Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming DC Extended Universe (DCEU) Movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't care how much of an old fart this makes me sound, but there's no way in hell I'm taking a bunch of random brainfart twitter users at their word. I don't want Wonder Woman to be rubbish, but Twitter reactions are about as trustworthy as quotations on a movie poster...

Not at all! :P

For giggles I've checked out a few articles that mention critics that liked Wonder Woman and I did a bit of research into the opinions of the critics towards BvS to gauge whether they are slanted in a pro DC direction of not. Of the ones I could find here are the results:

Eric Esinberg gave it 2/5
    Mike Ryan hated it
    Erik Davis gave it 3/5. He tweeted - "BATMAN V SUPERMAN: Might be the first superhero movie to give me a hangover. Delivers on the promise of its title, but man my head hurts."
    Josh L. Dickey called it a dark mess
    Alisha Grauso tweeted the following about BvS - "Imagine knowing a literal burning garbage dumpster is better than Batman v Superman"
    Mark Hughes actually like BvS
    Chris Sylvia liked it too

So on the whole a sample size of the critics praising WW were either mixed or hated BvS.

Take from that what you want...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Fair play for putting that effort in techdiver, feeling more confident now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

techdiver wrote: »
    Not at all! :P

For giggles I've checked out a few articles that mention critics that liked Wonder Woman and I did a bit of research into the opinions of the critics towards BvS to gauge whether they are slanted in a pro DC direction of not. Of the ones I could find here are the results:

Eric Esinberg gave it 2/5
    Mike Ryan hated it
    Erik Davis gave it 3/5. He tweeted - "BATMAN V SUPERMAN: Might be the first superhero movie to give me a hangover. Delivers on the promise of its title, but man my head hurts."
    Josh L. Dickey called it a dark mess
    Alisha Grauso tweeted the following about BvS - "Imagine knowing a literal burning garbage dumpster is better than Batman v Superman"
    Mark Hughes actually like BvS
    Chris Sylvia liked it too

So on the whole a sample size of the critics praising WW were either mixed or hated BvS.

Take from that what you want...

Well... that's a little more hopeful :)

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Fair play for putting that effort in techdiver, feeling more confident now.

It's by no means scientific, but it does paint a more optimistic picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

My fear is that Wonder Woman is the first modern superhero movie to star a female protagonist and that creates a bias in itself. We almost need this to be good. Which means people may be more likely to review it more positively than they otherwise would. Which is almost a good thing, given how important it is for big studios to be pushed to promote more female leads. I just hope it doesn't result in many of us being tricked into seeing another shítty DC film.

• Advertisement

My fear is that Wonder Woman is the first modern superhero movie to star a female protagonist and that creates a bias in itself. We almost need this to be good. Which means people may be more likely to review it more positively than they otherwise would. Which is almost a good thing, given how important it is for big studios to be pushed to promote more female leads. I just hope it doesn't result in many of us being tricked into seeing another shítty DC film.

I was/am worried about that too. It would be natural to be concerned about being labelled anti-woman if you give it a bad review.

Hopefully it is treated in it's merits as opposed to anything else.

What gives me hope is that some critics that slammed BvS are heaping praise on WW, not just giving it a begrudging thumbs up. Anyway, we'll see in a couple of weeks what transpires. I really want it to be good too, but if it is good I think that really puts sharp focus on Snyder and Justice League, because if that's another dud, the DCEU will lose any momentum it would have achieved with a well received Wonder Woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be honest it wouldn't take much to be better than anything released so far in the DCEU and if it's been compared to just those movies I'd still be a bit wary of the reviews.

If they start comparing it to the better superhero movies outside of the DCEU then I'll start to take a bit of notice.

Going by some of the controversies in the lead up to release such as the think thin and shaved arm pits debacle, I don't think there's any fear that critics and the twitterati will go easy on it. If anything no mercy will be shown at the first sign of an open wound.

I suppose the only recent comparison is the Ghostbusters reboot. It got 73% on RT with only a 54% Audience Rating.

It was claimed that critics were afraid to give it anything worse due to it being an all female ensemble.

techdiver wrote: »
    I suppose the only recent comparison is the Ghostbusters reboot. It got 73% on RT with only a 54% Audience Rating.

It was claimed that critics were afraid to give it anything worse due to it being an all female ensemble.

Not surprising. Any time I said I wouldn't be seeing it, I was called a sexist. I just didn't want to see a film that looked shítty...

• Advertisement

Going by some of the controversies in the lead up to release such as the think thin and shaved arm pits debacle, I don't think there's any fear that critics and the twitterati will go easy on it. If anything no mercy will be shown at the first sign of an open wound.

I think any mistreating of the character as a woman would definitely result in people going mad about it but, short of that, I think there'll be a lot of politeness. I also don't think there's any danger of that though, which is a positive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair to those who rabidly defended Ghostbutsers 2016, the opening salvos in that whole idiotic mess came from the internet knuckle-draggers who ripped the film to shreds before it came out; all the 'OMG PC correctness gone mad, SJW are emasculating our manliness blah blah blah' comments or organised hate-tweets sent to its cast.

There was a crazy hateful response to an all-female cast, and it didn't surprise me that in response you got those too eager to overlook the film's obvious deficiencies, if for no other reason than as a F-you to those who had ... well, tbh, acted like utter cretins. The factions that sprung up over a studio blockbuster was ridiculous, but hey, this is the Internet circa 2016-207 for you.

Nobody came out looking good, but it had a starting point for sure. Even Sony didn't win really, given the films under-performance.

I think any mistreating of the character as a woman would definitely result in people going mad about it but, short of that, I think there'll be a lot of politeness. I also don't think there's any danger of that though, which is a positive.

It depends on what is interpreted as mistreatment. We're getting a Baywatch film which is seemingly unashamed in its presentation and more than that, people don't seem to be bothered by it.

If I see WW getting grief over the odd idiotic camera positioning while Baywatch coasts by on "good will" and not taking itself seriously while-also-having-its-cake-and-eating-it-too, I'll despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Aye I only realised that little bit after posting. For once I hope I can take these early reactions at face value.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't you like BvS? I could have swore you said before that you did.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but didn't you like BvS? I could have swore you said before that you did.

I do but I expected more based on the early reactions. It's hard for me to deny now that the waters have calmed that they took an idea that should have been simple in execution and made it bloated.

I still very much believe in the dceu and will always go to these minds with a positive and open mind. I want them to succeed.

I do but I expected more based on the early reactions. It's hard for me to deny now that the waters have calmed that they took an idea that should have been simple in execution and made it bloated.

I still very much believe in the dceu and will always go to these minds with a positive and open mind. I want them to succeed.

I'm the same to an extent. I enjoyed BvS to an extent, but knew there was a lot wrong with it. I didn't think it was as bad as many made it out to be, but I definetly recognised that they made a complete mess of some of it.

I think the extended cut improves on the plot holes, but there was still something missing.

I'm the biggest Superman fan there is, ever since the age of 3. My biggest gripe by far is that despite the gloomy montage sequence of Superman saving people etc, there was no great set piece where Superman got to be.... well Superman. I want to see Superman save a group of school kids from a perilous situation or stop a dangerous criminal. Something that the original Superman movies did so well. In both MOS and BvS the only time we see Superman doing Superman stuff is in the final sequence.

No its absolutely fair to say it could have and probably should have been better than it ended up. I just thought from the way you were commenting earlier that it sounded like you had given up and gone down the whole it's the worst movie ever made route.

Anyways positive stuff although I only know one name in that list of critics so we'll see how this goes. Not long now at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It depends on what is interpreted as mistreatment. We're getting a Baywatch film which is seemingly unashamed in its presentation and more than that, people don't seem to be bothered by it.

If I see WW getting grief over the odd idiotic camera positioning while Baywatch coasts by on "good will" and not taking itself seriously while-also-having-its-cake-and-eating-it-too, I'll despair.

Ah now that's whataboutery :) nobody's even pretending Baywatch is representing anything, except perhaps that weird sub-genre of 90s-TV rebooted into crass hollywood comedies. The only thing offending me about Baywatch is that apparently mainstream 'comedy' equates to endless ball-sack jokes.

But by all accounts we're talking about the first female-led superhero film during this genre renaissance that arguably started back in 2000. On top of that you have a hero already established as something of a female role-model, so yeah, I can totally appreciate why there'll be a more critical eye given to any missteps in tone or representation. Especially after the mess that was Harley Quinn, where one of DC's more complex antagonists was reduced to a damaged-goods baby doll.

So the Justice League has had extensive reshoots with some reports claiming the film has essentially been made twice.

So expect at the very least three releases Original/Extended/Director cuts on DVD/Blu Ray etc for DC/WB to cash in on.

So the Justice League has had extensive reshoots with some reports claiming the film has essentially been made twice.

So expect at the very least three releases Original/Extended/Director cuts on DVD/Blu Ray etc for DC/WB to cash in on.

And the ensuing arguments that "no, I swear it all makes sense if you watch the extended and directors cuts on the bluray. In THAT context, it's actually not that shit!"

Ugh...

• Advertisement

It actually makes me uncomfortable to think of how big the budget has surely become. Between this and King Arthur costing 200m, what WB are doing should be criminal.

It actually makes me uncomfortable to think of how big the budget has surely become. Between this and King Arthur costing 200m, what WB are doing should be criminal.

Any idea what the starting budget was? It'd be interesting to know what it's ballooned to and what they would need to make to consider it a success...

Even if WW comes out and is a great film and hailed as the saviour of the DCEU the JL could kill whatever momentum and goodwill WW brings.

Even if WW comes out and is a great film and hailed as the saviour of the DCEU the JL could kill whatever momentum and goodwill WW brings.

That's true. And their next film is Aquaman which, by the looks of his characterisation so far, will probably be an awesome film for 16 year old boys and no one else, so that could further dampen things.

The Flash movie seems to be going through directors at an ironic pace so there doesn't seem to be much confidence around that one. And then there's the Cyborg movie... *sigh*

And the ensuing arguments that "no, I swear it all makes sense if you watch the extended and directors cuts on the bluray. In THAT context, it's actually not that shit!"

Ugh...

Doesn't look like that was the case at all. Untwist the knickers.

http://movieweb.com/justice-league-movie-reshoots-whats-really-happening/

Can I just say that I stand corrected on King Arthur. I just saw it there and while I think it was risky so much money into property no-one really asked for, it was a lot of fun.

Doesn't look like that was the case at all. Untwist the knickers.

http://movieweb.com/justice-league-movie-reshoots-whats-really-happening/

Hardly a case of twisted knickers to have a calm conversation about genuine sounding rumours. The trailers for this movie already show a level of pandering that I'm sure will be doubled down on in the final cut.

Hardly a case of twisted knickers to have a calm conversation about genuine sounding rumours. The trailers for this movie already show a level of pandering that I'm sure will be doubled down on in the final cut.

Sure.

Anyway this appeared online days ago and was debunked almost within hours.

Pandering? :pac: Damned if they do, damned if they don't with some aren't they. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I really hope The Flash film does succeed in finding a director at eventually gets going on production.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I really hope The Flash film does succeed in finding a director at eventually gets going on production.

I'm guessing it will be pushed back at this stage. It's set for March 2018 isn't it? Very little hope of that now.

All the set backs to Flash and the Batman will probably mean very little from DC next year. Aquaman seems the only one on track at the moment.

Advertisement