Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 In Between Grand Slam Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 grebonato

Do you know any good pub/bar in Dublin to watch the final this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

grebonato wrote: »
    Do you know any good pub/bar in Dublin to watch the final this evening?

Trinity sports bar up on dame st would be my shout. Not my fav bar but they will definitely be showing it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And Thiem breaks back. Anybody's game now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,629 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Final set TB!

And a tie break it is. Slightly fancy Tsitsipas. Maybe more capable of pulling out a few spectaculars

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Some good hitting there from Thiem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Unreal backhand. The depth on it!!

The stuff of nightmares that forehand was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,629 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Delighted for Greek lad!

Wow. Three-set games never feel like the real deal to me but I'll make an exception for that one:D

• Advertisement

Fair play to Tsitsipas. Great match from both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Really enjoyed that

Hope Tsitsipas becomes the real deal

He's an absolute marketing dream for the sport. Good to watch, extremely photogenic and a good personality to boot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pighead wrote: »
    Shockingly your prediction was wrong. Nadal out.

And that's the last you'll hear from Hector until the first round of the next tournament when the others may as well withdraw since Nadal is nailed on to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

one of the better end of year tournaments in recent years, a handful of very high quality matches and an exciting final.

With only one of the 'big 3' making the semis, it may be the middle of the start of the future...or something. I'm looking forward to next year with some interest now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

After the ATP Finals I am looking forward to next year. I hope to see the big 3 challenged by these up and coming youngsters. Add into the mix the likes of Murray and Del Potro with their low rankings coming up against the higher seeds early in the tournaments. Zverev needs to work on the mental side of his game or he will be find himself been passed by the Medvedev, Tsiptsipas and Berrettini.

lostcat wrote: »
    one of the better end of year tournaments in recent years, a handful of very high quality matches and an exciting final.

With only one of the 'big 3' making the semis, it may be the middle of the start of the future...or something. I'm looking forward to next year with some interest now.

The younger guns are getting a lot more joy in the Masters' events these days and that's now also applying to the Tour Finals, with none of the last 4 winners being members of the big 3. Hopefully it soon transfers to the slams

Almost forgot that 2020 is an Olympics year too. Given its the other side of the world from the North American hard court swing I'd expect a poor participation rate tbh. I can't see the likes of Nadal or Djokovic being too pushed either, the slam count - and upcoming US Open - will be their priority

jr86 wrote: »
    Almost forgot that 2020 is an Olympics year too. Given its the other side of the world from the North American hard court swing I'd expect a poor participation rate tbh. I can't see the likes of Nadal or Djokovic being too pushed either, the slam count - and upcoming US Open - will be their priority

Djokovic would, I think, give up a slam for a gold medal
    Federer will be keen to get one also to fill out the collection

its the last chance for both of of them. I would expect a solid enough turn out overall.

Djokovic will turn up for sure and make all the right noises PR wise, but privately I'd say there's 0% chance he'd swap a gold medal for a slam.

It would be a nice swansong to Federer's career perhaps, but I'd be very surprised if ND didn't fully prioritise reclaiming the US Open title.

As for participation, well Rio had plenty big names pull out and that's the same side of the world as north america.

The North American masters series and obviously US Open are where the ranking points and $$$ are to be won

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

3 Priorities next year - Fed for the Olympic Gold. Nadal for the AO to do the Slam of slams x 2, and the same for ND at the French.

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Djokovic will turn up for sure and make all the right noises PR wise, but privately I'd say there's 0% chance he'd swap a gold medal for a slam.

It would be a nice swansong to Federer's career perhaps, but I'd be very surprised if ND didn't fully prioritise reclaiming the US Open title.

As for participation, well Rio had plenty big names pull out and that's the same side of the world as north america.

The North American masters series and obviously US Open are where the ranking points and $$$ are to be won

I wont labour the point further after this, but I think you are wrong about how much Djokovic would like a gold medal for his country, its not personal or $$.

in other news, hard to know what to make of this new Davis Cup, it might pick up over the weekend, but it obviously lacks the old electric 'home crowd athmosphere at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Evans was just taken apart in the third set by Bublik of Kazakhstan. All down to the doubles now. Edmund won the first singles 6-3, 6-3.

GB get it done in the doubles

I know Murray is extremely rusty but I'd still take his experience and winning mentality any day of the week over the mentally brittle Evans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Edmunds wins the kick off Q/F singles game, 6-3 7-5, regardless of what happens in the 2nd Singles, GB have to be favourites to win the tie-breaking doubles match should it go that far. Andy not playing presumably he's aggravated some injury but may make it back over the weekend if they get that far. Clearly a happy chappy after that first win.

https://twitter.com/the_LTA/status/1197942548570025984

Evans 7-6 (8-6) 3-6 7-6 (7-2) Struff

Evans brings it home for GB, it really did not look likely, but he hung in there, onwards to the S/F over the weekend. GB v Argentina/Spain, currently 1-1 after Nadal levelled the score in the 2nd singles match.

Spain v GB , 1-1 after the 2 singles rubbers, Edmund beats Lopez before Nadal crucifies Evans, onwards to the decisive doubles rubber. Nadal not down to play the doubles, but opinion seems to think that is unlikely, so Nadal and Lopez v Jamie Murray and Skupski is the prevailing wisdom. Decisive doubles due to start at 21:05 Irish time.

9tx0Uje.png

• Advertisement

Nadal and Lopez take the first set.

Nadal beats Shapovalov to win the Davis Cup for Spain.

A very entertaining match and a nice way for Nadal to finish the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

and muscle man Nadal 6 months shy of 34 gets stronger and stronger and stronger and stronger ........ what a player
    Let's see when he wins 2 or 3 slams minimum next year will questions finally be asked - doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Can anyone confirm if Andy Murray's documentary on Amazon Prime Video will be available to view in Ireland? Searched for it on the app but it seems non-existent.

Will it just turn up on the day of the premiere (tomorrow, I think)? Lbr, the app goes out of its way to make searching for your show really difficult 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

camz09 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if Andy Murray's documentary on Amazon Prime Video will be available to view in Ireland? Searched for it on the app but it seems non-existent.

The production company behind it were promoting it in a tweet and about 10 ten people, all from different countries, asked "is it available in my country" and the answer each time was yes. It should be available here tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Wozniaki retiring after the Australian Open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

paulie21 wrote: »
    Wozniaki retiring after the Australian Open

Good luck to her. Not yet 30 is young enough to bow out but tour life is a grind so gotta respect her choice. Dont think she was most talented but achieved a fair bit on what she had.

At least she got her slam anyway.

She's one of the more well known names anyway, she certainly won't be stuck for work, so I wouldn't blame her

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Advertisement