-evaluate everything. Will look into some of the ones you suggested.

Good advice on recording myself too. Have only done one workout so far (minimal weights on the bar until I get used to it) and think my form is alright but obviously hard to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

I'd see no reason to keep the arms on at this stage. They're probably just in your way. If you are going to add chest flyes later, you can still do these without the side arms.
    Yeah I was going to do an 8-week cycle, maybe increasing weights every two weeks. Then after the 8 weeks change it up in some way by increasing sets/reps or adding something for the next 8 weeks. That should then take me up to near Christmas where I can re-evaluate everything. Will look into some of the ones you suggested.

Good advice on recording myself too. Have only done one workout so far (minimal weights on the bar until I get used to it) and think my form is alright but obviously hard to know.

Alf's advice on recording your lifts is good. Learning good form as a beginner is much easier than trying to correct your form a year down the road. Its essential to avoid injuries too.

Also, you've just started thinking about progressive overload too which is essential to building mass and strenght.

You do this by either adding weight, reps, sets, frequency, reducing time between sets, or a combination of these things.

As for the chinups, I might be able to use the bench I have to do incline chin ups using the barbell if you think that'd be better. Just don't particularly want (and possibly don't have the room for) putting a chin-up bar or frame in the door.

Would this be a suitable alternative to chin ups?

Would this be a suitable alternative to chin ups?

That's a row (a horizontal pulling movement). Chin/pull ups are vertical pulling movements.

Do you have any resistance bands?

That's a row (a horizontal pulling movement). Chin/pull ups are vertical pulling movements.

Do you have any resistance bands?

Yeah, I have these
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WDKHF26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FKNoFbS0HX6YM
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L9WLKZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HLNoFb1DXCW39

First ones will be the ones you could use.

If you can set up something like this:

You're trying to mimic being upright and pulling down like a lat pulldown or similar.

Said I'd post a small update

Now on Week 5 of my program, and very happy with results thus far. The exercise has kickstarted my metabolism again and I've dropped almost 3kg since the start of the month. Enjoying the workouts, though did have to take a break from it last week as my right arm felt very fatigued (I think partially because of other factors in terms of things I was doing in addition to the workouts like gardening/homecare things). All good now though so cracking back into it.

Workout A (3x5+)
    7.5min Exercise bike
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Barbell Rows
    7.5min Exercise bike

Workout B (3x5+)
    7.5min Exercise bike
    Lat Pull (like the band vertical pull in Alf's video above)
    Overhead Press
    Deadlift
    7.5min Exercise bike

30min exercise bike 2 days per week, 2 full rest days per week.
    ABABAB cycle over two weeks, then increase weights for the next two weeks.

I did get a chin up bar for the door. I've discovered I can do a few chin ups (2, maybe 3), but no pull ups. But I'm finding them difficult so going to stick with the lat pull instead for the next while.

Open to any additional advice or suggestions anyone has, and thanks again for all the help so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Said I'd post a small update

Good job!

It's normal to find chin-ups easier, as they utilise more bicep. I generally recommend people just get strong at chins first. Usually by the time you can do around 10 strict chins, you'll be able to get a few pull-ups.

Advertisement