Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good physio recommendation.

Options
  • 06-08-2020 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi, anyone can recommend a good physio? My last few visits I got a feeling that physio goals are to make sure the visit doesn't run over the time limit. Also few different people had different opinions on the matter which just makes it all more confusing. So unless you're a part of say national rugby team etc. where physio goal is to make sure players are fit and ready in reality I think all these folks I went to were more concerned about churning the most amount of customers in a day. And so my issues with the back continue with the usual injuries that I pick up whenever I start training. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I find it very hard to get a decent physio too.
    As you say, they want you in and out and are more concerned about booking you in for a repeat visit.
    One I went to was very good. He actually did really aggressive massage on the problem area for an hour.
    When I can out the problem was gone and never came back.
    But other physios i went to before that do some cracks as if they are expected to do it and give you excercises and tell you to come back the following week. Rinse and repeat.
    Some journalist should do an undercover filming on some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Alot of spoofers out there...all they care about is getting you back for another 6 visits at 50euro+ a pop....

Also, they are "too good" to give a proper massage....its beneath them...

They just give you a few exercises you can find online yourself...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I find it very hard to get a decent physio too.
    As you say, they want you in and out and are more concerned about booking you in for a repeat visit.
    One I went to was very good. He actually did really aggressive massage on the problem area for an hour.
    When I can out the problem was gone and never came back.
    But other physios i went to before that do some cracks as if they are expected to do it and give you excercises and tell you to come back the following week. Rinse and repeat.
    Some journalist should do an undercover filming on some of them.

That guy still around ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A good physio doesn't want you back too often.

Myself and my wife were in a car crash years ago. My wife had a lot of back and neck problems as a result. Physio she was sent to had her back for 30+ sessions. No improvement.

Got a recommendation for a different physio. He said if he could resolve it in 4 sessions, physiotherapy wasn't going to be the solution, after 3 he said she was good to go and she hasn't had any issues since.

I've been there with other issues and the same principle applied - identify the root cause, what he could do but mostly what I needed to be doing to mitigate against it happening again.

That was Aidan Woods (and his team) - Pearse Street Physio.

Also, Dublin Sports Clinic.

But aside from that, a sports massage often won't fix something on it's own.

Also, Dublin Sports Clinic.

Went there, guy suggested I should see a neuro-spine doc (based on my feedback on the issue), went to SSC to a doctor spent 300 EUR on a 5 min review of the MRI and was told no such issues there.

Might try the pearse st place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

omri wrote: »
    Went there, guy suggested I should see a neuro-spine doc (based on my feedback on the issue), went to SSC to a doctor spent 300 EUR on a 5 min review of the MRI and was told no such issues there.

Might try the pearse st place.

To be fair, it's not an exact science. He went on your feedback, which they have to do to try and ascertain what the problem is and sometimes they might not feel it is something they can address or that if the issue is as it sounds, then it might be more prudent to get an MRI.

I went to the physio for a hip issue and they suggested getting a referral for an MRI. The GP couldn't figure out what it might be either. The MRI showed what it was and it was something fairly uncommon. So it can go both ways. I wouldn't hold it against a physio that didn't just stay taking your money for an issue they didn't think they could fix and suggested a scan.

To be fair, it's not an exact science. He went on your feedback, which they have to do to try and ascertain what the problem is and sometimes they might not feel it is something they can address or that if the issue is as it sounds, then it might be more prudent to get an MRI.

I went to the physio for a hip issue and they suggested getting a referral for an MRI. The GP couldn't figure out what it might be either. The MRI showed what it was and it was something fairly uncommon. So it can go both ways. I wouldn't hold it against a physio that didn't just stay taking your money for an issue they didn't think they could fix and suggested a scan.

I had an MRI done prior to that visit. Anyway let's hope I'll get more luck with the pearse st. physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Alot of spoofers out there...all they care about is getting you back for another 6 visits at 50euro+ a pop....

Also, they are "too good" to give a proper massage....its beneath them...

They just give you a few exercises you can find online yourself...

Definitely a lot of spoofers.

Most of them don't do massage because it's largely ineffective.

Majority of rehab progress comes from you doing exercises in your own time, which most people won't do. The fact they can be found on the internet is useless if you don't know which apply to your specific injury.

Hi, anyone can recommend a good physio?

https://www.instagram.com/physiokineticsdublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I can recommend someone, but she's in Navan if that's any good?

I could barely move when I went to her, she got me moving, gave me exercises to do at home, and then told me to join a gym, after a few more sessions said she couldn't do any more for me, I just needed to build up my strength so I could save money by using a personal trainer instead.

• Advertisement

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    I can recommend someone, but she's in Navan if that's any good?

I could barely move when I went to her, she got me moving, gave me exercises to do at home, and then told me to join a gym, after a few more sessions said she couldn't do any more for me, I just needed to build up my strength so I could save money by using a personal trainer instead.

You can PM the details if you want. I will try the ones recommended in Dublin before venturing outside. But thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Hi, anyone can recommend a good physio? My last few visits I got a feeling that physio goals are to make sure the visit doesn't run over the time limit. Also few different people had different opinions on the matter which just makes it all more confusing. So unless you're a part of say national rugby team etc. where physio goal is to make sure players are fit and ready in reality I think all these folks I went to were more concerned about churning the most amount of customers in a day. And so my issues with the back continue with the usual injuries that I pick up whenever I start training. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

"Functional Patterns" Dublin based in Donabate
    Absolutely the best in the business. The rest aren't even close imo..

Dublin Spine and Sports Physiotherapy in D8.

They really helped me out a couple of years back. I was on Anxicalm and Solpadol with back problems. I had 4 or 5 sessions and they told me to continue with daily exercises and come back if the problem persisted. No hard sell to keep coming back once I felt better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

That guy still around ?

Sent you a PM

Any opinions on the Functional Patterns ? Might give them a go once the virus calms down a bit.

Any opinions on the Functional Patterns ? Might give them a go once the virus calms down a bit.

Bro-science of the highest order. Get a referral for a qualified physio or physical therapist.

I can highly recommend them.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Bro-science of the highest order. Get a referral for a qualified physio or physical therapist.

Functional Patterns Dublin is run by a "qualified" physiotherapist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I found functional patterns via a post I had on here a few months ago you can probably see it on a page 3-4 or something...

Background on me raced up to ultra distance, adventure races/art O'Neill/moylagh 50 etc got injured got progressively worse over time, local physio no help, referred to santry two MRIs and a year in their sports medicine clinic where I was told "it's only a matter of ticking the box's" in rehab ..found myself unable to run cycle and at times walk without pain ....... fast forward to reaching out on boards asking for recommendations on something "alternative" 2 months later with the help of the lads in functional patterns I was back running, the pain is far less ,I'm not cured ,I'm still a work in progress ..but the local club training sessions are back, hill sprints etc and coaching .......the sessions are tailored from what I can see looking at the other people on the floor,not generic .....I have looked into the whole FP world and I was like wwwhhhaaaatttt the ......but the lads are focused on getting the injury sorted and from my experience with them it's a whole lot of positive definitely worth calling in

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Can I just say as a physio with a lot of experience, the most important thing is to find someone you click with. We work in a complex area with a lot of variables, but the clients that I get the best results with are ppl you have a really open and honest conversation with.
    There is always some new trend in healthcare for ppl to throw money at, but we know its the old reliable exercise and therapy that really works. Just find someone you can work with and do your homework!

• Advertisement
Advertisement