Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All about the Vectrex

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ahhhh, stop making me want to spend more money.
    I don’t need a Vectrex!
    I don’t need a Vectrex!
    I don’t need a Vectrex!
    I don’t need a Vectrex!

Yes...
    You do...
    Everyone does...

Of the consoles of that era, it's the only one whose visuals remain sharp by their very nature.

Stramash Zone is great considering the limitations of the system but I agree battlezone would be incredible and sfrom the last pitrex image was playing fine albeit withoit sound and some wobble, the jib board makes it very easy to make up controllers and the atari trackball for the patriots/missile command works flawlessly without and mods needed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Stramash Zone is great considering the limitations of the system but I agree battlezone would be incredible and sfrom the last pitrex image was playing fine albeit withoit sound and some wobble, the jib board makes it very easy to make up controllers and the atari trackball for the patriots/missile command works flawlessly without and mods needed

You'll have to link me to that stuff.
    Jib board?
    Is that the one James Watt built?
    I've not got a Atari trackball, sadly....
    I would expect that a fully working Battlezone is only weeks away, so a green overlay and a working controller setup is a must!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I need to find a way to control Battlezone properly.
    I imagine it will be a Stramash Zone style solution, with an Atari-compatible stick in each port.
    Or maybe something else.
    Either way, it looks amazing, and a green overlay will complete the illusion of the original arcade title which, for me, is the holy grail for the Vectrex.
    How does Stramash zone play?

I'm really liking the look of vector patrol. Anybody here have it?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    How does Stramash zone play?

I'm really liking the look of vector patrol. Anybody here have it?

I don't know how Stramash Zone plays, apparently very well though it's still not Battlezone.
    James Watt is a remarkable developer for the system but he does sell his games and makes them in relatively limited quantities, not to enrich himself, he sells them at his set price, but on ebay they have gotten too pricey for me!

I have Vector Patrol and it's pretty great, another one to have to buy on cart as the dev hasn't released the bin.

• Advertisement

It's great considering the limitations of the system, it's slower than the original of course but a great achievement all things considered. Speaking of which currently playing protector using Victor's button stick, really plays far better, there's also button only versions of armour attack and mine storm ii alongside the official games which support it

IMG-20210320-211809.jpg

Check out this Gyrostronomy

http://eitidaten.fh-pforzheim.de/daten/mitarbeiter/johannsen/vectrex_lab/projects/project_x/project_x.htm

Really really fun, been playing the past few hours, gyruss homage game with power ups, shields etc

Some co-inkydink!

I just got an invoice for my copy of Protector/YASI from Packrat games!
    Only $35 shipped, not bad.
    Sadly, I have yet to get the button controller from Marland, I got him to build me a 2600 arcade controller instead!

Got to check out scramble running on 'speedy vectrex' on pitrex, makes an already great game even better, runs faster and smoother really is a game changer, sped up versions on other games on the latest image too Inc Web wars but too busy with scramble to try them yet :)

Got to check out scramble running on 'speedy vectrex' on pitrex, makes an already great game even better, runs faster and smoother really is a game changer, sped up versions on other games on the latest image too Inc Web wars but too busy with scramble to try them yet :)

I tried it out, I happen to have the Scramble overlay so it looked and played amazing.
    It might be a little quicker than even the original arcade game, but it's possibly an even better game, with the visual laying on the 80s futurism nice and thick.

The latest from Malban, the creator of the Baremetal images, is a whole revolution in how to use the Pitrex and could result in some seriously interesting applications going forward.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think i may actually prefer it than the arcade one now, latest image is incredible I've added red baron and it plays really great but not found the correct roms for battlezone or gravitar yet

Yeah I think i may actually prefer it than the arcade one now, latest image is incredible I've added red baron and it plays really great but not found the correct roms for battlezone or gravitar yet

I'm the opposite!
    I have Battlezone and Gravitar working, though with no sound, but Red Baron doesn't want to work with the set provided.

Gonna have to get me a PiTrex !!

Gonna have to get me a PiTrex !!

You can sign up for an alert from the Ombertech website, as to when it comes back in stock.
    It looks like they are getting closer and closer to an effective consumer release SD image.
    You'll still have to source rom files yourself, but after that it is a remarkable combination.

For me, having almost perfect Tailgunner and Asteroids, as well as homebrew of the quality of ZBlast and Vectorblade, it is worth the price of admission.
    I mean, most of us have a RPi0 lying around as it is, all you need is the PiTrex and a nano SD .
    Here's the link
    https://www.ombertech.com/pitrexdev.php

Also worth nothing that the current image also includes all official vectrex releases, some of malbans excellent titles (vectorblade/Karl quappe/release etc) sped up versions of some vectrex games and some demos too making it a no brainer really

You can sign up for an alert from the Ombertech website, as to when it comes back in stock.
    It looks like they are getting closer and closer to an effective consumer release SD image.
    You'll still have to source rom files yourself, but after that it is a remarkable combination.

For me, having almost perfect Tailgunner and Asteroids, as well as homebrew of the quality of ZBlast and Vectorblade, it is worth the price of admission.
    I mean, most of us have a RPi0 lying around as it is, all you need is the PiTrex and a nano SD .
    Here's the link
    https://www.ombertech.com/pitrexdev.php
    Excellent - signed up !

Also worth nothing that the current image also includes all official vectrex releases, some of malbans excellent titles (vectorblade/Karl quappe/release etc) sped up versions of some vectrex games and some demos too making it a no brainer really

Even if they never do anything else with it, it is already worth every penny.
    It's as good as any multicart, plus masses of bonuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

I've ordered a raspberry pi zero (and Pico for the lolz) from pimoroni in anticipation of the next batch of the pitrex being sold.

It's mad how the shipping costs more than the pi zero itself, quite awesome that they're able to manufacturer and sell it so cheaply!

Make sure you get one with the header pins presoldered or else get the pins and solder on yourself in prep

Make sure you get one with the header pins presoldered or else get the pins and solder on yourself in prep

I cheaped out as I have DIL headers to hand! :pac:

I usually solder my own arduino pro micro headers also.

Thanks for the heads up though!

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    I cheaped out as I have DIL headers to hand! :pac:

I usually solder my own arduino pro micro headers also.

Thanks for the heads up though!

Nice one forgot to mention it, useful to others I guess

New updates by malban, new img coming tonight/tomorrow , emulators now running at the correct speed and looking superb
    https://youtu.be/53YNip4UqFw

Not even boards nor the Vectrex group are safe from the Suez Canal memes! ;)

548297.jpg

Also this PiTrex Box Artwork looks rather nice!

548298.jpg

Pitrex available for sale at 22:00 utc today.
    https://www.ombertech.com/pitrex.php

Pitrex available for sale at 22:00 utc today.
    https://www.ombertech.com/pitrex.php

Yep- got the email - fingers crossed I get one !!

Yep- got the email - fingers crossed I get one !!

If you get one you won't be sorry

I'll report in later to say if I got one :D

Well, I believe they sold out in three minutes!

Managed to pay for one without the case after the one with the case said it was sold out after multiple attempts to load the page.
    I kept refreshing and submitting the form and eventually got it to checkout and paid with PayPal.

Still unsure if I actually got my Hands on the stock though?

• Advertisement

Same here - just got one without a case - their servers were hammered
    I must have had to refresh 50 times
    Hopefully it went through OK - PayPal went through anyhow

Advertisement