Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭AJ1

Or Frank Clarke who kept you talking so much you didn't notice how much of a balls he made of your haircut 'till you got out:rolleyes:

Who remembers 'Oasis' it was a youth club organised by the born again Christians - we used to endure the lectures half-way during the evening so we could get back on the computer.

Or the P&R down the Rugby Club:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

FirstIn wrote: »
    Before it was the Shopping Basket it was Loves Supermarket. Remember that? Wasn't there a pet shop around the back of it!

When Hills sold petrol on the mainstreet, wasn't it maxol and free a nipper days. My old man always said his car ran really bad with it, said it was russian petrol! He always bought it so it couldn't have been all that bad!

Wasn't the Shell station called Pattersons, we always referred to it as that. A bloke called Billy O'Brien had a car repair place there and then the Shell station was run by Leonard's and there was a tyre place at the side.

Pattersons was and still is in Delgany. The Shell in Greystones was originally owned by Watson & Johnson's. The reason they had that second petrol station was because they were the Main dealers for Morris and Austin. In those days Lincoln and Nolan assembled Austin and Brittains assembled Morris, and they would not let you show both makes in the same premises. So supposedly Austins were sold from the Shell and Morris was sold from the main garage opposite the park.
    Paschal Keogh then bought it and that was when Billy O Brien rented the workshop. After Paschal went Ru Leonard ran it but he passed away suddenly.

sagat wrote: »
    That is so wrong! :)

I didn't think Joe's machines allowed such things to happen.

Remember the Circus used to come to town and would plant itself behind the Beach House, perfect spot parents would dump there kids by the tent with a roll of pound notes and head straight in for a pint. One year some circus was down by the south beach where the playground is now and it had everything including tigers in cages.

And before that the circus was always in the Arch field (the soccer pitch ).
    I remember also going to the Mc Fadden's road show in the Arch Field and then going to Pennycooks for chips. Do you remember when Joes was owned by Stan Carlisle and he had Penny slots on the wall outside.
    Then Stan Acheson bought the Anchor as it was called and he had a Juke box and football tables inside. Mrs Somers worked in the shop part.

Josie Martin had the Barbers shop and Mick Keating had the bookies but in between there was a little shop that sold jewellery and odd bits run by a lady. John Ledwidge ran a bookies in behind where Joker's (Comino's ) chipper is now, the entrance was through the passageway beside the Chipper.
    Does anyone remember the cake shop opposite St. Killian's hall where Tina worked ,Sharavogue it was called. It later became a chipper. On the other side up the road from Killian's hall there was a clothes shop too.
    Remember Gethings sweet shop where the upholstry shop is now opposite where Moran's fish shop was. Also where Declans Barbers shop is there was a chemist there.

Does anyone remember when the Woodlands was the Clyda hotel owned by the Carmodys ?
    Killincarrig had 3 shops, Bridgie O Brien's and Clarks which was in Irish O Cleric and down the hill where the 2 large new houses are now there was a clothes shop owned by an O Brien family.

• Advertisement

Tom Kilbride built and ran the shop at Grattan Park where Donnybrook Fair now has a shop, then "Cactus" Dunne ran it. then it was owned by a family whose son was drowned off the harbour at Greystones, after they moved on Pat Flynn bought it.
    In Blacklion there were 2 shops, Condells where the chemist is now and McKenzies was in a galvanised roofed shop under the road in what would now be Hassets yard, Then Peter Breen bought it and eventually built the shop where Hassets is now. Bernie Burke owned it after Breens and Bernie ran a great business there.
    The 2 butchers shops in Greystones were Fenelon's and Fox's. Fox's was where the new Morans fish shop is now and next door was Fenelon's where the Credit Union is now.

I remember Fallon's shop, it was a sweet and newsagency and they had a fish and vegetable shop beside it also. And a Mr. Farrelly ran the paper shop in the train station for years.
    The Copper Kettle owned by the Finnegans was a very upmarket cafe where the gentry went, they also made lovely chocolate eclairs. Remember when Nikki Cox took it over and had it as a regular cafe with fish and chips.

The Hotels of Greystones long ago.
    Clyda Hotel (Woodlands), Railway Hotel (Burnaby), Seapatrick Hotel ( Greystones Nursing Home), Grand Hotel ( La Touche) Whites Hotel on site where St. Bridgets Primary School is now. Trenarren Hotel (opposite the Centra at the Ormonde, now apartments) Cliff House Hotel on the Greystones side of Bray Head.

Can anyone remember Mc Farlands where the AIB bank is now ? also what was the name of the grocery shop where O Briens off licence is now.
    Stanley Stores where Fenton Fires is now

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

sagat wrote:
    That electrical shop that took 2 weeks to do a little soldering job, I always assumed it was a front for some nefarious activity.
    exactly!!
    sagat wrote:
    Graham Spurling in a silk dressing gown running with a fire extinguisher.
    :D:D:D

The dodgey self service laundry place down the lane O'Briens off-license blocked off
    The height of fashion in Bells

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jabba90

shopping basket????.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

xshayx wrote: »
    The dodgey self service laundry place down the lane O'Briens off-license blocked off

I had forgotten about that and the field behind for a handy shortcut.

Pixbyjohn you have memories of Greystones going back long before my existance. Can you tell me what occupied the site of St Davids prior to the construction of those ghastly building? and was there always so few pubs in the village? even before the Byrnes if there ever was such a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Pony rides in the field behind Sweeneys where the apartments are now?
    When St Kevins was, like, huge even though it was less than half the size it is now?
    My memory of the lane out the back of St Kevins was spending as long as possible walking down it on the way back from confession on the last friday of every month. (although I do accept that there were some kickings engaged in there as well)
    Does anyone remember the notorious Brother Floyd?

Anybody got and Retro photos of Greystones?

Derek Paines books. At least one is still in print and can be got in Mooneys

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Pony rides in the field behind Sweeneys where the apartments are now?
    When St Kevins was, like, huge even though it was less than half the size it is now?
    My memory of the lane out the back of St Kevins was spending as long as possible walking down it on the way back from confession on the last friday of every month. (although I do accept that there were some kickings engaged in there as well)
    Does anyone remember the notorious Brother Floyd?

Do you remember being asked on the Monday if you went to Mass on the Saturday after the Friday confession ?
    2nd Class, Br. Walsh. 3rd Class Br. ? 4th class, Br Donovan. 5th class Br. Brierton " Charlie". 6th class, Br. King or Chewy. There was also Master Ryle.

Does anyone remember the First Holy Communion breakfast in Killians hall after the mass.

Pixbyjohn you have memories of Greystones going back long before my existance. Can you tell me what occupied the site of St Davids prior to the construction of those ghastly building? and was there always so few pubs in the village? even before the Byrnes if there ever was such a time?

I can remember going to the St. David's garden fete in the field where St. Davids is now. The old St. Davids was where St. Bridgets is now and there was a boarding part of St. Davids which was originally Whites hotel. St. Davids junior school was in a house on the seafront on the harbour side of the new St. Davids building. The Nuns owned a lot of land between the convent and the sea front.

The Burnaby bar was owned by Mr. Larkin from the Whitshed road and the Beach house was owned by Danns, it was also a grocery shop. Hence the name that is used over the music bar now. The Woodlands had a nice bar and lounge with piano music . The La Touche which had a small bar and a nice open fire.

Does anyone remember the bathing boxes along the south beach and the Quarter Deck shop which sold teas, coffee, hot water and ice cream owned by Mrs Kieran, whose son runs Natures Gold.
    Does anyone remember when the beach was full every weekend and when donkey and pony rides were only 6 pence a go.

Does anyone have any photos of that time ?

The Tennis club used to be in a small area beside the old rugby club playing field before it moved to the spot opposite the La Touche Hotel. Now it is in a lovely spot almost back to where it started.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Jabba90 wrote: »
    shopping basket????.

Used to be where xtra vision and pianto classico is now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Great idea for a thread Sagat.

PixbyJohn, would you by any chance know or could you speculate why Charlesland is called Charlesland?

I've wondered for a while and made several inquiries but have drawn a blank.

Thanks.

PixbyJohn, would you by any chance know or could you speculate why Charlesland is called Charlesland?

Thanks.

Hi, I really don't know where the name originated but the lands where all the new development is now was farmlands owned by Evans and it was called Charlesland farm. Maybe I can get some info at a future time. The lands where the other Evans family lived was called Farrankelly (where Rodney Evans Motors is now ) and on Priory road there is another Evans farm.

I agree that this is a good thread and hopefully there are others out there who can come up with some more details.

Thanks for that PixbyJohn. So perhaps one of the Evans family was a Charles?

Knowing the local history of the area one lives in, gives one a 'sense of place' even for relative newcomers like myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 daraghm

Thanks.

Charlesland is the name of the townland that the estate is built on.

Not sure where I got this, but it's an old map of the general greystones area from the c. 1830's - the time of the first official OS mapping of the country, the first of it's kind in the world at the time I believe in terms of detail etc.

You'll see Delgany was much bigger than Greystones at the time (as was killincarrig), the coast guard at the bottom of what is now applewood heights, crispins cell shown as a church in ruins, one road in to town (school house the only building of note). The road down to the crispins (the grove) didn't even exist, and you got down to it from a lane further to the north (fox's lane i think it's called now).

Anyway, you'll see Charlesland boarded to the north by Three Trout stream, and to the west by the coast road to kilcoole.

I remember seeing a copy of the next revision of OS mapping (late 1800's or early 1900's) and it was amazing how much it had changed.

Thanks for that darraghm. The name Charlesland obviously goes a good way back then. Certainly the area has changed hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

The name Charlesland obviously goes a good way back then.

Probably named after some old king or other, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

daraghm wrote: »
    Not sure where I got this, but it's an old map of the general greystones area from the c. 1830's - the time of the first official OS mapping of the country, the first of it's kind in the world at the time I believe in terms of detail etc.

I remember seeing a copy of the next revision of OS mapping (late 1800's or early 1900's) and it was amazing how much it had changed.

The library used to have old OS maps of the area. I'm sure they're still there if people are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭DUBACC

Ah Lautrex!! Where the wife and I met back in the early 90's!

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Do you remember being asked on the Monday if you went to Mass on the Saturday after the Friday confession ?
    2nd Class, Br. Walsh. 3rd Class Br. ? 4th class, Br Donovan. 5th class Br. Brierton " Charlie". 6th class, Br. King or Chewy. There was also Master Ryle.

Does anyone remember the First Holy Communion breakfast in Killians hall after the mass.

You must be round even longer than me! I came in the late 60's.Br Donovan was still there and a Br Herren as well a floyd. all the others were Lay techers including Gerry O'Sullivan who was Headmaster until not that long ago.

They axed the comunion breakfast just before I made mine. My Brother was at it and I have some photos.

Regarding Charlesland, most townland names are corruptions of Irish names so it is unlikely there was any charles involved.

And to get really old what about Sr. Lucey and Miss Neelan in St. Brigets?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

drag0n79 wrote: »
    The library used to have old OS maps of the area. I'm sure they're still there if people are interested.

Would love to see the later map if anyone has a copy. Does anyone know what year Killincarrig House (now the Golf Club) fell into disuse/ruin and why? I remember strolling around it not many years before the club restored it, while the house looked like it had been abandoned for a while many of the surviving fixtures inside appeared fairly modern.

Advertisement