Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jackie Skelley's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I heard last week that Glenview may be up for sale. If this is the case, it's unlikely that the site will remain as a Hotel, therefore the gym will disappear too.

Shame because it was good, I believe. The irish Rugby squad used to go there in the days when they used Greystones as their training ground.

I really like the gym in Loughlinstown. You can pay as you go if you like and there isn't a feeling that everyone is there to pose/be seen, unlike some gyms I've been a member of.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Grrrr - now I'm getting flowery. Have been a member since it opened end of March (though I paid in full the first day of registration). Waited WEEKS for the fitness assessments to get sorted as they were "too busy with the induction tours" initialls *hmmmmm*

Then 2 and a half weeks ago I finally got one booked for this morning. Unfortunately having flown in late from the UK last night, I slept in and missed it. Rang them as soon as I got into work to apologise, only to be told that they "dont know when they can re-schedule me". I asked how many people are doing the assessments but surprisingly the girl had no idea and hazarded a guess at "I'd say afew..."

So now I'm back on the "waiting list" again with no hope in sight for a new date (I was offered midday in 2 weeks time, seems they dont realise that alot of people work during the day).

I've been a member of 2 other gyms where in both cases an assessment was done within a week of joining. I know JS's is brand new etc but the length of time it seems to be taking them to get ANYTHING sorted is starting to get a little bit unreasonable (I think). Anyone else had the same problem? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 FVC

i eventually had my fitness assesment last weekend so if possible try to request Stuart as he appears to know his stuff. He mentioned that the Saturday morning assessments quite frequently do a 'no show' so it might be worth going up there and waiting around. there are approx 7 instructors. You can see their names on the desk at the top to the floor. The fitness assesments are pretty much booked up until June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

I have to say the administration aspect is deplorable. The staff don't seem to have had any training, and there doesnt even seem to be a manager in charge of the place. A few arses need to be kicked up there:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 JKB

Agree on that one.

Did anyone else put their name down for yoga ? I stuck it down and nothing was mentioned about paying for the sessions... got a call during the week asking for my payment to secure my place, €99 for 10 weeks, you would get a cheaper evening class for that. I told the girl that I thought it would have been covered by my membership fees and that I thought it was a bit pricey... no reaction !!

Also, I asked about that membership upgrade, where you get a free towel each visit, like I don't have any of my own :confused: and a friend gets a months membership etc etc, turns out you have to pay the extra €9 each month for the year ! Waste of money.... might ask if the €9 upgrade would entitle you to as many yoga classes in the year that you want :D

Phew, gald I got all that off my chest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Very annoyed with Jackie Skellys. Couldnt get an appointment for an
    assesment at all when I first joined. They didnt seem to want to give me a time that would suit me ie not when I was not at work. The girls on the front desk are always very rude and anytime I asked an instructor for some help I was brought to a machine told to use it for 15 minutes and then they would try me with something else. After the 15 minutes the instructor couldnt be found! This happened to me twice. The ladies changing room (which is normally ok I must admit) was absolutely disgusting and when I complained I was told there was no one to clean it that day even though three of them were sitting there having a chat. I have cancelled my dd mainly because of the rudeness of the staff All the rest I could have put up with. Walking to the beach every night instead. God I love a good ould moan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Little Bobby

Thanks for the insight Foxy. I'm moving up from Dublin in the next few months and was very keen to join this gym...until I read this thread!

Don't like the sound of it now...anyone know any good/local gyms?

have heard good stories about both the Marriot and the Glenview. Not as big as Jackie Skellys but apparently have a more personal touch, more time for their clients. Shame bout Jackie Skellys because the amenities are good and its just a walk away, If only they could rub up on their customer service skills. Welcome to Greystones by the way!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Little Bobby

Thanks alot, I'll check both gyms out...there's always Crunch (Dun Laoghaire) and Total Fitness (Sandyford)...they are pretty good - but its a long ole trek from greystones :rolleyes:

Maybe if enough people got onto the the management in Jackie Skellys they would change their ways...althought that's probably been suggested and tried a dozen times already!

• Advertisement

Haha - I'm the same. Have been asking for 3 months now as to why they only have 11 out of 12 working TV's, all on Irish channels, 9 of which show kids programmes in the morning and 2 of which arent even set up properly for widescreen (and never have been). Every time I asked what the story was I got a different response - someone from Sky is coming this week, we're waiting for a Sky card, we're in negotiations over the cost with Sky etc etc. Am getting tired of only having Bananaman as Gaelige and The Fimbles to watch in the morning but have given up asking. :(

Also was fairly miffed by the fact that gym users personal medical forms that you fill in on your assessment have been sitting in a pile in full view ontop of the filing cabinet for the last 3 days - surely thats a breach of customer confidentiality etc? (Not that I'd care if someone read mine, but your medical history is something quite private surely?) :confused:

In general I think management just dont seem to really care about customer feedback, once the money keeps rolling in......(wish theyd use some if to fix the broken tellies!!)

Have to say I did find the girls on reception were always very helpful though any time I spoke to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Sky installers were there today...

wow great news. about time too but at least it means theyve finally taken it on board - cheers steve, ill get my sky news fix in the morning yet ;)

I have to say they've outdone themselves this time. Why in the name of Buddha have they moved all the weights to the other side of the gym. When the place is busy you've got at least 8/9 lads jockying for a bit of space in this area. The area that was originally used for free weights is now used for floor exercises and normally has about 4/5 members using it at the same time. The mind boggles!?!:eek: :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

I think this is because the original free weights area was sitting directly over the new therapy rooms, Unique Touch and Lola Belle. I had a massage one night and the noise from the weights hitting the floor was incredible. Sounded like a herd of elephants. Pity they didn't think of this when they designed the place - I agree the free weights don't really fit where they are now. It all looks cramped, and not a good use of space at all really.

My other pet peeve with Jackie Skelly's is re the extra fees for swimming, yoga and pilates classes. Their excuse is that none of their instructors are qualified to teach these classes so they have to being in outsiders but to be perfectly honest I don't think we should have to stump up for external teachers just cos they didn't employ decent instructors in the first place. They should bear the cost of this not us. I joined the gym on the understanding that these classes were part and parcel of the whole deal. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

The whole idea is to make a healthy profit margin.

I joined another gym, one of the instructors was fully qualified as a Yoga and Pilates teacher, yet in the fine print of the membership contract, these classes were extra.

It is a royal pain in the a**e, but it's not unusual (why does Tom Jones spring to mind :confused: )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

NewHome wrote:
    I think this is because the original free weights area was sitting directly over the new therapy rooms, Unique Touch and Lola Belle. I had a massage one night and the noise from the weights hitting the floor was incredible. Sounded like a herd of elephants. Pity they didn't think of this when they designed the place - I agree the free weights don't really fit where they are now. It all looks cramped, and not a good use of space at all really.

My other pet peeve with Jackie Skelly's is re the extra fees for swimming, yoga and pilates classes. Their excuse is that none of their instructors are qualified to teach these classes so they have to being in outsiders but to be perfectly honest I don't think we should have to stump up for external teachers just cos they didn't employ decent instructors in the first place. They should bear the cost of this not us. I joined the gym on the understanding that these classes were part and parcel of the whole deal. :mad:

We probably have them on legal grounds here, because I was told the same thing and, I asked about martial arts classes to which they replied that they would have these if there was enough interest. She absolutey 100% told me that Pilates and Yaga and Swimming classes were free. Unfortunately, I've paid for the whole year otherwise I'd stop going......well I almost have anyway!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I felt pretty cheated after joining too - I was told that once you have membership in one of the Jackie Skelly gyms, you have access to all of them. And of course we don't, you have to pay another fee for that privelige, I think its 200 (but you get free towels every visit too!!).

By the way.....
    Did anyone manage to make it to the social night the gym was holding in Script last Thursday? How was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mystery lady

i've given up on the private mebership gyms, they are too damn expensive and never have convenient class times etc...
    the public gyms are the way to go. Markevicz Leisure Centre down past trinity or the YMCA on Aungier street. goodbye to fees and rude staff members

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

has anyone tried curves in the meridian? Was thinking that might be better than a gym as its so short?? My routine is usually pay for the gym, go to the gym a few times, get fed up with packing bags to go to the gym, leave the gym :rolleyes:
    really like the idea of just walking in and walking (or crawling) out!
    Any members here?

Dubgirl, I couldn't recommened curves enough. I was at the one in Bray for months then joined the one in Greystones when it opened but I then gave up to join Jackie Skellys.
    Curves is great and does work if you go the three times a week that they ask you to do, the only thing is it gets a little boring doing the same workout all the time and you can't listen to your mp3 player because you have to listen to their tape to let you know when to change machines. Other than that the girls are great the room is lovely and the fact that it's women only is great too! All the ladies have a great natter!! Not that expensive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Has anyone cancelled their membership yet? I'm thinking about it and I would be interested in hearing what Jackie Skelly's reaction was. I had another look at the agreement I signed when joining and it seems pretty hard to get out of, but then again they haven't lived up to their side of the bargain -- I still haven't had my assessment or any of these mythical personal training sessions that the website talks about. At the end of the day if I instruct my bank to stop paying the direct debit then there doesn't seem to be a whole lot they can do about it but would be interested in hearing how they're handling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 viper c

Mullie wrote:
    I felt pretty cheated after joining too - I was told that once you have membership in one of the Jackie Skelly gyms, you have access to all of them. And of course we don't, you have to pay another fee for that privelige, I think its 200 (but you get free towels every visit too!!).

By the way.....
    Did anyone manage to make it to the social night the gym was holding in Script last Thursday? How was it?

Yeah i was at the night in Script, it was really good fun and there was lots of the staff there, they all seem really nice, i have read some bad things on the board in relation to jackie skelly greystones, but i have to admit, i have been a member there for the last couple of months and i really like it, i heard that it was a bit unorginized at the start but now it seems to have all died down and the initial novelty has worn off with some of the members. Its standard that you have to pay a little extra to become a member of all the J.S. clubs and i dont think it is that much really (i only paid an extra €9 per mth for the privelage) as i also use Swords, although this club is not as nice as Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 daveyo

hey Gan.. if you wanna cancel your membership i'd recommend ya tell them your moving or legally you'll have to pay for the full year.. this is how they be makin so much dough with such a limited basic service... hang your head in shame Jackie..:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OFB

GAN wrote:
    Has anyone cancelled their membership yet? I'm thinking about it and I would be interested in hearing what Jackie Skelly's reaction was. I had another look at the agreement I signed when joining and it seems pretty hard to get out of, but then again they haven't lived up to their side of the bargain -- I still haven't had my assessment or any of these mythical personal training sessions that the website talks about. At the end of the day if I instruct my bank to stop paying the direct debit then there doesn't seem to be a whole lot they can do about it but would be interested in hearing how they're handling it.

Hi Gan Did you cancel, I have only used the Gym 3 times since I joined as it does not have the equipment I was told it would have.:mad:

have decided to stick it out for a couple more weeks to see if things improve. Have you spoken to anyone down there about the fact that the equipment you were told would be there isn't -- it sounds like a pretty clear case of breach of contract to me, and I can't imagine they could reasonably pursue you for the money in those circumstances.

And let's face it, they are so disorganised down there that it would probably take them months to even notice you'd stopped paying!

a mate of mine decided to just cancel their direct debt with Jackie and she was'nt havinn any of it.. nasty legal letter .. pay for the year or else!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OFB

I did once go down but had to deal with the counter girl as the manager was not available to speak. At this stage I might just wait and not renew my membership (by giving the 2 months notice) and rejoin the Glenview. Better the devil you know................ At least they had all the equipment I required and it is a better supervised Gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

can you transfer your membership to someone else and let them take over
    the direct debit?? I ask as I know someone who had to join an adult up in order for her son to join so she chose her daughter, now her daughter is emigrating and the mother is left with the monthly D.D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Has anyone used the pool recently? Earlier reports were a bit negative - has it improved?

edit: And specifically, has anyone taken swimming lessons there?

I've started using the pool recently and its been quite good. Generally its quiet, 3 people per swim lane tops.
    The only problem is it's too short. Anyone know the length? I'm guessing around 22m??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

For those of you who were talking about cancellation:
    I'm not a member and never been there so I don't know anything about the gym but if as you say you can spot any breach of contract or any lack of promised services equipment the way to go would be:
    1. Write to them first and state your problem and give them 2 weeks to sort it out and ask them to either suspend charging your DD or extend you you member ship for the duration it takes to fix the problem. Keep a copy of the letter.
    2. Naturally they would ignore your letter (most probably). Then send a copy of your letter alongside a very simple form to "Small Claims Court" and they'll look after it. They usually take customer's side in this cases and JK has to reply within 2 weeks or otherwise pay up. definitely worth the effort!
    for info on how to deal with small claims court: http://www.oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court.html

I was up in the gym last night, I hadn't been up for a few weeks due to an injury. I have to say though, the place has gone to ****. It was absolutely heaving last night, I wasnt able to use alot of the machines, and where they have the free weights now is a joke. 10 lads trying to lift weights in that space is laughable. And yet theyre still pushing for new members to join The flooring up there has become badly warped and is in effect a hazard. On top of that, although it doesnt bother me theyre advertising for Maltezers upstairs!?!. The entire enterprise is motivated by making cash and not trying to get people fit and healthy. (One instructor upstairs for over 50 people) Theyre relentless pushing of the sun booths flies in the face of good health. I'm not going to renew my membership as it's an absolute waste of time and money.

I totally agree with you on the sunbeds issue -- it's all the more shocking when you consider that Jackie Skelly herself is a cancer survivor. She should be hanging her head in shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CatD

anyone interested in taking over my membership? there are 9 months remaining at €61 a month plus €45 joining fee. Call me if you are! 0873819744

would anyone like to take over my membership..? please take it off my hands.......... money well spent if your a gym bunny. pvt message me , cheers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

I'm half thinkin a joinin until juneish 2007 Gimme a shout on 0879838849

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

How much does anyone pay for a years membership in Jackie Skelleys?
    It appears there are a number of different rates going around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

slickmcvic wrote:
    I'm half thinkin a joinin until juneish 2007 Gimme a shout on ...

slickmcvic - probably best to arrange it via Private Message rather than posting your number on a public forum? I can remove your number from your post if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dapper

Jackie Skelly Greystones is an absalute shamm of a place...I joined in march or april went 3 times and i found the staff to be very rude..didn't want to listen to any views let alone a complaint and i cancelled my Girlfriends membership after leaveing a good 15 - 20 messages for there membership team to call me eventually they did cancel after calling in person...i stop going myself due to the fact that its more like a creche then a gym the place a shamm...Now i have there accounts team treatening me with legal action because i cancelled my direct debit and told them i did not use nor wished to ever use there gym due to the lack of customer service and uncontrolled or unsupervised children in the place...Its funny how things turn around when you stop paying they then start to call you but before that they dont care...they have now handed it over to some legal/debt collection company...i verbally told Jackie Skelly i wont be paying for something i used 3 times...any advice pls....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

[...Its funny how things turn around when you stop paying they then start to call you but before that they dont care...they have now handed it over to some legal/debt collection company...i verbally told Jackie Skelly i wont be paying for something i used 3 times...any advice pls....[/QUOTE]

Make sure you document you complaint ie problems encountered, dates you complained etc. Try and get some of their blurb to see if you can show how your experience contradicts what they advertised. Send copies of this to them and to the debt collection company. I would hazard a guess that they will back off although they will proably send you a series of very formal threatening letters. If they continue to pursue be a little bit careful and get some legal advice because while they havent a prayer of ever getting the money from you if it went to court, they could get a debt registered against you and that can make your life awkward if you go looking for loans etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dapper

Cheers....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

Yea, I have to agree about the customer service in JS Greystones....it's terrible. I was a member of Westwood for 4 years before moving to Wicklow and I've been a member of JS for the since around March.

There's two of the girls in particular who are just horribly rude and disinterested. In fact, there were three, but I haven't seen one in a while...maybe she's gone. They wont even look up to greet members coming in the door.

I think the gym is okay, but very overpriced compared to what you get in other gyms for a cheaper subscription. They seem to take their time fixing any issues that arise, for example...a small issue thats been getting on my wick...there's a clock that's been broken for months in the stretching area...surely they can address issues like that...I've mentioned to the girls at the desk once or twice but its still there.

Also the 6 o'clock closing time, fair enough on a Sunday, but on a Saturday..surely they could push it to 8 or 9...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 skeeterdom

Yes! one of them reminds me of the little Britain sketch "Computer Says No! Cough Cough Cough" In fact I am always tempted to say that as I scan my card going in. the latest insult? They wanted €3.00 for broken key tag, not missing but broken..............

• Registered Users Posts: 13 skeeterdom

GAN wrote:
    I totally agree with you on the sunbeds issue -- it's all the more shocking when you consider that Jackie Skelly herself is a cancer survivor. She should be hanging her head in shame.

Yes! Thankyou. My sis has B.C. at the moment and while I wanted to support the fundraiser I felt like vandalising the "Unlimited Sunbeds" poster with ACTION SKIN CANCER! Why would anyone pay for the chance to get cancer, and look like an oompa loompa....

skeeterdom wrote:
    They wanted €3.00 for broken key tag, not missing but broken..............

I've had this problem twice. The cards aren't very well made and the barcode tends to fade, and then they try to charge you to replace the dodgy product they provided in the first place! Grrrrr!!!
    I've just refused to pay and told them I'd sign in each time, they've replaced mine twice without me paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Ice Man

Thanks for the info guys. I have been contemplating a switch from Westwood due to convenience but having seen the (what I would consider) lack of and poor equipment available for such a new gym on a recent visit and reading the experiences of people here I won't be changing!!

Can't believe they are charging for new cards. My Westwood one has broken a few times and there has never been any question about charging for it to be replaced!

As for insisting you find someone else to take over your membership should you not want to continue - are they having a laugh!!!?

I've been to a couple of gyms in Dublin over the past year or so and I have to say I was not at all impressed with what I saw at J Skelly's.

Before this is censored, I would point out I am in no way affiliated to any gym other than as a normal member!

jackie kip skelly... i changed over my membership recently and they wanted me to pay for 3monts that i had'nt paid, cancelled the dd. clever.!!. got horrible pay up or else we more or less send the heavies round.. i explained that the gym was not what i had expected or led to believe..
    tackled her on customer service and the terrible cleaning of the place, hair in the showers etc.. and said i would be not paying the 180.. and she backed down.. so stand up to these people and tell them your not paying for an inferior service.. because thats what your getting folks.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Breughel

I, too, left the Mariott to join Greystones. I left the Marriott because the gym was tiny, there was no space for floor work, there were no useful classes, there were very few machines, the lockers were too small to fit a gym bag and the showers were mouldy.
    The pool was good, as was the plunge pool and sauna.
    It was typical of a hotel gym - designed for hotel guests who only want it for a day or two but funded by the subscriptions of the regular members.
    In contrast, JS' is a barn where there is plenty of space, there are lots of different classes, the pool is not cold when one swims in it, the staff are like any other Irish staff today - some are casual to the point of rudeness and others are extremely helpful - and the lockers just about fit a gym bag.
    I was not amazed to find a lot of children in the pool during the Christmas holidays but I was surprised at the opening hours over Christmas, which seemed to be designed entirely for the benefit of the staff rather than the members.
    However, if you have complaint, make it to the management - don't just whine anonymously on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Neidin

Jackie Skelly in Swords should be nominated for some class of award. They consistently maintain low standards in everything from facilities, to staffing and hygiene. I have never felt so duped in all my dealings with clubs and other gyms. Has anyone out there tried to cancel their contract, before the year is up, with any success. I've tried contacting the manager, and have spoken to the receptionist so many times I'll need to put her on my Christmas card list. 19 phonecalls in the last 3 weeks, emails sent and I haven't heard a word.

I spoke to her last year about some problems and she never returned my call. I got sick of waiting, lost interest and gave up but I haven't been on the premises since Easter 2006 and I'm determined to get my money back for the months I didn't use the gym.

Those of you considering joining - SAVE your money.

Anyone have an advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Sent you a PM neidin. Check other thred below also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement