Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

U2 Joshua Tree Tour 2017 / 2019 **No Ticket Sales**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

The Nal wrote: »
    One of my favourites! One or two weaker tunes alright but some bangers on there. Pop aside, its better than anything they've released since.

Curious, which would you consider the 'bangers on there'?

I love U2, but I think Zooropa was my least favourite U2 album of all, mostly middling gash imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

daithi7 wrote: »
    Curious, which would you consider the 'bangers on there'?

I love U2, but I think Zooropa was my least favourite U2 album of all, mostly middling gash imho.

For me - the first 5 - Zooropa, Baby Face, Numb, Lemon and Stay are great tunes. I like some days are better than others a lot also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

For me - the first 5 - Zooropa, Baby Face, Numb, Lemon and Stay are great tunes. I like some days are better than others a lot also.

Same here. And Daddy Gonna Pay. One of their biggest bangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Nal wrote: »
    Same here. And Daddy Gonna Pay. One of their biggest bangers

unreal

Did they release any pro shot footage of that tour ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dont forget The Wanderer ,which is a gem,lyrically one of their best songs.

• Advertisement

Awsome, few cans and this would make a great night :D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I had the pleasure of seeing the zoo tv tour in the feyenoord stadium in rotterdam in May of 1993.

Friggin epic

OK, in fairness, I have to acknowledge that there's some quality there alright, I do like Baby Face, Lemon , Stay & the Wanderer.

For my taste, i just found too much dross on the album alongside these admittedly great tracks... and as a result overall didn't like the album.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I had the pleasure of seeing the zoo tv tour in the feyenoord stadium in rotterdam in May of 1993.

Friggin epic

Yeah, I saw them on that tour in Philadelphia, and I can safely say that it was the best concert I have ever seen by some margin - simply awesome.

Then later on the same tour I watched them play at the RDS in Dublin , and they had gone quite stale & tired on the tour imho.

sydthebeat wrote: »

Friggin epic

I saw them in Cork and I still think it was the best concert I have ever been at .
    It was like nothing I had ever seen before ,I was blown away .

Alot of the impact of the newer shows are spoilt by Youtube and the internet .
    You can watch the whole show in advance and as the band stick to a rigid format ,not much is left to surprise.

• Advertisement

I saw them in Cork and I still think it was the best concert I have ever been at .
    It was like nothing I had ever seen before ,I was blown away .

Alot of the impact of the newer shows are spoilt by Youtube and the internet .
    You can watch the whole show in advance and as the band stick to a rigid format ,not much is left to surprise.

The banning of mobile phones is just not possible in these times no matter how hard they try and force it at venues

Then we have those u2 megafan nutjobs who record everything too try and boost there own self importance in their community

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tritriagain

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The banning of mobile phones is just not possible in these times no matter how hard they try and force it at venues

Then we have those u2 megafan nutjobs who record everything too try and boost there own self importance in their community
    Yeah. The mega fans who leave early so the can get in line for the next night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Zooropa is a great little record.

Title track one of the most underappreciated things theyve done. It is right up there with the coolest ever U2 tracks. Lemon and Stay of course are timeless high watermarks for the band. Putting this record down about as dull to me as knocking all their records since.

Bar "Atomic Bomb" - that one just doesnt click with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

The future needs a big KISS....

No line on the horizon, absolute turd.

No line on the horizon, absolute turd.

Just goes to show that opinions differ. This is one I keep going back to.

Get on Your Boots is one of the worst songs they ever released .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,013 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Their last few albums have been genuinely embarrassing. Trying to sound like Coldplay and Ellie Goulding. Morto for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Wooderson

For massive band to subvert expectations/put out transformative material 40 years into a career is unheard of. The last 3 records are no Achtung or Unforgettable Fire, but what is? Posting stuff like "morto for them" about songs like "Love Is Bigger" "Moment of Surrender" or "The Troubles" - to name one from each of the last 3 - is a strange one. Classic U2 songs IMO. "The Troubles" could have been on any of their best records. "Embarrassing"? Mhmm okay don't think this band is for you, lads.

On the Metallica forum we were talking about what favourite songs we never heard live and i imagine a similar question could be asked here for U2 ???

Out of the 3 times i've seen U2 i have yet to hear 'All I Want is You' and 'Sweetest Thing (that's rare enough live this days). Happy enough with my u2 live experiences setlist, delighted i've heard 'Desire (Dublin night 2 2015), hearing the full Joshua Tree album live was special

On the Metallica forum we were talking about what favourite songs we never heard live and i imagine a similar question could be asked here for U2 ???

Out of the 3 times i've seen U2 i have yet to hear 'All I Want is You' and 'Sweetest Thing (that's rare enough live this days). Happy enough with my u2 live experiences setlist, delighted i've heard 'Desire (Dublin night 2 2015), hearing the full Joshua Tree album live was special

Lucky enough to be at slane when they played all I want is you which led into where the streets. It truly was epic. Check it out on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

• Advertisement

Lucky enough to be at slane when they played all I want is you which led into where the streets. It truly was epic. Check it out on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

yeah one of my favorite youtube videos truly outstanding

memory jumped up on my facebook

3 years today since that awesome night in Croke Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

memory jumped up on my facebook

3 years today since that awesome night in Croke Park

I got the same, incredible gig!
    The lads were on fire from the get go that night.

One of the best I've ever been to

I got the same, incredible gig!
    The lads were on fire from the get go that night.

One of the best I've ever been to

Yeah it was a great day, electric atmosphere in all the pubs on the way to Croker. Having NG as support was great and really shows the value of having quality support for outdoor gigs

What id give to have a day like that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

F*cking amazing!!!

At the same time I'm really depressed watching this , when will the next U2 or any gig we can attend happen!!??

yeah one of my favorite youtube videos truly outstanding

In tears here listening to that transition .... ****ing amazing .... wow wow wow wow !!!!!!

I love it !

Was there that night . I got a high with that transition that i never had before. Epic. Tears rolled down my face. Still gives me goosebumps. Also check out electric co. In Chicago. Towards the end of the song I think I'm just going to levitate . Amazing band live.

Was there that night . I got a high with that transition that i never had before. Epic. Tears rolled down my face. Still gives me goosebumps. Also check out electric co. In Chicago. Towards the end of the song I think I'm just going to levitate . Amazing band live.
    When was that Slane concert ?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

TomSweeney wrote: »
    When was that Slane concert ?

September 1st 2001, the same day Ireland beat Holland. A week after the first slane. Was at both! But yeah the second one was out of this world. And yep that transition is immaculate (although Please - Streets on Popmart was pretty close!)

• Advertisement

September 1st 2001, the same day Ireland beat Holland. A week after the first slane. Was at both! But yeah the second one was out of this world. And yep that transition is immaculate (although Please - Streets on Popmart was pretty close!)
    Yeah that's a good one, where Please -> Streets yeah ?

another great transition into streets ... .

Not in the same league to be honest!

I miss those long intros to The Streets

My favourite one would be the Zoo TV lead in from Running to Stand Still,its well over 2 minutes.

Streets is one of the best live tracks around, that transtion from All I want is you is epic

For the i&e tour it was zooropa with an EU speech by bono leading into it

Of course it kicked off the JT set and we had the fly over in Croke Park

God can't wait for u2 to play live again

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

As euphoric a build up live as any dance track you'll ever hear. amazing live song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

TomSweeney wrote: »
    In tears here listening to that transition .... ****ing amazing .... wow wow wow wow !!!!!!

I love it !

3 wows just isn't enough - spine tingling stuff.

I'll throw in A Mother and Child Reunion leading into Streets on I&e... The lads sure know what they are doing with that one!

It actually became an exciting transition on that tour as they used it for One and Bad aswell!

https://www.facebook.com/5678046685/posts/10158775492816686/

can't get into the buzz of this remastered waffle that bands bring out

I've dissapointedly heard pretty much all of the songs on this reissue years ago with the exception of remixes which I'm none too keen on.

I think they could have included a live concert that hadn't been released before, it would have helped. ATYCLB is a truly great album tho, so any late comers or new fans to U2 should love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I've dissapointedly heard pretty much all of the songs on this reissue years ago with the exception of remixes which I'm none too keen on.

I think they could have included a live concert that hadn't been released before, it would have helped. ATYCLB is a truly great album tho, so any late comers or new fans to U2 should love it.

I have The Joshua Tree 20th Anniversary Box Set from 2007 and The Unforgettable Fire 25th Anniversary Box Set from 2009. Love them both. I was living in Australia and backpacking etc the time the 20th Anniversary Box Set of Achtung Baby came out and I never got around to buying it when I had the chance. Maybe there will be something for the 30th anniversary next year. The box set seemed very big though, and as a result, expensive. I liked the medium sized nature of the 2 I have mentioned above, but it doesn't seem like they do them in that style anymore.

I'll probably get the ATYCLB one, as it's the first album by any artist I ever got, so the album has a special place in my heart. This was the time when I discovered U2. I'll get the CD box set though. The vinyl box set has the exact same material for double the price, and besides, I prefer to keep my vinyl collection neat, with just pure studio albums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭dasdog

I'm not a huge fan of U2 but Zoo TV was amazing - competing with Nirvana and early techno in 1993 - and when they were still creative. This gig in the RDS, which was far better than Slane or any of the four shows I've seen since was amazing stuff. I have respect and they can turn on the magic.

https://www.facebook.com/5678046685/posts/10158775492816686/

can't get into the buzz of this remastered waffle that bands bring out

I do love this version of Stuck, but heard it back when they released it on that US only "7" CD, around the same time as the album release. I'm not sure but it might have been free, or really cheap. Target had it, it had all the B sides. Always was on it too, great throwaway song.

Bono speaking/ranting/arselicking yesterday, I really wish he would stick to music instead of his pontification.

https://twitter.com/bethandbono/status/1305083768974258177

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭fafy

This is by far the laziest reissue the band have ever made.

The cardinal sin, was ripping the audio from the Boston gigs, which was widely released on DVD nearly 20 years ago, i am quite sure they recorded everything on that Elevation tour, and we get a rehash.
    Apart from the multiple remixes of Elevation & Beautiful day, which carry little, if any value, everything has been easily available for many years, on singles b-sides, the Complete U2 itunes collection, the soundtrack to The Million Dollar Hotel, or the previously mentioned Target “7” ep.

Its totally lazy, unimaginative, and a cash in. They are not even trying here.

The far superior Achtung Baby delux cd had early versions and demos of many tracks, that alone has value.

This package has nothing at all to tempt me, and a roughly €200 price tag on the 11 vinyl version, is beyond a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭flasher0030

dasdog wrote: »
    I'm not a huge fan of U2 but Zoo TV was amazing - competing with Nirvana and early techno in 1993 - and when they were still creative. This gig in the RDS, which was far better than Slane or any of the four shows I've seen since was amazing stuff. I have respect and they can turn on the magic.

I was at one of those shows in August 1993. Was kinda into U2 at the time. So the quality of the show was kinda lost on me. I really enjoyed it, but if I was proper into U2, would have relished it.
    Check out this setlist from one of those gigs. Unreal.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/1993/rds-arena-dublin-ireland-53d6fb3d.html

I see that the Experience + Innocence DVD has been kept as an exclusive gift for U2.com members only. This is very disappointing. Was looking forward to getting this DVD and putting it with the rest of the collection (Red Rocks all the way through to I+E Live from Paris). Do people think they will eventually put this on general sale? Seems odd not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭fafy

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I see that the Experience + Innocence DVD has been kept as an exclusive gift for U2.com members only. This is very disappointing. Was looking forward to getting this DVD and putting it with the rest of the collection (Red Rocks all the way through to I+E Live from Paris). Do people think they will eventually put this on general sale? Seems odd not to.

Where does it say it won’t be released ?
    I would think it will be released, but a version with more content, interviews, other tracks from the tour etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not really bothered as it is only a DVD. A bluray would be ok, but it's 2020 - It should really be a UHD Bluray. Given the level of tech usually associated with U2, it really is shocking that they are releasing it only in a 90's tech format..

fafy wrote: »
    Where does it say it won’t be released ?
    I would think it will be released, but a version with more content, interviews, other tracks from the tour etc.

Seems odd it hasn't been released yet. The tour finished almost 2 years ago now!

I'll deff buy it if it comes out and the band could make a few $$$ if they release it for the Christmas market

Don't really want to join the fan club again esp if there's no tour on the horizon

• Advertisement
Advertisement