Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election Thread - Dublin West - SEE MOD NOTE IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

This should not happen no matter what side of the fence you are on

https://twitter.com/BrophyTomas/status/1219593302032470016/photo/1

Agreed.

A lot of posters were pulled down around Roselawn and Delwood on Friday night/Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

how is Coppinger, always somewhat ignored her but kudos to her for being at the FAI hearing and asking the questions. Is it Curry too, is she decent? Competitive area and indeed as a former FF, i find it difficult to consideer them now, will probably go Leo, i think his fairly decent, not sure of 2nd and 3rd though

how is Coppinger, always somewhat ignored her but kudos to her for being at the FAI hearing and asking the questions. Is it Curry too, is she decent? Competitive area and indeed as a former FF, i find it difficult to consideer them now, will probably go Leo, i think his fairly decent, not sure of 2nd and 3rd though

You slag Chambers for looking like ‘he is having great craic’ in the Dail and then say you will vote for Leo. Logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭A Knight of Ireland

Remind me wrote: »
    Agreed.

A lot of posters were pulled down around Roselawn and Delwood on Friday night/Saturday morning.

Yeah, I saw a good few SF posters torn down

Just on the whole postering of Dublin 15. I thought there were supposed to be guidelines about how posters are to be erected? It seems that there is a "Free for All" and "Anything Goes" when it comes to poster locations. Every candidate has put posters up in very dangerous plac es which is extremely irresponsible. And BTW.....Leo was the first to put them up around Dublin 15 in dangerous locations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Posters are supposed to be a minimum of 6 feet above the ground. I know someone who contacted Aontu about Edward McManus' posters on Hartstown Road as they're nearly on the ground they're so low. They replied and said they'd take care of them, so we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

Posters do seem worse this time than previous elections. Perhaps Leo's team getting caught putting up his illegally before the election writ was passed gave others the green light to ignore the rules.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You slag Chambers for looking like ‘he is having great craic’ in the Dail and then say you will vote for Leo. Logical.

Chambers or Leo. You're voting for the same nonsense. Neither seem to have an original thought in their head and are very, very managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Roderic O´Gorman is a top guy and very active locally. I hope he gets in
    Quick question. Would you not have expected catherine noone to do much better last time out getting Leo's transfers

During that campaign Catherine Noone never once bothered to update her website. Some stories about what she did around Dun Laoighre and not a single thing about Dublin West.

She pitched herself to the local FG organisers partly as FG had to hit a gender quota and shure select me, why not

I did see her and her team around Navan Rd many nights but I don't know about other areas.

She herself was shocked at her low vote and later put on twitter that Dublin West was very left leaning and she never had a chance sob. Was kinda of a bitter signoff, well goodbye so :confused: No thanks to the 1,000 plus who gave you a vote

Weepsie wrote: »
    Chambers or Leo. You're voting for the same nonsense. Neither seem to have an original thought in their head and are very, very managed.

My point exactly.

Chambers has had a good opposition portfolio in Defence because Paul Kehoe is very weak as Defence Minister and Chambers has constantly called him out and successfully raised the profile of the issues in the Defence forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Very managed would not be a phrase used for Varadkar, he never was, tends to be a more off the cuff than most others.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I will never vote for Chambers because of the stance he took in the Referendum and I just don't like him. He is of course entitled to his views but not for me. I can see him taking a seat though, due to the strong FF vote in Castleknock.

I'm struggling with my preferences though at this stage. I usually make my mind up the week of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

his like a big kid, even watching him in the dail and he looksas if he thinks its great craic, not a chance i'd vote for him

He’s like something from the 1950s, and is proudly against the right to choose. I politely called him out on it at his last canvass and he’s handler said ‘we’re not here to discuss that and off they went. Well they can f right off the next time to ring the bell

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Well managed is the last thing I’d call Varadkar, he shoots from the hip sometimes hitting himself in the foot. That said the concept of trading him for Martin who is FF back to Haughey and probably Eamon Ryan as Tanaiste....’cause that worked out well the last time. They were there for the crash, for the bank bailout, for the IMF coming in and the minimum wage getting cut...what are we like?

Rosser wrote: »
    He’s like something from the 1950s, and is proudly against the right to choose. I politely called him out on it at his last canvass and he’s handler said ‘we’re not here to discuss that and off they went. Well they can f right off the next time to ring the bell

Did he not quite publicly say he supported Repeal in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Did he not quite publicly say he supported Repeal in the end?

Doesn't matter, he voted against having a referendum in the first place. He only voted for the legislation when he realised that 74% of his constituents voted to repeal. One ass saving vote does not cancel out the heartlessness of aiming to deny people the right to vote. Hypocritical of a democratically elected representative to seek to deny a democratic vote.

Caranica wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, he voted against having a referendum in the first place. He only voted for the legislation when he realised that 74% of his constituents voted to repeal. One ass saving vote does not cancel out the heartlessness of aiming to deny people the right to vote in the first place.

I agree, on that matter I think all TD’s should have been in favour of holding the referendum and then they can vote how they want but there should have been no objection to holding it.

Well managed is the last thing I’d call Varadkar, he shoots from the hip sometimes hitting himself in the foot. That said the concept of trading him for Martin who is FF back to Haughey and probably Eamon Ryan as Tanaiste....’cause that worked out well the last time. They were there for the crash, for the bank bailout, for the IMF coming in and the minimum wage getting cut...what are we like?

A lot of money is being spent on Varadkar being managed badly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

AlanG wrote: »
    Posters do seem worse this time than previous elections. Perhaps Leo's team getting caught putting up his illegally before the election writ was passed gave others the green light to ignore the rules.

---

I'd say an awful lot of the posters are put up without any regard to the rules. According to Dublin City Council (http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-your-council-register-vote/election-postering), the rules are:

- Posters should be erected at a minimum height of 2.3 metres above footpaths, cycle tracks or any area to which pedestrians have access

- Posters should not be erected on lamp standards with overhead line electricity feed, traffic signal poles, bridge parapets, overpasses, pedestrian bridges, or roadside traffic barriers

- Posters should not obscure statutory road signs or traffic/pedestrian signals in any way

- Posters should be securely fixed to poles with cable ties or similar material to facilitate removal without damage to the poles

---

But now you get posters that are pretty much at head height or even ground level. There is also way too many of them, some kind of limit where you can only have 2 Chambers or 3 Coppingers every 20 metres wouldn't be too bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

• Advertisement

I hope it is disastrous for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Running in two constituencies is a real carpet bagger move. This reminds me of that time that TV hairdresser ran in the Dublin West bye-election after the death of Brian Lenihan. Came along to some public meetings at the time and spouted some nonsense and all but handed out vouchers for his business.

I'm delighted Peter Casey is running in Dublin 15. It'll definitely shake things up and our chance for some real change. I would rather he consentrated on D15 instead of both D15 and Donegal. It may be something that goes against him.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I hope it is disastrous for him

I won't be happy unless he gets so few votes that he loses his deposit.

I'm delighted Peter Casey is running in Dublin 15. It'll definitely shake things up and our chance for some real change. I would rather he consentrated on D15 instead of both D15 and Donegal. It may be something that goes against him.

It will make no difference to Dublin West because he still wants to represent Donegal if elected in both.

He is exactly type of politician I hope does not start emerging on the national stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The guy probably has never been here, he doesn't give a **** about it. It's a publicity stunt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I didn't say he was well managed, i just said he was very managed. Sometimes the shooting from the hip thing is not that at all, its ery obviously planned IMO but presented in a way to be just that. He's extraordinarily fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Apparently he wants to give people a chance to register a protest vote against Leo, which is bullsh!t because we already have plenty of candidates to vote for apart from him. And he has no intention of taking up his seat in Dublin West.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Casey is giving him a fantastic chance to get his fifth electoral failure on the same day as his fourth; saving him the wait til the next Seanad elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It should be illegal to stand in two constituencies as the possibility exists of a Dáil seat going unresolved.

"Mr Casey said that if he was elected in both constituencies he would chose to represent Donegal in Dáil Eireann."

'Vote for a man who will represent Donegal in the Dáil'.

Even if you subscribe to Casey's particular brand of ill-thought, self-absorbed, narcissistic cretinism - and you lived in Dublin 15 - why would you lend your vote to someone who acknowledges he won't be representing you.......?

Advertisement