Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jackie Skelley's

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dapper

Cheers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

Yea, I have to agree about the customer service in JS Greystones....it's terrible. I was a member of Westwood for 4 years before moving to Wicklow and I've been a member of JS for the since around March.

There's two of the girls in particular who are just horribly rude and disinterested. In fact, there were three, but I haven't seen one in a while...maybe she's gone. They wont even look up to greet members coming in the door.

I think the gym is okay, but very overpriced compared to what you get in other gyms for a cheaper subscription. They seem to take their time fixing any issues that arise, for example...a small issue thats been getting on my wick...there's a clock that's been broken for months in the stretching area...surely they can address issues like that...I've mentioned to the girls at the desk once or twice but its still there.

Also the 6 o'clock closing time, fair enough on a Sunday, but on a Saturday..surely they could push it to 8 or 9...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 skeeterdom

Yes! one of them reminds me of the little Britain sketch "Computer Says No! Cough Cough Cough" In fact I am always tempted to say that as I scan my card going in. the latest insult? They wanted €3.00 for broken key tag, not missing but broken..............

• Registered Users Posts: 13 skeeterdom

GAN wrote:
    I totally agree with you on the sunbeds issue -- it's all the more shocking when you consider that Jackie Skelly herself is a cancer survivor. She should be hanging her head in shame.

Yes! Thankyou. My sis has B.C. at the moment and while I wanted to support the fundraiser I felt like vandalising the "Unlimited Sunbeds" poster with ACTION SKIN CANCER! Why would anyone pay for the chance to get cancer, and look like an oompa loompa....

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

skeeterdom wrote:
    They wanted €3.00 for broken key tag, not missing but broken..............

I've had this problem twice. The cards aren't very well made and the barcode tends to fade, and then they try to charge you to replace the dodgy product they provided in the first place! Grrrrr!!!
    I've just refused to pay and told them I'd sign in each time, they've replaced mine twice without me paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

Thanks for the info guys. I have been contemplating a switch from Westwood due to convenience but having seen the (what I would consider) lack of and poor equipment available for such a new gym on a recent visit and reading the experiences of people here I won't be changing!!

Can't believe they are charging for new cards. My Westwood one has broken a few times and there has never been any question about charging for it to be replaced!

As for insisting you find someone else to take over your membership should you not want to continue - are they having a laugh!!!?

I've been to a couple of gyms in Dublin over the past year or so and I have to say I was not at all impressed with what I saw at J Skelly's.

Before this is censored, I would point out I am in no way affiliated to any gym other than as a normal member!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 daveyo

jackie kip skelly... i changed over my membership recently and they wanted me to pay for 3monts that i had'nt paid, cancelled the dd. clever.!!. got horrible pay up or else we more or less send the heavies round.. i explained that the gym was not what i had expected or led to believe..
    tackled her on customer service and the terrible cleaning of the place, hair in the showers etc.. and said i would be not paying the 180.. and she backed down.. so stand up to these people and tell them your not paying for an inferior service.. because thats what your getting folks.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Breughel

I, too, left the Mariott to join Greystones. I left the Marriott because the gym was tiny, there was no space for floor work, there were no useful classes, there were very few machines, the lockers were too small to fit a gym bag and the showers were mouldy.
    The pool was good, as was the plunge pool and sauna.
    It was typical of a hotel gym - designed for hotel guests who only want it for a day or two but funded by the subscriptions of the regular members.
    In contrast, JS' is a barn where there is plenty of space, there are lots of different classes, the pool is not cold when one swims in it, the staff are like any other Irish staff today - some are casual to the point of rudeness and others are extremely helpful - and the lockers just about fit a gym bag.
    I was not amazed to find a lot of children in the pool during the Christmas holidays but I was surprised at the opening hours over Christmas, which seemed to be designed entirely for the benefit of the staff rather than the members.
    However, if you have complaint, make it to the management - don't just whine anonymously on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Neidin

Jackie Skelly in Swords should be nominated for some class of award. They consistently maintain low standards in everything from facilities, to staffing and hygiene. I have never felt so duped in all my dealings with clubs and other gyms. Has anyone out there tried to cancel their contract, before the year is up, with any success. I've tried contacting the manager, and have spoken to the receptionist so many times I'll need to put her on my Christmas card list. 19 phonecalls in the last 3 weeks, emails sent and I haven't heard a word.

I spoke to her last year about some problems and she never returned my call. I got sick of waiting, lost interest and gave up but I haven't been on the premises since Easter 2006 and I'm determined to get my money back for the months I didn't use the gym.

Those of you considering joining - SAVE your money.

Anyone have an advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Sent you a PM neidin. Check other thred below also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JSFool

Hi all!

For those of you looking for a get out clause from JS Fitness, we may have just found it. Direct Debit payments were increased in January 2007 without notification to all members. This is against the Direct Debit agreement. It seems, we can claim our money back from the bank (indemnity claim) and they will seek repayment from JS. As far as I am concerned, my contract with JS is null and void as of January 1st 2007 as I did not authorise nor was I aware of an increase in membership fees. I signed a contract for a set amount and that is binding.

If you are currently being threatened with Debt Collectors, my advice is sit tight! Everyone was delighted when JS opened but they have done nothing but rip off this community since the day they got here!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

I actually quite like the JS gym in Greystones. I've been a member from the start. There was a problem with kids for a bit there but it seems to have been sorted out now. I have to agree about the broken machines though.. there is ALWAYS something wrong with the machines and bits hanging off. All the safety switches on the treadmills are broken. The place could really do with a big clean!

The instructors have always been very nice to me. There was one I wasn't mad about but I think that person has left and I find the others nothing but pleasant. I agree that paying for the pilates classes etc is crazy.. we pay enough but there are some really good classes that ask for no extra charge, give them a try.

For everyone trying to get out of their memberships for genuine reasons.. I think you are just getting a tough time because of all the people who joined and tried to cancel because they couldn't be bothered going. Prob about 90% of Charlesland joined and about 20% actually go so they must have made a fortune and have plenty of cash to put towards solicitors and debt collectors!

I would have thought that most of the points you made in your first paragraph are relevant enough and would entitle you to cancel membership and get a refund. Broken equipment is dangerous. Dirt is dirt is dirt and not great for you.
    Yes there are some nice people working there. I suppose its up to the individual what they pay for. have a look at total fitness near lamb doyles for contrast.
    Personally I think JS sucks and I wouldnt worry about solicitors or debt collectors. No claims will never get to the small claims tribunal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Magnets21

I cancelled my membership with Greystones, after not receiving all the promises made to me on my joining, and trying for months to get some sort of training plan which was also promised. I received all the threatening letters, i tried to call 3 -5 times a week and called down 5 - 6 times, the Accounts Person Gareth was never there or unable to take my call. He was also unable to call me back or anything, I tried for 3 months, eventually i stopped and i never heard anything back from them, so I forgot all about it. Here i was living happily in my own little world. Silly me, i looked at my credit card account to find that they had taken 2 months payment from it, completely unauthorised and without giving me an knowledge prior to doing so. I called, eventually after having to threaten the receptionist with bodily harm, she put me through to accounts and all that was said to me, was basically we have your money and you can nothing about it. Now i dont know about anyone else, but i think that is competely disgraceful. And wouldnt even acknowledge that they didnt keep to their contract and all but threatened me with cops and solicitors, even though they had taken the money. So to anyone even remotely thinking of joining this place or any other Jackie Skelly, STOP, put down the pen, put the money back in your pocket and back away from the computer.

Magnets21 wrote:
    I cancelled my membership with Greystones, after not receiving all the promises made to me on my joining, and trying for months to get some sort of training plan which was also promised. I received all the threatening letters, i tried to call 3 -5 times a week and called down 5 - 6 times, the Accounts Person Gareth was never there or unable to take my call. He was also unable to call me back or anything, I tried for 3 months, eventually i stopped and i never heard anything back from them, so I forgot all about it. Here i was living happily in my own little world. Silly me, i looked at my credit card account to find that they had taken 2 months payment from it, completely unauthorised and without giving me an knowledge prior to doing so. I called, eventually after having to threaten the receptionist with bodily harm, she put me through to accounts and all that was said to me, was basically we have your money and you can nothing about it. Now i dont know about anyone else, but i think that is competely disgraceful. And wouldnt even acknowledge that they didnt keep to their contract and all but threatened me with cops and solicitors, even though they had taken the money. So to anyone even remotely thinking of joining this place or any other Jackie Skelly, STOP, put down the pen, put the money back in your pocket and back away from the computer.
    Magnet, lodge your complaint with small claims now. You will get something of a refund. I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

you should also lodge a complaint with the Director of Consumer Affairs. They make their adjudications public, and I think the public deserves to know what way this company operates. Taking money from your credit card account is disgraceful and, as far as I'm aware, totally illegal. I would get your solicitor to lob in a letter saying you will take legal action if they don't refund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

I have been completely scammed out of it. I signed up for 3 months in the summer last year. At the time tried to sign me up for a year long contract saying it was alot cheaper but I pointed out that I had a free gym in college so I don't need one. Towords the end of August I asked the recepionist how long I had left on my subscription and she said 2 days, I had'nt been back since.

I came home from Canada yesterday with a letter from them saying that I owe them 185euro for 2 months. I called in just now and I have been paying that rate since last August without my knowledge! Apparently they have it down on my contract that they do Automatic Renewals and that you have to cancel it. I am in shock, I am anoyed at myself to for not noticing the money dissapear out of my account!

Beau wrote:
    I have been completely scammed out of it. I signed up for 3 months in the summer last year. At the time tried to sign me up for a year long contract saying it was alot cheaper but I pointed out that I had a free gym in college so I don't need one. Towords the end of August I asked the recepionist how long I had left on my subscription and she said 2 days, I had'nt been back since.

I came home from Canada yesterday with a letter from them saying that I owe them 185euro for 2 months. I called in just now and I have been paying that rate since last August without my knowledge! Apparently they have it down on my contract that they do Automatic Renewals and that you have to cancel it. I am in shock, I am anoyed at myself to for not noticing the money dissapear out of my account!
    This is a disgrace. Go after them. You havn't used that facility during that time and are entitled to a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

They are UNBELIEVABLE!!! Anyone thinking of joining should think again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

This is a disgrace. Go after them. You havn't used that facility during that time and are entitled to a refund.
    Hammie, if that guy signed a contract and that was one of the clauses, then he probably won't have much recourse.

It should perhaps have been pointed out to him that there was an automatic renewal clause, but it's up to the individual to read a contract before signing. Same goes for anything you sign. It should always be read first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

It should perhaps have been pointed out to him that there was an automatic renewal clause, but it's up to the individual to read a contract before signing. Same goes for anything you sign. It should always be read first.

I have learned that lesson the hard way.

In any case it is very bad business ethics and they are only going to ruin themselves in the long run, who in their right mind will sign up now? These stories are becoming more regular.

Beau wrote:
    I have learned that lesson the hard way.

In any case it is very bad business ethics and they are only going to ruin themselves in the long run, who in their right mind will sign up now? These stories are becoming more regular.
    And the contracts are not legally binding. My information and experience tells me that once small claims cases are lodged(costs€20), JS will settle before it gets as far as Bray Court. We all want a gym in Greystones but lets not put up with this lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 brianopoolfan

I was shocked to find this website because these are the exact same problems that I've had with Jackie Skelly's Gym. I originally only asked for three months contract because I was moving abroad to live for good and at end of three months I even wrote letter to make sure the membership was cancelled, yet I have since (eight months after cancellation date!) been getting letters and phone calls to my parents house threatening legal action. This is harassment by the gym, not to mention incompetance! WARNING TO ANYONE THINKING OF JOINING....DO NOT JOIN...absolutely disgusting customer service.

I was shocked to find this website because these are the exact same problems that I've had with Jackie Skelly's Gym. I originally only asked for three months contract because I was moving abroad to live for good and at end of three months I even wrote letter to make sure the membership was cancelled, yet I have since (eight months after cancellation date!) been getting letters and phone calls to my parents house threatening legal action. This is harassment by the gym, not to mention incompetance! WARNING TO ANYONE THINKING OF JOINING....DO NOT JOIN...absolutely disgusting customer service.
    At the moment they are trying to recruit ex members in a telemarketing campaign. I had to tell them that I had to take them to the small claims court six months ago to get money back. They had given alist of ex members to a telemarketing girl. Continue to spread the word on this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Just to give another side to the story - I find JS great. I only use the pool but have absolutely no complaints. I understand that most of the problems discussed here are about getting out of the contract.

Personally I couldn't recommend it enough.

Just to give another side to the story - I find JS great. I only use the pool but have absolutely no complaints. I understand that most of the problems discussed here are about getting out of the contract.

Personally I couldn't recommend it enough.
    Many of the problems discussed her have been relative to contracts, yes. Other items have been, staff there, hygiene, the poo in the pool Joe Duffy Show incident, empty drink machines, warm water in the fonts,using fire ext.s for doorstops,etc. Aside from that it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublingirl

Magnets21 wrote:
    Silly me, i looked at my credit card account to find that they had taken 2 months payment from it, completely unauthorised and without giving me an knowledge prior to doing so. I called, eventually after having to threaten the receptionist with bodily harm, she put me through to accounts and all that was said to me, was basically we have your money and you can nothing about it. .

Same happened to me. However I went to my credit card company and got the money back that way because it was an unauthorised payement. All I had to provide to them was proof that I had cancelled my membership and even then I never actually had to send that off to them. Give that a go. Money was back on my credit card within 5 working days.

Hammiepeters

I take it you are being sarcastic?

Hammiepeters

I take it you are being sarcastic?
    Yes

• Advertisement

Well I was only posting my personal opinion, as I stated. No need to be smart with me.

Advertisement