Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Decide :: The WORST song of all time!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Rupert Holmes - Escape Vs Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Take That - Could it be magic Vs Justin Bieber - Baby
    Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen Vs DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide
    Captain and Tenille - Muskrat Love Vs Pentatonix - Hallelujah

The same war crimes tribunal that will be trying Ronan Keating could probably do Justin Bieber at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy ; absolutely hate it and I like The Pina Colada Song

Justin Bieber - Baby ; he has one or two bearable songs but this ain't one of them, and the Take That song is pretty good

DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide ; fairly evenly matched, neither are the most terrible in the world, but they're both equally annoying, although Cha Cha Slide just that little bit worse I think

Captain and Tenille - Muskrat Love ; more bland than anything else, but Pentatonix don't bother me. They're alright for what they do, even if its not a great cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,940 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Rupert Holmes - Escape Vs Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy - Abstaining in this matchup.
    Justin Bieber - Baby (Always felt JB was too manufactured)
    DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide (Saw a group of Brits trying to do choreographed dance to this in Spain. Bad memories)
    Pentatonix - Hallelujah (Going for Penatonix here but if anyone can tell me WTF is the sound at 1:50 in the other one, I might change my mind)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

More shocker nominations. No accounting for taste :rolleyes:

Rupert Holmes - Escape
    Justin Bieber - Baby
    DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide
    Pentatonix - Hallelujah

Best songs ever? No. Worst songs Ever? No. Not even close.

In your opinion.

Sales don't mean a record was good or bad. It means a lot of people bought it. A lot of the dross in this competition was in the Top 40 when it was released. Doesn't automatically mean everyone likes it.

50 Shades of Grey has sold 125 million copies worldwide. Doesn't stop it being utter trash in my opinion. All of those copies could have been used as toilet roll if things had gotten really bad in the last few weeks, and the literary world would be no worse off..... that gives me an idea for a game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,421 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy, my nom, absolute tripe
    Justin Bieber - Baby, I quite like that TT cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Rupert Holmes - Escape Vs Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy. Two good songs, no vote

Take That - Could it be magic Vs Justin Bieber - Baby. Bieber!

Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen Vs DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide. Come on Eileen is a cracking tune so DJ Casper it is

Captain and Tenille - Muskrat Love Vs Pentatonix - Hallelujah. Muskrat Love here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Rupert Holmes - Escape - the other song is great
    Justin Bieber - Baby
    DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide - the other song is good,this one is kinda annoying
    Captain and Tenille - Muskrat Love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Round 1!!!

First song to reach 5 votes advances

No need for a reason at this point, though people are always welcome to give theirs :D

Reminder :: You are voting for the WORST song in each one of these matches

Round 1/Match 33

Mark McCabe - Maniac

Vs

Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end

This would be a terrible song as a new release, compared to the original, it is a blocked portaloo on day 4 of Glastonbury.

Round 1/Match 34

Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off

Vs

Crazytown - Butterfly

Round 1/Match 35

Axel F - Crazy Frog

Vs

Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas

There was only one good thing about Crazy Frog. You could tell someone was a complete idiot if they used it as their ringtone, and then avoid them like the plague.

Why I Hate It: The majority of Christmas songs are pretty woeful, but this one really is the worst of the worst, so obviously also one of the most popular. Maybe its from my years of working in Retail around Christmas time and this was played over and over and over all day long, but can't stand it.

Round 1/Match 36

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

Vs

Mariah Carey - Without You

Mark McCabe - Maniac Vs Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end
    Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off Vs Crazytown - Butterfly
    Axel F - Crazy Frog Vs Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas
    Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away Vs Mariah Carey - Without You

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

Justin Bieber - Baby
    Pentatonix - Hallelujah

That was nice - now humming Don't worry... Always cheers me up.

For the rest, see above. Canada may have apologized many times for Bryan Adams, but they need to attend the Hague for Bieber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

Axel F - Crazy Frog
    Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

(

Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off - because the title sounds crap
    Axel F - Crazy Frog - because Carey is annoying but this is out of the park
    Mariah Carey - Without You - because Carey is annoying and ruined a classic Nillsen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote:

Rikand wrote:

Rikand wrote:
    Axel F - Crazy Frog

Rikand wrote:
    Mariah Carey - Without You

Someone covering Linkin Park that badly deserves a beating with a red hot poker

Carey escapes in the first place because of that Frog but not the second one, Kravitz shouldnt even be here imo

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Rupert Holmes - Escape. A war crime of a song.

Justin Bieber - Baby. It's Justin Bieber, of course it's crap.

DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide. No exactly a fair fight.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47a66a557258654354dc88c61abec44f7ccad90f6c&rid=giphy.gif

Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end, mark mccabe, what a choon
    Crazytown - Butterfly, another of my noms, something about it, cant stand it.
    Axel F - Crazy Frog
    Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

Dont get all the hate for Mariah, a brilliant voice and easy on the eye

• Advertisement

Mark McCabe - Maniac Vs Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end - Fùcking Maniac. :mad: The single biggest shítstain on Ireland's cultural fabric. Even worse than Ronan Keating's many atrocities.

Axel F - Crazy Frog Vs Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas - All I Want for Christmas is you is the only good Mariah Carey song.

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away Vs Mariah Carey - Without You - I repeat, - All I Want for Christmas is you is the only good Mariah Carey song.

Celine Dion - MHWGO
    From Wiki

Cher - Believe
    From Wiki

Best songs ever? No. Worst songs Ever? No. Not even close.

I have made the courtesy calls to the Gardai on behalf of the posters above, but I got the sense that they weren't taking me seriously because I was talking about anonymous posters on a discussion board during a pandemic where everyone is approaching their limit.

If anyone wants to know the colossal worldwide hit that Tell Me How submitted, I'll auction that answer off to the highest bidder :D

Would you believe me if I said I'd never heard Maniac?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mark McCabe - Maniac ; even a mediocre cover of a Linkin Park song is still a million times better than most other songs

Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off ; it's really crap and I also like Butterfly

Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas ; because I nominated it, its an absolute nightmare of a song

Mariah Carey - Without You ; Fly Away is a great song and all Mariah Carey songs are rubbish. Probably the most overrated singer of all-time

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mark McCabe - Maniac. I'm not even going to listen to the other song. This is a potential overall winner for me it's so bad.

Crazytown - Butterfly. Look up the definition of irritating on the internet and there'll be a link to this pile of crap.

Axel F - Crazy Frog. I never thought I'd favour Mariah Carey over anyone. Show's what I know.

Mariah Carey - Without You. It's OK, relax, balance has been restored to the universe.

• Advertisement

Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end (Insulting to the original)
    Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off (No doubt you are Reh Dogg)
    Axel F - Crazy Frog (F the producer who decided to release this)
    Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away (Mariah Carey is song is a classic)

quickbeam wrote: »

Nope. it was the number one song in Ireland for the guts of a year when it was released. You've definitely heard it. You just don't realise you have

You are so lucky.

Rikand wrote: »
    If anyone wants to know the colossal worldwide hit that Tell Me How submitted, I'll auction that answer off to the highest bidder :D

I've a hint for them.

It'll be one of the finalists. :)

Mark McCabe - Maniac Vs Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end. Maniac is a staple of irish culture should have never been included! Fleurie and the Jung Youth is just down right awful, gets my vote

Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off Vs Crazytown - Butterfly. Listening to I'm jerking off makes me want to never repeat that act knowing that wretched man also does it!

Axel F - Crazy Frog Vs Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas. Crazy Frog

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away Vs Mariah Carey - Without You. Mariah because I like Fly Away

You must not have been in an Irish night club since the turn of the century.

Kolido wrote: »
    Dont get all the hate for Mariah, a brilliant voice and easy on the eye

Nope, all Mariah Carey is pure torture, both in the earholes and the eyeholes...

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

De birdy song.

Mark McCabe - Maniac Vs Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end
    Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off Vs Crazytown - Butterfly
    Axel F - Crazy Frog Vs Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas
    Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away Vs Mariah Carey - Without You

I'm glad to see All I want for christmas was nominated, I was going to nominate it. When my students were playing some christmas music on the last day or two before the holidays I told them they could play anything but that, it was banned in my room.

She's escaping this round because the frog deserves to be put in a blender, but next round Mariah, I'm coming for ya.

Nope, all Mariah Carey is pure torture, both in the earholes and the eyeholes...

DigitalVengefulAnnelida-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement

Niska wrote: »
    For the rest, see above. Canada may have apologized many times for Bryan Adams, but they need to attend the Hague for Bieber

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end - As a huge Linkin Park fan i find this cover offensive
    Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off - I'm not
    Axel F - Crazy Frog - It's literally just noise
    Mariah Carey - Without You - Fly Away is brilliant and doesn't belong here

How is that possible??:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I never heard the dogsh*t version in question, but there's nothing wrong with Michael Sembello's original.. (Apologies if already posted, only tuning into the thread now..)

Rupert Holmes - Escape [5] Vs Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy [3]
    Take That - Could it be magic [0] Vs Justin Bieber - Baby [5]
    Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come on Eileen [0] Vs DJ Casper - Cha Cha Slide [5]
    Captain and Tenille - Muskrat Love [4] Vs Pentatonix - Hallelujah [5]

Mark McCabe - Maniac [3] Vs Fleurie and the Jung Youth - In the end [5]
    Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off [5] Vs Crazytown - Butterfly [2]
    Axel F - Crazy Frog [5] Vs Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas [0]
    Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away [2] Vs Mariah Carey - Without You [5]

Another 1 hour break as I need to put my kids to bed. I'll try get another round up around 10pm :)

I've a hint for them.

It'll be one of the finalists. :)

It has already been eliminated :D

b91b8faf057c1042.gif

DigitalVengefulAnnelida-size_restricted.gif

You're clearly out of your God damned mind if you think Mariah Carey is good...

giphy.gif

Rikand wrote: »
    Nope. it was the number one song in Ireland for the guts of a year when it was released. You've definitely heard it. You just don't realise you have

I doubt it. I don't listen to pop music stations.
    You are so lucky.

So I believe!

Probably true actually. And very seldom last century either.
    How is that possible??:eek::eek::eek:

There are advantages to having no social life :P

• Advertisement

b91b8faf057c1042.gif

giphy.gif

b91b8faf057c1042.gif

Mariah's music is

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493b70bdae639fe01438c6729d2d13574afaaef73e89&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Glad to see 'Barking' got through. It's one of those songs I constantly heard on the radio and struggled to comprehend how such a lazily performed and poorly written song could be successful.

Worst part was it took half an hour of humming the thing in my head trying to remember lyrics and checking top 40 charts from two years ago to figure out what it was called.

I HATE IT.

I also nominated the Tiesto Jackie Chan song for similar reasons to above. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry, Be Happy

Justin Bieber - Baby

Crazytown - Butterfly (Can't give many reasons RN but I'n not counting Youtube songs)

Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas

Lenny Kravitz - Fly Away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Sawduck wrote: »
    Reh Dogg - I'm Jerking Off - I'm not

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Nominated another song which seems to have got through the first round but just realised I have let everyone down - and most of all myself.

"Dawn. Tie a yellow Ribbon round the old oak tree"

There. Maybe we should just stop the competition now and apologise for wasting one anothers time.

Gutted

• Advertisement

Truthvader wrote: »
    Nominated another song which seems to have got through the first round but just realised I have let everyone down - and most of all myself.

"Dawn. Tie a yellow Ribbon round the old oak tree"

There. Maybe we should just stop the competition now and apologise for wasting one anothers time.

Gutted

Well you might get another chance. I have 2 entries in my database that are duplicate entries, so we have scope for a wildcard round for the final spot in round 2. if you want to enter something for the wildcard, send your submission to me by PM. We'll limit it to 2 songs per person and it will appear as the last match in Round 1!

Sorry about last night. I fell asleep putting my daughter to bed and woke up 10 hours later lol - I must have been wrecked :D

Round 1!!!

First song to reach 5 votes advances

No need for a reason at this point, though people are always welcome to give theirs :D

Reminder :: You are voting for the WORST song in each one of these matches

Round 1/Match 37

Fr. Brian - Who's in da house ?

Vs

Simply Red - Fairground

A "comedy" song by a then relatively unknown Brendan O'Connor. Sung loudly by drunken morons all over the country back when it was released. Also this song was championed by Ray D'arcy. Thanks a bunch Ray.

Played every single hour on the hour for a year on LW252 back in the 90's. Utter monotony.

Round 1/Match 38

Paris Hilton - Stars are Blind

Vs

Paddy Casey - Saints and Sinners

What happens when money, boredom and entitlement come together

Round 1/Match 39

Frankee - F U Right Back

Vs

Fast Food Rockers - The Fast Food Song

Possibly some idea behind it of female empowerment but hit every level of cringe within reach

Why I Hate It: My sister and brother knew I deplored this song when it came out, so as younger siblings tend to do they used sing it at me constantly. So annoying. :::::::: Just kill me now.

Round 1/Match 40

Coldplay - Yellow

Vs

David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome

I liked them later on when they started working with Brian Eno, but when this came out, I just couldn't stand his voice, and the videoclip didn't help either

that laugh is too freaky

Fr. Brian - Who's in da house? Vs Simply Red - Fairground
    Paris Hilton - Stars are Blind Vs Paddy Casey - Saints and Sinners
    Frankee - F U Right Back - Fast Food Rockers - The Fast Food Song
    Coldplay - Yellow Vs David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome

Fr. Brian - Who's in da house, terrible
    Paddy Casey - Saints and Sinners, that paris song is catchy
    Fast Food Rockers - The Fast Food Song, like the other song.
    David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome, again, like the other song.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rikand wrote:
    Fr. Brian - Who's in da house ?

Rikand wrote:
    Paddy Casey - Saints and Sinners

Rikand wrote:
    Fast Food Rockers - The Fast Food Song

Rikand wrote:
    Coldplay - Yellow

Awful horrible muck in this round.

You can toss Paddy Casey into the war crimes tribunal along with Bieber and Keating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement