Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

Did you ever think the parents might be responsible in any way? If not, I doubt your posts quite frankly.

We all need to have an open mind.

Unless the parents are the offenders. Which I don't know, then no they are not responsible for her disappearance just because they left the kids alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

bubblypop wrote: »
    A victim of a crime is never to blame, & yes her family are also victims in this case.

Not if they committed the crime..

Either way. Their responsible for the protection of their kids.

They failed to protect them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Trekker09

limnam wrote: »
    You seem to think if lots of people neglect their kids. it's fine.

Bizzare.

You seen to jump to conclusions.

Also bizzare.

Prey tell where i indicated that it's OK to neglect kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    Not if they committed the crime..

Either way. Their responsible for the protection of their kids.

There’s no evidence they committed any crime of any description. They’re not responsible for the disappearance of their child.

Do all parents of abducted & murdered children hold some responsibility? They failed to protect their children?

Trekker09 wrote: »
    You seen to jump to conclusions.

Also bizzare.

Prey tell where i indicated that it's OK to neglect kids

Sorry i had your words and another username in my mind.

As you were good man. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Did the driver intend to hit your child? Did he go out of his way to run over your child, or was it an accident?
    If it was an accident, then it is not comparable to the McCann case.
    If, assuming she did not disappear herself, someone was responsible for her disappearance, then it's fairly likely it was done on purpose, correct?
    Not the same situation.
    A victim of a crime is never to blame, & yes her family are also victims in this case.

Just wondered when the word "disappear" became a verb. I am sure you will tell me soon enough. Sounds like pre GFA to me but so be it.

Do all parents of abducted & murdered children hold some responsibility? They failed to protect their children?

No, just the ones that failed to do the basics and protect their children.

If they all fcked off to the restaurant drinking and eating while their kids under 4 were at home alone. Then yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Trekker09

splinter65 wrote: »
    My own neighbor was staying for a week in a very nice 4 star hotel in Crete ( she tells this story still 25 years later) and every day the tired the kids a boy and a girl aged 7 and 5 out to the extent where once they’d had their tea and a bath they were collapsing into bed at 7 to fall asleep and not wake until morning allowing my neighbor and her husband to get dolled up quietly and go down to the “posh” restaurant for dinner.
    The husband would pop up to the room between courses to check on them.
    Just tucking into the entree on the 4th night they were utterly mortified to see the porter weaving his way through the candlelit tables with a child by either hand looking shamefaced and wide awake. He’d apprehended them leaving to “go for a walk” right at the front door.

Now that is just damned scary.

When my wife and I used to go on holiday when the kids were small we'd book a place where we had plenty of room to sit out in the evening and have a couple of drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

If they left them unsupervised in an unfamiliar apartment in a foreign country, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Just wondered when the word "disappear" became a verb. I am sure you will tell me soon enough. Sounds like pre GFA to me but so be it.

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2013/08/disappear.html

American Heritage says the transitive “disappear” means “to cause (someone) to disappear, especially by kidnapping or murder.” Merriam-Webster’s defines it as “to cause the disappearance of.” Neither dictionary has any lexical reservations about the usage.

To disappear someone is wildly used when someone is forcibly dissapeared by someone else. Like the IRA used to.
    But if course you know exactly what I mean, not sure why you want to discuss English grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

When my wife and I used to go on holiday when the kids were small we'd book a place where we had plenty of room to sit out in the evening and have a couple of drinks.

As do the vast majority of responsible , sensible and loving parents

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    If they left them unsupervised in an unfamiliar apartment in a foreign country, yes.

Nope.

Really, for most rational parents, the bottom line is that they are your primary priority and responsibility when they are young.

They will grow up eventually whew. But whilst they are your kids of a young age you look after them and go on hols to places where you can sit on your terrace with the kids in their rooms behind you.

We have all done it, and with gratitude. Knowing they are safe and we can hear them.

• Advertisement

Nope.

So, do you think it's a normal thing that most parents should feel comfortable with doing? How long is it acceptable to live three children alone in apartment for? One hour? Two? Six?

Where would you draw the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,953 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

But isn't that the elephant in the room as it were ?
    No one knows whether Madeleine was abducted or not , or murdered , or wandered off .

Unless they are the abductor/s or murderer/s .

But if she was abducted/murdered , then yes , the parents share in the responsibility of that for the simple fact of leaving their children unattended . Imo .

This lady is a now retired primary school teacher who only had these two precious children after nearly ten years of trying.
    I know another lady now in her 70s who when she had 4 children took the same holiday rental house every year the same fortnight in Lahinch. The house was facing the beach in a terrace. The year they went when her youngest child was still a baby sleeping in a cot they just got up in the morning fed the children and left to troop across the road for a day on the beach leaving the baby to go back to sleep in his cot, alone upstairs in the house with the key in the front door so that his mam and dad could go back and forth during the morning to check on him.
    As the youngest he was forgotten and left and lost in beauty spots and tourist attractions and supermarkets and in airports all over the place for his entire childhood.
    He’s an electrical engineer.

To disappear someone is wildly used when someone is forcibly dissapeared by someone else. Like the IRA used to.
    But if course you know exactly what I mean, not sure why you want to discuss English grammar.

I did mention GFA, and you have said everything I thought. Thank you.

Anyway, not to have an argument, "disappeared" is not a verb here in the good ole Republic of Ireland. Well at least I have never heard it mentioned outside of the Northern Troubles. I know I am not alone there either. It has a certain connotation really.

So, do you think it's a normal thing that most parents should feel comfortable with doing? How long is it acceptable to live three children alone in apartment for? One hour? Two? Six?

Where would you draw the line?

I have already stated that it was very irresponsible, I believe everyone knows that.
    It doesn't make them responsible for her disappearance though.

• Advertisement

I did mention GFA, and you have said everything I thought. Thank you.

Anyway, not to have an argument, "disappeared" is not a verb here in the good ole Republic of Ireland. Well at least I have never heard it mentioned outside of the Northern Troubles. I know I am not alone there either. It has a certain connotation really.

Actually I spent time in the Balkans, & yes it is used there also in relation to persons who dissapeared during the war there.
    Anyway, completely off topic

I have already stated that it was very irresponsible, I believe everyone knows that.

Why not? If they were there with their children, on the balcony with a takeaway and bottle of wine, would the "disappearance" have happened do you think?

So you're admitting they abdicated their responsibilities as parents.

If the question is: "Are the McCann's directly responsible if Madeleine was abducted by a third party?" the answer is no.

If the question is "Did the McCann's negligence create the opportunity for Madeleine's abduction?" the answer is quite clearly yes.

Actually I spent time in the Balkans, & yes it is used there also in relation to persons who dissapeared during the war there.
    Anyway, completely off topic

You mentioned the verb "disappeared", no one else did. And you have actually correlated the word with conflict and war. Oh dear.

Why not? If they were there with their children, on the balcony with a takeaway and bottle of wine, would the "disappearance" have happened do you think?

Who knows.
    Maybe they could have been asleep in bed & it could have happened.
    Maybe it could have happened when she was at kids club.
    There were other kids left alone in the apartments that did not disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Took a while to get going but 4 episodes in its quite good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If the question is "Did the McCann's negligence create the opportunity for Madeleine's abduction?" the answer is quite clearly yes.

That is a different question, it does not make them responsible for the actions of any offender.

That is a different question, it does not make them responsible for the actions of any offender.

Not a different question, and in fairness you know this.

But I admire your tenacity. A bit like Theresa May at this point in time.

Some of us have to work in the morn, so bedtime for me.

It appears to me that people want to blame someone, which is human nature.
    In the absence of any evidence as to what happened to Madeline, many people want to blame the parents.
    The only thing we can all agree on is that the should not have left the kids alone. So many people seem to think it is somehow their fault.
    A victim is never at fault in a crime. The offender is always the person to blame. & that's it.

In the absence of any evidence as to what happened to Madeline, many people want to blame the parents.
    The only thing we can all agree on is that the should not have left the kids alone. So many people seem to think it is somehow their fault.
    A victim is never at fault in a crime. The offender is always the person to blame. & that's it.

You’re just wrong about that.

Let’s say John hits Peter and Peter hits John back. If John hits his head on the curb and dies, Peter is guilty of killing him.

But a defense lawyer can successfully argue that it was manslaughter or even self-defence because John threw the first punch i.e. the victim of the crime was also at fault.

• Advertisement

To be fair how could anyone blame the victim at all. No one would ever do that. You miss the point I think.

Since the offender is unidentified. S/he could be anyone. But I doubt it was a stranger myself. Just because of the unobserved monitoring of the babes really. That's all. It really was neglectful. IMO.

Most parents would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

bubblypop wrote:
    Unless the parents are the offenders. Which I don't know, then no they are not responsible for her disappearance just because they left the kids alone.

Irresponsible parents not responsible.

bubblypop wrote:
    , it does not make them responsible for the actions of any offender.

But they're behaviour allowed the actions of an offender, if there was one.

splinter65 wrote:
    But they weren’t left alone. They were being checked every half hour.

splinter65 wrote:
    This lady is a now retired primary school teacher who only had these two precious children after nearly ten years of trying. I know another lady now in her 70s who when she had 4 children took the same holiday rental house every year the same fortnight in Lahinch. The house was facing the beach in a terrace. The year they went when her youngest child was still a baby sleeping in a cot they just got up in the morning fed the children and left to troop across the road for a day on the beach leaving the baby to go back to sleep in his cot, alone upstairs in the house with the key in the front door so that his mam and dad could go back and forth during the morning to check on him. As the youngest he was forgotten and left and lost in beauty spots and tourist attractions and supermarkets and in airports all over the place for his entire childhood. He’s an electrical engineer.

You expect anyone to believe you when you stated the above about the McCann children being left alone. Zero credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Something Else
    splinter65 wrote: »
    This lady is a now retired primary school teacher who only had these two precious children after nearly ten years of trying.
    I know another lady now in her 70s who when she had 4 children took the same holiday rental house every year the same fortnight in Lahinch. The house was facing the beach in a terrace. The year they went when her youngest child was still a baby sleeping in a cot they just got up in the morning fed the children and left to troop across the road for a day on the beach leaving the baby to go back to sleep in his cot, alone upstairs in the house with the key in the front door so that his mam and dad could go back and forth during the morning to check on him.
    As the youngest he was forgotten and left and lost in beauty spots and tourist attractions and supermarkets and in airports all over the place for his entire childhood.
    He’s an electrical engineer.

l hope he doesn't read this and disown them .

Juwwi wrote:
    l hope he doesn't read this and disown them .

Honestly do you believe that rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I've tried my best to keep an open mind about this case. I'm watching episode 5 now and growing ever cynical.
    Can someone please explain to me why it was acceptable for the Rothley community to feel aggrieved by press intrusion but not the Praia da Luz community?
    The PR team supporting the McCanns also appear to be really horrible people.

You’re just wrong about that.

Let’s say John hits Peter and Peter hits John back. If John hits his head on the curb and dies, Peter is guilty of killing him.

But a defense lawyer can successfully argue that it was manslaughter or even self-defence because John threw the first punch i.e. the victim of the crime was also at fault.

Not exactly. This is an assault situation, but however, Peter is guilty of manslaughter, he is the offender. T he reason he is guilty of manslaughter & not murder is mitigating circumstances, it took place during an assault. Now John is the victim of manslaughter because he is dead. The offender is still guilty because he did not have to punch him back, but he did & then he killed him.

A more appropriate situation would be, if I was in my mother's house & i leave the front window open while I go out the back garden. If someone gets into my mother's sitting room through the open window, am I responsible?
    No doubt some victim blamers in here would think yes. They are wrong however, the offender is responsible. As in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Accident happened, parents hid body
    Not exactly. This is an assault situation, but however, Peter is guilty of manslaughter, he is the offender. T he reason he is guilty of manslaughter & not murder is mitigating circumstances, it took place during an assault. Now John is the victim of manslaughter because he is dead. The offender is still guilty because he did not have to punch him back, but he did & then he killed him.

A more appropriate situation would be, if I was in my mother's house & i leave the front window open while I go out the back garden. If someone gets into my mother's sitting room through the open window, am I responsible?
    No doubt some victim blamers in here would think yes. They are wrong however, the offender is responsible. As in this case.

Personally you would be responsible - which her parents feel no doubt.
    Your mother / family would blame you.
    In the eyes of the law, no.

But say you left a dog/cat in a hot car and it nearly died. Is it the suns fault or yours?

• Advertisement

You expect anyone to believe you when you stated the above about the McCann children being left alone. Zero credibility.

You can only speak for yourself. You don’t speak for anyone else. It’s neither here nor there, nor does it matter to me, wether you believe me or not. I, like you, am only here to give my opinion. Take it or leave it. You don’t have any more or less credibility then anyone else here. You’re an anonymous poster on a chat room forum. Everyone here is. I don’t think you understand that but that’s not a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Does anyone know if the McCann's have ever reached out to Robert Murat? His life has been destroyed and all he tried to do was help them.

Nobody knows what happened her.

But it was really foolish for the McCann's to not have seen that the public would turn on them.

Would you expect the world to give you sympathy of you left 10 grand sitting unlocked in your car only to come back and find it stolen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Do you lock your front door at night? If your housemate came home drunk one night and left the door open, and the house was robbed would you say 'ah, no worries. Not your fault at all...'

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the McCann's have ever reached out to Robert Murat? His life has been destroyed and all he tried to do was help them.

Nobody knows what happened her.

But it was really foolish for the McCann's to not have seen that the public would turn on them.

Would you expect the world to give you sympathy of you left 10 grand sitting unlocked in your car only to come back and find it stolen?

The McCanns didn’t do anything to Mr Murat. In the middle of their nightmare you want them to “reach out to him”? In what way?

As a parent you cannot protect your kids from everything.

What you can do is your best and act with their safety at the forefront of everything you do. Especially so young. Especially in unfamiliar surroundings.

Heading of to a restaurant drinking with your pals leaving the kids in unsecured apartment that has public access is the complete opposite of the above. Selfishness/carelessness/negligent.

If this was there only mistake and everything afterwards was them acting in the best interest of the kids. I could probably find a way to put it to one side. So many questionable actions after it that you at some point run out of passes to give them.

I don't know if they're involved or not, but there actions before and after are all wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I'm not sure if you just want to nit pick and argue with every comment that gets posted

I didn't say the McCann's did anything to him

I just wondered if they reached out to the innocent man that got sucked in to the shît storm and had his whole life ruined by the media when all he did was try to help translate.
    Their nightmare became a nightmare for him too

• Advertisement

splinter65 wrote:
    You can only speak for yourself. You don’t speak for anyone else. It’s neither here nor there, nor does it matter to me, wether you believe me or not. I, like you, am only here to give my opinion. Take it or leave it. You don’t have any more or less credibility then anyone else here. You’re an anonymous poster on a chat room forum. Everyone here is. I don’t think you understand that but that’s not a problem.

You have shown yourself willing to lie and twist the comments of others to to try and elicit an actionable response. As I said you have no credibility whatsoever.

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you just want to nit pick and argue with every comment that gets posted

I didn't say the McCann's did anything to him

I just wondered if they reached out to the innocent man that got sucked in to the shît storm and had his whole life ruined by the media when all he did was try to help translate.
    Their nightmare became a nightmare for him too

In the middle of their nightmare looking for their daughter under the glare of the entire world trying to deal with the bile and the death threats and the police Gerry should have said to Kate “Do you know who is the real victim in this? Not Madeleine not me not you not the twins. It’s that poor man Robert Murat. Let’s reach out to him to comfort him in his hours of agony”. Sure.

You have shown yourself willing to lie and twist the comments of others to to try and elicit an actionable response. As I said you have no credibility whatsoever.

You don’t have any more credibility than me. I can keep this up as long as you like.

splinter65 wrote:
    You don’t have any more credibility than me. I can keep this up as long as you like.

Yet I have not resorted to lying or twisting the words of others I disagree with, the fact I don't resort to your behaviour gives me credibility. Do as you wish you don't need my consent or permission. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Well, yes you are responsible if the window opening is large enough for someone to climb through. Most sensible people dont leave front windows that are visible from the road open, you sound quite lax about your personal security.

The Mc Cann parents are responsible for what happened, they were lucky enough to get away with taking chances with their childrens safety 99 per cent of the time but eventually their luck ran out. Hopefully other parents who left their children in holiday resorts learnt a lesson from this and either stayed in the apartment with their children or else paid babysitters to act in loco parentis.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement