Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Eod100 wrote: »
    That seemed inevitable. Not sure why tour to Australia hasn't been cancelled yet tbh.

Once it’s cancelled people are eligible for a refund. Guess that’s the reason why Champions Cup is still postponed as opposed to cancelled for now despite the French clubs season being confirmed as over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

clsmooth wrote: »
    Once it’s cancelled people are eligible for a refund. Guess that’s the reason why Champions Cup is still postponed as opposed to cancelled for now despite the French clubs season being confirmed as over.

Ah yeah, that makes sense but even if they postponed it. No chance of it going ahead in July. I'm not sure how they plan to play 6N, July and November series before end of the year. Guess 6N would take precedence. The other one or 2 could fall by the wayside I think.

jacothelad wrote: »

The Bank apologized and admitted wrong doing? It's the courts who won't annul the subsequent bankrupcy. Were there other debts?

The judge seems to be suggesting that the plaintiff should take a separate action for damages which they likely will do. The plaintiff bares some responsibility for not checking her bank account also.

Maybe it's an unpopular opinion but banks in Ireland are very accommodating in comparison to plenty of other g20 countries when it comes to personal mortgages and arrears. It's remarkably difficult to lose your home.

Completely off topic either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

In this case I think BOI didn't help but based on the below it looks like something dodgy was going on.

When she sought to be adjudicated a bankrupt she believed she owed Bank of Ireland some €171,000 on foot of loans. Her then home was valued as being worth €73,000.
    She also had additional debts of €66,000 owed to Revenue and another bank.
    Ms Dennis claimed that had she had all the relevant information from Bank of Ireland in October 2017 she would not have sought to be adjudicated a bankrupt.

These case are awful but really you need to read the full story. How can you not realize for so long your repayment are too high?

I am not sure but wasn't most of these cases with PTSB and not BOI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I am not sure but wasn't most of these cases with PTSB and not BOI?

Only the PTSB tracker mortgage ruling was published, the others haven't been released yet/adjudicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Just my 2 cents but when it comes down to PTSB vs BOI I think BOI has a bit more heft behind it so it would probably be more capable of making the step up to playing at international level than PTSB right now. Though PTSB is younger so it does have time to build up some of the bulk that is needed to make the step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://youtu.be/OXeOMKpa6CY

An under rated Irish performance against the All Blacks which is not widely talked about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

PTH2009 wrote: »

An under rated Irish performance against the All Blacks which is not widely talked about.

Watching that match in the middle of the night, believing so hard. Owens ****ed us imo, twice. Saying we'd signalled for the kick, then not giving us the penalty at the scrum in the end.

Edit: giving NZ the scrum at the death as well

Overshadowed by the 60-0. I felt like we had won when Dagg got that yellow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

I was lucky enough to go to the three matches on that tour. After this one I was so sure we'd have them in Hamilton... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Loved that series. The arrival of The Bus in the first test. I must have received over 100 text messages during the second half of the second test. It felt like nearly every Irish person I knew wanted to get in touch. The girlfriend (now wife) even got out of bed to watch the last 20 minutes. Then all week at work everyone was talking it up, feeling pretty confident about the 3rd test. Funnily enough, no one was replying to my texts during the 3rd test and the missus went back to bed after the first 20 or 30 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Loved that series. The arrival of The Bus in the first test. I must have received over 100 text messages during the second half of the second test. It felt like nearly every Irish person I knew wanted to get in touch. The girlfriend (now wife) even got out of bed to watch the last 20 minutes. Then all week at work everyone was talking it up, feeling pretty confident about the 3rd test. Funnily enough, no one was replying to my texts during the 3rd test and the missus went back to bed after the first 20 or 30 minutes.

I got married the day of the 60 nil. Pretty much everyone at the wedding would have got up that morning to watch. Bloody NZ trying to ruin my day.

I can't recall much of that 2012 series tbh . The buzz of Chicago 2016 and Dublin 2018 would of been much different if we got something that year

I can't recall much of that 2012 series tbh . The buzz of Chicago 2016 and Dublin 2018 would of been much different if we got something that year

A glass half full take on having the opportunity to beat the AB in NZ :D the scrum we got penalised for for crabbing across was the real kicker. Would have been a chance for Sexton to put us in the lead. Would have been a tricky kick mind you

clsmooth wrote: »
    A glass half full take on having the opportunity to beat the AB in NZ :D the scrum we got penalised for for crabbing across was the real kicker. Would have been a chance for Sexton to put us in the lead. Would have been a tricky kick mind you

Sexton and crucial kicks against the All Blacks

Where have I heard that before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nobody can match PTH to cheer up a forum during a pandemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,826 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Don't forget to stop at 75 for anyone watching this now.. :P https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1263564119204139009

Don't forget to stop at 75 for anyone watching this now.. :P https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1263564119204139009

Ah yeah the 75 min rugby match

Game got abandoned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Ah yeah the 75 min rugby match

Game got abandoned

And because more than 60 minutes had been played the result stands

those last few mins were cruel and something very minor would of turned over possession to win the game for us but sadly wasant to be . Sextons kick was very unlucky

players like Darcy, BOD, POC, Bowe must of been more downhearted as they never got the chance to beat the ABs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

those last few mins were cruel and something very minor would of turned over possession to win the game for us but sadly wasant to be . Sextons kick was very unlucky

players like Darcy, BOD, POC, Bowe must of been more downhearted as they never got the chance to beat the ABs

I've sometimes wondered whether we too disciplined. Given the momentum NZ had maybe it needed someone to kill the ball, even if it meant giving away a penalty, even a YC might have been worth it.

Easy with hindsight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Philip Browne telling the media that the IRFU stands to lose €20m if the postponed 6N games and the AIs don't go ahead and that they will run out of cash if rugby doesn't restart. They could lose €30m if next years 6N doesn't go ahead or €15m if its played behind closed doors.

bilston wrote: »
    I've sometimes wondered whether we too disciplined. Given the momentum NZ had maybe it needed someone to kill the ball, even if it meant giving away a penalty, even a YC might have been worth it.

Easy with hindsight.

I guess you have the potential defending a 5m line out with 14 men happening in that case and then us wondering why player x didn’t trust the defensive system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Advertisement

Rugby finally some RUUUUGGGGBBBBBYYYYYYY

Browne's stents about the IRFU's finances and the state of club rugby make for some troubling reading. We all knew that sports would be badly affected by the lockdown and it looks like the IRFU will be down €20m for the season even if the 6Nations is completed behind closed doors.

The build up threads are going to be f***ing nuclear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clegg wrote: »
    Browne's stents about the IRFU's finances and the state of club rugby make for some troubling reading. We all knew that sports would be badly affected by the lockdown and it looks like the IRFU will be down €20m for the season even if the 6Nations is completed behind closed doors.

Leinster missing out on full houses in Aviva is a €2m loss at least. Push empty grounds across the 4 provinces and your looking at €5m minimum

Ireland v Italy is probably worth €5m alone. Not sure how insurance works for this, but i wouldnt expect it to cover the full amount. I expect the wage deferrals announced 6 weeks ago to become straight up wage cuts for the players who earn more the 30k [was that the figure they announced as unaffected]

No AIs will be another major blow to the finances

De Allende and Snyman will probably be the last big name signings the provinces make for 2-3 seasons at least.

• Advertisement

If no exemptions are available for sport, Irish Rugby is going into a very tricky spell

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1263870063347675137?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's not expected to be a long term measure.
    The regulations will be signed by Minister Harris and will come into effect from Thursday, 28 May. They will remain in effect until 18 June, when they will be reviewed.

Buer wrote: »
    It's not expected to be a long term measure.

Wouldnt be surprised if it does get extended later into the year.

Also F1 are trying to host 2 grand prix in late july/early august in Silverstone and govt guidelines there are 14 Day self isolation upon arrival in UK. It does not apply to ROI but that would mean the Italians and SA in pro14 would face difficulty getting to play in Wales and Scotland. Also the French playing in Champions cup would be impacted.

A 2nd wave in autumn in any one of the European rugby countries could be disastrous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    If no exemptions are available for sport, Irish Rugby is going into a very tricky spell

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1263870063347675137?s=19

I take it that people like HGV drivers bringing in goods etc are excluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Wouldnt be surprised if it does get extended later into the year.

Also F1 are trying to host 2 grand prix in late july/early august in Silverstone and govt guidelines there are 14 Day self isolation upon arrival in UK. It does not apply to ROI but that would mean the Italians and SA in pro14 would face difficulty getting to play in Wales and Scotland. Also the French playing in Champions cup would be impacted.

A 2nd wave in autumn in any one of the European rugby countries could be disastrous

I don't buy the second wave notion, it doesn't seem to have happened anywhere else as of yet, some country's have even gotten rid of the virus altogether albeit smaller less globalised ones then ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't buy the second wave notion, it doesn't seem to have happened anywhere else as of yet, some country's have even gotten rid of the virus altogether albeit smaller less globalised ones then ourselves.

Not sure where to start with this.

The second wave is not a notion. It's what will happen if too many restrictions are lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

https://www.newstatesman.com/world/asia/2020/05/how-singapores-second-wave-exposing-economic-inequalities

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I take it that people like HGV drivers bringing in goods etc are excluded.

They are yes

I dont believe the virus has gone away. And all it takes is one outbreak in northern Italy or south wales to scupper pro14 fixtures and possibly the 6n

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I dont believe the virus has gone away. And all it takes is one outbreak in northern Italy or south wales to scupper pro14 fixtures and possibly the 6n

Its effects are certainly being felt less, numbers are consistently down yet in the area where i live, large groups have been out for weeks on the street having massive bingo game, drinking sessions and bbqs with zero social distancing being observed. I think the worst is over at this point and baring a dangerous new strain mutating from the existing virus all should be back to normal sooner then we fear, here's hoping anyways.

• Advertisement

Its effects are certainly being felt less, numbers are consistently down yet in the area where i live, large groups have been out for weeks on the street having massive bingo game, drinking sessions and bbqs with zero social distancing being observed. I think the worst is over at this point and baring a dangerous new strain mutating from the existing virus all should be back to normal sooner then we fear, here's hoping anyways.

Well the medical people suggest we will have to live with this for years to come. I guess it all depends on whether we get spikes in cases.

I thing the big problem for Ireland is going to be pubs. If there is still any covid19 in the community, that's when it will spread.

I can also see stadiums not allowing alcohol to be sold in the short term if crowds do return before 2021

Leinster missing out on full houses in Aviva is a €2m loss at least. Push empty grounds across the 4 provinces and your looking at €5m minimum

Ireland v Italy is probably worth €5m alone. Not sure how insurance works for this, but i wouldnt expect it to cover the full amount. I expect the wage deferrals announced 6 weeks ago to become straight up wage cuts for the players who earn more the 30k [was that the figure they announced as unaffected]

No AIs will be another major blow to the finances

De Allende and Snyman will probably be the last big name signings the provinces make for 2-3 seasons at least.

I think the same. We're going to see a lot more inter provincial transfers over the coming years and provinces relying on their academies much more.

Clegg wrote: »
    I think the same. We're going to see a lot more inter provincial transfers over the coming years and provinces relying on their academies much more.

I'd love to see a draft

Maybe its not even a virus, I've long thought this all seems more like the work of ancient Sumerian Warlocks. I mean come on - batsoup? More like bat**** AMIRITE!

The reason there hasn't been second waves in many countries is because of the huge effort to contain the virus. There is absolutely no reason to just presume the virus can't again accelerate through the population unless you have some insight that has escaped the medical community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I don’t think there’ll be big money signings anywhere for a while. Unless one of the clubs get a private benefactor, and now would be the ideal time for someone with the means to do that to make a huge difference (maybe Bristol can capitalise)

But if there isn’t someone who finds a bunch of investment, then there’s nothing to say a “big money” signing will just be making less next year. And if the Southern Hemisphere are hit worse than the Northern Hemisphere then who is to say there might not actually be more players that the provinces can attract rather than less. Especially if private clubs in England/France are absolutely smashed by this period and the 6N/AIs can be completed, which would see our provinces in a far far better financial position.

If overseas signings to Europe DO suddenly slow down a lot, then that absolutely does benefit the provinces hugely and it would be the ideal time to get aggressive on moving players around. Especially given the quality sitting at 3rd/4th string in pretty much every position at Leinster

I'd love to see a draft

Can't see the provinces agreeing to that, especially Leinster. Provincial loyalty is a bit cliché at this stage, but fans want players from their province lining out every week. And players want to play for their province. I wouldn't want to lose that.

Also, there's simply a disparity in the quality of the schools and academy system. Leinster is the largest province with the best schools and coaching set ups. They're going to produce the most quality young prospects year on year. Leinster would cry bloody murder if they weren't allowed have first pick on taking them into their system. Might be that the IRFU tells them to pick 2 or 3 that they definitely want in the system, but the rest will.be up for draft.

Andy Friend had a good discussion I think last season. He said in Aus they had Waratahs who had loads of young players, they moved the players around but if they became top internationals they would have chance to move back to Lesinter

This might help player who grew up all their lives wanting to play for Leinster. Let them move and then they have option after 3 years to move back.

Just an option I thought worth exploring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Andy Friend had a good discussion I think last season. He said in Aus they had Waratahs who had loads of young players, they moved the players around but if they became top internationals they would have chance to move back to Lesinter

This might help player who grew up all their lives wanting to play for Leinster. Let them move and then they have option after 3 years to move back.

Just an option I thought worth exploring

They do that anyway. Get the game time show themselves off and head back if they're contacted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yep that's exactly what happens anyway... Fionn Carr, Mick Kearney, Cian Kelleher. If Leinster are interested they're offered a contract, unless the suggestion is that they should be made move back if Leinster want them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They do that anyway. Get the game time show themselves off and head back if they're contacted

Wasn't that the original deal when Carbs went to Munster? He'd have to option to come back after 2 years (Prior to him deciding to extend his stay)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement