Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder house

Options
  • 02-01-2019 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this would put most people off a house. We spotted a nice house that had upon investigation a fairly violent murder in.

It was up for sale a while back and is now back on the market. It's easy enough to find the information about what happened in it. Is this something the estate agent has to disclose and could it be used as a bargaining tool ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hmm, honestly.

Thats a tough one. Personally even though i dont believe in all that ghostly shenangians whatsoever.

I dont know if id ever feel at ease in a house that a violent murder took place in.

I mean id always know, and id always walk into the room that it happened in. Even if it was just to pop into my mind. It would be in there forever i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

D3V!L wrote: »
    Just wondering if this would put most people off a house. We spotted a nice house that had upon investigation a fairly violent murder in.

It was up for sale a while back and is now back on the market. It's easy enough to find the information about what happened in it. Is this something the estate agent has to disclose and could it be used as a bargaining tool ?

Does an estate agent have to disclose anything by law?

It's up to you how to proceed but considering that at one stage there where 8 million people living on this Island then finding somewhere that someone hasn't meet a violent death is going to be extremely difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It want be to a savage discount for me personally.
    Even then, I'm not sure.
    We bought a 2nd hand house, and it was a nice feeling having to meet the family who were downsizing and seeing the family life who lived there previously.

Good article here with some info:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/criminal-assets-six-irish-houses-with-dark-pasts-1.3463639

Del2005 wrote: »
    Does an estate agent have to disclose anything by law?

It's up to you how to proceed but considering that at one stage there where 8 million people living on this Island then finding somewhere that someone hasn't meet a violent death is going to be extremely difficult.

:confused:

Ehhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

listermint wrote: »

Ehhh...

point been there are ghosts everywhere if your into that and worried about some one having died in a house. Look at the Tuam babies are the people going to up and move ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

point been there are ghosts everywhere if your into that and worried about some one having died in a house. Look at the Tuam babies are the people going to up and move ?

Ghosts aren't a problem ;) Having had plenty of experience with the living and dead they dont bother me.

He is talking about an actual house with a violent death in it.

Was the other poster or yourself for that matter asserting that all houses in Ireland have had a violent death in them ?

Hence the confusion.

Theres a difference between someone being bludgeoned to death in the bedroom of your new second hand house and someone being strangled in a field up the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

I know what you mean. :)

Theres a difference between someone being bludgeoned to death in the bedroom of your new second hand house and someone being strangled in a field up the road.

Why? If you don't believe in ghosts what is the problem. If ghosts do exist, why believe they only stay where the person dies.

I can't see it bothering me personally. Lots of places I have been have had people die,: nursing homes, hospitals, traffic accidents, tube stations, beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

It wouldn't bother me to live in etc but I would wonder would it be a case of attracting attention from people who like to go see the area/place where something happened.
    I'd hate to have strangers interested in my property when I'm just going about my daily life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Very hard to find a house were someone didn't die in it... at least where I'm from.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Large detached house in North county Dublin? Maybe not as the EA ads instructed people to research the history of that one.

You won't be able to sell the house easily for decades. That is the biggest problem really. Eventually it ceases to be an issue but it'll hang around and depress the value in to the medium term. May be impossible to get a mortgage in the medium term either

L1011 wrote: »
    Large detached house in North county Dublin? Maybe not as the EA ads instructed people to research the history of that one.

You won't be able to sell the house easily for decades. That is the biggest problem really. Eventually it ceases to be an issue but it'll hang around and depress the value in to the medium term. May be impossible to get a mortgage in the medium term either

No, south west Dublin.

What do you mean by medium term ? 10 years or less. I know the neighbours on that street will always associate the house with the murder.

Why? If you don't believe in ghosts what is the problem. If ghosts do exist, why believe they only stay where the person dies.

I can't see it bothering me personally. Lots of places I have been have had people die,: nursing homes, hospitals, traffic accidents, tube stations, beaches.

Its not ghostly .

Its having to have the thought of the person who was murdered pop into your brain when lying in bed or walking into the kitchen.

Not something you'd want really in your own home. There's a stark difference between memorable events and someone just passing away in their bed and you not knowing he intimate details

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wouldn't bother me at all but I can understand why it would put some people off. I know the previous owner of my house had a family member who died in the house and I barely think about it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, south west Dublin.

What do you mean by medium term ? 10 years or less. I know the neighbours on that street will always associate the house with the murder.

Try 40 or so

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Very hard to find a house were someone didn't die in it... at least where I'm from.
    My father died on the couch at home. Eventually you decorate and stop associating the sitting room with the death. You always know but you aren't always thinking about it.

Its not ghostly .

Its having to have the thought of the person who was murdered pop into your brain when lying in bed or walking into the kitchen.

Not something you'd want really in your own home. There's a stark difference between memorable events and someone just passing away in their bed and you not knowing he intimate details

Well if you think that is going to torture you forever, then obviously the person shouldn't buy.

However, for me, I'd imagine it would be a fleeting thought that lessens over time as I make my own memories.

murphaph wrote: »
    My father died on the couch at home. Eventually you decorate and stop associating the sitting room with the death. You always know but you aren't always thinking about it.

I agree. It's not like you are going to walk into a room and get the chills for years on end.

The issue here isnt a passing in the house which basically happens in most houses. It's the effect on the value of a house where someone was murdered.

• Advertisement

The issue here isnt a passing in the house which basically happens in most houses. It's the effect on the value of a house where someone was murdered.

Well, it is the passing/murder because that is what may affect future sale. I'm saying it wouldn't bother me. Plenty of people buy for investment as well and rent out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

*screams*

Purple drapes!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He is talking about an actual house with a violent death in it.

Was the other poster or yourself for that matter asserting that all houses in Ireland have had a violent death in them ?

Hence the confusion.

How do you know that someone didn't meet an a violent death in your home? Don't forget that there were people around before it was a house so we have no idea how many people died in any location. So your only problem is that you know someone died there as opposed to living in ignorance of what happened in the thousands of years people lived on this island, in much more violent times.

OP. Like everything else it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, so make your offer and see what happens. Its up to the vendor to decide if you get it for what you offer not people on the Internet. But if you go to sell the perspective buyers might want a discount!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

For some people it would be a turn on and an added bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I'm not sure why people keep referring to the normal death of people in their beds etc, from old age or sickness or whatever, to the savage and violent murder the OP was referring to.

I wouldn't care if the previous owner had died in her bed aged 86. I would absolutely care if the previous owner was stabbed to death by her husband in the kitchen.

A world of a difference.

I'm not sure why people keep referring to the normal death of people in their beds etc, from old age or sickness or whatever, to the savage and violent murder the OP was referring to.

I wouldn't care if the previous owner had died in her bed aged 86. I would absolutely care if the previous owner was stabbed to death by her husband in the kitchen.

A world of a difference.

Yes there is a stark contrast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Wouldn't bother me personally but if I could leverage it to get a discount I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just don't watch this show then!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Horror_Story:_Murder_House

Being serious, I don't know why but hearing of a suicide in a house would put me off purchasing a property to live in over other hearing of other deaths. Maybe it's just the particularly sad nature of how the death happened.... A friend of mine bought a house recently with her family and I subsequently heard through other sources that there was a suicide in the house back in the 1990s of a teenage boy in his bedroom there. I have chosen not to tell her (she may have or will eventually hear about it) but it's something I wouldn't like to know about if it was my house.

Del2005 wrote: »
    How do you know that someone didn't meet an a violent death in your home? Don't forget that there were people around before it was a house so we have no idea how many people died in any location. So your only problem is that you know someone died there as opposed to living in ignorance of what happened in the thousands of years people lived on this island, in much more violent times.

OP. Like everything else it's only worth what someone is willing to pay, so make your offer and see what happens. Its up to the vendor to decide if you get it for what you offer not people on the Internet. But if you go to sell the perspective buyers might want a discount!

Because i know all the previous owners and when the house was built.

Perspective..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Statistically it’s safer to buy a house where there has been a violent murder, as your chances of being murdered in your own house are greater then that of winning the lottery, the chances of that occurring twice in the same house would be greater than the same person winning the lottery twice.

If I were selling, I would ask for extra money given the statistics.

Advertisement