Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

Where are all the bottle banks in the area please? My uncle just moved here and can't find any. Doesn't do social media I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

According to westmeath coco you've also got bottle banks at the fair green car park, coosan church and in the car park in connacht street - at the vet surgery. And there's some in dunnes stores montree

Fk me, the Athlone buses (diesel) went to Carlow town and this is the STARTING service from day 1

Meanwhile here we can't even use the bus for late night shopping on a Thursday

Best of luck to Carlow, nothing against the place, just frustrating to see its possible yet lacking here

In fairness it's a good schedule for carlow.

• Advertisement

Aye its a fantastic schedule, first bus 06:25, last bus 00:25

That's amazing! Lucky feckers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Why is there so many buses going to Carlow from Athlone? I presume it passes through a host of towns on the way and stops in each. 37 buses a day though seems mental

My bad, it's a local route in Carlow. I thought it was some new route between Athlone and Carlow. No more cans for me tonight

Was able to get a closer look at the new bridge

I won't know until I get to try it on a wet day but I've a feeling that metal surface is going to be lethal when wet

It'll probably be fine and I'm worrying over nothing

I see one of our electric bus had an embarrassing breakdown in the centre of town during the week. Not good for establishing a reputable and reliable bus service. But it's new technology and I guess we have to expect problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Bridge to open August 8 according to the Windo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

So like it or not, the new bridge is now a reality.

Talk now is of a name for it.

I only hope they don't name it after a person. Every second road or street in town is named after someone or other. Its so boring. Dr Jim Keane road being the latest. Who or what was his claim to fame??

Id love something named after Turley O Connor or Amby Fogarty to highlight a glorious time in the football team's history.

If we cant name it after a person, then maybe "Redundant Bridge"?

I think it's a great asset to take bikes off the main town bridge. Beats reducing the town bridge to a single lane to accommodate bikes.

Those would be interesting names to throw on it. Up there with the "Dessie Dolan" bridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Mary Ó'Rourke bridge must be the favourite if any bookie is running a book.

I'd prefer John McCormack myself.

John McCormack already has the college hall and a statue of him. Enough with John McCormack. Time to honour someboydy from the most recent 100 years.

Somebody more modern needs to be honoured. Im not sure if MOR is applicable, she lost 2 elections in her later career.

Can we not just come up with a name that people will use? No one, and I mean no one will refer to the bridge as "Mary O'Rourke Bridge". It'll be known as the bike bridge or the new bridge or something simple. This craic of naming things after people is done to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Actually, come to think of it "Boxer Bridge" has an alliterative quality to it.

How about "Jadotville Bridge" ?

The flood defence is the Boxers' Wall... who is worried about melting ice caps?Not athlone thanks to The Boxer.

The unity Bridge. Bringing Connacht and Leinster closer together. It cost us two mature trees. And the nation's tax payers 6 million!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Just call it Cromwell's Way....

Linking Hell and Connaught...

• Advertisement

Surely it being the new crossing, then "New Cromwells Way"

Because the old cromwell way didn't turn out so good

The new one will be better

How about "bellonyerbike" Bridge

It's got a nice ring to it...boom boom😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Can't call it the New Bridge, the bypass Bridge is still the New Bridge.

If my memory serves me correctly that bypass bridge was given a name.. something like " the shannon way bridge " or something equally ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Andy Myler bridge.

I would actually LOVE it if it got called after Andy. A great couple of seasons this man had with us.

#sellMcnevin

It won't be named after anyone living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Choochtown

"Jacksepticeye Bridge" has a ring to it.

Advertisement