Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUNDAY 19th January

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

yaboya1 wrote: »
    But when bs is called out on certain posters here, their pals don't like it and there is a problem?

The posters on here aren't influencing the price of horses. But jockeys who ride horses are, it is that simple. With that greatness comes responsibility, and I think a duty of care to punters. They can play it anyway they like, they can give their opinion, they can say nothing, they can say " To be honest journalist I haven't sat on him in the last two weeks but such and such said he was flying" etc etc.

But when you say that you would prefer to be on a horse ( that you are not actually retained to ride btw) and then go and beat it by 14 lengths ….. I think there is a problem.

Secondly, you were being a little bit of a bitch in fairness? Especially bringing it up again? But that was yesterday, I am still in love with you and the world today. I don't like to see posters getting isolated on this thread, we are all just trying to enjoy our racing, hopefully make some holiday money and talk some shight about it. It is what the game is all about.

Jockeys are great and they are fully entitled to have the inside knowledge and reap the benefits off it. But spoofing to punters is bollixing, that is all.

You’re really barking up the wrong tree here.

You’re accusing Townend of lying for saying before the race that he would, as any rational person would, prefer to ride the 8/11 favourite and suggesting he somehow knew the result of the race before it happened only because he won it on the 2/1 2nd favourite.

He has no business passing comments on horses that he not even riding in the race. Especially given that he was more than likely on the horses back at some stage in the last few weeks. It is his job to inform his trainer how well the horse is going. That being the case and given he is in the game all his life, I don't buy or like 14 lengths on an 8/13 shot, particularly when he is announcing to the world he expects the opposite to happen. It stinks and it is lousy behaviour.

I respect that jockeys and stable staff and owners and connections and trainers and the bleeding drivers are entitled to winks, whispers and nods, everyone has to get by.... But misleading punters, I simply cannot and never will support.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He has no business passing comments on horses that he not even riding in the race. Especially given that he was more than likely on the horses back at some stage in the last few weeks. It is his job to inform his trainer how well the horse is going. That being the case and given he is in the game all his life, I don't buy or like 14 lengths on an 8/13 shot, particularly when he is announcing to the world he expects the opposite to happen. It stinks and it is lousy behaviour.

I respect that jockeys and stable staff and owners and connections and trainers and the bleeding drivers are entitled to winks, whispers and nods, everyone has to get by.... But misleading punters, I simply cannot and never will support.

You talk some drivel. It would be 1.01 that Townend would have ridden Footpad if he had the choice. A combination of good ground and a hard race in the KG contributed to his defeat.
    They are a few high profile lads getting the best of info out of the stable and are nearly bust. So what does it matter what Townend does or doesnt say. It would have no effect on the market. Why dont you go with our own opinion and stop whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The posters on here aren't influencing the price of horses. But jockeys who ride horses are, it is that simple. With that greatness comes responsibility, and I think a duty of care to punters. They can play it anyway they like, they can give their opinion, they can say nothing, they can say " To be honest journalist I haven't sat on him in the last two weeks but such and such said he was flying" etc etc.

But when you say that you would prefer to be on a horse ( that you are not actually retained to ride btw) and then go and beat it by 14 lengths ….. I think there is a problem.

Secondly, you were being a little bit of a bitch in fairness? Especially bringing it up again? But that was yesterday, I am still in love with you and the world today. I don't like to see posters getting isolated on this thread, we are all just trying to enjoy our racing, hopefully make some holiday money and talk some shight about it. It is what the game is all about.

Jockeys are great and they are fully entitled to have the inside knowledge and reap the benefits off it. But spoofing to punters is bollixing, that is all.

It doesn't say a lot for punters if jockeys are influencing prices. They're some of the worst judges ever, as can be proven by the numerous examples of when a stable's no. 1 jockey has got beaten in the top races by his lesser fancied stablemate.
    They're professional jockeys, not punters. Maybe they shouldn't be asked for their opinion if the racing public expect them to know the result of every race before it takes place.

It is his job to inform his trainer how well the horse is going.

No it's not. It's his job to ride the horse in the race. A lot of the top jockeys won't have sat on many (if any) of their mounts between races.

• Advertisement

Kauto wrote: »
    You talk some drivel. It would be 1.01 that Townend would have ridden Footpad if he had the choice. A combination of good ground and a hard race in the KG contributed to his defeat.
    They are a few high profile lads getting the best of info out of the stable and are nearly bust. So what does it matter what Townend does or doesnt say. It would have no effect on the market. Why dont you go with our own opinion and stop whinging.

So what you are saying is that even though he knew the horse wasn't fit that he still would have taken the ride? Which is irrelevant, Jacob is paid to ride him anyways, at least that gives the owners a smidgeon of control over what happens.

In hindsight all that happened here is that Suede and Munir got some feed money for a few months, would you like to talk about that?

If Footpad was so fond of the muck why was he entered in Thurles? Even I know it has the best winter ground in the country. The reality is that Footpad is regressive. That is what makes Townend's comments worse.

I find your contempt for punters disconcerting. Without punters there would be no one for your pals to spoof at, who would talk to them then?

No it's not. It's his job to ride the horse in the race. A lot of the top jockeys won't have sat on many (if any) of their mounts between races.

If he hasn't sat on the horse mid week he certainly is not in any position to comment on what its' chances in the race are.

Your drowning in this one.

If he hasn't sat on the horse mid week he certainly is not in any position to comment on what its' chances in the race are.

Your drowning in this one.

Seriously?
    Most punters betting on the race had an opinion on each horse's chance, yet I doubt any of them sat on any of the runners, ever.

I think YOU'RE the one who's drowning. Contradicting your own argument.

Seriously?
    Most punters betting on the race had an opinion on each horse's chance, yet I doubt any of them sat on any of the runners, ever.

I think YOU'RE the one who's drowning. Contradicting your own argument.

Now you are actually sinking here, do you need arm bands ?

What is my argument ,( if you don't get it right first time this conversation might struggle to continue btw)?

Now you are actually sinking here, do you need arm bands ?

What is my argument ,( if you don't get it right first time this conversation might struggle to continue btw)?

I quoted your post.
    You're saying Townend has no business commenting on another horse's chance because be hasn't sat on him. Anyone (jockey or otherwise) is entitled to comment on any horse's chance, especially if they're asked (whether they've sat on them or not).
    If punters are stupid enough to base their betting on what a jockey says, they deserve to lose their money.

Btw, saying you're drowning/sinking doesn't make it so.

• Advertisement

I quoted your post.
    You're saying Townend has no business commenting on another horse's chance because be hasn't sat on him. Anyone (jockey or otherwise) is entitled to comment on any horse's chance, especially if they're asked (whether they've sat on them or not).
    If punters are stupid enough to base their betting on what a jockey says, they deserve to lose their money.

Btw, saying you're drowning/sinking doesn't make it so.

Stick up for the corruption all you like. I asked you what my argument was, you refused to take that on, and if I am being honest given the way you have spoken to other posters, on this very thread I might add, that you are looking to argue as opposed to discuss. I cannot have that.

As I said, when the top jockeys from the top stables are misinforming punters there is a deep problem. That was my argument, just to clarify going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

So what you are saying is that even though he knew the horse wasn't fit that he still would have taken the ride? Which is irrelevant, Jacob is paid to ride him anyways, at least that gives the owners a smidgeon of control over what happens.

In hindsight all that happened here is that Suede and Munir got some feed money for a few months, would you like to talk about that?

If Footpad was so fond of the muck why was he entered in Thurles? Even I know it has the best winter ground in the country. The reality is that Footpad is regressive. That is what makes Townend's comments worse.

I find your contempt for punters disconcerting. Without punters there would be no one for your pals to spoof at, who would talk to them then?

Who said the horse wasnt fit? He wouldnt have been put under any pressure at home, hence you would only find out on the course if the KG had taken its toll. The owners got some feed money? This doesnt even deserve a response.

This game is not for you. Your a hopeless punter and an even worse analyst of the game.

Stick up for the corruption all you like. I asked you what my argument was, you refused to take that on, and if I am being honest given the way you have spoken to other posters, on this very thread I might add, that you are looking to argue as opposed to discuss. I cannot have that.

As I said, when the top jockeys from the top stables are misinforming punters there is a deep problem. That was my argument, just to clarify going forward.

I'm not sticking up for corruption and never have done. As previously stated, just because you say something doesn't make it so.

Your argument is your opinion. It's not based on fact. You have nothing to prove that your opinion is correct. You're accusing Townend of misinforming punters because he said he'd rather be riding the odds on favourite than his own mount. Your argument assumes Townend knew he was going to beat Footpad. You don't know that this is the case, yet are stating it as fact.

Who said the horse wasnt fit? He wouldnt have been put under any pressure at home, hence you would only find out on the course if the KG had taken its toll. The owners got some feed money? This doesnt even deserve a response.

This game is not for you. Your a hopeless punter and an even worse analyst of the game.

Your the only person who mentioned he wasn't fit, I think you are beginning to drown a little also.

I am out because this thread as gotten too personal and I don't think insulting other posters is what I came on here to do.

I never asked for anyone's opinion on my punting either. How would you possibly know?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Absolute nonsense talked on this thread. No one can tell for sure if Footpad was still feeling the exertions of the KG until he ran in a race again. He might have been sore or stiff for a few days after the KG but then he'd be back working normally. He would have schooled over fences early last week and then the decision would have been made to run him. If DJ didn't come over then highly likely it was PT who rode him then. PT was asked for his opinion pre-race and he gave it. He was not misinforming anyone. Everyone knew Footpad was a bleeder and saw that he had a hard race in the KG but no one knew how those things would affect his running on Sunday. Enough with the corruption BS.

Advertisement