Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skelley's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Sky installers were there today...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

wow great news. about time too but at least it means theyve finally taken it on board - cheers steve, ill get my sky news fix in the morning yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

I have to say they've outdone themselves this time. Why in the name of Buddha have they moved all the weights to the other side of the gym. When the place is busy you've got at least 8/9 lads jockying for a bit of space in this area. The area that was originally used for free weights is now used for floor exercises and normally has about 4/5 members using it at the same time. The mind boggles!?!:eek: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

I think this is because the original free weights area was sitting directly over the new therapy rooms, Unique Touch and Lola Belle. I had a massage one night and the noise from the weights hitting the floor was incredible. Sounded like a herd of elephants. Pity they didn't think of this when they designed the place - I agree the free weights don't really fit where they are now. It all looks cramped, and not a good use of space at all really.

My other pet peeve with Jackie Skelly's is re the extra fees for swimming, yoga and pilates classes. Their excuse is that none of their instructors are qualified to teach these classes so they have to being in outsiders but to be perfectly honest I don't think we should have to stump up for external teachers just cos they didn't employ decent instructors in the first place. They should bear the cost of this not us. I joined the gym on the understanding that these classes were part and parcel of the whole deal. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

The whole idea is to make a healthy profit margin.

I joined another gym, one of the instructors was fully qualified as a Yoga and Pilates teacher, yet in the fine print of the membership contract, these classes were extra.

It is a royal pain in the a**e, but it's not unusual (why does Tom Jones spring to mind :confused: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

NewHome wrote:
    I think this is because the original free weights area was sitting directly over the new therapy rooms, Unique Touch and Lola Belle. I had a massage one night and the noise from the weights hitting the floor was incredible. Sounded like a herd of elephants. Pity they didn't think of this when they designed the place - I agree the free weights don't really fit where they are now. It all looks cramped, and not a good use of space at all really.

My other pet peeve with Jackie Skelly's is re the extra fees for swimming, yoga and pilates classes. Their excuse is that none of their instructors are qualified to teach these classes so they have to being in outsiders but to be perfectly honest I don't think we should have to stump up for external teachers just cos they didn't employ decent instructors in the first place. They should bear the cost of this not us. I joined the gym on the understanding that these classes were part and parcel of the whole deal. :mad:

We probably have them on legal grounds here, because I was told the same thing and, I asked about martial arts classes to which they replied that they would have these if there was enough interest. She absolutey 100% told me that Pilates and Yaga and Swimming classes were free. Unfortunately, I've paid for the whole year otherwise I'd stop going......well I almost have anyway!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I felt pretty cheated after joining too - I was told that once you have membership in one of the Jackie Skelly gyms, you have access to all of them. And of course we don't, you have to pay another fee for that privelige, I think its 200 (but you get free towels every visit too!!).

By the way.....
    Did anyone manage to make it to the social night the gym was holding in Script last Thursday? How was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mystery lady

i've given up on the private mebership gyms, they are too damn expensive and never have convenient class times etc...
    the public gyms are the way to go. Markevicz Leisure Centre down past trinity or the YMCA on Aungier street. goodbye to fees and rude staff members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

has anyone tried curves in the meridian? Was thinking that might be better than a gym as its so short?? My routine is usually pay for the gym, go to the gym a few times, get fed up with packing bags to go to the gym, leave the gym :rolleyes:
    really like the idea of just walking in and walking (or crawling) out!
    Any members here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Dubgirl, I couldn't recommened curves enough. I was at the one in Bray for months then joined the one in Greystones when it opened but I then gave up to join Jackie Skellys.
    Curves is great and does work if you go the three times a week that they ask you to do, the only thing is it gets a little boring doing the same workout all the time and you can't listen to your mp3 player because you have to listen to their tape to let you know when to change machines. Other than that the girls are great the room is lovely and the fact that it's women only is great too! All the ladies have a great natter!! Not that expensive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Has anyone cancelled their membership yet? I'm thinking about it and I would be interested in hearing what Jackie Skelly's reaction was. I had another look at the agreement I signed when joining and it seems pretty hard to get out of, but then again they haven't lived up to their side of the bargain -- I still haven't had my assessment or any of these mythical personal training sessions that the website talks about. At the end of the day if I instruct my bank to stop paying the direct debit then there doesn't seem to be a whole lot they can do about it but would be interested in hearing how they're handling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 viper c

Mullie wrote:
    I felt pretty cheated after joining too - I was told that once you have membership in one of the Jackie Skelly gyms, you have access to all of them. And of course we don't, you have to pay another fee for that privelige, I think its 200 (but you get free towels every visit too!!).

By the way.....
    Did anyone manage to make it to the social night the gym was holding in Script last Thursday? How was it?

Yeah i was at the night in Script, it was really good fun and there was lots of the staff there, they all seem really nice, i have read some bad things on the board in relation to jackie skelly greystones, but i have to admit, i have been a member there for the last couple of months and i really like it, i heard that it was a bit unorginized at the start but now it seems to have all died down and the initial novelty has worn off with some of the members. Its standard that you have to pay a little extra to become a member of all the J.S. clubs and i dont think it is that much really (i only paid an extra €9 per mth for the privelage) as i also use Swords, although this club is not as nice as Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 daveyo

hey Gan.. if you wanna cancel your membership i'd recommend ya tell them your moving or legally you'll have to pay for the full year.. this is how they be makin so much dough with such a limited basic service... hang your head in shame Jackie..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OFB

GAN wrote:
    Has anyone cancelled their membership yet? I'm thinking about it and I would be interested in hearing what Jackie Skelly's reaction was. I had another look at the agreement I signed when joining and it seems pretty hard to get out of, but then again they haven't lived up to their side of the bargain -- I still haven't had my assessment or any of these mythical personal training sessions that the website talks about. At the end of the day if I instruct my bank to stop paying the direct debit then there doesn't seem to be a whole lot they can do about it but would be interested in hearing how they're handling it.

Hi Gan Did you cancel, I have only used the Gym 3 times since I joined as it does not have the equipment I was told it would have.:mad:

have decided to stick it out for a couple more weeks to see if things improve. Have you spoken to anyone down there about the fact that the equipment you were told would be there isn't -- it sounds like a pretty clear case of breach of contract to me, and I can't imagine they could reasonably pursue you for the money in those circumstances.

And let's face it, they are so disorganised down there that it would probably take them months to even notice you'd stopped paying!

a mate of mine decided to just cancel their direct debt with Jackie and she was'nt havinn any of it.. nasty legal letter .. pay for the year or else!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OFB

I did once go down but had to deal with the counter girl as the manager was not available to speak. At this stage I might just wait and not renew my membership (by giving the 2 months notice) and rejoin the Glenview. Better the devil you know................ At least they had all the equipment I required and it is a better supervised Gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

can you transfer your membership to someone else and let them take over
    the direct debit?? I ask as I know someone who had to join an adult up in order for her son to join so she chose her daughter, now her daughter is emigrating and the mother is left with the monthly D.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Has anyone used the pool recently? Earlier reports were a bit negative - has it improved?

edit: And specifically, has anyone taken swimming lessons there?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I've started using the pool recently and its been quite good. Generally its quiet, 3 people per swim lane tops.
    The only problem is it's too short. Anyone know the length? I'm guessing around 22m??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

For those of you who were talking about cancellation:
    I'm not a member and never been there so I don't know anything about the gym but if as you say you can spot any breach of contract or any lack of promised services equipment the way to go would be:
    1. Write to them first and state your problem and give them 2 weeks to sort it out and ask them to either suspend charging your DD or extend you you member ship for the duration it takes to fix the problem. Keep a copy of the letter.
    2. Naturally they would ignore your letter (most probably). Then send a copy of your letter alongside a very simple form to "Small Claims Court" and they'll look after it. They usually take customer's side in this cases and JK has to reply within 2 weeks or otherwise pay up. definitely worth the effort!
    for info on how to deal with small claims court: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

I was up in the gym last night, I hadn't been up for a few weeks due to an injury. I have to say though, the place has gone to ****. It was absolutely heaving last night, I wasnt able to use alot of the machines, and where they have the free weights now is a joke. 10 lads trying to lift weights in that space is laughable. And yet theyre still pushing for new members to join The flooring up there has become badly warped and is in effect a hazard. On top of that, although it doesnt bother me theyre advertising for Maltezers upstairs!?!. The entire enterprise is motivated by making cash and not trying to get people fit and healthy. (One instructor upstairs for over 50 people) Theyre relentless pushing of the sun booths flies in the face of good health. I'm not going to renew my membership as it's an absolute waste of time and money.

I totally agree with you on the sunbeds issue -- it's all the more shocking when you consider that Jackie Skelly herself is a cancer survivor. She should be hanging her head in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CatD

anyone interested in taking over my membership? there are 9 months remaining at €61 a month plus €45 joining fee. Call me if you are! 0873819744

would anyone like to take over my membership..? please take it off my hands.......... money well spent if your a gym bunny. pvt message me , cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

I'm half thinkin a joinin until juneish 2007 Gimme a shout on 0879838849

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

How much does anyone pay for a years membership in Jackie Skelleys?
    It appears there are a number of different rates going around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

slickmcvic wrote:
    I'm half thinkin a joinin until juneish 2007 Gimme a shout on ...

slickmcvic - probably best to arrange it via Private Message rather than posting your number on a public forum? I can remove your number from your post if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dapper

Jackie Skelly Greystones is an absalute shamm of a place...I joined in march or april went 3 times and i found the staff to be very rude..didn't want to listen to any views let alone a complaint and i cancelled my Girlfriends membership after leaveing a good 15 - 20 messages for there membership team to call me eventually they did cancel after calling in person...i stop going myself due to the fact that its more like a creche then a gym the place a shamm...Now i have there accounts team treatening me with legal action because i cancelled my direct debit and told them i did not use nor wished to ever use there gym due to the lack of customer service and uncontrolled or unsupervised children in the place...Its funny how things turn around when you stop paying they then start to call you but before that they dont care...they have now handed it over to some legal/debt collection company...i verbally told Jackie Skelly i wont be paying for something i used 3 times...any advice pls....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

[...Its funny how things turn around when you stop paying they then start to call you but before that they dont care...they have now handed it over to some legal/debt collection company...i verbally told Jackie Skelly i wont be paying for something i used 3 times...any advice pls....[/QUOTE]

Make sure you document you complaint ie problems encountered, dates you complained etc. Try and get some of their blurb to see if you can show how your experience contradicts what they advertised. Send copies of this to them and to the debt collection company. I would hazard a guess that they will back off although they will proably send you a series of very formal threatening letters. If they continue to pursue be a little bit careful and get some legal advice because while they havent a prayer of ever getting the money from you if it went to court, they could get a debt registered against you and that can make your life awkward if you go looking for loans etc.

Advertisement