Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,795 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm not a fan of RTS games which it would be closest to, but I liked the first one. So need to play 2 and 3. They do make you feel like a monster when you sacrifice the Pikmin and see their souls floating away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Star Lord wrote: »
    Wonder what they've done to make it 'Deluxe', as it looks like a direct port.

Well they've taken the original off the WiiU eShop so its extra deluxe now. Didn't they have Pikmin 4 finished a few years ago?
    Nintendo stays farting out full price ports and I'd love to know whats up with their first party studios the last few years.

Miyamoto said Pikmin 4 was close to completion 5 years ago....jesus

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-20-pikmin-4-in-development-and-very-close-to-completion

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Nostalgia still keeps the lights on for Nintendo it's just a pity these DX games come in at such inflated prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I played this a lot on Wii U and bought all the DLC. Great little game.
    Hope its not €60 as I will probably buy it just to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Nostalgia still keeps the lights on for Nintendo it's just a pity these DX games come in at such inflated prices.

Nostalgia, as well as all the excellent new 1st party games over the last few years.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Well they've taken the original off the WiiU eShop

I know this news won't have an impact on many people but it's still a ****ty move on Nintendo's part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Just as well I bought Pikmin 3 Wii U physical. It's still in its plastic mind you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Just looking at the eShop listing for Pikmin 3 deluxe.
    Its €60 and says it supports the Pro controller.

Doesn't the Switch have Wiimote style functionality in one of the joycons? The eShop listing suggests it's gamepad or joycons only, with no mention of motion controls.
    I'm not as much a fan of Pikmin 1&2 controls, and was expecting similar controls to the original Pikmin 3.

Maybe its an oversight on the eShop listing. Will be looking closely for gameplay videos..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just watched a preview for a game called Phoenotopia on SwitchUp.
    Out on August 20th (Thursday week) for €19.99 and it really looks superb.
    This is definitely my kind of game.

Based on the preview, it's a bit of a mashup of some Zelda games including Zelda II (NES), Hollow Knight and a few bits of Dark Souls thrown in for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

https://youtu.be/R6PXlvEtNKc

Has anyone mentioned this game? Just got released today and looks fantastic. Boomerang Fu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

A new Zelda game is coming to Switch, and it's not Breath of the Wild 2

Amazon leaks Skyward Sword port for Switch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sweet, always wanted to play skyward sword but HATED the wii controllers with a passion so couldn't get into it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Nal wrote: »
    A new Zelda game is coming to Switch, and it's not Breath of the Wild 2

Amazon leaks Skyward Sword port for Switch

*could* be.

It was always likely, and I would love to actually get a version of this to play. I could not enjoy it with the motion controls, and from what I hear, it didn't get much better. If they fixed a lot of the issues, akin to what they did with parts of Wind Waker HD, then this could be one to watch. I know the joycons are better than the Wiimotes, but I really hope they don't go full motion and limit this to non-Lites.

Plus they need to announce it with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Would be actually shocked if Skyward Sword made the jump from Wii. Can't begin to fathom the nightmare it would be to re-do the controls considering, well, everything. Even if that hurdle is miraculously cleared, it's still bloody Skyward Sword. I found it to be a damn dull game irrespective of how I'm inputting commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I think I may be one of the only people out there who liked Skyward Sword. Controls didn't bother me and the areas with the localised time crystals were brilliant. Mind you , it has been some time.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Re: motion controls, the Switch has tilt sensors in it both in handheld and on your main TV, so they could be implemented to some degree, though I would be quite happy to abandon them entirely.
    While I am not a dedicated finisher of LoZ titles, I do get pretty far into most of them, but Skyward is probably the LoZ I have played and enjoyed the least of the entire series, aside from LoZ2 on my NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Xofpod wrote: »
    I think I may be one of the only people out there who liked Skyward Sword. Controls didn't bother me and the areas with the localised time crystals were brilliant. Mind you , it has been some time.....

Nah, I really enjoyed it too, felt like there were loads of references back to earlier games too, which was nice! Think it'll either be a slight HD rerelease, using joycon motion controls (as the Wii version used the gyros and not the IR sensor) rather than the remake that would be necessary to somehow work the various angled attacks that were required against the enemies that you faced.

Saw a post on Reddit imagining a mini-master sword that you could clip the joy-con into... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like the follow-up to the most excellent Golf Story has been delayed; if you haven't played it it's a traditional 16bit style RPG - with Golf. Sounds weird but it actually works brilliantly. Was looking forward to the sequel but hey ho...

https://twitter.com/sidebargames/status/1295355477195292672

The Switch could do with a big release but nothing is on the horizon really.

glasso wrote: »
    The Switch could do with a big release but nothing is on the horizon really.

I can't find one game to look forward too. They're all either little indie platformers or re-releases from other consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I can't find one game to look forward too. They're all either little indie platformers or re-releases from other consoles.

This is what's striking me, Nintendo don't seem to have anything planned for Christmas to at least try and counter the 2 new consoles being released. Even a bundle of old Mario games would be something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not to trot out the usual response, but presumably CoVid had a big say with any 1st party titles that were gestating. Small, bunker-like indie teams were always better placed to adapt to remote working or whatever, being as they're usually a lot more agile environments. Heck, given Nintendo's often obtuse approach to networking solutions, who knows if their dev teams even COULD go remote once the axe fell in Japan.

This is what's striking me, Nintendo don't seem to have anything planned for Christmas to at least try and counter the 2 new consoles being released. Even a bundle of old Mario games would be something.

After the initial releases of BOTW, Odyssey, Mariokart etc I haven't seen anything appealing. When they're pushing The Origami King you know they're in trouble. Its a game port console now. Great for young kids. Thats about it.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Not to trot out the usual response, but presumably CoVid had a big say with any 1st party titles that were gestating. Small, bunker-like indie teams were always better placed to adapt to remote working or whatever, being as they're usually a lot more agile environments. Heck, given Nintendo's often obtuse approach to networking solutions, who knows if their dev teams even COULD go remote once the axe fell in Japan.

Yeah I hope you're right. Maybe we'll see more 1st party titles coming in 2021 because its grim at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

When they're pushing The Origami King you know they're in trouble.

... How do you figure this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm in the same boat. Switch is mostly getting booted up for multiplayer with mates these days. This is the first time in over 3 years Nintendo is not the place where I game most.
    Hoping 2021 is a better year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

After the initial releases of BOTW, Odyssey, Mariokart etc I haven't seen anything appealing. When they're pushing The Origami King you know they're in trouble. Its a game port console now. Great for young kids. Thats about it.

That's just it though, you haven't seen anything appealing, the sales charts would suggest that lots of other paying punters have seen quite a bit that appeals to them.
    No doubt though, quality 1st party titles are thin on the ground, but certainly Origami King is a very good game indeed, not on the scale perhaps of BotW and Odyssey, but still a AAA title regardless and deserved all the marketing push it has gotten.
    But, a console for kids, it's a console that appeals to children yes, it's a console that hosts a lot of content that parents can be comfortable with their children playing, absolutely, but none of that means that it's content is just for kids, young ones or otherwise.

"family friendly" doesn't mean Kids First. It just means ... well, family friendly so you get a more pronounced scaling of content. This is a weird complaint anyway; many a console has died a quick death because it lacked or lost 3rd party support. 1st party titles might be headline items but it's the slew of games made by other studios that make or break the success of any machine. On that front I don't see any indication that Switch is suffering? Sales of the hardware and games seems solid. Sure, I suspect once the new generation of PS / Xbox comes out the console might start to struggle with AAA releases, but TBH I never got the sense that was its core strength. Its indie line-up remains pretty great too.

if you're not an animal crossing head the switch has had a mediocore / nondescript 2020

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/switch/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2020

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

glasso wrote: »
    if you're not an animal crossing head the switch has had a mediocore / nondescript 2020

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/switch/filtered?sort=desc&year_selected=2020

I wasn't an animal crossing head, I certainly became one though. Along with my 2 daughters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Funny, I was only thinking the other day, it feels like way longer than usual since a Zelda/Mario/new console. (Hence my current replaying of BOTW)

Although Skyward Sword would certainly scratch that itch. Loved that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

My main hope to 2020 is No More Heroes 3, but at this point with no release date announced a delay seems likely.

Advertisement