Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Rights Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Fair enough. TBH, I watched the video and assumed it was accurate about Denmark.

So, you passed on FAKE NEWS willy nilly like n share Facebook style as fact based on what you just ASSUMED, and now its proven to have more holes than a block of Gouda.

If you are posting it as fact, it's up to you to watch it and stand over it instead of just assuming it's TRUE.

Poor form and embarassing.

What else are you passing on as fact that are just your own ASSUMPTIONS.

And saying no one posts here is no excuse fo posting unsubstantiated lies that you just happened upon that suits the Agenda.

You should edit the post with a footnote and say it was disproven, in the interests of honesty, integrity and transparency.

It would be interesting to hear the views of those who liked it. If they liked it, the should be able to stand over it too.

iptba wrote: »
    For somebody to rip a video to shreds, they would need to watch it. My guess is most people were like me and hadn't looked at the 26-minute video.

Why would you like something, if you havent watched it.?

If you are liking posts and approving them without watching, it indicates lack of awareness and reflects badly on you. Do you blindly support false information just because they support your bias?

Or perhaps those who liked that video might give their reasons for supporting it. Do you ll believe it still to be true, given now someone has exposed the holes.

Anyone who liked that post blindly now quite rightly has a question mark over their objectivity and transparency.

The person who posted it has acknowledged it does not stand up to any scrutiny. Will you and the others who liked acknowledge same?

The joker is wild, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

anewme wrote: »
    Why would you like something, if you havent watched it.?

If you are liking posts and approving them without watching, it indicates lack of awareness and reflects badly on you. Do you blindly support false information just because they support your bias?

Or perhaps those who liked that video might give their reasons for supporting it. Do you ll believe it still to be true, given now someone has exposed the holes.
    There were six sentences in the post, only one related to the video. I didn’t like the post, I thanked the poster for sharing their thoughts which, as I said, involved six sentences only one of which related to the video.

If I have time I might watch the video and read the very long comment. That looks like it would take an hour or so which is no small commitment.

There were six sentences in the post, only one related to the video. I didn’t like the post, I thanked the poster for sharing their thoughts which, as I said, involved six sentences only one of which related to the video.

If I have time I might watch the video and read the very long comment. That looks like it would take an hour or so which is no small commitment.

Stop backpedalling. Its making extreme claims that this is happening in many countries!

Sure if thanking posts was for people sharing their thoughts, would you not have to thank everybody. Everybody is just sharing their thoughts..

The comments which you thanked related to the content in the video, which fell apart once looked at. The poster passed it on, blindly ASSUMING it was correct.

The person who posted the video and the comments based on it has acknowledged this.

The people who blindly thanked it and the contents are the ones left with questions raised over their objectivity , Agenda and judgement.

It raises questions over the authenticity of what is posted here.

Okay, I have now watched the video. I had never come across this guy before. It is much more like a MGTOW video rather than a men’s rights video. The name of his account is “Better Bachelor” which gives an idea that he is coming from a MGTOW perspective. The focus in the video is mainly on issues relating to dating and relationships.

As I have mentioned before on this forum, I have looked into MGTOW fora before out of curiosity but I haven’t spent much time there as I find the discussions often involve a lot of bitterness towards women. In this case, it does look like he has some bitterness towards women, at least in terms of dating them in the future.

I thought it was interesting that he said he couldn’t use “feminism” much in the video or it would be flagged by YouTube. Instead, he used “women-ism”. It is disappointing if critiques of such an important ideology are being censored on YouTube in general.

• Advertisement

I thought it was interesting that he said he couldn’t use “feminism” much in the video or it would be flagged by YouTube. Instead, he used “women-ism”. It is disappointing if critiques of such an important ideology are being censored on YouTube in general.

He said he could not use it, but even a cursory search on you tube brings up a lot of titles with feminist or feminism in it, so not sure there. Is he a credible source though?

So, you passed on FAKE NEWS willy nilly like n share Facebook style as fact based on what you just ASSUMED, and now its proven to have more holes than a block of Gouda.

Oh, get off your high horse.

You've posted up all manner of rubbish over the years, so no, I'm not terribly shocked by your desire to dance on the mistake of another person. :rolleyes:

At least, UcdLaw22, did so in a reasonable manner.

Oh, get off your high horse.

You've posted up all manner of rubbish over the years, so no, I'm not terribly shocked by your desire to dance on the mistake of another person. :rolleyes:

At least, UcdLaw22, did so in a reasonable manner.

What you actually did is dangerous.

Coming across random Agenda driven rubbish on YouTube from an unproven source and posting it as fact because you just "assumed' it was true. How many other people have done that with 'The Jokers' nasty content.

Instead of pushing it back on me, you might consider updating your post and acknowledging your 'mistake'.

Okay, I have now watched the video. I had never come across this guy before. It is much more like a MGTOW video rather than a men’s rights video. The name of his account is “Better Bachelor” which gives an idea that he is coming from a MGTOW perspective. The focus in the video is mainly on issues relating to dating and relationships.

As I have mentioned before on this forum, I have looked into MGTOW fora before out of curiosity but I haven’t spent much time there as I find the discussions often involve a lot of bitterness towards women. In this case, it does look like he has some bitterness towards women, at least in terms of dating them in the future.

You deserve a medal for watching it in fairness.

It raises questions over the authenticity of what is posted here.

Nope. It simply raises the awareness that most people don't thoroughly check others claims, or in many cases, the links that are provided. That's all, and while you're dying to scream the drama of it all, it's nothing new. As iptba said, that takes a lot of time . Assumptions regarding the validity of resources happens all the time. To claim otherwise, is terribly dishonest.

While I appreciate the work UcdLaw22 did.. my assumptions and comments posted to this thread related to Denmark, not the whole video. And I said as much in the original post. But, yes, I didn't do due diligence, and assumed that the information was correct.
    It's a vid covering a range of issues, but mostly relates to Denmark, where men are being pushed into second class citizens, with extreme favoritism towards women in all areas such as work quotas, court sentencing, child support etc. Which is present in the US, UK, and the Scandinavian countries. And... likely will happen here too.

I should have been more careful, and not simply looking for information that confirmed my own feelings on the subject.

Lesson learned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep the Danish video is youtube nonsense. The taint of the MGTOW daftness is strong in it. Anything with the sniff of MGTOW or their even sadder Incel brothers should be avoided like the plague.
    I spotted it in March, it's there since December. I'm sure the Mods are well aware of it.
    Mods don't read every post. And as you pointed out it was posted nearly three months ago and yet no international outcry, no hashtags, no world leaders clamouring for their return like before, so it seems the post is becoming more accurate by every passing day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep the Danish video is youtube nonsense. The taint of the MGTOW daftness is strong in it. Anything with the sniff of MGTOW or their even sadder Incel brothers should be avoided like the plague.

Mods don't read every post. And as you pointed out it was posted nearly three months ago and yet no international outcry, no hashtags, no world leaders clamouring for their return like before, so it seems the post is becoming more accurate by every passing day.

But were you one of the people who thanked the Danish You Tube Video?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But were you one of the people who thanked the Danish You Tube Video?
    I thanked the post as the poster is usually a measured one and had some agreement with the latter paragraph. I also thanked the post ripping the video to shreds, but I suppose you missed that.

I note how you also avoided my point about the kidnappings and the "shameful" post that it seems becomes more relevant by the day and lack of international outcry.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Shameful post.

Also shameful that it's still here and not reported by anyone.

These are just little children ffs.

Ok, enlighten me because I just don't see it. The poster (rightly) predicted that the horror of a terrorist group abducting a group of small boys didn't garner anywhere near the outcry or media interest as when the same group abducted a slightly smaller number of girls.

Neither crime is acceptable to any right minded person but when western media is only interested in reporting on crimes where the victims are female, it points to a problem of sexism in either the editorship, or the audience, of that media.

Pay-walled Irish Times article
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/opinion-analysis
    "Kathy Sheridan: More damaged men out there than we realise

Are we ready at last to address the dynamics of male violence, power and abuse?"

"A recent study by Trinity College Dublin and Maynooth University found that one-in-five men reported being sexually assaulted or harassed throughout their lifetime."
    Not a single mention of women in terms of direct or indirect involvement in male suffering; the impression is that it's all down to men.

We cannot solve this without each other’s wholehearted support – and as Ellen O’Malley Dunlop has suggested, a dedicated minister with responsibility for sexual, domestic and gender-based violence.

It would send out a signal at least – this is serious. And it’s not only about women.
    I'm not sure this would necessarily help men that much.

Here are some comments underneath:
    "Are they (men) ready at last to address the dynamics of male violence, power and abuse?" How to mix (intersect?) misandry, arrogance and ignorance in one sentence.
    It would be nice if the tag line for this article focused on the role of males as the victim, which is a core point of the article itself, rather than on men as the perpetrator. Men in this country receive tragically little notice in this respect in spite of suffering domestic and physical abuse to an enormous extent from both male and female abusers.
    While I welcome any article which looks at the plight of abused men, I am cynical about any profession of concern. The comments below the line on such matters have been going on for so long but there has been no concerted attempt to get to grips with the issues. Indeed male support services across a wide range such as men undergoing separation, sexual abuse and domestic abuse are just about where they were 20 years ago.

The Irish Times runs an article like this once in a long while but on Monday International Women’s Day it ran articles by 3 well known women all calling loudly for more of everything. This shows where its heart lies. Now the Irish Times along with RTE and others are looking for state support to enable them to survive in today’s media landscape.

They trot out the well worn sanctimonies about the need to hold government to account. But tomorrow the press and media will no longer be independent; how can they hold anyone to account? They have yet to prove they are worth supporting to at least 50% of the population.
    One of the things that we can change is to not go along with this conflation of harassment with assault. Stats from gender studies people widening the definitions so that sooner or later the majority of women (their main focus) will be included in the victim group and the majority of men will be amongst the accused, merely dilutes focus and weakens the likelihood of justice for victims of actual assault.
    “Less expected is this public outpouring from men who have bottled up injustice, grief and humiliation for half a century.”

There are few if any support groups for men that enable them or encourage them to do so. While the Rape Crisis Centres are open to men, do they have enough male staff that men will feel comfortable talking to? It is something never referred to in the advertisements or the literature. HAs Kathy ever asked why any of her colleagues or the Irish Times has never bothered to run articles exploring it.
    In short, no the Rape Crisis centre is not geared towards men at all (I did some sponsorship work for them). The ONLY available resource for abused men in Ireland is an outfit called AMEN that was setup independently by a lady in Navan in her kitchen about twenty years ago.

End of the day it's all about budget and men lost out on any of that long long ago and there's a coterie of powerful female activitists from the Four Courts to the media to the Dail who intend to keep it that way.

Suicide statistics for Ireland. Look at the gender disparity, and then look at the supports for men: https://www.nsrf.ie/statistics/suicide/

As many suicides are not even recorded as suicides - e.g. a single vehicle crash - the problem is significantly greater than the statistics indicate. We have a stupid culture of "Big boys don't cry" that continues to do untold damage. I have never seen any public campaign financed to address men's mental health.
    I think I'll continue in the next comment so people can pace themselves reading it, if so inclined.

(Continued)
    “that includes the self-violence of suicide”* That sounds like men are to blame even for their own suicides. The reasons behind male suicide have never been explored here. Even the Connecting for Life document of 2015 failed to ask why.

Male suicide hit an all-time high during 2011,2012 the years of the great recession.

We also know that men who are divorced or separated are 3 times more likely to commit suicide and that is down to the fact that men get much worse outcomes in the family courts, are often removed from their homes, suffer financially, and worst of all may often struggle to get access to their children. There are no support agencies for such men.

*That was a quote from another comment rather than from the article
    While men are generally more violent than women, the great majority of victims are also other men. Violence seems to be an evolutionary inheritance. It was much higher in the past and it has been dropping greatly in recent centuries. Stephen Pinker has discussed this at great length in his popular books; there is a long chapter on violence in the Blank Slate which goes into the distant roots of violence.

And women too can be violent. Today male domestic violence services get less that 2% of the annual budget of Tusla. Do you really think that women commit only 2% of it. Nonsense.

There is not a single male support centre in the greater Dublin area but there are at least 6 for women. Why is this never discussed?

Domestic violence is NOT a gender issue. Women abuse assail and assault men just as much as vice-versa. This has been proven scientifically since the 60's and 70's (Strauss, Gelles, Pizzey, Erronen et al) but obviously the vested interests in the female abuse industry wish to keep this fact way below the radar for fear of losing resources and budgets.
    There is an incredibly sexist, misandrist, unjust document that dictates the outcome, inevitably, of all family law actions. The man is violated, raped, gralloched, stripped, humiliated, defenstrated, by default, de facto and de jure, thanks to Bunreacht na hEireann and Article 41.2 that guarantees this outcome.

You won't hear any feminists agitating for its removal of course. It's a meal ticket for powerful female lawyers to absolutely destroy men and fathers in court why would they?
    Seeing as definitions have been extended by the women's superior rights advocates to make women victims of male aggression by default, can we extend the definition of "violence" to include emotional and psychological abuse, silent treatment, neglect, threats to utilise sexist prejudices in the judiciary and wider society against men to ensure they don't have equal access to their children, that they must leave the family home, and all the other legitimate weapons used by women against men?

I've never hit or assaulted any person in any way in my life but it's extraordinary at a time when we are told we shouldn't discriminate against women for things which are common among women - illogicality, irrational responses, overthinking everything, addiction to celebrity culture, etc - that it's fine to discriminate against men in courts of law and in the court of public opinion because physical violence is more common from men.

In both cases, the many good people on each side suffer because of the stereotype. Yet, having a default stereotype of men as violent gets a free pass - even though this prejudice has life-changing consequences for a good, peaceful man in the prejudices of the family courts of this state and wider society in this state. In reality, in our supposedly "innocent until proven guilty" court system a good man must prove he's not violent/a threat in order to be treated fairly.

So men have only themselves to blame for what has happened to them? We men were apparently too busy being masculine and failed to listen to women. The above article is an example of the approved Irish Times approach to feminism, which can better be called womanism. In this view, women have a near-monopoly of emotional intelligence and life skills which we must access through gender quotas in politics and male guilt in general. Class and capitalism tend not to be mentioned.
    “Are they ready at last to address the dynamics of male violence, power and abuse?”

And there it is. I thought at first that this would be a sympathetic, thoughtful piece free from Sheridan’s regular misandry. I thought she might also explore domestic abuse - physical and psychological - inflicted on men by female partners. But no, the author could not rise above petty feminist point-scoring. Men have “catching up to do”, they have to learn from the “ hard-won, accumulated wisdom of women.”
    The article is about various types of abuse and grief suffered by males, not just sexual abuse. To selectively omit abuse caused by women is disappointing, although not surprising.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I think you got the wrong cheese

0f9106ed59b9a959d6fbd6d754cc7bc5.jpg

https://twitter.com/sarahradz_/status/1370115353007726594?s=21
    Popular tweet. Basic message seems to be you should be wary of all men.

I'm feeling so left out. I mean, over the years, I've made friends with thousands of people of both genders, and none of them have been done for murder, or acted as a serial killer.

Love the tweet. Makes it sound like she turned the lovely guy into a serial killer. He was fine until he talked with her... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

I'm feeling so left out. I mean, over the years, I've made friends with thousands of people of both genders, and none of them have been done for murder, or acted as a serial killer.

Love the tweet. Makes it sound like she turned the lovely guy into a serial killer. He was fine until he talked with her... :D

Is it genuine I wonder, or just a look at me, I escaped a murderer, a man, any man could be a murderer, watch yourself out there ladies.
    Anyone can say anything on twatter, I dont have an account, I thought it might be useful as a news feed eons ago, but never got hooked onto it as it seemed to be people spreading bile.

• Advertisement

One’s experience of Twitter largely depends on the accounts you follow. Two people could have almost completely different experiences (unless they click on what’s trending). But very popular posts can be tweeted or liked so much they can appear in lots of people’s feeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I would recommend anyone to stay off Twitter, it's really a huge echo chamber and the demographic is largely 18-35 so you are going to get one view point but with it being moderate to extreme...if you have a different viewpoint you may get harassed off the site altogether

I run a few different Twitter accounts for different purposes. One is an anonymous account which is freeing, just like posting on boards. I don't tend to challenge most tweets (by individuals) I disagree with directly as I think it's unlikely it will change many minds. But it's nice to be able to challenge articles from, say, the Irish media in comments underneath, or as "retweet with quote", as quite a lot of people can see their posts.

It's the very definition of hysteria, whipped up by media and spread by social media. IIIRC something like 80% of murderers are men, but near enough to that figure are their male victims. On blind stats alone men should be significantly more wary and fearful than women, but they're not, at least as far as the media and social media, IE society goes.

I'd again reckon this goes back to the notion that men are the more "disposable" and "stronger" sex, women are the more "valuable" and "weaker". Children and the very elderly are above both. Picture a murder tragedy: Man is murdered, woman is murdered, a child is murdered. Which garners the most headlines and outrage? That would go for pretty much any culture on the planet. Add in that women are in the vast majority of cases physically weaker on average than men on average and have been since we started to walk upright so are indeed more vulnerable and have likely evolved a pretty understandable level of justified wariness even paranoia because of that and here we are. It is what it is and no amount of social engineering is going to change that much IMHO.

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's the very definition of hysteria, whipped up by media and spread by social media. IIIRC something like 80% of murderers are men, but near enough to that figure are their male victims. On blind stats alone men should be significantly more wary and fearful than women, but they're not, at least as far as the media and social media, IE society goes.

Well, speaking as one of the weaker (physically) males in society, I'm careful. It's not paranoia. It's not excessive. It's simply a set of habits built up over three decades, whereby I pay attention to people's body language, avoid groups of male strangers, avoid drunk people unless I have my own friends nearby, etc. There's a learning process involved, but also the reinforced belief that I need to be aware and careful. [due to very painful experiences]

I'm still likely stronger that the average woman, being significantly taller than them, which is why I'm always amazed by a lot of the behavior of women in public.

When it comes to men, either they're in a group, or they stand mostly alone.. The guys in a group rely on each other, and while that can lead to violent encounters, typically, the group protects. Those who stand alone, tend to watch everything, be more careful with strangers, and not allow themselves to be boxed in, but ultimately they'll avoid certain experiences because there is too much risk to themselves.

Many women exercise a degree of caution, but honestly, I'm constantly amazed there's not more assault or abuse of women. In most societies, they've been a protected group, and it shows in how they approach risky situations.

Joyce Fegan: Misogyny is a rot at the core of society
    Emotions are our species’ navigation system. Ignoring feelings isn’t strong, it’s actually stupid
    Women's voices make up just 28% of all voices heard talking about news and current affairs on Irish radio. When it came to Covid-19 coverage internationally, just 19% of people quoted were women. And when you look at the make-up of Dáil Éireann, 22.5% of TDs are women, 77.5% are men. That 80:20 ratio appears to be a bit of a pattern.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40242914.html

If one picked other career fields like primary and secondary education, social work, many healthcare fields, etc. the ratios wouldn't be like this.

Also, men are expected to work full-time (and often a bit more than full-time) for their whole working lives.
    Many women don't work for pay for some years and work lower hours at other times as well as not having the pressure to take high responsibility jobs. So it's not surprising that in some fields, there won't be close to a 50-50 gender split.
    On Tuesday, we told women to shut up, stay quiet, we don't believe you when you speak out.

She is referring to one individual. Individuals, male and female, often get challenged. If it had happened to a man, I'm not sure she would have generalised in this way.

Here's the latest batch of gender-related hashtags I have noticed trending for anyone interested (I know some are not)
    (Aside: I'm not on Twitter 24/7 of course and don't look back at lists for when I wasn't on)
    I also threw in some other posts as I didn't want to post too much.
    There was a huge amount of coverage for International Women's Day, but I didn't look at most of it
    Join the Irish Examiner to celebrate International Women's Day 2021
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/arid-40232057.html
    in this Saturday's Irish Examiner we celebrate International Women's Day
    To mark International Women’s Day 2021, Louise O’Neill will be guest editing Weekend magazine for a very special edition. Read first-person stories of what it’s like to be a woman in today’s Ireland, including Hazel Chu, Lord Mayor of Dublin, Pamela Connolly of the Pillow Queens, and Kate McGrew from the Sex Workers Alliance. Alison O’Connor examines the impact of the past 12 months on women. Plus, the 100 women changing the landscape of Ireland today, as chosen by Irish Examiner writers and columnists

This showed up in the top position of a private Facebook group I'm an admin on. I don't think I’ve ever seen a post which was basically an ad (from Facebook) as prominent as that on Facebook:
    Join us for International Women's Day
    You’re invited to take part in a live discussion with international female leaders on Monday, March 8th. We’ll talk about the importance of safe spaces for women, shared experiences and the impact of their groups with an open Q&A.

Top corner position on Pinterest (basically in the position an ad from them)
    Celebrate International Women's Day
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/today/article/international-womens-month-2021/64902/

https://twitter.com/samaritansirl/status/1368923334931578883?s=21

https://twitter.com/csoireland/status/1368924998522535941?s=21

https://twitter.com/ciitweets/status/1368879622851551232?s=21

This Polish teen's cosmetics website is helping women escape violence

#whynother
    "Why not her? A public call for more diversity and womxn on Irish radio"

What is the state of gender equality in the world today?

The Wheel: Celebrate Women in Our Sector
    We have put together an exciting panel of women leaders and innovators from across the Irish community and voluntary sector, all of whom will be sharing their stories and experiences with The Wheel's members live on Zoom.
    Drawing on their shared experiences of how gender has impacted their careers and lives, these pioneering women will talk to you about how they challenged the status quo and made positive change possible.

https://twitter.com/JRD0000/status/1369757575609192453?s=20
    [presumably about International Women's Day]

#NotAllMen
    A lot of this seemed to be people complaining about the hashtag

Women are sharing their experiences of constant safety fears following the disappearance of Sarah Everard

#MeToo

#TooManyWomen
    #AllWomen
    #notallmenbutallwomen
    #shewaswalkinghome
    #SheWasJustWalkingHome

Irish Examiner Lifestyle
    This Sunday is Mother's Day and after a challenging 12 months, there's no better time to pay tribute to our mammies. We have touching letters from people like Adam King and Conal Creedon to their mothers while mums working on the front line reflect on a difficult year, both personally and professionally. In the wake of International Women's Day, seven women share their different experiences of being a woman in Ireland and we celebrate 100 Irish women who inspire us.

Twitter ad
    https://twitter.com/SAFEIreland/status/1370804010937155586?s=20

Women-only initiative:
    The Irish authors Kathleen McMahon and Naoise Dolan have been longlisted for the Women's Prize for Fiction in the UK.
    https://www.rte.ie/culture/2021/0311/1203271-irish-authors-make-womens-prize-for-fiction-longlist/

LinkedIn news. Promoted by them to me.
    Flexible work has been on offer to men and women for decades but, according to The Conversation, it is women who are more likely to take companies up on the offer.

Research showed women took on part-time or non-standard employment more frequently than men to meet the demands of children and unwell parents or partners.

Analysts suggest that taking up this flexibility may actually be weakening women’s collective position in the labour market and their lifetime earning potential.

They write, “It is often women who are culturally and socially expected to use flexible conditions to leave work and care for a sick child, for example. Less so for men.”

Do you feel there is a social stigma that prevents men switching to part-time arrangements to be there for their families?

#gender #careers #equality #remotework #parenting
    No mention that the female partner might not be too happy for her male partner to go part-time, take (unpaid) time off to mind a sick child, etc.

Comment under an Irish Times article I thought was interesting, given how any disadvantage or discrimination females may face gets highlighted so it can be important to show things aren't all in the same direction:
    On the other hand the Economist has a very good tool to get your personal risk of hospitalisation and death from Covid based on a very large pooled database in the US. As male in my mid 50s I am 4 times more likely have to go to hospital and twice as likely to die as a woman my age. In fact women 5 years older than me have slightly better outcomes. Any logical system of vaccination would account for that but none do. I'd say there would be more than a single paragraph in the same letter if the genders were reversed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

I doubt very much that her story is true but even if it is the intent of the Tweet seems to be to have a go at men in general.

It's kind of like being in a new relationship with someone who had an allegedly terrible ex.

They keep telling you how much better than the ex you are but as soon as you think about getting ideas above your station they'll reminisce about how their horrible ex used to do things like that.

It's about control and coercion. It's about shaming.

It's about making sure that you not only know your place but to let you know that if you even dare try to declare innocence you'll be compared to murderers and rapists etc.

There's no arguing with a person like that because their logic is so flawed that you just can't change their worldview. This may even be intentional.

One could easily say "my best friends mother seemed like a lovely lady and whenever we came over to the house she made cupcakes and hotdogs for us with a smile, then when we went home she beat my friend relentlessly and burned him with cigarettes, now I'm not saying it's all women or all mothers but it's definitely some of them and you'll never know which ones."

Good luck getting likes on that, of course.

Advertisement