Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seatbelts, why don't everyone use them?

Options
  • 23-01-2020 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭

For many years now wearing seatbelts have saved lives. Why then do many people not use them? Either in front or back seats.

One excuse was I don't want to be trapped in the car in an accident but if you don't wear one you may well be dead anyway! So makes no sense to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I find they are rather passé.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Breakerz

The same reason people use phones while driving, they're dangerous idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Suicide drivers generally don't wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Breakerz wrote: »
    The same reason people use phones while driving, they're dangerous idiots.

Although stupid I can see how a person would answer a phone but some non seatbelt drivers go out of their way to fool the warning chime or lights fit some override or turn it off. One even had the belt across the shoulder to fool the Gardai but not connected up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seatbelts all worn in this car out of habit, but if not, the constant beeps and alerts would make you do it anyway.

No doubt some smart alek has figured out a way to stop it, but I'm happy enough to have it beeping (for the rare idiots that are random passengers I give a lift to, and will always be rebels).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Don't even notice putting it on or notice it's on as it's pure habit.

Taxi drivers use to be exempt and certain medical conditions allow as pregnancy also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

If someone your love doesn't always wear a seatbelt, try and get a fireman to explain some of what they have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Taxi drivers use to be exempt and certain medical conditions allow as pregnancy also.

The ones I am talking about aren't exempt categories these are langer dans.

saabsaab wrote: »
    The ones I am talking about aren't exempt categories these are langer dans.

Organ donor, we do need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There’s a really good chapter in a book called Freakonomics about seat belts.

Edit I think it’s in the second book Super Freakonomics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Madness is that still the case ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The only question is why car makers don't use the double seatbelt.
    Those fancy rally driver style ones, to prevent extended whiplash, and one sided spinal twisting.

As far as not wearing them, take a look at any international road safety advert of the last 30yrs or so for a demonstration of Newtons laws of motion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epTdI-9V6Jk

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Some women find them very uncomfortable. No excuse but it is one given reason. Could be fixed with a different style of belt I don't know.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Some women find them very uncomfortable. No excuse but it is one given reason. Could be fixed with a different style of belt I don't know.

Pink fluffy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The only question is why car makers don't use the double seatbelt.
    Those fancy rally driver style ones, to prevent extended whiplash, and one sided spinal twisting.

As far as not wearing them, take a look at any international road safety advert of the last 30yrs or so for a demonstration of Newtons laws of motion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epTdI-9V6Jk

The rally harness are strapped to the roll cage.there would be nowhere in a road car to strap them where they wouldn’t be in the way.plus you’d need bucket seats for the harnesses to go through and you would be constantly adjusting them to suit different drivers.
    The belts we have are fine

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus if some retarded morons won't wear normal seatbelts, good luck in getting them to wear a five point harness. Though TBH I don't know anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think very few dont use them, The only people who I have seen not wearing them are foreign nationals who are not used to wearing them back home and have just not gotten used to doing things different here, usually passengers and usually they catch on very quickly.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus if some retarded morons won't wear normal seatbelts, good luck in getting them to wear a five point harness. Though TBH I don't know anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt.

Very true especially since car manufacturers fitted the dreaded beeper that stays pinging until you put on the belt.
    2 seconds to click a belt or else risk ending up dead or badly injured.fairly easy decision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

saabsaab wrote: »
    For many years now wearing seatbelts have saved lives. Why then do many people not use them? Either in front or back seats.

One excuse was I don't want to be trapped in the car in an accident but if you don't wear one you may well be dead anyway! So makes no sense to me.
    Why do people drink and drive/speed/ignore lights etc. Some people are just idiots. That's life unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Unfortunately the myth that "you don't need to wear a seatbelt when you're in the back" is rampant. More often or not if I give a lift to someone and I remember to check, I'll find them not wearing seatbelt in the back. Alas, most of the time I do forget to check. Will probably find out one of these days when a moron goes through the back of my head.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

I don't wear a seatbelt driving the bus as we don't have one fitted.
    Tractor would be another and of course motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't wear a seatbelt driving the bus as we don't have one fitted.
    Tractor would be another and of course motorbike.

Can't argue with riding a motorbike when it comes to being safe!

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Pink fluffy one?

Ha who knows sure! But not all breasts agree with seat belts so you'll find some women either not wearing them or only having them around their waist. Overweight men probably too....

Though TBH I don't know anyone who doesn't wear a seatbelt.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was in the car with someone without a belt on.

I used to know a fella who did the odd thing of starting to drive and then put his belt on. Habit I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I used to know a fella who did the odd thing of starting to drive and then put his belt on. Habit I suppose.

I still encounter this a lot, especially with people over 50 or so. And not wearing belts in the back, it drives me mad. Luckily my current car tells me who has their belts on :)

Stark wrote: »
    Can't argue with riding a motorbike when it comes to being safe!

Temporarys they are called in Brisbane

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I remember when I first started driving at 17 i was like ohh my god no belts are so lame :rolleyes:

No in 40s I actually feel weird not having it on when in the car like im naked or something.:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Some people just don't give a s**t

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Seatbelts, Indicators, why don't everyone use them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I never wear a seat belt when in the rear seats. Or on a bus .

It's just something I grew up with in the 70's and I can't shake.

Back in the days when we didn't have rear seatbelts, we didn't have child seats, and it was common to have 6 to 8 kids bouncing around in the rear seat of a citrone CX (with a puddle of water in the foot well) and 2 kids in the front.. and I presume an adult in the drivers seat..

I also remember a time when the family car was a van. Mum and dad up front, and 5 kids in the back of a van in cushions.

That's what was done back in the 80's

Good times

Advertisement