Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

b757 wrote: »
    Yes, it’s a waypoint and the FAF/FAP for the ILS/RNAV/VOR approach for runway 28. Pretty much a 7.1 mile final.

It’s most likely a Ryanair that was offered it. It’s company policy not to take a direct to it due to the way it’s coded in the FMC. It doesn’t provide a deceleration profile (if using VNav) and some crews got caught out by it and had to go around. However, going to LAPMO fixes this issue and to be honest; there’s no time saved by going to MAXEV anyway.

Thanks for that info. Took me 2 reads to fully understand the info though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭1123heavy

Bleak wrote: »
    Thanks for that. So MAXEV is a waypoint? In layman’s term’s why is this offered and why would it be declined - often as “MAXEV is available”. I heard a flight earlier decline and say they were happy to go to LAPMO?

Just to add to what others said, there's also the possibility of being too high to accept it. Descent planning is such that most crews would try to stay high up for as long as possible (due to burning less fuel in the less dense air) and then essentially cut the power and come down in one go rather than descending earlier and levelling off throughout. Into Dublin you'd mostly plan on approaching from LAPMO, it could be that the crew had factored flying through LAPMO as part of their route, a direct routing to MAXEV cuts the track miles to land and gives the crew less distance to lose their altitude, so they may refuse the offer.

As mentioned, a direct to MAXEV can be negligible in distance/time terms depending on circumstances, for example if you approach from the east. If you approach from the north or south though flying the base leg all the way to LAPMO and then the extra few miles to MAXEV, it can make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

b757 wrote: »
    Yes, it’s a waypoint and the FAF/FAP for the ILS/RNAV/VOR approach for runway 28. Pretty much a 7.1 mile final.

It’s most likely a Ryanair that was offered it. It’s company policy not to take a direct to it due to the way it’s coded in the FMC. It doesn’t provide a deceleration profile (if using VNav) and some crews got caught out by it and had to go around. However, going to LAPMO fixes this issue and to be honest; there’s no time saved by going to MAXEV anyway.
    1123heavy wrote: »
    Just to add to what others said, there's also the possibility of being too high to accept it. Descent planning is such that most crews would try to stay high up for as long as possible (due to burning less fuel in the less dense air) and then essentially cut the power and come down in one go rather than descending earlier and levelling off throughout. Into Dublin you'd mostly plan on approaching from LAPMO, it could be that the crew had factored flying through LAPMO as part of their route, a direct routing to MAXEV cuts the track miles to land and gives the crew less distance to lose their altitude, so they may refuse the offer.

As mentioned, a direct to MAXEV can be negligible in distance/time terms depending on circumstances, for example if you approach from the east. If you approach from the north or south though flying the base leg all the way to LAPMO and then the extra few miles to MAXEV, it can make a difference.

Thanks for those excellent explanations. I'm not a pilot, just a long-time aviation enthusiast, but I really appreciate that sort of informative posting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hansanter

On the subject of navigation etc... can anybody tell me the purpose of the Glenteige and Wolftrap DME stations ? http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/IAIP_Frame_CD.htm

Thanks.. H./

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Phillip D

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on where you go. You are not giving a lot of information on which way you or someone you know wants to go. So earning potential really is unlimited but depends on lots of factors.

Say working for air lingus . Flying Airbus A320/321/330 I'd say max I would be looking at would be around 100k gross after 30 years on the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Phillip D wrote: »
    Say working for air lingus . Flying Airbus A320/321/330 I'd say max I would be looking at would be around 100k gross after 30 years on the job

All the info you could ever want is on http://www.ppjn.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭MoeJay

Hansanter wrote: »
    On the subject of navigation etc... can anybody tell me the purpose of the Glenteige and Wolftrap DME stations ? http://iaip.iaa.ie/iaip/IAIP_Frame_CD.htm

Thanks.. H./

They are used to supplement navigation by increasing the number of DME stations to enable more DME/DME fix capability for use in RNAV.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Area_Navigation_(RNAV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

How are ye finding having all this time on your hands?

Inquitus wrote: »
    How are ye finding having all this time on your hands?

No different from the rest of the population I believe, for me anyway.

I know colleagues using it to catch up on some housework, spend time with the family at home, those with more free time are doing everything from volunteering to learning a new language. Brushing up on some tech knowledge in between too.

And of course many are partial to the odd moan or two in whatsapp groups :D :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

1123heavy wrote: »
    No different from the rest of the population I believe, for me anyway.

I know colleagues using it to catch up on some housework, spend time with the family at home, those with more free time are doing everything from volunteering to learning a new language. Brushing up on some tech knowledge in between too.

And of course many are partial to the odd moan or two in whatsapp groups :D :rolleyes:

A lot of us, including myself, can work from home, so while it does mean more time with the family, I have to hide away to do my 8 odd hours of work a day.

Are the airlines supporting you with continued pay to at least some degree, or is this likely to cause financial hardship for pilots if it drags on too long?

Inquitus wrote: »
    A lot of us, including myself, can work from home, so while it does mean more time with the family, I have to hide away to do my 8 odd hours of work a day.

Are the airlines supporting you with continued pay to at least some degree, or is this likely to cause financial hardship for pilots if it drags on too long?

Regarding the pay bit, that very much depends on the airline. As I understand it, Ryanair have placed most guys on unpaid leave, Aer Lingus have cut everyone's pay by 50%, Stobart have put all but a very small number of pilots on unpaid leave, CityJet have put everyone on unpaid leave.

Open to correction on those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Fair play to EI for delivering PPE from China, but anybody delivering groceries? Whatever it takes to keep busy and help the community

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-british-airways-pilot-helps-during-pandemic-by-becoming-food-delivery-driver-11969256

Fair play to EI for delivering PPE from China, but anybody delivering groceries? Whatever it takes to keep busy and help the community

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-british-airways-pilot-helps-during-pandemic-by-becoming-food-delivery-driver-11969256

While admiral, it also shows a good sense of caring for his community. It is worth noting that he is likely on the lower end of the payscale and has many debts post his previous redundancy, so he is also trying to keep the lights on keep the wolves from his door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

How often do commercial pilots have to actually fly a real plane to keep current? Will we see planes flying circuits empty just to keep their licences?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hansanter

MoeJay wrote: »
    They are used to supplement navigation by increasing the number of DME stations to enable more DME/DME fix capability for use in RNAV.

https://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Area_Navigation_(RNAV)

Interesting... Many thanks MoeJay.

H./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

veetwin wrote: »
    How often do commercial pilots have to actually fly a real plane to keep current? Will we see planes flying circuits empty just to keep their licences?

In my company if a period of 30 days without flying elapses we would require either a familiarisation flight with a training captain or a session in the sim.

60 days without flying and you must do both.

We also require 3 takeoffs and landings every 90 days to remain current. That can be achieved in the sim but bashing the circuit might be an option we'll see used.

6 months without flying and you would potentially need to go through the type rating again before resuming line flying. Hopefully it doesn't come to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Wow that’s strict. We have 90 days, 6 months and 36 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

smurfjed wrote: »

same here

How long can you sustain yourselves while furloughed? The €305 a week COVID payment is a far cry from a Pilot's salary, I would imagine, have you had to consider the 3 month mortgage holidays proposed for workers in your situation.

Also as a follow up to the requirements to stay current, have your airlines offered to give you the required Sim and/or Plane time to make sure you meet the requirements?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Bleak

Can I ask what the first heading often given for eastbound flights departing Dublin on 28 or 10. Is it RULAD or RULAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Can I ask what the first heading often given for eastbound flights departing Dublin on 28 or 10. Is it RULAD or RULAT?

Close...RULAV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What sort of maintenance do the aircraft need when laid up at the moment. Would the engineers start the engines once a week or so? And will there come a point they need to be flown empty just to give them a proper run out.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What sort of maintenance do the aircraft need when laid up at the moment. Would the engineers start the engines once a week or so? And will there come a point they need to be flown empty just to give them a proper run out.

Probably cause to open a 'great big ask the engineer' thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I don’t think I’d trust a pilot that hasn’t flown in 89 days

I work in healthcare and carry out procedures every day. I was sick for 3 months few years ago and was nervous coming back

Close...RULAV!

Thanks. Any idea where about RULAV is? Irish Sea somewhere around LIFFY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Thanks. Any idea where about RULAV is? Irish Sea somewhere around LIFFY?

12nm SE of LIFFY on a bearing of 104 degrees.

RULAV is N5326.2W00510.0

All this time off and I just learnt how to find that out off the company ipad!

basill wrote: »
    12nm SE of LIFFY on a bearing of 104 degrees.

RULAV is N5326.2W00510.0

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

basill wrote: »

Don’t tell them that, it will get included into line training!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

adam88 wrote: »
    I don’t think I’d trust a pilot that hasn’t flown in 89 days

I work in healthcare and carry out procedures every day. I was sick for 3 months few years ago and was nervous coming back

Good thing you will have no where to fly to so!

Silly statement!!! :confused::confused::confused:

OK here's one for the technically minded pilot, please

What's the relevance of an obstacle in the TOFP (Take Off Flight Path), which is a 1.2% upslope plane from either the end of the runway, the end of the clearway, or the 35ft "screen height" (not sure) when the TOCS (Take Off Climb Surface) is a 2% slope and any obstacles infringing have to be declared?

The Type A chart shows the TOFP plane. I suspect this is something to do with single engine climb out

Could someone with the knowledge and competence to educate me please let me know

Thanks all!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Probably a dumb question. With so many pilots grounded for an extended period, when flights do resume will pilots just jump back in the hot seat or will you be required to do some tests etc?

If yes, does this cause a logistical nightmare with getting the industry moving?

Various governing authorities around the world have issued waivers for training currencies and medical expiries, these will probably allow most pilots to just jump back in the seats. Without these waivers they would all have to go through simulator training to maintain their currencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jordanfaf

I’m looking to transfer career paths from my current. And have always had an interest in becoming a pilot.
    I’ve done a few single prop lessons in Weston but nothing past that so far.

I have a bachelors degree in an unrelated field (architectural technology). Would I need to return to college to do a related degree?

Before I indulge myself any further I have a few questions regarding the process on becoming a pilot and the skills that are beinficial or required

1) Maths is not my strongest Skill. I’d need a calculator to do pretty basic stuff. Would this be a deal breaker or cause me to seriously struggle in getting licensed?

2) what would be the expected duration of training and rough costs in Ireland to get to a commercial level

3) are there any paths anyone would reccomemd besides commmercial flight (cargo, private charter etc?)

4) what is the day in the life of a pilot like?

Oh also I’m 5ft 5 male, are the days of minimum height requirement gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

jordanfaf wrote: »
    I’m looking to transfer career paths from my current. And have always had an interest in becoming a pilot.

I have a bachelors degree in an unrelated field (architectural technology). Would I need to return to college to do a related degree?

Before I indulge myself any further I have a few questions regarding the process on becoming a pilot and the skills that are beinficial or required

Hi there.

I'll give you a few answers from my experience. But first I'd say that you need to think long and hard about this before you commit. We're entering an enormous period of uncertainty generally and more specifically a big downturn in the aviation industry. Demand for pilot jobs is going to be down for the next 2 - 3 years.
    As for needing a relevant degree, absolutely not necessary. I have no degree, although I did train post secondary school for a practical job in the aviation industry. While a degree related to aviation would be nice, it would be very low on my list of steps towards a flying career. I work with people from all sorts of backgrounds. If you have the aptitude and perseverance you will succeed.
    Top of my list would be to get a Class 1 medical. If you had any known/unknown medical issue that would prevent you from obtaining a Class 1 then you will not be able to fly commercially so get that done before you potentially waste money elsewhere.

Your other questions:

1) Maths is not my strongest Skill. I’d need a calculator to do pretty basic stuff. Would this be a deal breaker or cause me to seriously struggle in getting licensed?
    Again not really a deal breaker. I wouldn't be the hottest with maths either. During your training you will need to use maths in the classroom and in the air but it's all fairly basic. You can use a calculator in the written exams but there are a few formulas to remember. In the air you need to be able to do some mental arithmetic to work out winds and holds but you get the hang of that pretty quickly. In real life in the airlines, the mental maths helps again for quick assessment of winds etc. but you'll find many guys taking their phones out because "there's an app for that" :pac:

2) what would be the expected duration of training and rough costs in Ireland to get to a commercial level
    Can't really help you there, I was lucky enough to get a place on a sponsored cadet scheme. Very roughly, if you go full time and do an integrated course it would take about a year and a half and I'd expect to pay about €100k.
    If you go modular, training in your free time whilst holding down a job, it will take quite a bit longer but will be cheaper. Check out www.afta.ie

3) are there any paths anyone would reccomemd besides commmercial flight (cargo, private charter etc?)
    My only experience is in commercial passenger operations. You could become a flight instructor, but that seems to rarely be a job for life. In this country jobs in cargo or private charter are few and far between but if you're willing to relocate then that might be an option.

4) what is the day in the life of a pilot like?
    On an early shift for a departure at 6.30am: you'll be up at 4am, in the Ops room at 5.30am. Print and review the flight plans, weather and Notams. On board the aircraft at least half an hour pre-departure. Fly the first sector. Turn the aircraft around and fly the second sector home. That might be it, or if it's a multi sector day you'll turn it around and do it all over again! Usually home by around 2 or 3 pm.

Oh also I’m 5ft 5 male, are the days of minimum height requirement gone?
    You're grand, that height won't be an issue.

Best of luck whatever you end up doing!

• Advertisement

jordanfaf wrote: »

A few other things to consider right now.

1. Look at the amount of airlines that have grounded 90& of their fleet and retired older types. Capacity will be greatly reduced for the next number of years.

2. Look at the amount of current working qualified pilots who are being furloughed.

3. Look at the guys and girls from the likes of WOW, Thomas Cook, FlyBe, Monarch, and so many others who are still looking for jobs

4. Look at the students that are already in the middle of their 18 month training.

5. If you do decide to do the training, you should have eyes very wide open. If and right now its a very big IF you get a job, its most likely to be someone big like Ryanair. There you are just a number. Pros and cons to working for them but thats not for this thread. Be prepared to be based anywhere in Europe with zero notice. So you need funds for that.

6. Speaking of funds, your training will be €80k, plus living expenses. Prepare for not getting a job for 1-2 years so have the ability to support yourself in that time.

7. Get your Class 1 medical before you invest 1 red cent into this career change.

I had the same idea. Failed medical! Stuck in chosen career!!!

Good Luck!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

I'm not to sure I'd agree with all the sentiments above.
    Yes there will be an excess of qualified pilots after some airlines shutter, but there has always been ebbs and flows.

With the time taken to reach atpl the entire landscape will have changed.

that is if the OP wants to get to that level. There are many commercial jobs without full atpl.

As for the cost, well I went the modular route ,and I worked part-time at my training school (In Oz) . Anything to get the cost down !

There is a lot to be gained by achieving your PPL (private licence) and this may give you a better idea of flying itself, it may even put you off !

propeller and glider aircraft will give you a great introduction for little cost.

I hope this helps, don't be put off by anyone or anything.
    And if you are any good at boiling a kettle, you could do worse than visiting some of the smaller airfields and chat to people in the cafe, there are many old duffers (myself) willing to give you a steer. EINC I'd recommend.
    See you there,
    Sys

(Tenger, I hope this post is on track, this is the route I took.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

that is if the OP wants to get to that level. There are many commercial jobs without full atpl.

Could you give a few examples of the commercial non-Atpl jobs?

Helicopter piloting is another option, if you have the “touch” for it. Very expensive to learn. I took two lessons in latter years after having some light single fixed wing experience. Found I quickly had the feel for it, but alas not the pocket nor health. Good to give it a try, very satisfactory when you find yourself doing it well, although I’m sure beginners’ luck was in my side.

Could you give a few examples of the commercial non-Atpl jobs?
    Off the top of my head :
    Flying Instructor, Ferry Pilot , Survey ops , Safety pilot , Maintenance testing , and I'm sure I'll think of more, I'm on my first coffee after a bank holiday ;-)

hth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Astral Nav

Off the top of my head :
    Flying Instructor, Ferry Pilot , Survey ops , Safety pilot , Maintenance testing , and I'm sure I'll think of more, I'm on my first coffee after a bank holiday ;-)

hth

Excepting the first job there are almost none of these in Ireland. Sadly instructing doesn't pay very much either although it can be enjoyable. Very view ways to make a decent amount without an ATPL and there's going to be a lot of unemployed ATPL holders for a while.

Astral Nav wrote: »
    Excepting the first job there are almost none of these in Ireland. Sadly instructing doesn't pay very much either although it can be enjoyable. Very view ways to make a decent amount without an ATPL and there's going to be a lot of unemployed ATPL holders for a while.

Would have to check the instructors hourly rate before commenting, it has been a long while....

I don't know of many pilots who get to operate from their homebase , in fact I'd say it is a given that one has to travel as a pilot ;-) (I do take your point though )

And I'd would say that all of those jobs exist, certainly safety pilot for Sunday fliers in Ireland.
    ferry work routes through Stornoway in Scotland, Survey is via the English companies with the fitted out 310's.

the main point to get across ,is that no one should hold off on their training based on a few internet posts.

it costs 10k to get your private licence here, which is attainable for a lot of people. so I really think spending 10 or more hours flying (€2500) will give you the best insight into a future career.

Do not be put off by others, per aspera ad astra.

the main point to get across ,is that no one should hold off on their training based on a few internet posts.
    So true, sure why would you bother listening to actual pilots who earn their living flying about the state of their industry, much better listening to a flying school salesman who will tell you that the world needs millions of pilots right now :)

If you can find ONE pilot who hasn’t had his/her life and career impacted by COVID, please let me know.

Helicopter piloting is another option, if you have the “touch” for it. Very expensive to learn. I took two lessons in latter years after having some light single fixed wing experience. Found I quickly had the feel for it, but alas not the pocket nor health. Good to give it a try, very satisfactory when you find yourself doing it well, although I’m sure beginners’ luck was in my side.

Got my PPL(H) in 2010. Very expensive and I went to the UK to do it.

Haven't flown in a heli since. Far too expensive here and jobs are even fewer.

So true, sure why would you bother listening to actual pilots who earn their living flying about the state of their industry, much better listening to a flying school salesman who will tell you that the world needs millions of pilots right now :)

If you can find ONE pilot who hasn’t had his/her life and career impacted by COVID, please let me know.

Should we all wait around for your 'go ahead' ? to start years of training.

flying school salesman..... yeah I'm just not to going to bite.

Quote: "If you can find ONE pilot who hasn’t had his/her life and career impacted by COVID, please let me know." -smart answer is Cargo, but really, is this relevant ???

I feel like you're out for an argument. the current pandemic is of course awful , I know as I work directly in healthcare.

I do actually enjoy being corrected as it usually saves me from a mistake, it is just I do not see why people are being advised against training , when training is a multi-year event , and getting some real world flying is far better than you or I pontificating on the internet.

caveat: all of this is of course just my opinion.

I do actually enjoy being corrected as it usually saves me from a mistake, it is just I do not see why people are being advised against training , when training is a multi-year event , and getting some real world flying is far better than you or I pontificating on the internet.

caveat: all of this is of course just my opinion.

For sure, there are lots of opinions out there and is anyone actually correct?

The only thing I say about training is that you do not walk out of flying school with your shiny new wings and into a job.

Maybe that first job will be with the likes of Ryanair on a shiny new 737, then again maybe it will be doing night mail flights on a Saab 340!

My point, and its one of several is that do not expect to walk into a great first job. Always have a back up and after you have spent 80k on training and more to live, you need to be able to support yourself for 2, maybe even 3 years before you get a job.

Annnnnnnnnd, if you are one of the x amount of new qualified pilots in the jobs market make sure your flying record is spotless and top marks in everything because all it takes is one black mark to have your CV put to the bottom of the pile when you are competing with 500 others guys looking for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Hello Pilot people :)
    First time caller here. I've a slightly odd question and hope some of you here may be able to contribute some info or direct me towards the relevant place for it.
    My partner and I are looking at buying a home in a new development in Portmarnock. Out of all the different concerns one has when making such a big decision, the biggest concern (especially for my partner) is the flight path and noise impacts for future children.
    I work in the industry and am all too familiar with that sweet sound :)
    But on 2 recent visits we experienced 2 approaches and the aircraft were low and it was loud. We know we'd adjust to it in time. But our concern is of a child playing out the back for a few hours. If this was a typical summer. June bank holiday 2019 for Dublin had 2890 movements over the weekend. That is a lot of aircraft. This area is beside Portmarnock train station. How low would you be on approach there or after take-off roughly? Power output at those times?
    Under new guidelines a creche isn't permitted for this development due to noise exposure.
    Sorry for long post. Hope I'm being clear with my question and our concern?
    Houses are solid and all other bits are workable. This however is a block for us.
    Many thanks for reading and any responses. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

The positives are aircraft will keep getting quieter.
    Hard to say what thrust/power will be there. Depends a bit on the company approach profile, but on approach probably 60% or less. On departure a lot more (85-100%) but the aircraft would be a lot higher as they climb much better than the normal approach angle.
    It’s going to take while (maybe 2 years) for the volume of traffic to get back to normal.
    I’m not sure on this but with the future layout of the airport (2nd runway open) I would image the current RWY will be used only for landings in a west config and only takeoffs in an east config (at least that would make sense looking at the airport lay-out, it being Ireland they’ll probably do something else).
    If that prediction is true that area could have 3 times more landing traffic than now as there is no need for a gap between aircraft to allow take offs. For East departures similar story, it would allow for a lot more traffic overflying that area...
    Above assumes a certain rwy use that others might know more about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Some more info here:

https://www.dublinairport.com/corporate/north-runway/about/frequently-asked-questions

Where you’ll find these statements that might affect you:

Option 7B is a preferred runway concept, which was agreed as part of the 2007 runway planning permission to lessen the impact of aircraft noise on local communities.

Mode of operation 7B provides that:

the parallel runways - 10R-28L (existing main runway) and 10L-28R (North Runway) - shall be used in preference to the cross runway, 16-34;
    In westerly operations, when winds are westerly, approximately 70% of the time, Runway 28L shall be preferred for arriving aircraft; either Runway 28L or 28R shall be used for departing aircraft as determined by air traffic control.
    In easterly operations, when winds are easterly, approximately 30% of the time, either Runway 10L or 10R as determined by air traffic control shall be preferred for arriving aircraft. Runway 10R shall be preferred for departing aircraft.

And:

Most of the time the two runways at Dublin Airport will be operated in segregated mode, i.e. one runway for all arrivals, the other for all departures. However, there will be occasions during peak hours when runways will need to operate in mixed mode, i.e. both runways used simultaneously for arrivals and departures. For safety and aircraft separation reasons, international standards for mixed mode operations require that aircraft courses diverge by at least 15°, approximately one nautical mile after take-off.

During the 2016 daa Consultation on Flight Paths and Change to Permitted Operations, feedback was received from the public which indicated that there is a preference for the scenario which involves: 'Straight out on south runway; split divergence of 15° and 75° on departures for North Runway depending on ultimate destination of the aircraft'. This preferred option has been shared with the IAA-ANSP (Air Navigation Service Provider), which has overall responsibility for airspace design.

Before any proposed flight path procedure and/or mode of operation can be finalised and implemented for North Runway, a comprehensive safety case and assessment will have to be completed by the IAA-ANSP which will occur before the opening of North Runway. More information on the outcome of our Public Consultations can be found here.

So as I said, when the new runway opens they’ll use the existing runway mainly for arrivals in west config and this would allow a lot more movements then are currently the case, so that could mean an aircraft coming over every 2/3min.
    In East config they’ll mainly use the existing runway for departures again creating more traffic over that area.

I don’t blame DUB airport for this though, it makes sense and is most efficient. The government shouldn’t allow new builds in that area. It doesn’t make sense to give permits. Personally I wouldn’t buy a house there unless it’s cheaper than other areas and has good sound proofing/triple glazing & mechanical ventilation so you can keep your windows&vents closed...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Alicano

Many many thanks Flyguy. That is a great piece of info for us to digest and look further into. I really appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my query. Cheers. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement