Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norwegian air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Getting cash in is king...

Looks like BA is going to relocate its entire long haul business to LHR so there is a gap in the market. But given the circumstances Winter is coming and it won't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

But given the circumstances Winter is coming.

The night is dark and full of terrors?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Getting cash in is king...Looks like BA is going to relocate its entire long haul business to LHR so there is a gap in the market. But given the circumstances Winter is coming and it won't be good.

I'd rather not donate to keeping NAUK afloat, I reckon this is just a marketing scam... I looked at LGW to NYC in December, €178 one way.. but unless I plan on growing wings by then i'd say that the flights will all be cancelled closer to the time...

Maybe Whizz air will take the Norwegian slots and run a few transatlantic flights out of LGW using 321LR's or something...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Alex Macheras (@AlexInAir) Tweeted:
    Latest: Norway’s government has announced that Norwegian Air will not receive further financial support amid #COVID19 crisis ⚠️

The airline has responded by warning: “Without support, the way forward has become much more uncertain” https://t.co/J1KXpev505

A further blow, but I suppose there’s still the possibility of compensation from Boeing

• Advertisement

That is a signal to other operators that no resistance will be offered if they muscle in on Norwegian's operations. It is more a message to the market than to Norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Rawr

That is a signal to other operators that no resistance will be offered if they muscle in on Norwegian's operations. It is more a message to the market than to Norwegian.

Makes me wonder if this would trigger a proper return of Ryanair to Norway to capitalize on that. They've had a handful of routes out of OSL ever since they closed their base at RYG in protest to the environmental surcharges that Norway introduced.

In the years since, Ryanair has been operating their routes, but their marketing presence compared to before RYG's closure is practically non-existent. You'll only start to realize that Ryanair still flew to Norway by spotting them on a visit to OSL.

With Norwegian on the rock apparently, maybe Ryanair will think it worth their while to fill any possible vacuum...assuming the world has returned to some normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Whereas Bloomberg report that support will continue for domestic routes. Presumably this is similar to the Irish PSO routes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-09/norwegian-air-future-uncertain-after-government-declines-new-aid

basill wrote: »
    Whereas Bloomberg report that support will continue for domestic routes. Presumably this is similar to the Irish PSO routes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-09/norwegian-air-future-uncertain-after-government-declines-new-aid

They have an extensive Domestic network over here in Norway, but I'm not sure how many are PSOs. I know some of the more remote airports on the coast and up North have PSO routes, but they tend to be served with Turbo-props due to short runways. Typically operated by Widerøe.

SAS might have most of the Jet-based PSOs in Norway (don't really know)

Rawr wrote: »
    They have an extensive Domestic network over here in Norway, but I'm not sure how many are PSOs. I know some of the more remote airports on the coast and up North have PSO routes, but they tend to be served with Turbo-props due to short runways. Typically operated by Widerøe.

SAS might have most of the Jet-based PSOs in Norway (don't really know)
    Wouldn't turboprop be just as much for mountains and difficult approach as for short runway when talking about Scandinavia.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't turboprop be just as much for mountains and difficult approach as for short runway when talking about Scandinavia.

All true, especially out on the coast. Few of the regional airports are 737-friendly.

Makes me wonder if this would trigger a proper return of Ryanair to Norway to capitalize on that. They've had a handful of routes out of OSL ever since they closed their base at RYG in protest to the environmental surcharges that Norway introduced.

In the years since, Ryanair has been operating their routes, but their marketing presence compared to before RYG's closure is practically non-existent. You'll only start to realize that Ryanair still flew to Norway by spotting them on a visit to OSL.

With Norwegian on the rock apparently, maybe Ryanair will think it worth their while to fill any possible vacuum...assuming the world has returned to some normality.

This is exactly what Wizz air are doing in Norway at the moment!

Locker10a wrote: »
    This is exactly what Wizz air are doing in Norway at the moment!

Saw that in the local press here in Norway this morning.
    Apparently Norwegian are now in a price-war with Wizz and selling every single ticket at a loss :O

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Saw that in the local press here in Norway this morning.
    Apparently Norwegian are now in a price-war with Wizz and selling every single ticket at a loss :O

In fairness Norwegian have been selling every ticket at a loss for years!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't think Norweigen have ever sold a ticket at a profit.

I don't think Norweigen have ever sold a ticket at a profit.

Their original short haul euro routes were, they expanded too much and the low cost long haul was a flop

All those 787's need a new home, if Ryanair was ever going to make a go of it now is the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭jucylucy

I believe one of their B787s is due in Dublin for a repaint today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Norwegian's majority shareholders are now the lessors who they owed so much money to, so in a weird way the people who own the airline also own the fleet. Would be curious how things will end up, there's no shortage of new aircraft that haven't been taken up by their new owner due bankruptcy, or deferral. Just finding a home for these nearly new aircraft might not be so easy if traffic doesn't recover for 4-5 years as predicted. Then there's the fuel cost issue, if the price of fuel remains so low (again as expected) it might be cheaper for airlines to haul their already paid for or cheaper to finance 767s/777s/A330s out of storage and keep flogging them. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Having flown with them many times over the last 5 years, I have never been on a flight more than 50% full. If Ryanair were going to pick off some of their routes what would they take?

• Advertisement

jucylucy wrote: »
    I believe one of their B787s is due in Dublin for a repaint today.....

LN-LNX due in around midday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

To be painted for Neos.

Spotted this on the way to work here in Oslo.

533278.jpeg

The advert mostly brags about their carbon footprint and doesn't really mention prices, but this the first time I've seen Wizz advertise domestic routes in Norway.
    If they pull this off, it doesn't bode well for Norwegian :(

Spotted this on the way to work here in Oslo.

533278.jpeg

The advert mostly brags about their carbon footprint and doesn't really mention prices, but this the first time I've seen Wizz advertise domestic routes in Norway.
    If they pull this off, it doesn't bode well for Norwegian :(

https://newsweb.oslobors.no/message/518357

Trading of stock suspended apparently whatever that means !?

https://newsweb.oslobors.no/message/518357

Trading of stock suspended apparently whatever that means !?

Local press here in Norway are talking about it. Something about Norwegian asking for a trade suspension due to unusual activity with their stocks. Don't really know what that means myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Examinership for Norwegian Air International Limited (NAI) at Dublin.
    Norwegian announced that the airline has entered an examinership process in Ireland relating Norwegian Air International Limited (NAI), its wholly-owned asset company Arctic Aviation Assets DAC (AAA) and some of AAA’s subsidiaries.

"Norwegian has chosen an Irish process since its aircraft assets are held in Ireland," argued the airline in an announcement on the Oslo Stock Exchange.

The examinership process in Ireland is the equivalent of Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings in the United States, where the company continues to operate yet is protected from its creditors for the next 100 days. Norwegian believes it has enough cash to outlast the 100 days.

"It is important to note that due to the Covid situation, several transportation companies have initiated variations of such examinership processes with a positive outcome for customers, employees, shareholders and other stakeholders. Norwegian is therefore confident that it too will successfully emerge as a stronger and leaner airline ready to meet renewed airline travel demand in 2021 after the Covid pandemic subsides," read a statement by the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 VivaLasBegas

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

6 of their 787s sitting on the ground in SNN at the moment.

• Advertisement

2 737MAX in Dublin

Advertisement