Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I'm sure some of you on here will remember the glory days of Greystones City FC.

Travelling to matches in the back of Dessie Cardiff's bus, a team of pure legends, Stallion Maher, The Menace, Speedy, Dunphy, Hooley, Matt, Glen Wall, Clarky etc. Usually hammered getting to the game never mind getting home.

Giving false names to the ref when someone got banned, running on with a flagon of cider when someone went down injured. And the weekly writeups in the Bray people telling tales of our 10-0 victory when we'd lost by a mile. Asking if anyone had lost a brown dufflecoat and thanking Mrs Maher for the lovely fruit scones at half time :)

I could be wrong but I think it was at a post match session up in Dunphy's that the now legendary song "shaggin' them down by the dargle", was born. It took Dunphy anothar few weeks to perfect and now it's preserved forever in the memories and minds of a generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 G-Dog

Joliegood wrote: »
    When Hillside was the cornfield.
    The Nissan Classic going through the town (1987 I think).
    Bitz bar in the Woodlands.
    Dodgy spice burgers in Cabanas.
    St Killians Hall
    CSSM
    Bernie Burkes shop in Blacklion now Hassetts
    The old disco bar, now Danns.
    When Watson and Johnson was a Leyland garage.
    The toilets and shop that opened in the summer near the Mens.
    The shelter opposite the Beach House.
    Buying fishing bait from a shed behind the La Touche shop. Think the owners name was Mr Ryan ?
    Getting a 1/4 lb of sweets on a Saturday from the La Touche shop.
    Being able to get in to use the pitch in the Bog for a random kick-about.
    The abbatoir at the bottom of Applewood Heights.
    The Post Office before it moved.
    The Stables for an under-age pint :eek::eek:
    Keatings and Darcy's bookies.
    Hillside used to be the "Barley Field". Does anyone remember before Heatherview was built they had left some huge mounds of dirt that were quickly converted into a BMX scrambling course?

G-Dog wrote: »
    Hillside used to be the "Barley Field". Does anyone remember before Heatherview was built they had left some huge mounds of dirt that were quickly converted into a BMX scrambling course?

The camel humps.

Back in the days when you left the house in the morning and didn't go home till you were hungry, most of that time was spent up there. Still bear the scars from a few the injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Swanner wrote: »
    The camel humps.

Back in the days when you left the house in the morning and didn't go home till you were hungry, most of that time was spent up there. Still bear the scars from a few the injuries

Did somebody run over you while you where eating a cream egg Swanner ?

We got everything here from banana's to beer......

• Advertisement

And lovely girls into the bargain....
    Huntthe wrote: »
    Did somebody run over you while you where eating a cream egg Swanner ?

:D

No, my centre of gravity seemed to be all wrong for some reason.

I still blame the Raleigh Burner :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Burnaby1

Hmmm, let's see....
    Riding down Greystones Main St in a dinghy in the snow (on the way up to the 13th in Greystones GC
    Hanging onto the back of a bus on my bike and getting a free 'drag' up the hill
    Not being able to buy bread in Ireton's because I hadn't ordered
    That strange man called Ryan (I think he's dead now) who fixed bikes down the lane to the footbridge
    Actually driving a train from Bray to Greystones (there was no such thing as H&S)
    All night lock-ins in Bitz
    Mad fancy dress discos in the Rugby Club
    My first 10 - 2am in Cabanas aged 14 or 15
    Great gigs in Bitz
    Being skinned by Frank Clark
    Robbing a boat and going mackrel fishing with a ball of string and a hook
    Going for a snog down the South beach
    and on...........

Red witches in Cabannas. The gorgeous elians girls. The Baldy bouncer everyone was afraid of.Id from prontoprint in Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Burnaby1

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Who remembers the siren on Charlie Evans' garage (now Davis Bros ) in Greystones, it used to be heard all over Greystones to signal the firemen to the station. There was also a bell in every fireman's house that rang at the same time.

Every time that siren went off, our dog used to stop in his tracks and howl until it stopped. I must admit, I once rang the fire brigade just to get the dog singing!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

Some of you guys would know this. Was there a shop in the middle of the Kindlestown estate, near the football pitch, behind the school? Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Ah yes, boats actually floating in the inner harbour - I remember that!

and Tesco... Quinnsworth... sandpit (great for cycling around and falling off the huge heaps of soil)... field...

And of course when the water was so deep at the "Mens" that when you dived in (off the actual diving board) that you had better know how to swim or learn right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

And of course when the water was so deep at the "Mens" that when you dived in (off the actual diving board) that you had better know how to swim or learn right there!

And the raft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

weebelly wrote: »
    Some of you guys would know this. Was there a shop in the middle of the Kindlestown estate, near the football pitch, behind the school? Just curious.

Yes there was a shop there run by a Mc Garry family and then by the Kelly family. It has since been demolished along with the changing rooms and replaced by houses built by the council.

Does anyone remember that there was a garden centre in the carpark in front of Quinnsworth (now Tesco). It was run my Tich Mc Comish.Then later there was another garden centre on the grass area under the overflow carpark at Quinnsworth. Neither of them lasted very long.

Swanner wrote: »
    And lovely girls into the bargain....

Long ago Greystones was a great place for the visiting Scottish scouts to come every year. At least 1 visiting Scot met and married a local girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drag0n79

weebelly wrote: »

Yep - in Kenmare Heights really. The owners lived in the house beside (above?) it.
    There was a big granite plaque outside, think it said something on it about Dr. Ryan, he donated the land for the Kenmare estate or something - is that right pixbyjohn?

drag0n79 wrote: »
    Yep - in Kenmare Heights really. The owners lived in the house beside (above?) it.
    There was a big granite plaque outside, think it said something on it about Dr. Ryan, he donated the land for the Kenmare estate or something - is that right pixbyjohn?
    Yes you are correct. It was at Kenmare Heights.
    Dr. Ryan was a Fianna Fail TD and at one time was finance minister. He donated the land that is now the soccer pitch at Kenmare Heights. He lived in Kindlestown House and owned the farm. His wife was a writer and used to sit in the Turret of the house whilst writing. His grandson is now an MEP, Eoin Ryan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Does anyone remember that there was a garden centre in the carpark in front of Quinnsworth (now Tesco). It was run my Tich Mc Comish.Then later there was another garden centre on the grass area under the overflow carpark at Quinnsworth. Neither of them lasted very long.

yeah i remember this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NITBY

This thread is like watching a movie of your life - brilliant! It has brought back some other memories that I think some of you will recall from 70's, 80's and the 90's;
    • The miserable train station guy with his famous line when you tried to get a child fare - 'You're a hairy looking 15 year old'
    • Climbing that amazing tree up the road from Iretons
    • Getting into Cabanas by showing a bank card (like ATM card but we had no ATMs!)
    • Bitz bar with fluorescent lights showing everyones dandruff - and Wally collecting glasses - did his entire wardrobe consist of sleeveless t-shirts?
    • Playing snooker in the Stables and eyeing Lousie Doyle in her mini skirts
    • Buying air fix models in the La Touche shop - I wonder if all the stock is still there on the shelves?
    • The CSSM stage on the beach constructed of sand - how long did that take to make?
    • Beach parties with Steve Carroll as DJ on roof of the shelter using a generator - must have kept all of Greystones awake
    • Getting shoes in Ferns Shop - I think they lasted about a week
    • The original Pizza Mill - only a take away but first pizza place in the town
    • Sitting outside old Greystones Golf Club waiting for a caddy - 4.5 hours work for £3
    • Playing Pac Man and Space Invaders in Soundz when it was beisde the park - no lights in the room apart from the screens on the game console
    • Rubex cube race-offs in CBS - Redmond O'Hanlon and David Maher I think?
    • The Coca Cola and Fanta Yo-yo's from The Shopping Basket - the kids playing marbles were so out of date!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

NITBY wrote: »
    This thread is like watching a movie of your life - brilliant! It has brought back some other memories that I think some of you will recall from 70's, 80's and the 90's;

[[*]Beach parties with Steve Carroll as DJ on roof of the shelter using a generator - must have kept all of Greystones awake
    [/LIST]

It kept Howth awake too apparently :eek::eek:. Sound carried accross the bay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Antibarney

She sang at a few of them from the stage (truck trailer ) at the harbour.

Do you remember Sammy Ward playing there with his various bands ?
    Sammy came back from England in the early '70s with a band called
    " This Village ", other members were the Kavanagh Brothers from Blacklion,
    Noel, Michael and Stephen with John Quinn ( father of the 3 Qs ) on lead guitar. They could sell out the Rugby Club in those days.

Antibarney wrote: »
    Do you remember Sammy Ward playing there with his various bands ?
    Sammy came back from England in the early '70s with a band called
    " This Village ", other members were the Kavanagh Brothers from Blacklion,
    Noel, Michael and Stephen with John Quinn ( father of the 3 Qs ) on lead guitar. They could sell out the Rugby Club in those days.

Remember them well, Sammy has passed on. John Quinn is still in Greystones. Where are the Kavanagh lads now?

[*]The original Pizza Mill - only a take away but first pizza place in the town
    [/LIST]

Yes it was where The Happy Pear is now, owned by a Ms Serpico then she moved to where the Chinese take away is now. then she sold the business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've removed some posts as they contain personal details about people.

thecommander, please use the report post button in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

eoin wrote: »
    thecommander, please use the report post button in future.

Will do. Didnt think it was fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭sagat

[*]Climbing that amazing tree up the road from Iretons
    [/LIST]

The Monkey tree sadly gone, always imagined I'd teach my kids to climb the same tree I learned to climb in my youth.

Question: Does anyone know why the Turn Pike is called the Turn Pike?

Remember them well, Sammy has passed on. John Quinn is still in Greystones. Where are the Kavanagh lads now?

They won the Lotto and tried to settle here but discovered that Greystones will never change and that John Nolan (r.i.p.) was right all along so they decided to emigrate. :P

sagat wrote: »
    Question: Does anyone know why the Turn Pike is called the Turn Pike?

A turnpike was a primitive form of turnstile -- a gate across the road, opened on payment of a toll.

Maybe it was a private pathway at one time.

Antibarney wrote: »
    They won the Lotto and tried to settle here but discovered that Greystones will never change and that John Nolan (r.i.p.) was right all along so they decided to emigrate. :P

Yeh, I still get a big kick out of the orange parade every 12th of July ;)
    Maybe it was a private pathway at one time.

Yes it was.

• Advertisement

Huntthe wrote: »
    Yeh, I still get a big kick out of the orange parade every 12th of July ;)

I wasn't going to mention that Hunty, or that Greystones used to have one of the biggest Orange Parades outside of Bitterland or that the Church of the Holy Rosary was stoned during one of those parades in the olden days when Commander Captain Mainwarings stalked the land, in case I upset someone.

Advertisement