Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for somewhere to learn German?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Daniel-MD

Hello,

I'll stay here in Dublin until the end of February and writing my PhD in mechnical engineering. Afterwards I'll go back to Germany. So if anybody wants to lern or to perfect his or here german, this can be arranged. My english is not perfect und may also need some improvements. :)
    So if you are interested in talking and maybe drinking a pint, let it me know :) I'm looking forward ... :D

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

It actually seems like we have a lack of good courses for those trying to learn German who lack the funds for the Goethe Institute course. Shame. I'm going to be starting German through an Oxford language pack and with the help of German friends. Pity on the courses though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 schubi

Hallo zusammen,

vielleicht findet sich ja online irgendein "Open-Source" Kurs, den wir hier empfehlen und mit Rat und Tipps unterstuetzen koennen?

Hi all,

perhaps there's an online course out there thats "open source" which we can recommend and support with advice and hints.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

hey im 20, soon to be 21, was too dumb to take the oppurtunity school gave me learn a language including irish, and well in my job german would be beneficial when im overseas and besides i just want to learn a foreign language!!! I cant sign up for expensive courses, im in a course at the moment!! any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

newby.204 wrote:
    hey im 20, soon to be 21, was too dumb to take the oppurtunity school gave me learn a language including irish, and well in my job german would be beneficial when im overseas and besides i just want to learn a foreign language!!! I cant sign up for expensive courses, im in a course at the moment!! any advice?

Hi there,

first of all let me say it's nice to see some people interested in our language ;)

As for the courses I think it depends where you are located. There are some courses in Dublin and Counties, a good selection is on offer at the Goethe Institute in Dublin (full courses as well as two weeks summer courses) but they cost you a bit. Some of the community colleges/adult education centres offer evening courses once a week (there's one running in Bray) for a fee. If you want to start learning before going on a course I would recommend to get one of those CD-ROM courses with text books. Linguaphone is one of them but there are others as well.

There are two books out on night-time courses/part-time courses in Dublin (I think one covers the whole of Ireland) which you can find at Eason's.

Best,
    Preusse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭mackerski

Preusse wrote:
    If you want to start learning before going on a course I would recommend to get one of those CD-ROM courses with text books. Linguaphone is one of them but there are others as well.

If you're tempted to go for Linguaphone, make sure to research it well. I bought their book plus audio CD course a number of years ago and wasn't impressed. The material was, if not actually out of date, then certainly very olde-worlde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Preusse wrote:
    Hi there,

first of all let me say it's nice to see some people interested in our language ;)

Ich finde das total ironisch. Ihr wollt doch euere Sprache zu uns verkaufen! Deutsch wird doch immer ähnlicher zu Englisch. Das Airport(der Flughafen). Die Kamera(der Fotoappart). konsumieren(verbrauchen). Das ist korrekt(Das stimmt). Was kommt nächste für die Sprache?:D

Wie die Deutsche, die ich kenne, mir gesagt haben ,,Englisch ist viel cooler als Deutsch zu lernen. Deutsch ist nicht so wichtig heutzutage".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

E92 wrote:
    Ich finde das total ironisch. Ihr wollt doch euere Sprache zu uns verkaufen! Deutsch wird doch immer ähnlicher zu Englisch. Das Airport(der Flughafen). Die Kamera(der Fotoappart). konsumieren(verbrauchen). Das ist korrekt(Das stimmt). Was kommt nächste für die Sprache?:D

Wie die Deutsche, die ich kenne, mir gesagt haben ,,Englisch ist viel cooler als Deutsch zu lernen. Deutsch ist nicht so wichtig heutzutage".

Hallo E92,

es stimmt sicherlich, dass es zu viele Anglizismen in der deutschen Sprache heutzutage gibt. Vielen Puristen geht das auch ziemlich gegen den Strich!

Aber die von dir angegebenen Beispiele (ausser Airport) wuerde ich nicht als solche sehen. Es liegt wohl eher daran, dass sie einen sprachgeschichtlichen Zusammenhang haben. Korrekt, konsumieren , etc. wurde ja nicht nur neuerdings im deutschen Sprachgebrauch benutzt. Desweiteren sind die Wurzeln des Englischen ja auch im Deutschen zu finden. Sowie andere Einfluesse, z. B. Franzoesisch in beiden Sprachen enthalten sind. Eine der groessten Beeinflussungen wird sicherlich auch die lateinische Sprache sein und dass dann Wortgleichheiten in verschiedenen Sprachen auftreten ist ganz natuerlich.

Gruss,
    Preusse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Alles klar Preuße. Normallerweise sagen die Jugendliche die "Englische" wörter auf Deutsch, oder? Meistens hab ich sie von ihnen gehört. Ich finde, dass jeden Tag höre ich oder sehe ich etwas neues auf Deutsch(zB auf DW-TV oder der Kölner Stadt Anzeiger), und normallwerweise ist es ein Wort, das ich schon kenne, weil es von Englisch ist:D . Ja ja stimmt das, dass Englisch und Deutsch die gleiche einmal waren, und dank zu euch, haben wir bald wieder die gleiche Sprache, weil es heutzutage so viele Anglizismen in der deutschen Sprache sind, und sie wird immer ähnlicher(wie ich schon oben geschrieben habe).

Aber ich kann mich nicht beklagen. Das macht sich viel leichter für uns zu lernen.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 friederikeeimer

i'm a german national and living in galway at the moment. i'm fluent in english and i am offering german grinds in galway and as well around galway...
    if anybody is interested please let me know...

rieke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭foxhound

I am learning German at the moment
    Been studying it for a while but still find it hard (never did it in school)
    I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in setting up an Irish German language appreciation group For irish and other native english speakers to practice speaking German to one an other

Or if anyone knows of any such group to let me know of them

Thanks
    PM me if you are interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭foxhound

other than Goethe does anyone know anywhere that teaches intermidiate german (night courses) I need to go back and learn more before I forget what I have learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 32 schubi

Posted via Mobile Device
    It's just a wild guess, but st killian's german school might be running an adult education leg. They're online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Guten Tag,

I've just begun learning Deutsch, but Ich Leibe dich! (hope that's right)

Being the crappy school I went to, they offered french with or without german, but not german alone for the JC, so I just did french for my JC and no language for my leaving cert.(except eng and iri) But I was never great at languages. (more of a mathsy/ sciency person tbh)

Anyway, I would really like to learn some german, mostly because I'll be celebrating Oktoberfest in Muchen this year and my german is atrocious. (BTW, how do you get U umlat on a keyboard) I picked up one of those Linguaphone books with CASSETTES in it from my local library. Although old, it's quite good but one thing that annoys me is the gender thing - Do you have to learn off the gender of every single noun? Also, does anyone know of any places that offer German classes for the summer?
    I did read all the info in this thread but im weary about some of it being outdated.

Danke schon. (seriously, o umlat :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

sd123 wrote:
    Guten Tag,

I've just begun learning Deutsch, but Ich Leibe dich! (hope that's right)

Being the crappy school I went to, they offered french with or without german, but not german alone for the JC, so I just did french for my JC and no language for my leaving cert.(except eng and iri) But I was never great at languages. (more of a mathsy/ sciency person tbh)

Anyway, I would really like to learn some german, mostly because I'll be celebrating Oktoberfest in Muchen this year and my german is atrocious. (BTW, how do you get U umlat on a keyboard) I picked up one of those Linguaphone books with CASSETTES in it from my local library. Although old, it's quite good but one thing that annoys me is the gender thing - Do you have to learn off the gender of every single noun? Also, does anyone know of any places that offer German classes for the summer?
    I did read all the info in this thread but im weary about some of it being outdated.

Danke schon. (seriously, o umlat :D)

Re: the umlauts, try installing German in the language bar on your computer. The umlauts are located where [ ; ' are on the standard English keyboard.

As for distinguishing the gender of nouns, here's something I posted a while ago that may be of some help to you.
    An Citeog wrote: »
    For those of you who have problems with distinguishing the gender of nouns, this may be of help:

Masculine-der

nouns ending in:
    -er/ler eg. der Metzger
    -ling eg. der Liebling
    -or/ator eg. der Direktor
    -eur eg. der Saboteur
    -ant/ent eg. der Denunziant
    -ismus/asmus eg. der Enthusiasmus
    -ist eg. der Extremist

also, nouns constructed using the verb stem eg. schlagen- der Schlag

Feminine-die

nouns ending in:
    -ung eg. die Regierung
    -heit/keit/igkeit eg. die Freiheit
    -e eg. die Reise (important exception here is 'das Ende'
    -t eg. die Fahrt
    -schaft eg. die Mannschaft
    -ei eg. die Tyrannei
    -ion/ation eg die Reaktion
    -tät/ität eg. die Aktivität
    -anz/enz eg. die Ignoranz
    -ie eg. die Bürokratie
    -ik/atik eg. die Politik
    -age eg. die Massage
    -esse eg. die Delikatesse (important exception here is 'das Interesse')
    -ose eg. die Diagnose
    -ur/üre eg. die Literatur
    -ade eg. die Blockade

Neutral-das

nouns ending in:
    -tum eg. das Wachstum
    -nis eg. das Erlaubnis
    -sal eg. das Schicksal
    -sel eg. das Insel
    -ar/är eg. das Vokabular
    -at eg. das Sekretariat
    -ment eg. das Parlament
    -ing das Marketing
    ohne Endung eg. das Problem

also, nouns constructed using verb infinitive eg. trinken- das Trinken
    and nouns beginning with 'Ge-' eg. das Gespräch

Hope that helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amasango

Earlier this year my German girlfriend and I started an upbeat German podcast that focuses on teaching colloquial German lingo, idioms and popular German slang. Essentially the kind of fun language that is spoken on the streets and in bars all across Germany. It's not for beginners great for intermediate to advanced learners.

We'd be stoked to welcome you to our site and hopefully you find it useful. Here's the link: http://pukkagerman.com

All the best,
    Tyler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 amasango

Earlier this year my German girlfriend and I started an upbeat German podcast that focuses on teaching colloquial German lingo, idioms and popular German slang. Essentially the kind of fun language that is spoken on the streets and in bars all across Germany. It's not for beginners great for intermediate to advanced learners.

We'd be stoked to welcome you to our site and hopefully you find it useful. Here's the link: http://pukkagerman.com

All the best from Freiburg,
    Tyler

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

Hallo,

Seeing as this is a sticky thread, I thought I'd recommend a German course I'm taking at the moment. I'm studying at Languagewise - it's on Fitzwilliam street, on the corner of Lower Baggot street. I'm coming to the end of Level 2 now (I took Level 1 previous) and I've just enrolled for the next Level. I've found the classes to be really interesting and useful - the teacher I have is a nice guy, really friendly and makes a point of covering important grammar, along with the more social aspects of the language. Roleplay also features, to try and get us to learn how to speak in everyday situations. They do evening classes for €230 - significantly cheaper than the Goethe Institute, and a lot more "informal", meaning that there are no exams or actual qualifications at the end of the courses, but it's a great way to start learning the language without any pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

feck it costs a bit but i must learn german.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Zxyton

I've used the Michel Thomas language C.D.s for both Spanish and German, and I have found them very helpful. I agree that they can be expensive so I am a hardcore library fan!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Hello there.
    I am German and teaching German too in Sligo and area! So anyone who is interested can pm me.. I give you more details then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ocid

Hi there, I am a native German living in Galway. I have a Ba Hons in German languange & literature, and have been giving grinds for a while, and would be very interested in giving more conversation orientated German classes. So if you're in the Galway area and interested, pm me for more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Sorry, I know I'm kinda repeating the general idea of this thread, but I just wanted to ask a few questions...

I'm nearly finished my leaving cert, and I would love to learn german. I did french for the last 6 years, but in the same way as irish, I reall didn't like the way it was taught. Instead of learning to talk about stuff like social problems and all that rubbish, I'd like to learn how to actually speak the actual language naturally. I'm very jealous of my girlfriend who is half german and speaks it fluently! :P Therefore, I would like to know of a course I could do, preferably myself, that would help me speak the language naturally and in an everday context.

Would the linguaphone or the Michel Thomas CDs provide for this? I'd rather not go to a class because I won't have that much money because of college, plus I'll also be able to practise on my gf :D

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Jay P wrote: »
    Sorry, I know I'm kinda repeating the general idea of this thread, but I just wanted to ask a few questions...

I'm nearly finished my leaving cert, and I would love to learn german. I did french for the last 6 years, but in the same way as irish, I reall didn't like the way it was taught. Instead of learning to talk about stuff like social problems and all that rubbish, I'd like to learn how to actually speak the actual language naturally. I'm very jealous of my girlfriend who is half german and speaks it fluently! :P Therefore, I would like to know of a course I could do, preferably myself, that would help me speak the language naturally and in an everday context.

Would the linguaphone or the Michel Thomas CDs provide for this? I'd rather not go to a class because I won't have that much money because of college, plus I'll also be able to practise on my gf :D

Thanks in advance

What are you planning on studying in college? Depending on the college, you may be able to do Ab-initio German as an optional module. That should give you a basic grounding and after that, it's up to yourself to put in the effort (eg. getting your girlfriend to only speak in German to you for a few hours a week). Trying to learn a language from CDs etc just doesn't work imho. Once you have a basic grounding, I'd recommend doing a 3 week or however long summer course in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

An Citeog wrote: »
    What are you planning on studying in college? Depending on the college, you may be able to do Ab-initio German as an optional module. That should give you a basic grounding and after that, it's up to yourself to put in the effort (eg. getting your girlfriend to only speak in German to you for a few hours a week). Trying to learn a language from CDs etc just doesn't work imho. Once you have a basic grounding, I'd recommend doing a 3 week or however long summer course in Germany.

Maths in Cork... Not exactly an option to do german unfortunately! :p I'll prolly join the german society as well hopefull... Yeah a course in Germany would be cool...I dunno how financially viable it would be in the foreseeable future...

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Has anyone experience with Rosetta Stone or Rocket??? Would appreciate any feedback before I invest.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

i am teaching german if anyone is interested. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I've a degree in German and lived over there for a year, so I suppose my standard would have been very good at one point. However, I haven't needed it professionally or personally in years und leider habe ich so viel vergessen :(

So in order to keep my German up to date, I recently started to subscribe to a couple of vodcasts from ProSieben.de and I've been surprised by how much I've been able to understand. :)
    I subscribe to Galileo (popular science show) and Quatsch Comedy Club (good for speaker speed and slang, and some comedians often throw in a few English words anyway) from ProSieben.

I used to subscribe to Deutsche Welle News, but that is actually more suited to beginners. They make sure to read it very slowly so you won't get stranded. I'd definitely recommend checking out podcasts/vodcasts for language learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 annehynes

Hey,
    anyone from Co. Louth/Dundalk area wanting to learn German, I'm giving German grinds all levels and teach German to any age, any level. I'm a native German, living in Ireland 9 years. Classes are fun and all my students got thru their German LC or JC so far. Prices are reasonable and the emphasis is on talking German and getting confidence in speaking it and some grammar of course.
    Ring/text or leave message for me, Anna, 0879051845

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Anybody teaching spoken German in North Clare?

Advertisement