Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for somewhere to learn German?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Hello there.
    I am German and teaching German too in Sligo and area! So anyone who is interested can pm me.. I give you more details then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ocid

Hi there, I am a native German living in Galway. I have a Ba Hons in German languange & literature, and have been giving grinds for a while, and would be very interested in giving more conversation orientated German classes. So if you're in the Galway area and interested, pm me for more details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Sorry, I know I'm kinda repeating the general idea of this thread, but I just wanted to ask a few questions...

I'm nearly finished my leaving cert, and I would love to learn german. I did french for the last 6 years, but in the same way as irish, I reall didn't like the way it was taught. Instead of learning to talk about stuff like social problems and all that rubbish, I'd like to learn how to actually speak the actual language naturally. I'm very jealous of my girlfriend who is half german and speaks it fluently! :P Therefore, I would like to know of a course I could do, preferably myself, that would help me speak the language naturally and in an everday context.

Would the linguaphone or the Michel Thomas CDs provide for this? I'd rather not go to a class because I won't have that much money because of college, plus I'll also be able to practise on my gf :D

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Jay P wrote: »
    Sorry, I know I'm kinda repeating the general idea of this thread, but I just wanted to ask a few questions...

I'm nearly finished my leaving cert, and I would love to learn german. I did french for the last 6 years, but in the same way as irish, I reall didn't like the way it was taught. Instead of learning to talk about stuff like social problems and all that rubbish, I'd like to learn how to actually speak the actual language naturally. I'm very jealous of my girlfriend who is half german and speaks it fluently! :P Therefore, I would like to know of a course I could do, preferably myself, that would help me speak the language naturally and in an everday context.

Would the linguaphone or the Michel Thomas CDs provide for this? I'd rather not go to a class because I won't have that much money because of college, plus I'll also be able to practise on my gf :D

Thanks in advance

What are you planning on studying in college? Depending on the college, you may be able to do Ab-initio German as an optional module. That should give you a basic grounding and after that, it's up to yourself to put in the effort (eg. getting your girlfriend to only speak in German to you for a few hours a week). Trying to learn a language from CDs etc just doesn't work imho. Once you have a basic grounding, I'd recommend doing a 3 week or however long summer course in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

An Citeog wrote: »
    What are you planning on studying in college? Depending on the college, you may be able to do Ab-initio German as an optional module. That should give you a basic grounding and after that, it's up to yourself to put in the effort (eg. getting your girlfriend to only speak in German to you for a few hours a week). Trying to learn a language from CDs etc just doesn't work imho. Once you have a basic grounding, I'd recommend doing a 3 week or however long summer course in Germany.

Maths in Cork... Not exactly an option to do german unfortunately! :p I'll prolly join the german society as well hopefull... Yeah a course in Germany would be cool...I dunno how financially viable it would be in the foreseeable future...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Has anyone experience with Rosetta Stone or Rocket??? Would appreciate any feedback before I invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

i am teaching german if anyone is interested. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I've a degree in German and lived over there for a year, so I suppose my standard would have been very good at one point. However, I haven't needed it professionally or personally in years und leider habe ich so viel vergessen :(

So in order to keep my German up to date, I recently started to subscribe to a couple of vodcasts from ProSieben.de and I've been surprised by how much I've been able to understand. :)
    I subscribe to Galileo (popular science show) and Quatsch Comedy Club (good for speaker speed and slang, and some comedians often throw in a few English words anyway) from ProSieben.

I used to subscribe to Deutsche Welle News, but that is actually more suited to beginners. They make sure to read it very slowly so you won't get stranded. I'd definitely recommend checking out podcasts/vodcasts for language learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annehynes

Hey,
    anyone from Co. Louth/Dundalk area wanting to learn German, I'm giving German grinds all levels and teach German to any age, any level. I'm a native German, living in Ireland 9 years. Classes are fun and all my students got thru their German LC or JC so far. Prices are reasonable and the emphasis is on talking German and getting confidence in speaking it and some grammar of course.
    Ring/text or leave message for me, Anna, 0879051845

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Anybody teaching spoken German in North Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭morninwood

hi peeps,

living in dublin for 6 years now and missing using my language. anyone here who wants to learn/improve their german and won't dish out money for a paid course is welcome to pm me and we can meet up for a chat. i'm very patient and well used to teaching german as my mom is polish and she always needed a bit of help and tuition :D

take care,
    dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Junge_Frau_2009

Hi there folks! I am fairly ok at the ol' Deutsch, however I have made up my mind and I want to go to Germany during the summer for 1 month to brush-up my fluency. Does anyone know of a course that I could do over there, or even a summer camp that I could work in while there? Would love some help... Bis spater!

Advertisement