Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Best Superhero Film Actor!

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Kevin Conroy

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That must be the most exciting tie we've had in this tournament as Kevin Conroy comes back from 3-1 down to secure a spot in the grand final in dramatic fashion.

Now to determine who he will face as we present our second semi-final...

Chris Evans (Captain America: The First Avenger)

36190303civilwar-cap1-1461261116473_large.jpg

VS

Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool)

ryan-reynolds-official-deadpool-costume-tease-1436647779615_large.jpg

It's Chris Evans, star of The Avengers and the Captain America movies, taking on Ryan Reynolds, star of this year's Deadpool movie.

Which performance do you prefer? First to 5 votes will reach the final.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Chris Evans

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The two of the are perfectly cast but I'll edge it to..

Chris Evans

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Ryan Reynolds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

RR cos he's 4 to Evans 2(King, mute pool, lantern and pool v flame and cap)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

As much as I love Reynolds, Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ryan Reynolds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Ryan Reynolds, gave his Deadpool no hope and was chuffed to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ryan Reynolds

• Advertisement

Ryan Reynolds edges a close contest to take his place in the final.

We now have our two finalists and I will shortly post up the details of the final battle. Stay tuned. :cool:

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

And then there were two...

We started this tournament with 64 of the finest superhero actors around; and now, several weeks later, we have found our two finalists who will clash to determine who shall be the forum's number one.

Like previous tournaments, to ensure as much involvement as possible, in this final we will have a 24 hour time limit for receiving votes. Simply put, the superhero actor with the most votes by this time tomorrow will be our winner!

(Note - as usual, in the event it's a tie after the time limit expires then I will do a Ceann Comhairle job and cast a vote to break the deadlock.)

So then, let us take a closer look at our two actors...

Kevin Conroy (Batman: Mask of the Phantasm)

Path to the Final

Rd 1 - Defeated Andrew Garfield
    Rd 2 - Defeated Chris Hemsworth
    Rd of 16 - Defeated Ben Affleck
    Q-Finals - Defeated Wesley Snipes
    S-Finals - Defeated Robert Downey Jr.

VS

Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool)

Path to the Final

Rd 1 - Defeated Jim Carrey
    Rd 2 - Defeated Ron Perlman
    Rd of 16 - Defeated Chris Pratt
    Q-Finals - Defeated Michael Keaton
    S-Finals - Defeated Chris Evans

It's the iconic voice actor of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Kevin Conroy, taking on the film actor who helped make Deadpool a smash hit, Ryan Reynolds.

Two critically acclaimed performances, but there can be only one winner. And so it's over to you - which actor deserves the title of superhero forum favourite?

Cast your vote now within 24 hours of our final deadline which will be officially Thursday, July 14th, 11:00 p.m. The actor with the most votes when the time limit expires shall be our champion.

So, folks, for the final time in this tournament: cast your votes now!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ryan Reynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 60,291 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ryan Reynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Kevin Conroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Two worthy champions
    One of live action and one of animation but the competition is for best film actor
    Mr Ryan R Reynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

Kevin Conroy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I'm playing Arkham Knight at the moment and Conroy is on top form in that but Ryan Reynolds was made to play deadpool. His delivery is fantastic and he seemed to live the character somehow. As such Reynolds gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Kevin Conroy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Kevin Conroy hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd gladly see either of these guys win it, and this has been a cracker of a competition (as always, great job Mr. Nice Guy).

For my vote I think I'd have to give it to Kevin Conroy - he is and always will be my Batman and the fact that a voice actor has managed to beat out such worthy competition is the clincher for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Reynolds all day long....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Kevin Conroy. So many great moments from TAS to the Arkham games, the guy has been top of his game for decades. Hell, they've tried retiring his portrayal beforw only to bring him back due to massive fan demand. To have that kind of staying power playing one character is quite simply awe inspiring.

One of my favourite moments is TAS's loose adaptation of Mad Love, I'll never forget Conroy's delivery of Batman's mocking laugh. Just one example of many showing how he was born for the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'll have to plump for Reynolds - I knew he could do a great Deadpool if he was let off his leash but he topped my expectations fantastically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Ryan Reynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

To make it 7-7 Reynolds ...I know its too late

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Ryan Reynolds... what a movie Dead pool proved to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

Ryan Reynolds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

RR

• Advertisement

Folks, we began this tournament seeking to discover who the Superhero forum felt was the number one film actor.

64 actors were entered and eventually we found our 2 finalists. Now it is time to crown the one you have deemed to be the one that stands above all others, and that actor is...

Ryan Reynolds!

ryan-reynolds-official-deadpool-costume-tease-1436647779615_large.jpg

Reynolds takes the triumph in what proved a fitting finale that at times looked like it could go either way. In the early stages Reynolds took the lead but Conroy fans kept pegging the score back: 2-0 to Reynolds became 2-1; 3-1 became 3-2; 4-2 became 4-3.

Then something of a surprise: Conroy got level with Reynolds and eventually took the lead, 5-4. Reynolds then levelled it: 5-5. But Conroy took the lead again - 6-5 now. Would the iconic voice actor take the glory? Not if the Reynolds fans could help it - a late surge of Ryan Reynolds votes would turn the tide and give the win to the Deadpool star. It finished up 11-6 for Reynolds. And so it's congrats to the Reynolds supporters, while the Conroy fans can be at least comforted by a great showing from their guy.

Had I been called on to give a vote in the event of a tie, I would have been conflicted as I am a fan of both men's performances; but like many people Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman to my ears and so childhood nostalgia would have tipped me Conroy's way. Having said that, I do think Reynolds is a good choice for the win and I can't bemoan the result.

That then brings this tournament to an end and I felt this one got really good near the end with some exciting finishes. Thanks as always to everyone for participating.

What's next?

The fact I named this tournament Best Film Actor probably gives away what I planned to do next: let's turn the spotlight on the TV Actors.

Grant Gustin, Linda Carter, Adam West, Melissa Benoist, Stephen Amell, Bill Bixby - and let's not forget our beaten finalist in this tournament, Kevin Conroy, should all be strong contenders battling for that award.

Add in there quite a few of the cast of the Power Rangers, Heroes, Agents of Shield, among others and we could see some fun dark horse contenders emerge also.

Here's to some more fun and agonizing decisions to be made in the next tournament I hope to run: Boards Best Superhero TV Actor.

I'll look to kick that one off next Monday, 18th July. Hopefully you'll stop by for that.

Cheers once again.

P.S. Nice to see Marvel getting a rare moment of joy in one of our tournaments. :cool:

Advertisement