Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 juanito171

Hi all,

So the story is that I’m elegible and FTTC broadband is available to me, however Eir are not offering broadband to me as their computer doesn’t recognise that I can avail of it, so I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get Eir to do the installation of broadband as I know all is right on my side.

Thanks,

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Have you considered dealing with an ISP that wants your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

juanito171 wrote: »

So the story is that I’m elegible and FTTC broadband is available to me

Thanks,
    The Boards.ie Explainer: FTTH and You

You're off topic now, start your own thread.

Hi, this might be a silly question for the experts but I'm having a hard time finding an answer. :o

I have the FTTC broadband, Vodafone provider, 1GB, tv included, all working fine. Contract is up soon and I want to switch to Sky.

So if I go with the Sky 100mb/s package how does that speed downgrade work?

If the cables that are coming in are now bringing 1GB how does a new provider drop the power down to 100mb?

Do they really have some switch somewhere that can reduce the speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Hi, this might be a silly question for the experts but I'm having a hard time finding an answer. :o

I have the FTTC broadband, Vodafone provider, 1GB, tv included, all working fine. Contract is up soon and I want to switch to Sky.

So if I go with the Sky 100mb/s package how does that speed downgrade work?

If the cables that are coming in are now bringing 1GB how does a new provider drop the power down to 100mb?

Do they really have some switch somewhere that can reduce the speed?

If you’re getting 1Gb download speed then you’re on ftth, sky will be able to give you 1Gb speed too.

• Advertisement

CoBo55 wrote: »
    If you’re getting 1Gb download speed then you’re on ftth, sky will be able to give you 1Gb speed too.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. They do have a 1Gb package but it's more expensive. I'm mainly just asking about the technical process of it. How does a provider turn your speed down to 100mb/s if you have the infrastructure for 1Gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Thanks for the response, much appreciated. They do have a 1Gb package but it's more expensive. I'm mainly just asking about the technical process of it. How does a provider turn your speed down to 100mb/s if you have the infrastructure for 1Gb?

100mb and 1Gb come into house on different lines. 100MB is a phone line. 1GB is fiber optic cable. They dont dial down 1gb to 100mb.

mcbert wrote: »
    100mb and 1Gb come into house on different lines. 100MB is a phone line. 1GB is fiber optic cable. They dont dial down 1gb to 100mb.

So is it the case that any provider using the fiber optic cable coming into the house can't dial back the speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So is it the case that any provider using the fiber optic cable coming into the house can't dial back the speed?

course they can

most offer 150/500/1000

Cyrus wrote: »
    course they can

most offer 150/500/1000

So how do they alter it? Manually from the outside connection or can they actually control it through software?

• Advertisement

So how do they alter it? Manually from the outside connection or can they actually control it through software?

software i would imagine.

ISP sends a command to OpenEir/SIRO and seconds or minutes later the OLT will apply the fresh limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

Quick question as I can't find it anywhere on boards, can you use a set of powerline adapters between the ONT/OLP & your Sky router.

Basically the ONT/OLP is going to be installed in a corner of the house, where the meter cabinet is and I'd like the router to be positioned more towards the centre of the house to give better coverage.

I have a set of TP-LINK AV1000 Gigabit Powerline adaptors and am going for the 500MB FTTH package once the Actavo civils team turn up to unblock my duct.

If you can do this, would there be much impact on the overall speed by not plugging directly into the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Downsey77 wrote: »
    Quick question as I can't find it anywhere on boards, can you use a set of powerline adapters between the ONT/OLP & your Sky router.

Basically the ONT/OLP is going to be installed in a corner of the house, where the meter cabinet is and I'd like the router to be positioned more towards the centre of the house to give better coverage.

I have a set of TP-LINK AV1000 Gigabit Powerline adaptors and am going for the 500MB FTTH package once the Actavo civils team turn up to unblock my duct.

If you can do this, would there be much impact on the overall speed by not plugging directly into the router?

I did it with Vodafone SIRO (temporarily while some renovations were going on) so it should be possible.

Definitely likely to lose speed on a 500Mb package, I wasn't able to test wired at the time but over Wifi dont think I did much better over wifi from phone to router than 110-130 vs 400-500 (occasionally 600) using ethernet connection from ONT to router.

With the variability of powerline you may do a bit better or much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

We have fibre to the home installed for the last year here and have been getting 250mbs regularly for the past year. In the last few weeks the speed has dropped to around 20mbs in the evening, from 9:30 onwards approx. I was under the impression that the fibre lines offered uncongested speeds which wouldnt drop. Is it possible that other people on the line streaming, or watching netflix etc are reducing my speeds, or is the ISP dropping it on me intentionally. I know i should ring them, but i hate making any contact with ISPs. Cheers folks

Salmon wrote: »
    We have fibre to the home installed for the last year here and have been getting 250mbs regularly for the past year. In the last few weeks the speed has dropped to around 20mbs in the evening, from 9:30 onwards approx. I was under the impression that the fibre lines offered uncongested speeds which wouldnt drop. Is it possible that other people on the line streaming, or watching netflix etc are reducing my speeds, or is the ISP dropping it on me intentionally. I know i should ring them, but i hate making any contact with ISPs. Cheers folks

WiFi or wired.

Cyrus wrote: »
    WiFi or wired.

It's wired to the router and sent via WiFi after that. It's a direct fibre cable from the cabinet so no copper involved.

It's wired to the router and sent via WiFi after that. It's a direct fibre cable from the cabinet so no copper involved.

No what I mean is the drop in speeds are you seeing that on a wired device or a device connected vis WiFi ?

It’s more likely a WiFi issue than an actual drop in speed

Sorry, its on a wifi connection to phones and laptops. Any idea what i might check to improve the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Sorry, its on a wifi connection to phones and laptops. Any idea what i might check to improve the situation?

Try using a WiFi sniffer program like vistumbler to see what channels are around you, then manually select a channel furthest away from the surrounding ones.

• Advertisement

well first thing id do is check a wired connection at the same time see if its an isp problem or if its a wifi problem, its more likely a wifi problem.

do you split the 2.4g and the 5g bands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Hi Folks,

Very useful thread! Im getting FTTH installed (open eir) via Pure on Thursday, I bought a few months back a nice Asus Wifi 6 Router (RT-AX86U) with a bit of power to it... as ive been on VDSL I have been stuck using it connected to the sky modem (moving providers naturally).. If I understand things correctly I dont need to use the Fritzbox modem which just arrived from Pure at all and can just plug straight into the ONT once its in?

Am I right?

Do I need to enter any login info for it to work?

Do I need to enter any login info for it to work?

You will. First set VLAN 10 on WAN, then enter the creds. What they are I do not know.

ED E wrote: »
    You will. First set VLAN 10 on WAN, then enter the creds. What they are I do not know.

Thanks wonder if its the same as VDSL was as found that in old thread here:
    Username: puretelecom@puretel.ie
    Password: broadband1

Actually see no options for VLAN on my router does that mean im done for? Router ISP settings page screenshot attached

From the web GUI, go to Advanced Settings > LAN > IPTV tab.

^ Try that.

Also those creds are probably right.

Actually on the VLAN I found an article that says you can use the IPTV settings on the route to config VLAN.

EDIT: We overlapped!

Is it PPPoE Authentication settings or what?

For the record Pure Telcom came back and confirmed settings in case anyone else ever needs:

Encapsulation: PPPoe

username: puretelecom@puretel.ie

password: broadband1

Vlan ID: 10

Thanks for the help ED E!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Antonius.Prime

fionny wrote: »
    For the record Pure Telcom came back and confirmed settings in case anyone else ever needs:

Encapsulation: PPPoe

username: puretelecom@puretel.ie

password: broadband1

Vlan ID: 10

Thanks for the help ED E!
    I'll be hopefully using these in a few days!

Anyone had any experience with the TP-Link AX50?
    Thinking of swapping out the Fritzbox 7530 we got from Pure back in October for this.

The Fritz is a decent piece of hardware, but the urban ish area I'm in in Cork has way too many competing networks to keep up.
    I already have 2 sets of Powerline extenders for the low speed stuff in the house that can be wired, hoping that the "extra" power of the AX50 would mean I could get away without adding a third...

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Recently I moved to a house with FTTH, I ordered eir 1gb, but I am getting 50 - 70 mbps, measured by a laptop connected with ethernet cable to the router, I phoned eir costumer service, they said it is the contention in my area, that doesn't to seem to be true as the same speed at 6 am and 9 pm
    In fairness 50 mbps is enough for anything but I don't like false advertising
    Anything can I do about this ?

10886615411.png

• Advertisement

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Recently I moved to a house with FTTH, I ordered eir 1gb, but I am getting 50 - 70 mbps, measured by a laptop connected with ethernet cable to the router, I phoned eir costumer service, they said it is the contention in my area, that doesn't to seem to be true as the same speed at 6 am and 9 pm
    In fairness 50 mbps is enough for anything but I don't like false advertising
    Anything can I do about this ?

10886615411.png

I’d call again you obviously got the village idiot , if you have ftth you get the advertised speeds in the main, that’s so far off that there is something clearly wrong .

Have you tried other devices to be sure it’s not an issue with the laptop ?

Advertisement