Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is there no digital leap card for digital wallets

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MOH wrote: »
    Given that one of their excuses for seat reservations frequently not working is data connection issues, would that not pose a similar issue for any such devices?
    If the wifi goes then so does the ability to check tickets?

Such devices/apps should be written in such a way that they download all ticket information to the device, so it can continue to work offline.

A days worth of ticket data could easily be stored in modern mobile devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you use a complex QR code you can encode enough data that you can be offline and still have confidence the ticket is valid

The German model requires photo ID

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

bk wrote: »
    Such devices/apps should be written in such a way that they download all ticket information to the device, so it can continue to work offline.

A days worth of ticket data could easily be stored in modern mobile devices.

In fairness the seat reservation system should be written in a way that works reliably.

I suspect though that when it comes to something that affects their revenues rather than customer convenience, Irish Rail will find a way of making it work every time.

Or else just find a way of fining the passenger if their ticket checking device fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭tandcapply

Resurrected this old thread.

Did anyone get any ETA on a digital leapcard recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,932 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That article should give you some updated information.

Government only approved the project in March of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭tandcapply

Thanks,so 2024 is best case scenario

In the meantime they have rolled out the TFI Go app which allows you buy single, 2 journey and 10 journey tickets on your phone for any Bus Éireann PSO route at LEAP prices, including towns and cities, GoAhead regional commuter routes, and are now expanding the ability to buy tickets across the Local Link network too.

It also allows you buy 24 hour and weekly tickets for use in the regional cities, and on the regional commuter routes into Dublin.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I hope they integrate it into the existing TFI app and don't start a new one.

The TFI Go App is already live.

I’ve edited my post to be clearer.

You can pay for all the services that I listed using the app on your mobile phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Used the app to get the 133 to Kilmacanogue the other week and it was very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭thomasj

there were a few times, including 1 in the last month , that ive stood on a crammed 39A at the ticket reader and as i would type on my phone it would set the ticket-reader off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What is used to read those tickets when someone gets on the bus? ( Do the existing Leap machines read phones?)

You activate the ticket on the phone and show it to the driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

It has a live timestamp and unique moving graphic, so that it doesn't look like a static image. The app also doesn't allow screenshots so you can't simply show a screenshot of a "ticket". (Photo below taken from Google)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not sure I'd be brave enough to try that with a monthly ticket: Galway has some lads driving who've barely learned how to use the existing ticket machines, I think a phone based ticket would push them over the edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PH0NER

Any updates to this? I find it strange that I can tap my Leap card to my iPhone to top-up, but I can’t skip the card and just use Apple Wallet to NFC tap on and off transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭antimatterx

it's painful. I've dropped my wallet more or less for my phone, but still have to remember my leap card.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Other than announcing contracts and tenders, when it comes to products going live NTA always take the soft launch approach. You might get an article slipped to the journal before anyone else picks up on it. But they aren't going to promote it until people are already using it for a week or two.

It won’t happen until 2025.

The entire backend operating system for PSO services ticketing is being rebuilt from scratch and that is a major job.

That’s not really true - they’ve soft launches if they do small pilot testing on one route for example, but when the “Big Bang” happens they do a big publicity launch. That is what I suspect they want to do here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You will certainly notice when they are getting ready to launch it, as it will require new validators to be installed on all buses, next to the old ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Everything they've released has been after soft launches, especially since the Golden Ticket issue. Even the changes to the portal for ordering Student, Child Personalised and Young Adult cards were live and in use, before they advertised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

On the topic of Leap Cards, I had to replace my card as the corner broke off and became unreadable. I ordered a new card, through my online account, which arrived within 3 days.

However, it's now been a full week since I tried to re-enable Auto Top-up. I'm still waiting for an activation code to arrive in my bank statement. How can it take a week, and counting, to lodge two cents into my account to confirm I own the nominated account?

Crazy!!....

Yeah, auto-topup is great once setup, however the setup is completely rubbish and having it take €30 every time is too much for many people.

10 days later, LeapCard finally managed to lodge 9 cents into my bank account, so I can confirm the Auto Top-up.

TEN DAYS 🤨

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

To be fair Easter would have delayed things by a few days. How many actual working days was it?

• Advertisement

6 working days. Totally fine then!?...

I think the point here is they clearly have no system in place. Why exactly do they need a special code sent to my bank account to confirm I own the bank account? In all my life, I've never had to do that anywhere else. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭D8 boy

The problem is that direct debits on a bank account are prone to fraud. It's a file-based system: the biller sends off all the DDs to their bank and later they are notified of payments which have failed.

There is nothing to prevent you entering an IBAN belonging to someone else. The first the biller knows about it when the payment is reversed after the real owner of the account contacts their own bank to dispute the payment. This can take up to 8 weeks.

If this happens to a utility company they have a lot of comeback: they will put your account into arrears, they can stop you moving suppliers, they can cut off your supply and they have a physical address which they supply which is useful if they want to take you to court. Similarly an insurance company can just void the policy. But providing credit for use on public transport is different. You could just register for DD using a bogus IBAN and travel around as you please. When the DD is reversed after the real owner of the account cops on and the Leap card is blocked, you just throw the card away and register a new account and new card with a different IBAN. To avoid this the NTA have implemented a process to send a code on a payment which you have to enter before the DD registration is completed. This means that if you enter an IBAN belonging to someone else you won't see the code and thus won't be able to complete the process.

The UK banks have a 'Confirmation of Payee' system where the account number and name on the mandate can be checked to ensure they match those held by the bank. This helps reduce fraud but the eurozone banks are only starting work on this.

More significantly, in many countries, like Germany, your credit score can be accessed by businesses like utilities and transport providers so they can decide to reject your direct debit mandate if you have a poor or non-existent credit history. If they do accept you but you then defraud them, the biller can notify the credit agency and, because in Germany you officially register at an address it's easy to track you down.

In Ireland however only lending institutions or yourself have access to your credit history. So the NTA has no idea if you are the completely legitimate holder of that bank account or you have defrauded every other company you ever set up a DD with. (I worked in a new telecoms provider a few years ago and up to 10% of our Direct Debits were reversed because the bank account owner wasn't the person who signed the mandate. Often the bank account owner was a charity whose IBAN had appeared on adverts looking for donations. It was very hard to take legal action in such cases: the proof of address was often forged and even when it wasn't the costs of taking legal proceeding outweighed the few hundred euros typically racked up).

For this reason some companies such as NOW TV and GoMo will only take recurring payments on a debit or credit card. The transaction costs are higher but the systems are completely online and the advent of things like the CV2 code and 3D secure have made fraud harder. I guess the NTA have decided that SEPA DDs are cheaper and they've put that system with a code in place to verify that the you have access to the account you have put on the mandate. Because it's a file-based system it takes a few days, though not 6 !

It's an Irish solution to an Irish problem.

Advertisement