Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses

Options
  • 07-10-2006 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭

What do ye all think??

Milking Chinese Democracy to the balls?
    Living on something that's long gone?
    Still very good?
    Nothing without Slash?

Well? What's the verdict?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The current band preforming under that title is not really guns and roses.
    G'N'F'R ended when Izzy left during the Illusions tour.

What is currently being touted is Axl and His ego and not even as good as a tribute band.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Thaedydal wrote:
    The current band preforming under that title is not really guns and roses.
    G'N'F'R ended when Izzy left during the Illusions tour.

What is currently being touted is Axl and His ego and not even as good as a tribute band.

No it ended when Steven "The Legend" Adler was fired. ****ing Matt Sorum...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

never been a huge fan. i'd be the "greatest hits" guy at a gig, not knowing what the "other" songs are... but the people i know who saw them over the summer said it was fantastic, and they sounded great.

as for chinese democracy... the album would want to be the greatest rock album of all time for the amount of money it cost, and the amount of time put into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Giblet wrote:

pff how can you compare the creative talents of Izzy to those of Adler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Giblet wrote:
    In all fairness Matt Sorum was still a good drummer. It all went downhill after Adler left but for me GNR ended when Slash and Duff left. Now i see it as Axl's solo project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

as a completely different entity to the former GNR this band has some potential, but only as an Axl Rose band type act. its only because axl has more money and better lawyers that hes using the name. adler was never a favourite of mine, but izzy did comment that he was influential to the bands sound and his departure was the first step towards 'the end'

on another slight off point, izzy played here with his solo band in 1992, shortly after GNR played Slane. was anyone present? anyone know if he mentioned GNR or he was the backtalking type? if i remember correctly axl used to dedicate 'Double Talkin Jive' to Izzy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Izzy plays with GNR on 3/4 songs at most live shows.

Chinese Democracy has been practically confirmed to be released before Christmas(Management have said in an email to GNR fans last week that "There are only 11 Tuesdays left until Christmas"(Albums come out on Tuesdays in the US, and there's 10 left now)). Rolling Stone is saying November 21st, but it's not definate. It's most likely to be the 14th, 21st or 28th of November though.

As for the quality of the new band, I think they are pretty good. Anyone who has heard the demo of There Was a Time or The Blues live will know that there's definately something to be excited about, even if some of the new songs which have been leaked(like IRS) aren't great.

Qualitywise I expect Chinese Democracy to be as good as the Illusions.

They cover the old stuff rather excellently as well, although their shows are a bit predictable and always seem to stop for an annoying guitar solo just when they're gaining momentum.

IMO this is one of the greatest live versions of Nightrain ever. As good as the Illusions tour? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfABIMXpac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

its only because axl has more money and better lawyers that hes using the name.
    they signed the name over to him during the use you illusion tour thats why he is using it. Nothing to do with better lawyers and more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Giblet wrote:
    Spot on. The real GNR (i.e. the legends that recorded Appetite) died when Adler was fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

To be honest, I though Appetite was their best album, after that they did nothing for me. Civil war was about their best tune after that. GNR died after Appetite for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

Slash and Axl were pure legend together. Not the same not being able to see them play together anymore. Would be great to see original Appetite line up play again. Won't happen though. Waiting so long for a new album is ridiculous, when so many other great bands continue to release new albums without any crap, and just get on with it. I had the pleasure to see GnR in Slane in '92 (best day of my life). Also saw them at Donington this year. Their set was a bit of a mess, though some potentially great new songs were heard. Axl's voice is great at the moment, unlike in '93,'94, when all he could do was croak!
    If they had taken the best tunes from Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 back in the day and just released one album, it would have been one great set of songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Nightrain

Well as Izzy said, guns went from a rock band to a metal band when matt joined. Even Slash and duff have since admitted that firing ole popcorn was a mistake.

r3nu4l wrote:
    To be honest, I though Appetite was their best album, after that they did nothing for me. Civil war was about their best tune after that. GNR died after Appetite for me :)
    No thought needed,it was their best album.
    But the illusion albums were good i have to say,although my world should have been left off it,but sure no point complaining about it now.just my view.

Lucifer31 wrote:
    Their set was a bit of a mess, though some potentially great new songs were heard. Axl's voice is great at the moment, unlike in '93,'94, when all he could do was croak!

I have to agree on this one, as I saw them in Wembley and then before that in Dublin this year. I think the reason Axl's voice croaked in 93 was because he had been on the road far too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think GnR is jyust another one of those bands that peaked way too early and just got too big for their boots. Axl is just flogging a dead horse now, how many times was this album supposed to be released, I'm hearing about it for around 3 or 4 years now. It's going to need to be a stormer to live up to the hype around it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

as a completely different entity to the former GNR this band has some potential, but only as an Axl Rose band type act. its only because axl has more money and better lawyers that hes using the name. adler was never a favourite of mine, but izzy did comment that he was influential to the bands sound and his departure was the first step towards 'the end'

on another slight off point, izzy played here with his solo band in 1992, shortly after GNR played Slane. was anyone present? anyone know if he mentioned GNR or he was the backtalking type? if i remember correctly axl used to dedicate 'Double Talkin Jive' to Izzy?

In fairness, Izzy is the only one who never really backtalked about other members, and certainly never talked about them at his gigs. He's kinda stayed out of all the rows and is the only one who seems friendly with all the old members of the band, having played with Velvet Revolver, NewGnR, and (I think) Adler's Appetite.

Axl dedicated DTJ to Izzy once, saying "Izzy musta wrote this song about himself." Can't remember what gig, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Nightrain wrote:
    No thought needed,it was their best album.
    But the illusion albums were good i have to say,although my world should have been left off it,but sure no point complaining about it now.just my view.

I seem to be the only one on this planet who prefers the Use Your Illusion albums. They are my two favourite albums of all time. Appetite's great, but all the songs are sorta similiar. The sheer variety on UYI is amazing. Coma and Estranged are two of the best songs ever, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

JC 2K3 wrote:
    IMO this is one of the greatest live versions of Nightrain ever. As good as the Illusions tour? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfABIMXpac

His voice is top notch, not a hard song to play though, I could do a better job myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I HOPE the f**kin thing will be out before the end of the year!!!??? Axl has turned GnR into a bigger soap opera than they were 10-15 years ago!!!?? That said, IRS & Better are two VERY good songs!!! Hope the rest of the album lives up to all the hype/expectations???

Giblet wrote:
    His voice is top notch, not a hard song to play though, I could do a better job myself ;)

for some songs it is alright.but certain songs this time round.YCBM he cant sing very well at all from the clips i have seem. But that was hard enough in the day,but now he runs out of breath more than before. And the part of YCBM were it gets fast, he just doesnt seem to be able to handle it.

• Advertisement

For songs like Nightrain, Rocket Queen, My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me etc. he does a fantastic job these days.

However, he hasn't been able to sing SCOM live properly since the 80s, YCBM live was never 100% voicewise, but I think I prefer '92. Paradise City isn't great these days and November Rain is lacking somewhat.

The Blues is great new song he sings great live, TWAT is a great new song he sang pretty badly in Madrid and hasn't played it since.

I'm happy with the New GNR for what they are and Chinese Democracy should be a good album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

As I said before, I hope to f**k it's a good album!!!??

Think of this though: Axl ain't gonna release an album if hei's not 100% happy with it first!!!???

BTW, I think I've found the whole album on eMule??? I'll let ye know what it's like when I've downloaded & listened to it;-)!

Roll on November 21st(if this IS the official release date)!?

JC 2K3 wrote:
    For songs like Nightrain, Rocket Queen, My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me etc. he does a fantastic job these days.

However, he hasn't been able to sing SCOM live properly since the 80s, YCBM live was never 100% voicewise, but I think I prefer '92. Paradise City isn't great these days and November Rain is lacking somewhat.

The Blues is great new song he sings great live, TWAT is a great new song he sang pretty badly in Madrid and hasn't played it since.

I'm happy with the New GNR for what they are and Chinese Democracy should be a good album.

Well SCOM seems to be fine now from the audio i have heard,considering the power he has lost over the years of not singing. NR is good to be fair,the fact he's sitting at the piano for the song helps as he doesnt lose his breath. What exactly is it lacking ?

I don't like his singing on SCOM at all these days, and NR is very good, probably shouldn't have mentioned it as an example, but it just lacks something it had back in '92.
    BTW, I think I've found the whole album on eMule??? I'll let ye know what it's like when I've downloaded & listened to it;-)!
    lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Chinese Democracy is the Duke Nukem 4 of the rock music world... ;)

They're not a very good band, never really liked them, can appreciate some of the music, but having a knob like Axl in any band is just going to ruin it.

It's not fair to call the current line-up G'n'R anyway, it's just cash-in for Alx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

Does anyone know that G N' R played a gig in Keady, Co. Armagh when they were at the height of their fame?

well they did..

Keady is a tiny little town and Guns' tour manager was getting married to a girl from there. G N' R flew over for the reception and had big articulated trucks block off all entry to the town centre where they played the square.

Kharn wrote:
    The Chinese Democracy is the Duke Nukem 4 of the rock music world... ;)

They're not a very good band, never really liked them, can appreciate some of the music, but having a knob like Axl in any band is just going to ruin it.

It's not fair to call the current line-up G'n'R anyway, it's just cash-in for Alx.
    Music is about music, not band members' personalies. Slash was as much of an asshole as Axl.

And while it isn't really fair to use the GNR name it's not a caash in for Axl. I bet you haven't even heard the leaks.

Does anyone know that G N' R played a gig in Keady, Co. Armagh when they were at the height of their fame?

well they did..

Keady is a tiny little town and Guns' tour manager was getting married to a girl from there. G N' R flew over for the reception and had big articulated trucks block off all entry to the town centre where they played the square.

Youve got to be kidding, can anyone else back this up?

I mean, this is Alan Niven we're talking about?

Why has nobody ever posted this anywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

I'm on the fence on this lot TBH. Some of the 2002 era bootlegs of songs such as 'The Blues' and another class track 'Rhiad and The Bedouins' sound fantastic. However, I can't say the same for 'T.W.A.T', which is real rocker playing with Cubasis stuff IMHO. I think Axl is a good songwriter but my biggest fear for the new album is that songs like The Blues and Madagascar will get the OTT Meat Loaf treatment a la November Rain (lets face it only the end bit is good LOL). I definitely don't regard GNR as rocks great white hope the way I did 3 years ago, but am hopeful the album will be good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

what the hell i thought they WERE a tribute band?!

Advertisement