Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycling the grand canal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Is there a Travellers mediation body of any sort, where this kind of thing can be sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

tnegun wrote: »
    I bet thats how they got in council will do f all :(

Council are usually quite good, at least in North Kildare but it takes time. Notice will need to be served, then there is a set period before it can be enforced etc.. at which point the guards will usually get involved to make sure that happens without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Harass your council and councillors. Don't know about SDCC, but Fingal have been receptive in the past. You need to concentrate on the mess that is appearing which the tax payer via Fingal will have to pay out to clear it up the longer it's left, as well as the damage to council property and anti social behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Called SDCC and they just put me through to the house dept. said they didn't know who should deal with it!

That's ridiculous, I suspect more so a reflection of person answering the phone. The litter warden would even be a better start.

• Advertisement

Anyone know what dept I should request?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone know what dept I should request?

Email your local TD :) It is parish pump stuff, but if you want something done...

Maybe call Traffic Watch too? 1890 20 58 05‬ or (094) 905 1131‬ or *(094) 904 9400

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

They were there in even greater numbers yesterday evening but gone this morning! I didn't take that path so I don't know what state they left it in.

I'm surprised they moved on so quickly. Great news. Hopefully the access point gets closed off.

All gone bar one this morning left their rubbish and a few bits around gate is still wide open so they left of their own accord by the looks of it.

• Advertisement

There's a roving group(s) around Dublin at the moment. I only saw another group being moved off yesterday by the council with photos being taken of the mess as they drove off. On the way past a couple of hours later I saw the council cleaning up all their ****. This is a regular spot and they **** it up every time they stop there. The place is destroyed, fencing etc damaged purposely by them, the cycle lanes in the area are now completely blocked by those big massive concrete blocks that has to be employed to prevent this, and yet they still manage to push some of them out of the way enough so that they can get back in again and destroy the place a week or two after the council, and therefore us, pay to clean it up.

Hurrache wrote: »
    There's a roving group(s) around Dublin at the moment. I only saw another group being moved off yesterday by the council with photos being taken of the mess as they drove off. On the way past a couple of hours later I saw the council cleaning up all their ****. This is a regular spot and they **** it up every time they stop there. The place is destroyed, fencing etc damaged purposely by them, the cycle lanes in the area are now completely blocked by those big massive concrete blocks that has to be employed to prevent this, and yet they still manage to push some of them out of the way enough so that they can get back in again and destroy the place a week or two after the council, and therefore us, pay to clean it up.

Are these people who have no homes, or people who decide to go on the vardo when the nice summer weather turns up?

They would appear to be.

Anyone know the purpose of the new drag strip/tarmac'd road across the green to the 11th lock? Theres already paved access across the same green a little further up so not sure what purpose this serves. Any one hear anything on the Hazelhatch section?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

Anyone know the purpose of the new drag strip/tarmac'd road across the green to the 11th lock? Theres already paved access across the same green a little further up so not sure what purpose this serves.

A nicer, smoother access path for the lads with their scramblers? :D

The only reference I found was from this article:
    ... Separately there will also be a new path from the Bawnogue Road to the Grand Canal path ...

It is strange with the other access path so near. Though this new one looks nice and wide. The more nice access paths the better, I think. Encourage more walking, running and cycling on this route.

You might have noticed the existing access gate was broken open last week. One morning it was wide open and bent out of shape. I read later that Gardai gave chase to some lads in a stolen car which ended up on the canal path next to the lock. Not sure if it was related to the gate smashed open - considering there is a wide opening nearby as the new access road is built.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/video-shows-3-people-lead-16539603

That looks like it alright, I was away last week so thought all debris around there was related to the new road. Hopefully its a positive thing but I think its completely unneeded the money could be spent on maintaining the existing paths/lights etc.

Was curious so I attempted the 4.5k from the 12th to Hazelhatch today definitely mountain bike only territory looks like the path was dug up to lay fibre and not reinstated properly and has been over grown. Which is a real pity as the surroundings are great and would make a much nicer route to the N4!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭feartheclaw

Hi all. Looking at cycling the canal from Dublin to Shannon Harbour this weekend. I see above that "mountain bike only" is recommended for some sections. Would it be ok to do it on a hybrid? Or any other updates on the route much appreciated...
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'm heading west tomorrow on the Grand. I'll be on my tourer with 'trekking' tyres.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'm heading west tomorrow on the Grand. I'll be on my tourer with 'trekking' tyres.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You heading out from the city centre or picking it up later on? All this talk of cyclists getting attacked has put me off the city section and was thinking that the best starting point to avoid that nonsense is probably here but it makes it more of a trek to the start.

No issue with trekking tyres and tourer I'd have thought unless, it's been raining heavily. Semi-slicks on the muddy bit make things quite tiring.

Riding out the Royal to Leixlip. Then cross country to pick up the Grand at Hazelhatch.

I suspect the rain will keep the demons at bay.

Biggest issue in the wet is my mudguards filling up and becoming brakes. One midwinter spin I had to clean out the mud with a spare spoke on a couple of occasions!

Riding out the Royal to Leixlip. Then cross country to pick up the Grand at Hazelhatch.

I suspect the rain will keep the demons at bay.

Biggest issue in the wet is my mudguards filling up and becoming brakes. One midwinter spin I had to clean out the mud with a spare spoke on a couple of occasions!

Is it that bad this time of year? Any reports on the current ground conditions would be great...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Is it that bad this time of year? Any reports on the current ground conditions would be great...

From my experience, not so much time of year as amount of rain over the past week or so. If its been dry you can ride it on most bikes quite quickly. It it's been wet, the mud can get very draggy in spots and your back wheel will have no traction on slick tyres. IMO, the CX bike with CX tyres is absolutely ideal for the canals.

T'was grand (and royal later). Got caught in one absolute downpour which took around 2 sec to go from dry to pissing down. Had a cape with me which took around 3 seconds to deploy and I carried on through the river that the road had become.

Surfaces were fine, you'd have no bother on road slicks for the most part.

The Royal on the way back was almost entirely paved/sanded. I had to bypass builder fences at Moyvalley and between Enfield and Kilcock.

T'was grand (and royal later). Got caught in one absolute downpour which took around 2 sec to go from dry to pissing down. Had a cape with me which took around 3 seconds to deploy and I carried on through the river that the road had become.

Surfaces were fine, you'd have no bother on road slicks for the most part.

The Royal on the way back was almost entirely paved/sanded. I had to bypass builder fences at Moyvalley and between Enfield and Kilcock.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like you avoided the worst of the rain as there was a couple of big downpours - did you go beyond Hazelhatch on the Grand?
    Trying to get an idea whats its like further along. Hopefully going whole way to Shannon Harbour if anyone has any info on the rest of the route?

I avoided the downpours while riding but I camped out overnight with a hammock and a tarp in the wind and rain without issue.

I joined the Grand at Hazelhatch and went west as far as Tullamore. There are places where you're pedalling through grass but it's pretty much passable all the way. Wider tyres are a boon as well as lower gears.

Best advice is try it and see how it goes. If necessary you can revert to road for some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Anyone had any issues on the grand from City centre as far as Hazelhatch? Planning on a spin this evening. I know there's the issue with the canal at suir Road right now, any anti social issues further along with the sunny weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Anyone had any issues on the grand from City centre as far as Hazelhatch? Planning on a spin this evening. I know there's the issue with the canal at suir Road right now, any anti social issues further along with the sunny weather?

Personally I wouldn't cycle Ballyfermot to past ParkWest after about 7PM, that's what I tell my boss anyway :pac: , after 8 it would be like The Purge

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

silverharp wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't cycle Ballyfermot to past ParkWest after about 7PM, that's what I tell my boss anyway :pac: , after 8 it would be like The Purge

Would be going along there between 6.30 and 7. Bringing a mate for the first time and don't want to turn him off it so might just take a different route.

Thanks!

Advertisement