Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seatbelts, why don't everyone use them?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

My megane tells me how many belts are on in the rear, beeps if fronts aren't fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I remember when I first started driving at 17 i was like ohh my god no belts are so lame :rolleyes:

No in 40s I actually feel weird not having it on when in the car like im naked or something.:D

Clunk click every trip as the late James Wilson Vincent Savile would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

My megane tells me how many belts are on in the rear, beeps if fronts aren't fitted.

I don't care if anyone wears their seatbelts or not . The beeping does bother me, bit it generally stops after 3 min

mikeecho wrote: »
    I don't care if anyone wears their seatbelts or not . The beeping does bother me, bit it generally stops after 3 min

Mine gets louder and more intense..... Not like the wife though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Mine gets louder and more intense..... Not like the wife though....

It'll stop.. believe me, they eventually stop.
    If not , with a ford there is a code to tiring it off
    Usually turn key to on, and lock unlock seatbelt a number of times . Use Google.

With Toyota , BMW, and Hyundai, they give up with the beeps after about 3 min.

I'll give the Kia a try during the week

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    It'll stop.. believe me, they eventually stop.
    If not , with a ford there is a code to tiring it off
    Usually turn key to on, and lock unlock seatbelt a number of times . Use Google.

With Toyota , BMW, and Hyundai, they give up with the beeps after about 3 min.

I'll give the Kia a try during the week

Airbags should deploy after 3 minutes ;-)

I have to admit that since the seat belt warning beep stopped working a few years ago I have got into the habit of not bothering with the seat belt on short spins to the shop, petrol station etc (all within 2 or 3km of the house). It’s all slow roads and it just feels like hassle putting it on only to take it off 3 mins later. I always been a person who puts on the seat belt a minute or two after driving off too, don’t know why but just habit.

I have to admit that since the seat belt warning beep stopped working a few years ago I have got into the habit of not bothering with the seat belt on short spins to the shop, petrol station etc (all within 2 or 3km of the house). It’s all slow roads and it just feels like hassle putting it on only to take it off 3 mins later. I always been a person who puts on the seat belt a minute or two after driving off too, don’t know why but just habit.

Near the home is statistically the most dangerous.

Just because you're slow doesn't mean I am when I crash into you....

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Same thing on my car when the reminder beep was working it actually got me in the habit of putting on belt. For some weird reason it stopped beeping. I actually want to get it repaired when I have the money as the odd time i forgot it the reminder was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The same probably don't even bother with a helmet while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What are 'slow roads'? Do you mean the roads where drivers are supposed to drive slowly but often don't?

Honestly, this is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Putting a seat belt on has to be one of the least difficult things to do. It's pure muscle memory. Saying things like it's a slow road or only 2km to the shop is just mind boggling, I couldn't do it. Turning it off in software? Madness.

Only time I'll ever not wear it is when I'm swapping cars in the drive way or after I swipe the car park gate at work.

If any of my passengers didn't have it on I'd kick them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭saabsaab

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Putting a seat belt on has to be one of the least difficult things to do. It's pure muscle memory. Saying things like it's a slow road or only 2km to the shop is just mind boggling, I couldn't do it. Turning it off in software? Madness.

Only time I'll ever not wear it is when I'm swapping cars in the drive way or after I swipe the car park gate at work.

If any of my passengers didn't have it on I'd kick them out.

I think you're right. No valid excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭kirving

I live at the end of a cul de sac and sometimes have to move two cars to get mine out if it's blocked in, but still find myself with the belt on each time.

My car's sealbelt gives a reassuring hug every time I put it on, and will pre tension it and move my seat upright if I brake extremely hard.

It's not until you feel the belt throw you back in the seat preemptively (whereas most wait until the crash happens), that you realise how valuable they are.

I was in a Toyota Prius taxi before Christmas and couldn't honestly get the seat belt over my shoulder.

Find fords can be very tight too.

I wouldn't even think and just put belt on never any thoughts of will I or won't I.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭User1998

There is still a stigma around asking people to put their belts on, especially with younger people. The RSA have an add for it at the moment. I know if someone got in my car and didn’t put their belt on in the back I’d be too embarrassed to ask them to put it on. But its their choice really, if there over 17 its them who gets a fine if there caught, not me.
    The front is a different story with the noise it makes, and obviously with children I’d always make sure they have their belt on.

A lot of young people think its cool to not wear a seat belt, same way a lot of them still think its cool to smoke, do drugs etc. There’s something about putting your health at risk that still appeals to young people trying to show off. Not wearing a helmet when they go on their scramblers, not wearing a seat belt, not taking medicine when there sick.. its all just apart of that stigma around young men I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaahooters

User1998 wrote: »
    There is still a stigma around asking people to put their belts on, especially with younger people. The RSA have an add for it at the moment. I know if someone got in my car and didn’t put their belt on in the back I’d be too embarrassed to ask them to put it on. But its their choice really, if there over 17 its them who gets a fine if there caught, not me.
    The front is a different story with the noise it makes, and obviously with children I’d always make sure they have their belt on.

A lot of young people think its cool to not wear a seat belt, same way a lot of them still think its cool to smoke, do drugs etc. There’s something about putting your health at risk that still appeals to young people trying to show off. Not wearing a helmet when they go on their scramblers, not wearing a seat belt, not taking medicine when there sick.. its all just apart of that stigma around young men I suppose.

you do know that in a crash with out a seat belt, that passenger will bounce around the cabin like a super bounce ball, and more likely kill someone else in the car as they are themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

OSI wrote: »
    It's not really. You get in a 50km/h crash and they'll be plowing in to your back and head with the equivalent force of 10-20 tons. Have fun trying to walk after that.
    kaahooters wrote: »
    you do know that in a crash with out a seat belt, that passenger will bounce around the cabin like a super bounce ball, and more likely kill someone else in the car as they are themselves.

Quite so, no one rides in my car, front or back without their seat belt on, no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

When my kids were small (they are in their 20s now) they used to get annoyed with me if I drove out of the driveway before they had a chance to fasten their seatbelts. They are the generation where all cars had seatbelts in the front and back, they got used to wearing them, and mine at least have some associations with some bad karma if they don't wear them (and honestly I can't remember having to lecture them). Hopefully they will pass it onto the next generation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

User1998 wrote: »
    Being young tends to mean more willing to take risks. Which is a good thing, except in cases like this. Old farts tend to be much more risk averse.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Good to get to old age. Some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I honestly can't remember the last time I was in the car with someone without a belt on.

I used to know a fella who did the odd thing of starting to drive and then put his belt on. Habit I suppose.

Dad does that. Not an odd habit, but temporary no hands driving is a little unsafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've seen people plug the belt in and then sit on top of it.
    That has to be really uncomfortable

Dad does that. Not an odd habit, but temporary no hands driving is a little unsafe.

I've that habit too, don't know why but I'd nearly always start driving before putting it on. Usually short distance, 100 metres or so. I tend to hop in, drive off and then when moving automatically go for the seatbelt (unless on a very short trip).
    tuxy wrote: »
    I've seen people plug the belt in and then sit on top of it.
    That has to be really uncomfortable

I was in a taxi recently where the driver had a setup with one those back support seat inserts and the seatbelt connected and all tucked in behind the support.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wibbs wrote: »
    Being young tends to mean more willing to take risks. Which is a good thing, except in cases like this. Old farts tend to be much more risk averse.
    That's because we've done the stupid things already and don't fancy chancing our arm a second time :pac:

If I'm driving and you're in the car with me, you wear a seatbelt or you walk. I don't want you killing yourself and someone else in the car because you were too stupid to put the belt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tuxy wrote: »
    The same probably don't even bother with a helmet while driving.
    That is what I find odd. The majority of adult cyclists drive, loads already have helmets so no need to buy another (cycling style helmets are said to be very suitable for driving) and many are OTT zealots about it, calling you a complete fcuking moron if you do not wear a helmet on a bike.

Yet they will get into a car and not dream of wearing one! There are seatbelts & airbags of course, but a helmet would be of HUGE benefit, just ask any coroner who has to deal with car accidents with properly used seatbelts & airbags but still had serious head injuries or death. Of course the media ONLY ask coroners and doctors about cyclists wearing them -really odd.

Just recently the governor of NY city was asked about mandatory helmets for motorists. He was considering it and asking for data. Not only would it prevent lots of deaths and injuries but it would be expected to see a very large drop in car numbers in the clogged city -which was seen as a massive extra benefit. Just as any country which introduced mandatory cycling helmets saw a large drop in the number of cyclists -but in that case it was seen as a negative.

I doubt it will go ahead but is an interesting idea.

New York State Governor Mulls Car Helmet Compulsion To Discourage Motoring

There were also dedicated ones designed for cars.
    http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/developments/headband/
    The Centre has been evaluating the concept of a protective headband for car occupants. In about 44 percent of cases of occupant head injury, a protective headband, such as the one illustrated, would have provided some benefit. One estimate has put the potential benefit of such a device (in terms of reduced societal Harm) as high as $380 million, compared with $123 million for padding the upper interior of the car. This benefit derives from the fact that in a crash, the head strikes objects other than those that could be padded inside the car.
    headband1.jpg

and an older one from years back.
    motoringhelmet-1200x800.jpg?width=960

motoring_helmet.jpg

Advertisement