Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2018, 09:57   #1
Hammer Archer

Mod: GAA, ZTest
Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Previous thread continued from here
Generally there's not much trouble but I'll put the generic mod warning in anyway:
No personal abuse of players, managers (including opposition ones) and posters.
No speculation into the personal lives of players.
No trolling. Non-Galway posters are welcome to participate but any winding up will be treated harshly.
Report any posts that cross the line.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-09-2018, 18:46   #2

First post should always be a comical one.

Mayo for Sam.
20-09-2018, 01:24   #3
sgthighway

Sure what’s a GAA Thread without a bit of winding up.
Club Fixtures coming hot and fast now.
It looks like Portumna won’t qualify out of group?
20-09-2018, 11:16   #4
Stationmaster

Could someone put up a summary of how the groups stand now for the hurling championship - I forgot to get the Examiner Monday and the fecking Independent was useless.
20-09-2018, 11:22   #5
Mr Velo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stationmaster View Post
Could someone put up a summary of how the groups stand now for the hurling championship - I forgot to get the Examiner Monday and the fecking Independent was useless.
http://galwaygaa.ie/senior-hurling-qualifiers-2015
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-09-2018, 14:12   #6
fearruanua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Velo View Post
what's the format then in the knockout stages? how many teams from A and B get through?
20-09-2018, 15:52   #7

Top 2 in both senior A groups straight through to quarters

3rd and 4th in both groups go into preliminary quarter vs top 2 in both Senior B groups

5th and 6th in both groups go into relegation playoff with 2 dropping to Senior B next year, and the top team in both Senior B groups promoted
Thanks from:
21-09-2018, 09:59   #8

Noel Lane to link up the senior hurlers management team next year??

Any substance to it.
21-09-2018, 11:38   #9
fearruanua

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr86 View Post
Top 2 in both senior A groups straight through to quarters

3rd and 4th in both groups go into preliminary quarter vs top 2 in both Senior B groups

5th and 6th in both groups go into relegation playoff with 2 dropping to Senior B next year, and the top team in both Senior B groups promoted
thanks Jr.
I knew it was something like that but wasn't certain.

Senior B really is glorified intermediate so. you could top your group after winning 5 "senior" matches and still you aren't guaranteed a quarter final spot.

I know i bang on about this a lot but there are 24 "senior clubs" in galway.
8 too many in my opinion. Whole system needs a massive overhaul and call senior B what it is....intermediate. in my opinion the ideal would 16 senior teams 16 intermediate teams.

what do others think??
Advertisement
21-09-2018, 11:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearruanua View Post
thanks Jr.
I knew it was something like that but wasn't certain.

Senior B really is glorified intermediate so. you could top your group after winning 5 "senior" matches and still you aren't guaranteed a quarter final spot.

I know i bang on about this a lot but there are 24 "senior clubs" in galway.
8 too many in my opinion. Whole system needs a massive overhaul and call senior B what it is....intermediate. in my opinion the ideal would 16 senior teams 16 intermediate teams.

what do others think??
Fully agree

They've changed Dublin football to 16 teams in senior A and 16 in Senior B (basically intermediate) and its working very well.

Call the second division Senior B or intermediate - whatever - but either way I think senior (A) with 4 groups of 4 and 16 teams in total is the ideal format for both Galway hurling and football championships
Thanks from:
21-09-2018, 12:41   #11
Diabhal Beag

Army retired again. Much more influential second time around as a wise old head. Hope he enjoys retirement.
(2) thanks from:
21-09-2018, 16:09   #12

Heard there is a financial scandal set to break in Galway GAA - any truth to it?
21-09-2018, 16:58   #13
Happyilylost

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving tipperary
Heard there is a financial scandal set to break in Galway GAA - any truth to it?

If it was done in every county I think the same scandal would be in the news. Trying to get money collected at the gate of games into the coffers of the county board seems to very difficult in Galway!
21-09-2018, 17:00   #14
TCDStudent1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabhal Beag View Post
Army retired again. Much more influential second time around as a wise old head. Hope he enjoys retirement.
Quality player. Was a bit unlucky the first time around as he ended up playing on a very poor Galway team. A few years ago, I suggested on here he would be worth bringing back into the panel and was slated for it. But I've seen him play so well so many times for Salthill, I thought he could offer something and he did. I'd have been inclined to try convince him for 1 more year. However, it may have been 1 year too much. I think he can leave this time knowing he has given it everything which I suspect admit the case the last time.
21-09-2018, 21:39   #15
Happyilylost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDStudent1
Quality player. Was a bit unlucky the first time around as he ended up playing on a very poor Galway team. A few years ago, I suggested on here he would be worth bringing back into the panel and was slated for it. But I've seen him play so well so many times for Salthill, I thought he could offer something and he did. I'd have been inclined to try convince him for 1 more year. However, it may have been 1 year too much. I think he can leave this time knowing he has given it everything which I suspect admit the case the last time.

As you said he played in a period where Galway were quite poor. Will always wonder though if he could of stayed more injury free along with Mike Meehan could things of been better. Never forget that game against Down when the two lads went to town on them.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion