Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
19-09-2018, 09:57   #1
Hammer Archer
 
Hammer Archer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,495
Mod: GAA, ZTest
Galway GAA Discussion Thread #2

Previous thread continued from here
Generally there's not much trouble but I'll put the generic mod warning in anyway:
No personal abuse of players, managers (including opposition ones) and posters.
No speculation into the personal lives of players.
No trolling. Non-Galway posters are welcome to participate but any winding up will be treated harshly.
Report any posts that cross the line.
Hammer Archer is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-09-2018, 18:46   #2
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,263
First post should always be a comical one.

Mayo for Sam.
djPSB is offline  
20-09-2018, 01:24   #3
sgthighway
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,320
Sure what’s a GAA Thread without a bit of winding up.
Club Fixtures coming hot and fast now.
It looks like Portumna won’t qualify out of group?
sgthighway is offline  
20-09-2018, 11:16   #4
Stationmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 623
Could someone put up a summary of how the groups stand now for the hurling championship - I forgot to get the Examiner Monday and the fecking Independent was useless.
Stationmaster is offline  
20-09-2018, 11:22   #5
Mr Velo
Registered User
 
Mr Velo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stationmaster View Post
Could someone put up a summary of how the groups stand now for the hurling championship - I forgot to get the Examiner Monday and the fecking Independent was useless.
http://galwaygaa.ie/senior-hurling-qualifiers-2015
Mr Velo is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-09-2018, 14:12   #6
fearruanua
Registered User
 
fearruanua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Velo View Post
what's the format then in the knockout stages? how many teams from A and B get through?
fearruanua is online now  
20-09-2018, 15:52   #7
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,903
Top 2 in both senior A groups straight through to quarters

3rd and 4th in both groups go into preliminary quarter vs top 2 in both Senior B groups

5th and 6th in both groups go into relegation playoff with 2 dropping to Senior B next year, and the top team in both Senior B groups promoted
jr86 is offline  
Thanks from:
21-09-2018, 09:59   #8
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 397
Noel Lane to link up the senior hurlers management team next year??

Any substance to it.
leestone is offline  
21-09-2018, 11:38   #9
fearruanua
Registered User
 
fearruanua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr86 View Post
Top 2 in both senior A groups straight through to quarters

3rd and 4th in both groups go into preliminary quarter vs top 2 in both Senior B groups

5th and 6th in both groups go into relegation playoff with 2 dropping to Senior B next year, and the top team in both Senior B groups promoted
thanks Jr.
I knew it was something like that but wasn't certain.

Senior B really is glorified intermediate so. you could top your group after winning 5 "senior" matches and still you aren't guaranteed a quarter final spot.

I know i bang on about this a lot but there are 24 "senior clubs" in galway.
8 too many in my opinion. Whole system needs a massive overhaul and call senior B what it is....intermediate. in my opinion the ideal would 16 senior teams 16 intermediate teams.

what do others think??
fearruanua is online now  
Advertisement
21-09-2018, 11:43   #10
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearruanua View Post
thanks Jr.
I knew it was something like that but wasn't certain.

Senior B really is glorified intermediate so. you could top your group after winning 5 "senior" matches and still you aren't guaranteed a quarter final spot.

I know i bang on about this a lot but there are 24 "senior clubs" in galway.
8 too many in my opinion. Whole system needs a massive overhaul and call senior B what it is....intermediate. in my opinion the ideal would 16 senior teams 16 intermediate teams.

what do others think??
Fully agree

They've changed Dublin football to 16 teams in senior A and 16 in Senior B (basically intermediate) and its working very well.

Call the second division Senior B or intermediate - whatever - but either way I think senior (A) with 4 groups of 4 and 16 teams in total is the ideal format for both Galway hurling and football championships
jr86 is offline  
Thanks from:
21-09-2018, 12:41   #11
Diabhal Beag
Registered User
 
Diabhal Beag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 14,959
Army retired again. Much more influential second time around as a wise old head. Hope he enjoys retirement.
Diabhal Beag is offline  
(2) thanks from:
21-09-2018, 16:09   #12
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,529
Heard there is a financial scandal set to break in Galway GAA - any truth to it?
evolving tipperary is offline  
21-09-2018, 16:58   #13
Happyilylost
Registered User
 
Happyilylost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving tipperary
Heard there is a financial scandal set to break in Galway GAA - any truth to it?

If it was done in every county I think the same scandal would be in the news. Trying to get money collected at the gate of games into the coffers of the county board seems to very difficult in Galway!
Happyilylost is offline  
21-09-2018, 17:00   #14
TCDStudent1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabhal Beag View Post
Army retired again. Much more influential second time around as a wise old head. Hope he enjoys retirement.
Quality player. Was a bit unlucky the first time around as he ended up playing on a very poor Galway team. A few years ago, I suggested on here he would be worth bringing back into the panel and was slated for it. But I've seen him play so well so many times for Salthill, I thought he could offer something and he did. I'd have been inclined to try convince him for 1 more year. However, it may have been 1 year too much. I think he can leave this time knowing he has given it everything which I suspect admit the case the last time.
TCDStudent1 is online now  
21-09-2018, 21:39   #15
Happyilylost
Registered User
 
Happyilylost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDStudent1
Quality player. Was a bit unlucky the first time around as he ended up playing on a very poor Galway team. A few years ago, I suggested on here he would be worth bringing back into the panel and was slated for it. But I've seen him play so well so many times for Salthill, I thought he could offer something and he did. I'd have been inclined to try convince him for 1 more year. However, it may have been 1 year too much. I think he can leave this time knowing he has given it everything which I suspect admit the case the last time.

As you said he played in a period where Galway were quite poor. Will always wonder though if he could of stayed more injury free along with Mike Meehan could things of been better. Never forget that game against Down when the two lads went to town on them.
Happyilylost is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet